Don’t worry.

There is bacon and cheese involved.

Of course.

I’ve been trying my hardest to consciously get in some veggies. As much as I hate them, I really try to eat them in some form a few times a year week. This is extremely hard for me, being that I don’t believe in eating things unless I absolutely love them. But I guess sometimes I make an exception for vegetables?

Roasting is one of the only ways I can force them down. Raw vegetables… well, it pains me to even think of them.

I often roast a pan of peppers, onions and other assorted veggies at the beginning of the week. If I don’t have a solid plan in mind, those veggies sit in the fridge for a loooong time.

Trust me, you don’t want to see my crisper drawer.

It turns out that I really love caramelized onions. That should come as no surprise. Aren’t onions one of the vegetables with a very high sugar content? That makes sense.

As long as my vegetable mix has some sweet, caramelized onions, crispy bacon and creamy avocado, I can eat a wrap or quesadilla with some veggies. Cheese is just a bonus. Notice there are no fibrous, green veggies in here. Still working on those.

It will probably happen… never.

Roasted Veggie & Goat Cheese Quesadilla

serves 1

2 whole wheat tortillas (I use La Tortilla!)

1 ounce goat cheese

1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika

1 slice bacon, fried and crumbled

1/2 avocado, chopped

assorted roasted veggies (I used peppers, corn, onions and tomatoes)

Preheat a grill or skillet on medium heat.

On one tortilla, spread a 1/2 ounce of crumbled goat cheese. Top with assorted vegetables, bacon, paprika and avocado. Top with remaining goat cheese and leftover tortilla.

Carefully place quesadilla down on grill or in skillet and let brown for 2-3 minutes. Once golden, gently flip onto the other side for the same amount of time.

I’m off to find some chocolate. It’s desperately needed to calm the trauma of these vegetables.

70 Responses to “Roasted Veggie and Goat Cheese Quesadillas.”

Mary (A Merry Life) — September 2, 2010 @ 4:01 am

OMG! VEGETABLES!

Hehe. I think it’s great that you are working on getting more veggies in, even if they aren’t the green kind. I’m with you on the raw veggies – not my thing. But roasted are sooo good. That quesadilla looks great. :)

Heather — September 2, 2010 @ 4:03 am

YUM, two of my favorite ingredients, goat cheese and avocado!

Tabitha (From Single to Married) — September 2, 2010 @ 4:03 am

I’m not even a huge fan of goat cheese and I still think this looks fantastic!

Wei-Wei — September 2, 2010 @ 4:14 am

If I made this with one wrap (like folded over) I would need to halve the ingredients inside as well, right? I couldn’t just cram it all in? (I could skip some veggies and cram all the goat cheese in for sure, though.)

Estela @ Weekly Bite — September 2, 2010 @ 4:17 am

Looks delicious! I love the idea of using goat cheese in a quesadilla!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — September 2, 2010 @ 4:17 am

Yeah, but those are the perfect veggies! Peppers, corn, onions and tomatoes…all sweet! With the goat cheese…heck yeah, that is a winner!

Lauren at KeepItSweet — September 2, 2010 @ 4:23 am

looks so good! i prefer roasted veggies as well

Katrina — September 2, 2010 @ 4:33 am

This looks amazing. I find covering veggies in cheese always helps. Mmmm.

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble)) — September 2, 2010 @ 4:34 am

This looks awesome, I love roasted veg. And I’m not a fan of raw veg either… yuck. Covered in cheese totally helps :D

xo
    Kris

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — September 2, 2010 @ 4:41 am

How could this not be good?!!

Heather — September 2, 2010 @ 4:46 am

yep, making these this weekend! holy crap, i’m drooling on account of the goat cheese…

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — September 2, 2010 @ 4:46 am

Mmmm, roasted veggies and goat cheese is such a delicious combination.

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — September 2, 2010 @ 4:49 am

I love how you sneak in veggies. Are you going to do the same thing when you have kids? I love quesadillas, they are such a good dinner or lunch choice.

