Today is a special day: it is Mr. How Sweet’s birthday! Happy Birthday Mr. How Sweet!

Many moons ago Mr. How Sweet entered the world. If it was up to him, he would like to see steak with a side of chicken on the blog today. Or even the meal he had on Saturday afternoon – a cheeseburger with a side of orange chicken from Trader Joe’s. Yes, I’m serious. Next time I will take a picture.

I couldn’t make this stuff up.
We celebrated his birthday a little bit this weekend, and he opened his presents at 5am this morning. Who says you have to grow up? Sometime this week I’m going to make him his birthday dinner – filet and sweet potatoes.

And I may make some of this applesauce for the side, because I ate it all. He didn’t even get to taste it.

I have issues with sharing.

I’ve never actually made applesauce before. It has always seemed a bit too daunting of a task. Plus, I’m sort of lazy. And I couldn’t imagine it tasting better than cold-from-the-fridge sweetened applesauce that I ate buckets of when I was younger – doused with cinnamon sugar and all. Because what good is sweetened applesauce without the added sugar on top?
I was wrong. And trust me, it pains me to utter those words. Ask Mr. How Sweet. I’m not even sure if he has heard those words since we’ve been married. According to those with successful marriages, I should start saying them more often. So let me say it again.

I was wrong!

Not only was this applesauce quick and easy – it literally took less than 20 minutes to make – it was incredibly delicious. I ate it both hot and cold, and can’t decide which way I like it better.

I left the skins on and tried it a bit chunky first, then mashed it some more. I prefer it with as few chunks as possible.

If only my thighs thought the same way…

Quick Cinnamon Maple Applesauce

serves 2-3

2 apples, chopped (I used Honeycrisp)

2 tablespoons water

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

pinch of salt

pinch of nutmeg

1 tablespoon maple syrup

Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add water, apples, cinnamon and nutmeg, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and mash with a fork or potato masher.

I have an apple obsession. Be prepared. And scared. And hungry.

81 Responses to “Quick Cinnamon Maple Applesauce.”

Tabitha (From Single to Married) — September 20, 2010 @ 3:57 am

oh – I’ve got the hungry part covered! :)

Heather — September 20, 2010 @ 4:05 am

Yum! – Apples with maple sounds divine on this chilly morning. I think I’d have it warm with hot tea. Mmmm…

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) — September 20, 2010 @ 4:20 am

Aw just like my mom used to make! So delicious…and with Honeycrisps!? The BEST apples! This looks perfect for fall…! Happy bday Mr. How Sweet!

The Candid RD — September 20, 2010 @ 4:21 am

I love homemade applesauce. My grandma used to make it best and since eating hers I haven’t found a homemade applesauce that’s better. Maybe you will “prove me wrong” :) I rarely say that to Nick, but it definitely happens. So does this mean our marriage will be successful!?! Wahoo!

Happy Birthday to Mr. How Sweet!!!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — September 20, 2010 @ 4:25 am

Wanna hear something funny?….. my post today is almost exactly the same ;)

Great minds think alike ;)

Happy Birthday to Mr. How Sweet :) !!!!

• Jessica — September 20th, 2010 @ 4:47 am

oh my gosh…hahaha too funny!

Kim in MD — September 20, 2010 @ 4:26 am

Happy Birthday, Mr. How Sweet!

I love homemade applesauce…this one looks especially delicious with addition of maple syrup! YUM!

Stephanie — September 20, 2010 @ 4:37 am

happy bday to mr. how sweet!!!!

that applesauce looks so good – i don’t like the grocery store type but i definitely think i could get into this one!

amanda — September 20, 2010 @ 4:41 am

Happy Birthday Mr. How Sweet!! BTW, I just got some delicious fresh apples from the farmer’s market this weekend and it is another reason to love fall food!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — September 20, 2010 @ 4:46 am

Happy Birthday to Mr. How Sweet!!! I hope it’s a great one!

Tina — September 20, 2010 @ 4:52 am

Happy birthday to Mr. How Sweet! And that applesauce looks really good.

