Since it’s September, I no longer feel like I am committing a sin by using pumpkin.

Is it back on the shelves?

I wouldn’t know – I’m still using pumpkin from last year. And I’m darn proud of it.

I love these breakfast cakes for multiple reasons. First, I don’t think I’ve ever made a breakfast cake. I don’t really know what considers this a breakfast cake, but I like the name. And obviously I would love eating cake for breakfast. Who wouldn’t?

Second – individual portions. I think that speaks for itself. If I eat two ramekins of cake, I really only had two pieces of cake. Right? That’s what I thought.

Third, I made them with whole wheat flour. I don’t care if that means nothing since there is sugar, butter and a doubly sugary glaze hiding in all the cake crevices, but I like it. It makes me feel good in my bones.

Notice I only made two breakfast cakes.

“Only” is the operative word here considering there is only one person in this house that likes pumpkin. And it isn’t Mr. How Sweet.

You do the math.

(Because, seriously, I’m really bad at math.)

Individual Pumpkin Spice Breakfast Cakes

1/8 cup cake flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pumpkin spice

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350.

Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add egg and mix until well combined. Add in vanilla and pumpkin. Mix dry ingredients together and add to pumpkin batter, only mixing until just combined.

Spray 2 ramekins with non-stick spray and pour batter into them. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Maple Glaze

3/4 cup powdered sugar

1/2 tablespoon maple syrup

drop of water

Mix syrup, water and sugar together to form a glaze. Depending on desired consistency, add more or less liquid.

Off to have cake for breakfast!

It doesn’t get any better.

(Unless there is bacon involved.)

126 Responses to “Pumpkin Spice Breakfast Cakes.”

Laura J. — September 8, 2010 @ 8:11 am

oh my gaaawsh those look sooo good!! most of the recipes for my son’s 4th bday are coming from your bloggy! :) haha sooo many amazing options!

Courtney @ Bread & Bokeh — September 8, 2010 @ 8:19 am

My first thought was, “yum, those look tasty,”….until I saw the glaze. Whoa. That’s all I got…

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — September 8, 2010 @ 8:42 am

“Breakfast cake.” I love it. I feel like it’s a good thing my boyfriend doesn’t know about your blog…he’d complain that I don’t cook enough. And probably try to hit on you.

Sara — September 8, 2010 @ 8:42 am

Oh yum!! If I could run home and make these right now, I totally would…but I think my boss would have a problem with that. :)

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — September 8, 2010 @ 8:43 am

Oh my gosh. Ramekins are randomly one item that I haven’t bought myself because I keep telling myself I’ll register for them when I get married someday. But, this may have just pushed me over the edge to screw that plan and just buy them. I need pumpkin cake in my life NOW.

the country cook @ Delightful Country Cookin' — September 8, 2010 @ 8:48 am

I can’t get enough of pumpkin, and the weather today where I am finally justifies my decision to eat it (as if we need justification!). These look absolutely delicious. It’s about time I started following you – I’m always excited about your recipes on Tasty Kitchen and just now came to visit here. http://www.delightfulcountrycookin.com

• Jessica — September 8th, 2010 @ 10:04 am

Thank you! I’m glad you stopped by. :)

Kelly — September 8, 2010 @ 8:50 am

can we find a place that is fall year-round? i would totally move there if it meant we could wear hoodies, jeans & sandals, bake pumpkin bread and look at the folliage all year round :)

Evan @swEEts — September 8, 2010 @ 9:01 am

I think I just died and went to pumpkin heaven.. I can’t wait to make these.. I just printed out the recipe.. I love pumpkin anything and for breakfast!? perfect!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete — September 8, 2010 @ 9:02 am

Cake for breakfast sounds amazing! I love the last shot of the glaze running all over the cake. Yum!

Stacey @ The Habit of Healthy — September 8, 2010 @ 9:38 am

‘Breakfast’ and ‘cake’ in the same sentence is a winner for me! Breakfast cake sounds amazing in so many ways!

april — September 8, 2010 @ 9:54 am

I’m still using the pumpkin I stocked up on last year too! But I’m down to 2 cans.. they better be selling it again!

