Easiest recipe ever.

In fact, not even a recipe at all.

But so simple, delicious, economical and healthy that I had to share.

Especially after last night’s gluttonous shenanigans.

Something had to give. And today it’s the button on my pants, thanks to that dinner.

I’m just glad we made it through the night without any clogged arteries or myocardial infarctions. Whatever those are.

Have you ever made homemade bagel chips? They are so easy!

I used whole wheat bagels, but those are obviously boring. Cinnamon or asiago bagels would taste so much better.

It is best to use bagels that are a bit stale. Just slice them very thin, brush with olive oil and top with sea salt. Or whatever else you may like.

Simple Bagel Chips

2 large whole wheat bagels or 4 mini whole wheat bagels

1 tablespoon olive oil

sea salt

Preheat oven to 425.

Slice thin rounds from the bagel, using all pieces even if they break in half. Brush all pieces with olive oil and top with sea salt.

Bake for 8-10 minutes but watch closely – oven times may differ.

I couldn’t really figure out how to get a great, non-blurry shot of the thin bagel crisp. It must have been the butter.

From now on, today I’m blaming everything on the butter.

54 Responses to “Super Simple Bagel Chips.”

Katrina — September 3, 2010 @ 4:13 am

I love bagel chips! I’ve never made them though and have always wanted to. I think I’ll make everything bagel chips, mmmm.

Estela @ Weekly Bite — September 3, 2010 @ 4:16 am

Looooove Bagel chips!!! This recipe does look so easy!

Marisa @Loser for Life — September 3, 2010 @ 4:24 am

I already have issues with pita chips! Now, it looks like I’m gonna have to add bagel chips to the list… ;)

Tabitha (From Single to Married) — September 3, 2010 @ 4:27 am

mmm… the perfect breakfast!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — September 3, 2010 @ 4:27 am

Ahhh, homemade bagel chips!! Brilliant! They always come in WAY too small a bag :-)

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — September 3, 2010 @ 4:35 am

Yum! Bagel chips! Perfect for dipping! Have a great Friday!

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) — September 3, 2010 @ 5:38 am

Ooo- I never thought about making my own, it does look easy and delicious!

Annie — September 3, 2010 @ 5:42 am

I love bagel chips, but it never occurred to me to make them at home. These look super tasty!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — September 3, 2010 @ 5:53 am

They made bagel chips like this at the restaurant I interned at for a few days this summer!! So good. Is it weird that I call bagels bajels…?

• Mike Arras — November 20th, 2010 @ 8:20 pm

Erica — September 3, 2010 @ 5:55 am

I love bagel chips. There’s a restaurant close by me that serves bagel chips with your sandwich and they are the homemade ones….soo good!

Kate @ Cozydelicious — September 3, 2010 @ 5:57 am

I love bagel chips – why have I never made my own? I have no idea! But these look yummy and perfect for scooping up tons of hummus.

Abby — September 3, 2010 @ 5:59 am

I’ve never made bagel chips.. but I just made pita chips the other night because I had this great hummus that I wanted to eat, and I didn’t have any veggies, so I made the pita chips. Excellent decision. Next will be bagel chips :)

Ellen@FirednFabulous — September 3, 2010 @ 6:17 am

Simple.Bagel.Chips. Those words are magnificent alone, and together, well, it’s just mind blowing. YUMMMM. I’m always looking for something new to smear hummus all over!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — September 3, 2010 @ 6:38 am

SO easy! my mom used to make those when we had lots of leftover bagels in the house! also…croutons!! stale bread-cube it and do the same thing! they are SO SO SO good!!!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — September 3, 2010 @ 6:44 am

I don’t think I’ve ever had bagel chips! I must try these!

Kristina @ spabettie — September 3, 2010 @ 6:48 am

yep.. when I saw the title I immediately thought CINNAMON.

why don’t I ever do this?? asiago sounds nommity – NOM too!!

marla {family fresh cooking} — September 3, 2010 @ 6:59 am

Now you know me, I would go with the whole wheat bagels for these crunchy bits of yum. I have never made homemade bagel chips but you have inspired me to do so!! xo

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — September 3, 2010 @ 7:12 am

Oh my gosh, I used to eat whole bags of bagel chips in one sitting. These could prove to be very dangerous…

Jenna — September 3, 2010 @ 7:18 am

I have a few bagels in my fridge that I should make this recipe with. It’s been a long time since I’ve had bagel chips!

Jessica@tastyandtrim — September 3, 2010 @ 7:18 am

I have to try this with mini cinnamon raisin bagels! Such a fun snack and super easy!

Emily Marie — September 3, 2010 @ 7:24 am

Oh my, these look so good! And it would give me an excellent reason to make some hummus – I never eat hummus with veggies either – I can’t wait to make these!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers — September 3, 2010 @ 7:30 am

So simple yet so good…why can’t I thing of these things?! :)

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — September 3, 2010 @ 7:31 am

Sundried Tomato Pesto Bean Dip: a variation of your own Two Bean Pesto dip! I think I should have stuck with regular pesto, but it was still tassssty. Might even be tasty with these here bagel chips!

