When I found honeycrisp apples at the store yesterday, I was so excited I thought I might burst.

Caramelizing them was really the only thing I had in mind.

Well, that… and eating them with a pound of bacon. Don’t ask.

This parfait was totally new to me. A few weeks ago Brittany made a quinoa parfait that looked so delicious that I couldn’t get it out of my head.

Greek yogurt isn’t new to me, and neither is quinoa, but the combination of the two is. And the texture is fabulous. I wasn’t so sure about using the quinoa in a non-savory fashion, but I am so glad I did.

Speaking of new-to-me things, Mr. How Sweet caved and got a blackberry after swearing up and down for years that he never would. It’s pretty funny watching him trying to manage the thing. I prefer to call him “Gramps.”

Oh, and I didn’t make the parfait for him. Though it may have softened the blow of technology.

Not only did I love the texture of this parfait, but it offered a boatload of protein in forms that I actually enjoy, some whole grains and sweet, juicy fruit! Doesn’t get much better in my eyes.

The more my everyday food tastes like dessert, the better.

Spiced Quinoa Apple Pie Parfait

1 cup greek yogurt

1 apple, chopped

1/4 cup dry quinoa

1/2 tablespoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon brown sugar

Preheat oven to 375.

Combine chopped apple, brown sugar, 1/4 tablespoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon salt in an oven safe dish. Roast apples until soft and caramelized, about 15-20 minutes.

Combine dry quinoa with remaining cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Cook according to directions.

When apples and quinoa have cooled (not completely, but they shouldn’t be scalding) layer in a glass with greek yogurt. If desired, mix yogurt with cinnamon and honey for topping.

Happy Labor Day!

81 Responses to “Spiced Quinoa Apple Pie Parfait.”

April — September 6, 2010 @ 4:25 am

Now that looks better than chocolate! Did I really just type that?

Lauren at KeepItSweet — September 6, 2010 @ 4:25 am

love this idea and now i can’t wait to find honeycrisps!!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — September 6, 2010 @ 4:25 am

Ahhh, this looks like such the perfect fall breakfast. And fancy, too!!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — September 6, 2010 @ 4:32 am

I’ve never tried yogurt and quinoa, for some reason to eat quinoa in a dessert or breakfast scares me, but I need to get over it because it looks GOOD. Happy Labor Day!

Wei-Wei — September 6, 2010 @ 4:47 am

Oh. My. God. That looks absolutely amazing. TEAM FALL, WHO’S WITH ME? Apple pie. Whut.

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) — September 6, 2010 @ 4:48 am

I love to make quinoa for breakfast but I never thought of combining it with greek yogurt- that sounds great!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — September 6, 2010 @ 4:51 am

This one is right up my alley! I LOVE cinnamon quinoa with apples! I think quinoa is the perfect food! Your parfait looks amazing. Have a great day Jessica!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — September 6, 2010 @ 5:00 am

Oh this looks so awesome!! I’ve seen a lot of variations on sweet quinoa, but this one looks like a winner. I feel like subbing the yogurt for banana would work too…bookmarking!!

Kylie @ A Hungry Spoon — September 6, 2010 @ 5:27 am

Love this idea! I’m currently trying to bake and cook away a bushel of apples that I acquired last week, so every apple recipe I find is making the list :)

Happy Labor Day!

Katrina — September 6, 2010 @ 5:28 am

This recipe is fabulous! I’ve never used quinoa in a sweet recipe either. Mmmm.

Estela @ Weekly Bite — September 6, 2010 @ 5:37 am

I heart honey crisp apples!! I can’t wait till they’re at our farmers market :)

marla {family fresh cooking} — September 6, 2010 @ 6:00 am

LOVE this parfait…totally my kind of dessert! Great photos too.

ida — September 6, 2010 @ 6:05 am

Honey crisps are my favorite too! The parfait looks great, I love the idea of using quinoa in a sweet dish

Brittany — September 6, 2010 @ 6:07 am

So glad you liked the quinoa parfait and thanks for the shout out!

Your photos/presentation look amazing – now I want to make a quinoa parfait this morning.

Cara — September 6, 2010 @ 6:08 am

Mmmm…looks so good.
    I don’t think I can get quinoa here, maybe I will sub in some barley.

Kim in MD — September 6, 2010 @ 6:15 am

Strange combo, but it looks amazing! If you say it’s good, I will try it! :-)

Matt — September 6, 2010 @ 6:23 am

You found honeycrisp apples? Those are my all time favorite! I will be on the lookout ;)

Courtney @ Bread & Bokeh — September 6, 2010 @ 6:28 am

I love honeycrisp apples!!!!! Oh how I miss all the apple orchards in Michigan! Living in the Texas during the fall is the pits!! :(

CaSaundra — September 6, 2010 @ 6:33 am

Wow–I have never had quinoa in something sweet either. I love new combos though, so I must try this out soon–looks delish!

newlywed — September 6, 2010 @ 6:40 am

I also have yet to try quinoa in a sweet dish. And I’m so ready for apple season!

homecookedem — September 6, 2010 @ 6:42 am

Such gorgeous pictures of your parfait!! And what perfect timing when I’m getting all giddy about the start of Fall!! :) What a lovely way to use quinoa and I bet the greek yogurt with the quinoa is awesome!!

Heather — September 6, 2010 @ 6:44 am

holy.yum. i need to eat this immediately. thank goodness for honeycrisps!

Ellen@FirednFabulous — September 6, 2010 @ 6:48 am

Picture perfect! So pretty. Love the quinoa in the mix!