Erica — September 20, 2010 @ 4:58 am

Happy Birthday Mr. How Sweeeeet! Hope you have a fabulous day. I love homemade applesauce. I actually made my last batch in the crock pot which = no mashing really (it gets soft enough to just kind of fall apart). Fantastic. And totally delicious

• Lindsay — September 20th, 2010 @ 7:57 pm

yummmm….i saw the words crockpot and applesauce and I was hooked. Can’t wait to try both your recipe and hers! Ps…love both blogs!! :)

Heather — September 20, 2010 @ 5:08 am

I love applesauce of the homemade variety.

drooling has commenced!

happy birthday mr. how sweet!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — September 20, 2010 @ 5:12 am

I eat way more apples than a normal human being! I am completely obsessed too, so don’t feel so badly! I am so excited that it is apple season! Your applesauce looks delicious! Have a great week Jessica!

barefootgirl27 — September 20, 2010 @ 5:17 am

happy birthday, Mr. Sweet!!!

I’ll try this recipe with a SIDE of cider- pork….

my new obsession is apple butter.

seriously delicious!

Anne@ Food Loving Polar Bear — September 20, 2010 @ 5:20 am

Heh, I’m always way too excited about presents and am not allowed near my Xmas presents before Xmas Eve because otherwise I might accidentally open them all.. it has happened before :D

Lauren at KeepItSweet — September 20, 2010 @ 5:27 am

i love homeade applesauce… and anything with honeycrisp apples works for me!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — September 20, 2010 @ 5:28 am

What’s not to love about this recipe??

p.s. Happy Birthday, Mr. Sweet!

A Teenage Gourmet — September 20, 2010 @ 5:29 am

I wonder if macintosh apples would work well for this. Does anyone have an idea?

Jil — September 20, 2010 @ 5:36 am

Ohh this looks so yummy!! Happy to birthday to Mr. How Sweet!!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — September 20, 2010 @ 5:40 am

i LOVE homemade applesauce! i made it once from scratch but it is a little scary, daunting task! I still LOVE the taste of homemade this looks perfect

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MR HOW SWEET!!!!

Eunice — September 20, 2010 @ 5:46 am

I just got my first bottle of official maple syrup yesterday. Isn’t it sad that I’ve been using Aunt Jemima for 27 years?

I’d like to say that your applesauce recipe will be the first thing I pour it on, but I already ate a stack of banana nut pancakes covered in the stuff. So. Yum.

• Jessica — September 20th, 2010 @ 6:01 am

It wasn’t too long ago that I also started using pure maple syrup. The $$ kept me away for a long time!

Liz @ Bog is the New Black — September 20, 2010 @ 5:48 am

Wait until you see my apple recipe for tonight! ;)

• Jessica — September 20th, 2010 @ 6:00 am

I can’t wait!

Amber Cullum — September 20, 2010 @ 5:51 am

I will have to try this or shall I say I will have to get my mother in law to try this. She made your coconut granola and it was A-MAZ-ING!!!!! She raved about it for a few weeks then she brought some to us and I have raved MORE about it.

• Jessica — September 20th, 2010 @ 6:00 am

I am so glad you guys liked it!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — September 20, 2010 @ 5:56 am

Happy Birthday to Mr. How Sweet! The applesauce looks delicious, and I’m planning to go apple picking one of these weekends so that recipe should be perfect! :)

Salah@myhealthiestlifestyle — September 20, 2010 @ 5:58 am

Happy Birthday Mr. How Sweet! My mom always made homemade applesauce growing up…I wont have it any other way now.

kyla — September 20, 2010 @ 6:07 am

Happy Birthday Mr. How Sweet!

Liz @ LBBakes — September 20, 2010 @ 6:10 am

Yum. I love making my own applesauce! And I’m going apple picking this weekend, which means lots of applesauce will be made! PS, Happy Bday Mr. How Sweet!

Evan Thomas — September 20, 2010 @ 6:10 am

Happy birthday to him!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — September 20, 2010 @ 6:25 am

Happy Birthday to Mr. How Sweet!!

This looks so freaking delicious and easy. I feel like I bookmark about 75% of your recipes, but again…bookmarked!

Hope Mr. Sweet enjoys his bday dinner tonight!

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) — September 20, 2010 @ 6:28 am

Happy Birthday Mr. Sweet!!!

