I have a few thoughts.

Not many, but a few.

First up, I’ve decided that I like to look at pears more than eat them. Unless they are caramelized. Then I can’t wait to stop looking at them so I can eat them.

Second, I found that one of our local stores carries whole grain baguettes. This thrills me. It means that I don’t have to drive 52 minutes to Whole Foods just to get a thirteen dollar baguette that goes stale in twelve hours since there are only two of us.

Instead, now I buy a baguette for three dollars that goes stale in twelve hours because there are only two of us.

Finally, I took what feels like six bajilion pictures of this bruschetta, and then didn’t look at them for four days. Turns out most of the photos were blurry. Turns out I can’t use my DSLR worth crud. Turns out that is my reason for posting pictures of a pear, bread, and a bottle of vinegar.

Honesty is the best policy.
Time out.

We need to take a moment to discuss this vinegar. Does it not sound like the most fabulous tasting vinegar in the world?

Well, it should, because it is. I mean - cinnamon pear?! I want to bathe in this.

When I bought it last month, I wasn’t sure how I was going to use it. Besides, you know, drink it straight up.

But even for me – I wasn’t sure how it would work on a salad. Thankfully, I think I came up with something incredible.
I caramelized some red bartlett pears with butter, and added the vinegar at the end. No sugar needed – the natural sweetness comes out and surprisingly, it’s even sweet enough for me. On top of the beloved whole grain baguette, I spread on a honey mascarpone mixture before adding the pears.

Please make this now. It will make you happy.

Roasted Cinnamon Pear Bruschetta

serves 4-6

1 whole grain baguette, sliced into rounds

2 pears, chopped (I used red bartlett)

1 tablespoon butter

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

pinch of nutmeg

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (I used cinnamon pear)

1/2 cup mascarpone

1 teaspoon honey

Preheat oven to 400. Lay baguette rounds on a baking sheet and bake for 5-7 minutes, or until golden brown and toasted. Set aside.

Heat a skillet over medium-low heat and add butter. Add pears, then sprinkle with salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Allow to caramelize slowly – for about 10-15 minutes.

In a bowl, combine mascarpone and honey. Spread on baguette slices.

Once pears are caramelized, add balsamic vinegar and cook for 1-2 more minutes. Add spoonfuls of pear mixture on top of mascarpone on baguette. These can be served warm or cold.

If you don’t want to make the bruschetta, you must make the pears. Throw them in anything – oatmeal, salads, on top of potatoes… the possibilities are endless!

108 Responses to “Roasted Cinnamon Pear Bruschetta.”

Mary (A Merry Life) — September 23, 2010 @ 4:01 am

Never in a million years would I have thought this up. That is why I absolutely LOVE your blog.

stacey-healthylife — September 23, 2010 @ 4:10 am

Yum what a great idea. I love anything with pears.

Kim in MD — September 23, 2010 @ 4:13 am

YUM! How creative and delicious! How DO you think of these fabulous food combinations, Jessica? Regarding the stale baquettes (no matter what they cost)- I always freeze the leftover bread (whole or sliced). Bread freezes well, and thaws very quickly when you need it in a pinch!

Lauren at KeepItSweet — September 23, 2010 @ 4:15 am

yum! this would be great for entertaining

Erica — September 23, 2010 @ 4:16 am

Nom nom. I like the idea of using pears instead of the traditional tomato. Josh could get behind this too (he hates tomatoes). You should freeze the other portion of your bread…just saying ;)

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — September 23, 2010 @ 4:25 am

Pears are really beautiful, aren’t they? The bruschetta looks and sounds delicious! That would be perfect on oatmeal…or waffles! Have a great first day of fall Jessica!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — September 23, 2010 @ 4:35 am

Pears are really beautiful!! Have you tried sugar pears? Oh my gosh, they are so good!

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — September 23, 2010 @ 4:36 am

Pretty! My problem is that I can never find a pear that is “just right”. Usually they are too hard or too soft. But I’m inspired to try again.

Liz @ Blog is the New Black — September 23, 2010 @ 4:37 am

Kudos on the non-bacon-veggie eating… and this looks tasty!

newlywed — September 23, 2010 @ 4:41 am

These bruschetta look GREAT! What a perfect, creative appetizer for fall!