A Teenage Gourmet — September 6, 2010 @ 7:01 am

Honey Crisp apples are my mommy’s favorite. I know what I should make her this week. :)

Camille — September 6, 2010 @ 7:12 am

This looks amazing! Beautiful pics!

Katie — September 6, 2010 @ 7:26 am

I haven’t seen apples in the grocery store yet, and I’m so jealous. I love the looks of this! My kind of protein, too.

April @ Crazy Fabulous Life — September 6, 2010 @ 7:27 am

Looks delicious! I would have never thought to use quinoa in sweet things. Or is that more common than I thought?

Rhea (Greek Feaster) — September 6, 2010 @ 7:29 am

Beautiful presentation! I love parfait glasses for that purpose. My mom used to make a baller Death By Chocolate dessert and she always served it in a fancy trifle bowl. Makes all the difference, I say!

• Jessica — September 6th, 2010 @ 10:27 am

That sounds delicious!

TheHealthyApron — September 6, 2010 @ 7:44 am

I’m going to have to give quinoa another try! I am not sure why but every time I try it, it tastes so bitter to me!! This looks delicious though! Thanks for sharing!!

Erica — September 6, 2010 @ 7:57 am

You know I get excited just seeing the words parfait ;) How fun with the quinoa. Apples are starting to get very yummy!!!! I must try this version

Pure2raw twins — September 6, 2010 @ 8:05 am

Looks amazing!!! I remember when Brittany posted her parfait, this is something I will have to make. ; )

Kristina @ spabettie — September 6, 2010 @ 8:06 am

yep… you’ve done it again!

I’ve been wanting to make a sweet quinoa for a while now… either with strawberries or apples.. and yogurt?? perfect addition, that’s the first thing I thought, look at that glass of beautiful protein. :)

(is that bad?)

I’ll eat the parfait you would have made for Mr How Sweet, and we can sit and watch (help?) him with his Blackberry. ;)

Enjoy your Holiday!!

Suzy — September 6, 2010 @ 8:10 am

YUM! I love eating quinoa in a sweet application! And honeycrisp apples….all time favorite! Yum!

Camille — September 6, 2010 @ 8:30 am

What a gorgeous parfait!
    There is nothing like a breakfast that looks and tastes beautiful :)

Alyson @ Nourished Fitness — September 6, 2010 @ 8:39 am

Love this! So fall, and it sounds o good!

Danielle @ crispandverdant - Every Day is Fresh — September 6, 2010 @ 8:57 am

Great idea – layering yogurt like that inspires visions of an outdoor cafe…

Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl — September 6, 2010 @ 8:59 am

This looks almost too pretty to eat! Almost. ;)

Low — September 6, 2010 @ 9:11 am

I really want to try making sweet quinoa. Looks awesome!

Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) — September 6, 2010 @ 9:48 am

Wow, that does look really good!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — September 6, 2010 @ 10:21 am

I am officially on full on honeycrisp search mode!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — September 6, 2010 @ 10:38 am

that looks so good! i have been reading in raw cookbooks where you dont even have to cook the quinoa (there is something about the smell of it cooking that i dont love but i also hate onions and garlic and things other people like so go figure…) but anyway you just soak it for like 12-24 hrs. Ani says you can do the same thing w/ wild rice but to soak for 3 days. Anyway this is random on quinoa cooking…lol.

Great job on the apple scores!

xo

Devon — September 6, 2010 @ 11:25 am

I may have to try this one…I am not a quinoa fan (I wish to heaven I were), but maybe in a sweeter application I’d be cool with it. Thanks!!!

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) — September 6, 2010 @ 12:18 pm

I am so jealous! I love honeycrisp apples and can’t find them anywhere. Soon I hope!

mags — September 6, 2010 @ 1:56 pm

I swear I love EVERYTHING you make and I think I’ve decided to just make everything you make and send everyone here for the recipes…LOL

Great photos!

• Jessica — September 6th, 2010 @ 5:43 pm

Hahaha you are the best! :)

Lisa @bakebikeblog — September 6, 2010 @ 2:43 pm

Not only is this visually gorgeous I bet it tasted great too!!! YUMMO!

Cristina — September 6, 2010 @ 2:52 pm

A beautiful, fresh & healthy layered dessert! I’m curious about the use of quinoa and it’s texture. I need to try this!

Heidi - Apples Under My Ben — September 6, 2010 @ 4:08 pm

Wow, this looks so amazing! I cant wait to try one for myself. Healthy and delicious! I love the separate layers, as opposed to them all mushing together xo

Heidi - Apples Under My Ben — September 6, 2010 @ 4:10 pm

I cant even spell my name right – how embarrassing! :)

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed — September 6, 2010 @ 4:11 pm

fixed. my bad… :)

Jessica@tastyandtrim — September 6, 2010 @ 4:32 pm

I always look forward to seeing the amazing recipes you post each day. This one definitely did not disappoint :)

1. Pingback: Bloggy Round Up | Watch My Butt Shrink! A Weight Loss Blog

2. Pingback: Calories Blog » Blog Archive » Veggie Might: D? Derna lunch? Minute Packages

3. Pingback: Savvy Selections: Sept.11.2010 — Savvy Eats

4. Pingback: Pumpkin Pie Quinoa Parfaits. | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: beka stays creative : inspired 9.11.11 « beka stays

6. Pingback: Roasted Blueberry Coconut Quinoa Parfait with Coconut Granola. | How Sweet It Is

7. Pingback: Tufts Dining Hall Hacks | Tasty Tufts