Today is a special day: it is Mr. How Sweet’s birthday! Happy Birthday Mr. How Sweet!

Many moons ago Mr. How Sweet entered the world. If it was up to him, he would like to see steak with a side of chicken on the blog today. Or even the meal he had on Saturday afternoon – a cheeseburger with a side of orange chicken from Trader Joe’s. Yes, I’m serious. Next time I will take a picture.

I couldn’t make this stuff up.
We celebrated his birthday a little bit this weekend, and he opened his presents at 5am this morning. Who says you have to grow up? Sometime this week I’m going to make him his birthday dinner – filet and sweet potatoes.

And I may make some of this applesauce for the side, because I ate it all. He didn’t even get to taste it.

I have issues with sharing.

I’ve never actually made applesauce before. It has always seemed a bit too daunting of a task. Plus, I’m sort of lazy. And I couldn’t imagine it tasting better than cold-from-the-fridge sweetened applesauce that I ate buckets of when I was younger – doused with cinnamon sugar and all. Because what good is sweetened applesauce without the added sugar on top?
I was wrong. And trust me, it pains me to utter those words. Ask Mr. How Sweet. I’m not even sure if he has heard those words since we’ve been married. According to those with successful marriages, I should start saying them more often. So let me say it again.

I was wrong!

Not only was this applesauce quick and easy – it literally took less than 20 minutes to make – it was incredibly delicious. I ate it both hot and cold, and can’t decide which way I like it better.

I left the skins on and tried it a bit chunky first, then mashed it some more. I prefer it with as few chunks as possible.

If only my thighs thought the same way…

Quick Cinnamon Maple Applesauce

serves 2-3

2 apples, chopped (I used Honeycrisp)

2 tablespoons water

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

pinch of salt

pinch of nutmeg

1 tablespoon maple syrup

Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add water, apples, cinnamon and nutmeg, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and mash with a fork or potato masher.

I have an apple obsession. Be prepared. And scared. And hungry.

81 Responses to “Quick Cinnamon Maple Applesauce.”

homecookedem — September 20, 2010 @ 1:15 pm

I’m making homemade applesauce with my first graders this Friday since Johnny Appleseed’s bday is on Saturday. I always put sugar in mine, but I love your idea of putting maple syrup in instead!! I may have to try that out!!

• Jessica — September 20th, 2010 @ 1:20 pm

I’ve always heard of others using sugar in applesauce, and honestly I was scared not to because you know I love things sweet! But it didn’t even need any! Maybe it was the honeycrisps I used?

MoniMeals — September 20, 2010 @ 3:11 pm

Hi There Jessica!
    Great site, I am new to it and yes- How sweet it is!:) I look so forward to checking in with you and seeing some new recipes. This apple sauce looks killer! I make it very similiar myself and just add a dash of almond extract. :)
    Take Care,
    Monica

Lauren — September 20, 2010 @ 4:01 pm

I adore honeycrisps! I’ll bet this was so fantastic because of them! Well…that and because you are a sheer genius.

Oh…happy birthday Mr. How Sweet.

Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl — September 20, 2010 @ 4:51 pm

Mmmmm I hate mashed potatoes so I always wondered what I’d do with the masher thingy I got for my wedding…now I know what I can use it for!

• Jessica — September 20th, 2010 @ 4:52 pm

You hate mashed potatoes?! That is something I have never heard before.

Dana — September 20, 2010 @ 5:30 pm

Sounds like a great recipe for me to try with the billions of apples I have in my fridge from apple picking…. thanks for sharing!

Barbara Bakes — September 20, 2010 @ 7:08 pm

I recently fell in love with homemade applesauce too. I’ll have to try it with maple – it looks fabulous. Try blending it in the pan with an immersion blender, so quick and easy.

• Jessica — September 20th, 2010 @ 9:20 pm

Great idea! I never thought of that.

Katrina — September 20, 2010 @ 7:26 pm

Happy birthday Mr. How Sweet! This applesauce looks so tasty!

Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey — September 20, 2010 @ 8:06 pm

Holy dang, this looks so good. I may be making it for breakfast tomorrow. :)

CaSaundra — September 21, 2010 @ 5:01 am

I love applesauce–and homemade is SO much better than Mott’s storebought stuff. I bet the maple syrup added a nice flavor boost too!

Mimi — September 21, 2010 @ 6:19 am

I’ve always been a little intimidated by making applesauce. However, I think you just gave me the courage to go for it! (:

marla {family fresh cooking} — September 21, 2010 @ 7:46 pm

I have posted many recipes for homemade applesauce. I love the stuff. Yes, it is so simple to make, it makes the house smell AMAZING & it is healthy & sweet. The perfect food really. xo

stacey-healthylife — September 21, 2010 @ 9:01 pm

I love applesauce and it can be so quick and easy to make.

Window On The Prairie — September 23, 2010 @ 6:45 am

Love all the apple recipes that pop up this time of year. Yum!!! http://windowontheprairie.com/ Suzanne

Emily — September 23, 2010 @ 5:00 pm

I’ve always been intimidated by applesauce, too…but I helped my housemates make it once, and then last year tackled it myself. We borrowed a food strainer from a couple at church, so truly making applesauce was just cooking apples (didn’t peel or core them) in water until they were soft and then running them through the food strainer to get smooth, delicious applesauce. I will have to try mixing some maple syrup in mine next time–it looks great!

Hannah — January 22, 2011 @ 5:44 pm

Yesterday I had all my wisdom teeth removed so this morning I made this and just puréed it in the food processor. It was amazing!

MKP — October 31, 2011 @ 4:33 pm

This is a wonderful recipe. I made it last night…exactly as stated and it turned out wonderful. I will be making this again and again…

Hunter — November 5, 2011 @ 10:30 am

My friends and I love this recipe. I’m used to painstakingly churning apples through a grinder (as my grandmother taught me to do). I was so surprised when the applesauce came together so quickly and deliciously.

Lauren S — November 8, 2011 @ 10:39 pm

Mmmmm…. I just made this and ate a huge bowl of it! Delicious! I’m pretty sure I used less than a tbsp of maple syrup (I just eye balled it) and probably double the amount of cinnamon but it was still perfect. 2 thumbs up!

Divya — June 13, 2013 @ 2:19 am

Hi Jessica great recipe but I have a question. When exactly do you add the maple syrup? It doesn’t seem is in the directions but it’s in the ingredients lol help me out