Stephanie — September 23, 2010 @ 4:48 am

you had me at honey mascarpone! ;)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — September 23, 2010 @ 4:52 am

Ooh, I’m bookmarking this for when we have guests in town next week! What an elegant hors d’oevre!

Zoe@Simply Seasonal — September 23, 2010 @ 4:57 am

Totally original….I Love It!!!!!

Heather — September 23, 2010 @ 4:58 am

oh my gosh, i want that vinegar so bad! and i agree…pears are one of those things that are beautiful to look at, but i can take ‘em or leave ‘em…unless they’re caramelized!

Wei-Wei — September 23, 2010 @ 5:07 am

I think I may be in love with you(r bruschetta).

Kat @ Living Like the Kings — September 23, 2010 @ 5:20 am

Where DO you come up with these? Yum!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — September 23, 2010 @ 5:24 am

I’ve never carmelized pears before, but if it’s anything like apples, it sounds heavenly. Such a great hors d’oeuvre for a holiday party!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble)) — September 23, 2010 @ 5:39 am

What a fabulous fall appetizer, this looks delicious!

xo
    Kris

Jil — September 23, 2010 @ 5:46 am

Wow – so creative! I never would have come up with that in a million years!It looks and sounds amazing.

Julie @SavvyEats — September 23, 2010 @ 6:02 am

That vinegar sounds AMAZING. Can you actually taste the pear and cinnamon in it? So often with flavored vinegars and oils, I can’t really taste a difference, but definitely want to try this one if the flavors come out!

• Jessica — September 23rd, 2010 @ 6:06 am

Oh yes! The taste is incredible. You can taste all of the flavors of their vinegar. I have peach, cherry, vanilla bean, coconut and this one – each one is amazing.

Melanie — September 23, 2010 @ 6:02 am

Your pictures are lovely – don’t be too hard on yourself! And I’ve got to get my hands on a) a whole grain baguette since my vast wasteland of the midwest doesn’t carry anything close and b) some of that amazing vinegar, which means if I can’t find a whole grain baguette, I’m definitely not finding that stuff. Online, here I come!

• Jessica — September 23rd, 2010 @ 6:07 am

Thanks Melanie!
      And Fustini’s only sells their vinegars in their own stores which are throughout Michigan, so you must order online!

Matt — September 23, 2010 @ 6:02 am

YES PLEASE.

Tina — September 23, 2010 @ 6:04 am

I hate when you see shots on screen and realize they are all blurry. That has happened to me a fair share too.

Those pictures and that bruschetta all look just perfect though.

Emily — September 23, 2010 @ 6:08 am

What a great idea!! I always limit my bruschetta-ing to tomatoes… but I can see you don’t have to stop there! Thanks for the inspiration!

Kate @ Cozydelicious — September 23, 2010 @ 6:09 am

What an awesome brunch dish! These would be great as part of a buffet. But I would totally make extra pears just for me – to eat on vanilla ice cream of course!

• Julie @SavvyEats — September 23rd, 2010 @ 6:29 am

Um, that sounds AMAZING.

• Jessica — September 23rd, 2010 @ 6:36 am

You should order some!

Tracy — September 23, 2010 @ 6:12 am

What a great little fall appetizer! Yum!

Jessica@tastyandtrim — September 23, 2010 @ 6:12 am

Love this! Bruschetta is a dish that always shows up at all of my family parties. It’ll be fun to switch it up and serve it on the dessert table :)

Mellissa — September 23, 2010 @ 6:16 am

These look delicious and might need to make an appearance on our table for Sunday Night Cooking Club.

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) — September 23, 2010 @ 6:18 am

Ooo – this sounds like a great fall recipe!

Mimi — September 23, 2010 @ 6:40 am

This sounds like one of the most delicious creations in the world. Was that a little over-dramatic? Sorry, I get excited about good food…

Window On The Prairie — September 23, 2010 @ 6:42 am

Wonderful time of the year for cooking and baking. Love all the apple and pear recipes. http://windowontheprairie.com/ Suzanne

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — September 23, 2010 @ 6:50 am

Dang this looks good. Seriously, if I ever win the lottery, I’m forcing you to quit your job so that we can just cook and bake all day long together. No, seriously.