Sophie @ yumventures — September 2, 2010 @ 5:11 am

Looks delicious! I love caramelized onions too…maybe because they have the word “caramel” in them?

Terri A. — September 2, 2010 @ 5:31 am

I’m going to have to keep some whole wheat tortillas in my house for things such as this. Oh, and goat cheese, too! Looks so good!

Matt — September 2, 2010 @ 5:32 am

Just found tonights dinner :)

Kristy — September 2, 2010 @ 5:37 am

I might just have to give goat cheese another chance. I bought a herby one at a gourment market and didnt like it at all but in a quesadilla…. might change my heart.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — September 2, 2010 @ 5:39 am

my absolute FAVORITE pizza topper is caramalized onions, they honestly taste like candy…they are veggies in deisguise for sure!

roasted veggies are so delicious! I love them all and love that you paired them with goat cheese AND smoked paprika!!!

megan — September 2, 2010 @ 5:39 am

looks so good! What a great idea to roast veggies at the beginning of the week. I should totally start doing that. Otherwise we end up eating raw carrots as our dinner vegetable – not the most exciting

Kylie @ A Hungry Spoon — September 2, 2010 @ 5:41 am

Roasted veggies + Goat Cheese = Perfect dinner–I haven’t had Mexican in awhile, and now I’m craving it! Minus the bacon of course :)

Happy Cooking to you!

Southern Elle — September 2, 2010 @ 5:58 am

Great way to get my carnivore boyfriend to eat some vegetables!

Tracy — September 2, 2010 @ 6:00 am

Looks delicious to me – yum!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? — September 2, 2010 @ 6:01 am

GASP!
    Vegetables?! Seriously?
    These look amazing…

Liz — September 2, 2010 @ 6:11 am

I never thought about putting bacon in a quesadilla!! Great idea…good thing I bought a pound of bacon last night at the grocery store and tortillas. This dinner will be on the table tonight!

Cara — September 2, 2010 @ 6:11 am

Those look gorgeously delicious!
    Perfectly cooked with the gooey insides spilling out…Divine!

Chrissy — September 2, 2010 @ 6:26 am

I’m not a fan of raw vegetables either, which makes it harder to get them in since I don’t like to snack on raw veggies.

By the way, I made the gorgonzola popovers last night and my boyfriend DESTROYED them. He came in the door just as I pulled them out of the oven, and poked them until he decided he could eat one without burning his mouth. He ate 7, then decided he couldn’t stop at an odd number, so 8 total. In the course of a few minutes. Really, they should be called popins because he just kept popping them in his mouth. Thank you for introducing me to the joy of the gorgonzola popover!

• Jessica — September 2nd, 2010 @ 6:29 am

Ahahah! So glad he liked them. :)

Layla — September 2, 2010 @ 6:41 am

You had me at goat cheese. Is it sad that I don’t know how to roast veggies? I need to learn to do that.

• Jessica — September 2nd, 2010 @ 7:31 am

Just throw them on a baking sheet with olive oil and a little balsamic vinegar and salt. I roast at 425 for about 30-40 minutes!

• Layla — September 2nd, 2010 @ 6:48 pm

Thank you!

Jessica@tastyandtrim — September 2, 2010 @ 6:45 am

I LOVE warm goat cheese. Those quesadillas sound amazing and super easy to make!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — September 2, 2010 @ 6:47 am

Love using goat cheese in a quesadilla. I do one with roasted red bells, spinach, black beans and goat cheese. Haven’t made it in a while….maybe I need to run out for some cheese!

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) — September 2, 2010 @ 7:20 am

Is it lunchtime yet?! That looks SO delicious…I want it now! It’s grilled to perfection!

Erica — September 2, 2010 @ 7:26 am

I love the idea of adding goat cheese and roasted veggies together in a quesadilla. I like sneaking in veggies into things like these to get them in.
    Ps: Where did you get ground chicken at when you made those buffalo burgers the other day? I can’t seem to find any.

Thanks in advance.