Gracie @ Girl Meets Health — September 20, 2010 @ 6:44 am

I must admit that I’m not usually a fan of applesauce, but that looks RIDIC! (in a good way, of course ;)). I’d totally slather that on some toast…or atop vanilla ice cream…!

• Jessica — September 20th, 2010 @ 7:23 am

Ice cream! I didn’t even think of that.

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — September 20, 2010 @ 6:50 am

Happy Birthday to your husband!

Lori @ RecipeGirl — September 20, 2010 @ 7:03 am

Mmmmm… I love homemade applesauce. It’s time to go apple pickin’ in my local mountains and bake up a storm! Good idea to incorporate maple in there too!

Kristina @ spabettie — September 20, 2010 @ 7:26 am

I am loving apples right now… one of my favorite things about making applesauce is the smell of the kitchen – for hours after. Also, I love warm applesauce. So good.

Happy Birthday, Mr How Sweet!

alison @ Ingredients, INc. — September 20, 2010 @ 7:29 am

This looks awesome! Happy B’day to Mr. Sweet!

Tracy — September 20, 2010 @ 7:34 am

Looks delicious! Happy birthday to Mr. How Sweet!! :-)

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — September 20, 2010 @ 7:41 am

This looks heavenly! Feels like fall and I want to eat this immediately!

Annie — September 20, 2010 @ 8:08 am

Definitely going to try this recipe–and two apples are exactly how many I have in the crisper!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — September 20, 2010 @ 8:31 am

YUM! My German nanny, Irmie, used to make home made apple sauce every fall (with apples from her tree – yup, it was SO GOOD) when I was little and this brings back really great memories. Just saw cinn. apples on Estela’s blog and am thinking I need to get some apples cookin in my kitchen.

Kristy — September 20, 2010 @ 8:37 am

I’ve always wondered what the trick to apple oats was – duh cook’em first. Lesson learned! Thanks for the imspiration ;-)

Camille — September 20, 2010 @ 8:41 am

I know what I’m making today!
    Happy Birthday Mr. Sweet!

Amalia — September 20, 2010 @ 9:31 am

Yum! more apple recipes! There’s a lot of those floating around the web! I think this would go wonderful as a cake filling, what do you think? I love your recipes thanks so much! :D

-Amalia

Jessica@tastyandtrim — September 20, 2010 @ 9:38 am

That applesauce looks SO delicious and easy enough for me to whip up! I am definitely making some when I head home this weekend. I’m an apple fanatic :)

Ellen @FirednFabulous — September 20, 2010 @ 9:51 am

Wow, another Ellen-proof recipe! I think I can do this one ;) Applesauce is so fresh and yummy…yours looks fab! And that is too funny that the hubs had a “side of chicken” with his burger. I went to TJ’s for the FIRST time ever on Friday. Didn’t get the orange chicken (PB/chocolate cups made it into the cart though!)..maybe next time.

Blond Duck — September 20, 2010 @ 10:29 am

My mom made me this pumpkin blondies and apple crisp this weekend that were to die for. I ate them for dinner….the whole pan.

Happy birthday, Mr. Sweet!

Kocinera — September 20, 2010 @ 10:34 am

Wow, I never knew that applesauce was so easy to make! Your version looks delicious!

Katie — September 20, 2010 @ 10:42 am

Happy Birthday Mr. How Sweet!!

Also, can I have applesauce for dinner? I actually don’t care if I can or not…I will tonight. I have so many apples just begging to be made into this chunky apple mash. I can’t even wait.

Jenna — September 20, 2010 @ 10:54 am

Ohhh, so excited for apples to be back in season and for me to be craving them once again! This recipe looks like a must try ASAP. I make ‘baked’ apples in the microwave allll the time during the fall/winter months.

signorina — September 20, 2010 @ 11:57 am

Happy birthday to Mr. How Sweet!
    That applesauce sounds incredibly delicious!

Kacy — September 20, 2010 @ 12:18 pm

Happy Birthday Mr. How Sweet!!!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Quick Cinnamon Maple Applesauce. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Double the Food | Yes, I want cake.

3. Pingback: Applesauce Take 2. | How Sweet It Is