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — September 23, 2010 @ 6:53 am

That vinegar sounds so flipping amazing. I’m pretty sure it would make the best salad dressing ever.

Chicago Cuisine Critique — September 23, 2010 @ 6:54 am

Wow! This looks so good. What a great idea! I may have to add this to my Fall recipe post for tomorrow. It seems like a definite winner. :)

rachel — September 23, 2010 @ 6:55 am

oh yum. i agree with you on the pears, they are so pretty to look at and for some reason, even though they taste good, i don’t really like eating them plain. this is a great way to really enjoy them :)

Natalia - a side of simple — September 23, 2010 @ 7:12 am

I’m on the hunt for this balsamic vinegar starting…now.

Kristina @ spabettie — September 23, 2010 @ 7:12 am

once again, something that sounds amazing, and I wish I would have thought of years ago because I feel like I’ve missed out :)

I love your originality and creativity… and I want this balsamic. :)

the country cook @ Delightful Country Cookin' — September 23, 2010 @ 7:32 am

y.u.m. I think I’d like the pears and vinegar best on a salad with some feta. That just sounds amazing. I wish I could have it for breakfast!

kay (eating machine) — September 23, 2010 @ 7:33 am

pears are one f the only foods i won’t eat. but it’s a stubborn thing (my parents replaced MY plum tree with a pear tree, and i’ve been pouting about it for around 15 years at this point)

but i do like pear brandy.

Sara — September 23, 2010 @ 7:42 am

How beautiful! I love this idea. You know, you could chop up the rest of the baguette and throw it in the freezer. Then it’s ready to go the next time you want to make bruschetta! I do this all the time. I even freeze regular sandwich bread because the two of us can rarely eat the whole loaf before it starts to get moldy.

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana — September 23, 2010 @ 7:59 am

Please share where you go this vinegar? I would LOVE to try it/buy it, etc!

• Jessica — September 23rd, 2010 @ 8:07 am

Let me know if you order some! You can also find it in their stores which are throughout Michigan.

Kacy — September 23, 2010 @ 8:16 am

I love quirky bruschetta like that. There’s a restaurant here that specializes in it and I adore it.

Camille — September 23, 2010 @ 8:24 am

This is awesome!
    I am always kind of at a loss for what to do with pears so thanks for the tip!

Caitlin — September 23, 2010 @ 8:27 am

Here I thought having a baguette go stale was just poor planning on my part. Phew. Also, I can’t believe that a vinegar could not taste, vinegar-y. I absolutely hate that sour taste that I associate with it so flavored ones scare me. However, given your distaste for vegetables and love for sweets, I may just have to trust you on this one.

Liz @ LBBakes — September 23, 2010 @ 8:36 am

Yum! I love mascarpone in desserts. Looks delicious.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — September 23, 2010 @ 8:36 am

You had me at ‘carmelized’. I make a roasted pear dessert with ricotta cream and it is amazing. I love pears! Thanks for sharing!

Moni'sMeals — September 23, 2010 @ 8:39 am

Wow Jessica! You did it again, another fab recipe! Thank you so much for sharing this and the apple nachos, You are talented my friend. :)

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — September 23, 2010 @ 8:43 am

I don’t know what it is about pears, but I buy them and then they sit… and sit. and sit. I think I like looking at them and buying them, but not eating them as much. I always have the best of intentions though. lol. I will say that I really like roasting them and eating them on salads.

Great recipe!

Leandra — September 23, 2010 @ 8:48 am

I absolutely love your site!!! It is now #1 on the list of blogs I read in the morning because there is ALWAYS something new and incredibly delicious (and funny) THANK YOU!!

• Jessica — September 23rd, 2010 @ 9:19 am

Thank you SO much!

Kath — September 23, 2010 @ 8:51 am

What a fabulous idea. I think the pears would be perfect over a bit of vanilla ice cream. Mmmm….

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Roasted Cinnamon Pear Bruschetta | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Savvy Selections: 09.25.10. — Savvy Eats