I put in a link to your blog. Thanks for the great idea!

Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun — September 3, 2010 @ 7:38 am

Mmmm…I could see them now, whole wheat bagels topped with olive oil and cinnamon sugar dipped in a tup of (homemade) frosting…or yogurt. Perfect snack or dessert or breakfast. ;-)

Dana — September 3, 2010 @ 8:07 am

Great tip! You can also make your own tortilla chips pretty much the same way!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — September 3, 2010 @ 8:19 am

um, YUM! whatcha using for a dip in that picture?

• Jessica — September 3rd, 2010 @ 8:48 am

Hummus! :)

Courtney @ Bread & Bokeh — September 3, 2010 @ 8:48 am

I make my own tortilla chips and potato chips, but never thought to make bagel chips! I am going to have a good time experimenting with these! I can think of so many flavor combinations!

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) — September 3, 2010 @ 9:10 am

I love dunking bagel chips in my soup. YUM. These look great

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — September 3, 2010 @ 9:27 am

I love bagel chips, but have never realyl thought to make them myself! Great idea Jessica.

Wei-Wei — September 3, 2010 @ 9:32 am

I always thought of bagel chips being sliced the other way round, but what’s the fun in that? These look awesome. I bet it’d be hard for me to slice them thinly, though…

Camille — September 3, 2010 @ 9:44 am

Mmm, you say bagel and I’m sold :)

Caitlin — September 3, 2010 @ 9:54 am

I’m adopting that last line and subbing “coffee” for “butter.”

I would never even THINK of this. I think you should try it with hummus. You know, I think I remember you saying you kind of like it.

Steph@stephsbitebybite — September 3, 2010 @ 10:26 am

Who knew that bagel chips could be that easy! I acutally feel like a dork for not realizing this is how to make em

Mary @ Bites and Bliss — September 3, 2010 @ 10:41 am

These look awesome! I love bagel chips but they’re so darn expensive from the store. Yum!

fitnfabmama — September 3, 2010 @ 10:44 am

These look so simple and delicious. A fabulous snack.

Katie — September 3, 2010 @ 10:56 am

I always used to beg my mom to buy bagel chips when I was a kid, but they were so expensive (and I usually finished the bag in one sitting) that she rarely indulged me. I wish I would have known about this when I was 10…

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — September 3, 2010 @ 11:08 am

genius idea of what to do w/ an entire bag of impulse buy TJs bagels that Scott buys as they are about to go stale & old…bagel chips!!

love our emails…now it’s time to lift and grunt :)

xo

janetha g. — September 3, 2010 @ 11:51 am

ohhh what a lovely idea!

Rachel — September 3, 2010 @ 1:00 pm

mmmm looks delicious! wish I could eat wheat. Unfortunately I have to follow a gluten free diet, and bagel chips are definitely something I miss. I do make my own pita chips with brown rice wraps however. But still looking for a bagel chips or pretzel alternative!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — September 3, 2010 @ 1:13 pm

Why haven’t I thought of this?? Making these as soon as I get my hands on some bagels.

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com — September 3, 2010 @ 2:47 pm

CUTE!!! super slimmed down bagel lol. i like the idea of quickly tossing it in the oven to make it chip/cracker-textured ;)

xoxo

homecookedem — September 3, 2010 @ 3:22 pm

Ok, why have I not ever thought of this? This looks easy and delicious!! Thanks for the great idea!! :)

Joyce — September 3, 2010 @ 5:52 pm

Hi!

This is my first visit to your blog and I’m totally loving it. I love the idea of making bagel chips because I’m a bagel addict and I practically eat one everyday. Great job!

Joyce

Sues — September 3, 2010 @ 8:49 pm

I love bagel chips, but have never thought to make my own. But I DO love making my own pita chips. These look awesome!!

Kim in MD — September 5, 2010 @ 10:57 am

I love bagel chips, but have always purchased them. Making them at home makes perfect sense, and I love that you use whole grain bagels! Another “why didn’t I think of that?” moment! :-)

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy — September 6, 2010 @ 1:23 pm

It makes so much more sense to make them!! What a great idea! I love them on salads! Thanks!

Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) — September 7, 2010 @ 2:15 am

I’ve never seen bagel chips before, they seem to be popular. Great homemade version :)

Kat — September 7, 2010 @ 11:21 am

SO EXCITED for this post because 1- I LOVE bagel chips and mine never came out that great but this looks perfect and 2- You’re always wondering what to do with bagels that are a couple of days old and you really hate wasting $$ by throwing them out.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — September 7, 2010 @ 6:12 pm

That’s a fantastic idea! I love to buy bagels but don’t eat nearly as many as I think I will (which is probably a good thing). Love this idea to make homemade bagel chips!

We are not Martha — September 15, 2010 @ 3:13 pm

Ohh. Love bagel chips. there’s a place down the street from me that serves the best bagel chips and whipped cream cheese and other spreads! This is such a great idea to make your own, though! [chels]