• Jessica — September 2nd, 2010 @ 7:39 am

They have it at my local grocery store! It’s weird – not all the time, but when they do have it, I can find it for a few weeks. Then it’s gone again.

mags — September 2, 2010 @ 7:31 am

You crack me up. Your dislike of vegetables equals my dislike of fruit. I have to combine my fruit with something savory in order to force it down!

Chicago Cuisine Critique — September 2, 2010 @ 7:32 am

Just mentioning goat cheese will always get me, but these do look awfully delicious.

Ashley — September 2, 2010 @ 8:00 am

These were jumping off the page! Great photos…and they sound deeeevine! :)

Dana — September 2, 2010 @ 8:10 am

Good for you for trying to include more veggies. I bet as you continue to try them, you really will begin to love some of them! Especially in delicious looking dishes like this :)

Kristina @ spabettie — September 2, 2010 @ 8:13 am

of course you would love CARAMELized onions. ;) your subconscious probably thinks roasting them turns them to caramel…

roasted onions and peppers are two of my favorite flavors, and add goat cheese? NOM.

these look fabulous.

Kate @ Cozydelicious — September 2, 2010 @ 8:20 am

Covered with enough cheese, anything is edible! I might try this one on my veggie-phobic husband. Yum!

Nichole — September 2, 2010 @ 8:47 am

I love goat cheese and I love Mexican, but how did I ever not think to put these two together. Awesome!

Courtney @ Bread & Bokeh — September 2, 2010 @ 8:51 am

Roasted veggies are the way to go!!! So flavorful and easy to puree into things! :)

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — September 2, 2010 @ 8:54 am

I’m on such a cheese kick right now it isn’t even funny. I think drowning my sorrows in goat cheese sounds like a fantastic idea

Veronique @ Hooked on Health — September 2, 2010 @ 8:57 am

Mmmm those quesadillas look amazing! Quesadillas are my absolute fav, and I have been looking for new (helathier) variations on the dish. I love veggies so I don’t think I would have a problem eating those. Great recipe! :)

Kacy — September 2, 2010 @ 9:13 am

Yes times a million on this one!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — September 2, 2010 @ 10:03 am

I love how the quesadillas are well cooked without being burned. you cooked them to the perfect time. I hate mushy/underdone tortillas. That’s one thing that I don’t like raw! ewww!

Fit & Fab Mama — September 2, 2010 @ 10:28 am

Mmmmm. I love goat cheese. These look amazing. I was curious if you have any slowcooker/crockpot recipes. I use mine a lot and could use some inspiration!

• Jessica — September 2nd, 2010 @ 12:05 pm

I actually make stuff in the crockpot all the time, but have never posted a recipe for one! I usually do meats – chicken, pulled pork, etc. I will try to come up with some to post!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — September 2, 2010 @ 10:33 am

mmmmmmmmmm goat cheese ;) Sounds great!

Jenna — September 2, 2010 @ 11:06 am

Did you know I was on a goat cheese kick of something? Holy yum!

Katharine — September 2, 2010 @ 11:59 am

Yum! Must make this, stat. As always, DELISH looking! :)

Joslyn @ missfitbliss — September 2, 2010 @ 12:12 pm

Wow. I love roasting vegetables too! They’re always 10 times tastier that way.

janetha g. — September 2, 2010 @ 12:34 pm

mmmmmmm goodness, gracious. i must get some goat cheese SOON!

Jodi — September 2, 2010 @ 12:37 pm

Looks so good!! Have you ever heard of or tried a green smoothie? Great way to get some veggies in. You can put a lot of fruit in and it doesn’t even taste like veggies/greens!

• Jessica — September 2nd, 2010 @ 12:41 pm

Yep – I always put spinach in my smoothies! That is the only way I get my veggies.

• Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — September 2nd, 2010 @ 4:25 pm

Oooh I didn’t know you drink green smoothies!! You should post your eats for one whole day sometime – I’d love to see what an average day looks like!

1. Pingback: Grilled Vegetable Quesadillas with Goat Cheese | The Kitchen Of A Runner