Kate @ Cozydelicious — September 8, 2010 @ 10:43 am

Um, you had me at cake. Cake for breakfast is even better than pizza for breakfast!!! I am so making these ASAP! I might add in a few chopped nuts too. Yum!

Blond Duck — September 8, 2010 @ 11:34 am

I’m so glad I hoarded four cans of pumpkin!

Joe @ Eden Kitchen — September 8, 2010 @ 11:41 am

Mmm pumpkin spice! One of my favourite flavour combos!

Angela — September 8, 2010 @ 11:59 am

Yum. This can only work as a weekend recipe for me but it looks totally worth it. I love, love, love pumpkin especially if its in my own cake. Although I might get a little heavy handed with the glaze. :)

Yum Yucky — September 8, 2010 @ 12:14 pm

you mean I can eat this greedy treat for breakfast!?!? I have all the ingredients on hand except for the pumpkin. Ack!

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ — September 8, 2010 @ 12:44 pm

Those are so cute. They should be served at a b+b.

Sues — September 8, 2010 @ 12:46 pm

Cake for breakfast is the best! Especially if it involves pumpkin! Bacon wouldn’t hurt either. And I have lots of pumpkin leftover from last year, too. When it became available, I stocked up because of last year’s shortage!

Caitlin — September 8, 2010 @ 12:53 pm

Oh my, these look AMAZING. Pumpkin isn’t back in the stores around me yet :(
    I have already collected a bunch of pumpkin recipes from everyone’s blogs in the past few days and as soon as pumpkin is back – I’m having a pumpkin only baking day. Pumpkin Spice Breakfast Cakes are first up!

C.J. — September 8, 2010 @ 1:27 pm

I must make those asap. They look delicious. I’m so excited for all things fall!

homecookedem — September 8, 2010 @ 1:34 pm

That looks fabulous!! Such a yummy fall breakfast!! I love anything with pumpkin in it!! :)

Crystal — September 8, 2010 @ 2:04 pm

OMG, this is positively sinful and I love it! Gotta try it…these pics are making me drool…

Kristina @ My Life as a Mrs — September 8, 2010 @ 2:26 pm

holy moly those look UH-Mazing! I love Pumpkin anything… Bring on Fall! :)

jamie @ jamelafamela — September 8, 2010 @ 2:49 pm

this looks SO GOOD! I have to treat myself to this very very soon. I first need to stock up on pumpkin…

Dee — September 8, 2010 @ 2:56 pm

This looks so yummy! I am going to have to make this for my kids. It is the time of the season for Pumpkin.

Lisa @bakebikeblog — September 8, 2010 @ 3:25 pm

what a great idea to use the ramekins!

Ellen@FirednFabulous — September 8, 2010 @ 3:33 pm

Whoa, looks better than a cinnamon bun! Yummm.

Erin@ The Houndstooth Apron — September 8, 2010 @ 3:37 pm

I haven’t had any trouble finding pumpkin! Even with the shortage last year I was always able to get a can or two at a local grocery chain. Maybe the Midwest doesn’t use pumpkin as much, so we never ran out?

Miri of mirileigh.com — September 8, 2010 @ 3:55 pm

With these muffins and the cooler weather outside, you’re making me think it’s really fall already!

Amy — September 8, 2010 @ 4:16 pm

Good thing I went to every grocery store in a 30 mile radius today looking for pumpkin and FINALLY found some really expensive organic cans. I was going to make your pumpkin apple muffins but I might have to make these too!

Jessica@tastyandtrim — September 8, 2010 @ 4:17 pm

You had me when I read pumpkin, yum! That maple glaze looks insanely good. I must make these little cuties!

brittany — September 8, 2010 @ 4:32 pm

Mmm making these tomorrow. I love the Fall and pumpkin!! Have you tried the Pumpkin Spice latte from Starbucks? It’s delic!

• Jessica — September 8th, 2010 @ 4:46 pm

Oh yes. It’s the only coffee I like!

Cara — September 8, 2010 @ 4:42 pm

Cake any time of the day is fabulous!
    Call it a breakfast, lunch or supper cake; it’s all good in my books :)

Brittany — September 8, 2010 @ 5:33 pm

How do you come up with so many different, yet delicious and amazing looking recipes so quickly? I love pumpkin and pumpkin spice breakfast cakes sound fabulous. Can’t wait to try this recipe!

Brooke — September 8, 2010 @ 6:44 pm

YUM! I have been craving pumpkin for a couple of weeks now and can only find organic pumpkin right now. Hopefully soon it will be more readily available! I am making these asap!! Thanks for sharing! :)

Baking Serendipity — September 8, 2010 @ 6:57 pm

Amazing. Seriously. Simply amazing. I love pumpkin recipes and cake for breakfast with pumpkin in it sounds like the best meal ever. Definitely giving this one a try. Thank you!

Melissa — September 8, 2010 @ 7:22 pm

These look divine! Wish I had some pumpkin in the pantry…is organic pumpkin the same thing?

Pure2raw twins — September 8, 2010 @ 8:00 pm

I wish pumpkin was available all year round…one of my favorite things!

iheartspandex — September 8, 2010 @ 11:30 pm

WOW! I am impressed with this pumpkin cake. I’m not usually a pumpkin lover..but i think you might have changed me… Do you ever figure out the cal and stats on the food?

Thanks!!
    Larinna
    iheartspandex.com

• Jessica — September 9th, 2010 @ 3:43 am

Nope! You can see why in my FAQs, but feel free to plug the ingredients into a calorie calculator if you’d like!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — September 9, 2010 @ 12:31 am

:o that icing looks sooo good glazing over them! YUM

Jenn

CaSaundra — September 9, 2010 @ 5:54 am

I have a stockpile of canned pumpkin in my pantry just begging to be used–I can’t wait to try this recipe–I can practically smell it baking now :-)

Erin @ Cooking and the City — September 9, 2010 @ 9:55 am

Oh my goodness do these look good!!! Drooling a little over here.

I was so happy to leave the city for suburbia this past weekend and find canned pumpkin on grocery shelves there – obviously stuffed my suitcase full of a few cans and lugged it onto the train…so worth it.

Emily @ For Sweets Sake — September 9, 2010 @ 11:20 am

i love pumpkin :)

Kristy — September 9, 2010 @ 11:45 am

OMG, that looks so yummy!! I’ve got to buy some ramekins! lol

Josie @ Skinny way Of Life — September 9, 2010 @ 11:53 am

Ok I agree it really doesn’t get much better than that, my supermarket doesn’t have canned pumpkin back yet : ( It’s been toooo long!!!! oh do you think regular whole wheat or all purpose flour would work? I hardly ever have whole wheat pastry flour in the cupboards : P

• Jessica — September 9th, 2010 @ 12:16 pm

All purpose would definitely work, I can’t say for sure on the whole wheat – it may be a bit “grainy” and not as fluffy.

janetha g. — September 9, 2010 @ 3:35 pm

these look awesome! i wish i was having company over so i could impress them with these cute individual treats :)

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — September 9, 2010 @ 6:03 pm

Yum! I have a serious pumpkin addiction. I stash cans of it in the pantry for “emergencies” throughout the winter/spring when I have been known to randomly bake pumpkin bread. :) So, I’ve been itching to start doing some pumpkin baking this fall. We got our first pumpkin from the CSA this week, and now I think I know what I need to bake with it!

natalie (the sweets life) — September 10, 2010 @ 12:13 pm

i don’t know what i love more: the fact that these are pumpkin flavored or the fact that they’re baked in mini-ramekins. LOVE IT!

Joanne — September 10, 2010 @ 3:01 pm

I still have pumpkin sitting on my shelf from last year as well and I really need to use it so that i can buy masses when it starts to be available again this year. These breakfast cakes look delightful. I’m not sure what constitutes a breakfast cake either but I’m willing to take it at face value that these are totally meant to be eaten before noon.

joudie's Mood Food — September 12, 2010 @ 11:38 am

I love pumpkin and especially now with the autumn season coming it will work perfectly. What a great idea to make them in idividual pots. Genius!