I didn’t always love sweet potatoes, but I am so glad I came around.

When I asked Mr. How Sweet what he wanted for his birthday dinner, he exclaimed “Steak! And… mashed potatoes!”

As if I didn’t see that one coming…

After a few moments of silence, I asked, “Well, what about mashed sweet potatoes?”

I’ve never seen someone’s eyes light up so bright before. He loves his sweet potatoes.

And I had never mashed them before. Or whipped them. Or whatever you want to call it. All I know is that I took a potato masher, fork and spoon and went to town.

Poor little guys never stood a chance.

I left these sweet potatoes a bit on the savory side because Mr. How Sweet doesn’t like sweet taters with all the fixin’s. Who doesn’t like that?! Give me all the cinnamon and melty marshmallow that can fit on that tater. And add some ice cream, bacon and chocolate while you’re at it.

Alas, he prefers them plain. How boring.

Thank goodness he has me to spice up his life.

I should stop. If there was ever a day to watch what I say, it should be today.

Whipped Sweet Potatoes

serves 4-6

4 large sweet potatoes

2 tablespoons butter

1/4 cup heavy cream

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon sea salt

pinch of nutmeg

Cut the potatoes into chunks and place in a large pot. Cover with cold water and let come to a boil. Turn down to medium-high and let cook for about 20-30 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender.

Drain water and add potatoes back to the pot. Add butter, heavy cream, salt, pepper, vanilla and nutmeg. Whip with a whisk, mashed, fork, or immersion blender. You can also put them in a stand mixer and blend, but I find that they are pretty soft and don’t need that.

Add more ingredients or additional spices to your liking.

I have a feeling that I’m going to be making lots of these whipped sweet potatoes over the next few months. You know… since I changed the game and all.

88 Responses to “Simple Whipped Sweet Potatoes.”

Mary (A Merry Life) — October 1, 2010 @ 4:00 am

I would just assume you liked sweet potatoes… you know, cause they are sweet! Hehe. These look good… I love anything with sweet potatoes.

Amanda — October 1, 2010 @ 4:00 am

We make mashed sweet potatoes A LOT in our house. Usually I combine sweet and white potatoes so they aren’t too sweet though.

Tabitha (From Single to Married) — October 1, 2010 @ 4:03 am

Perfect for the first day of October!

Marisa @Loser for Life — October 1, 2010 @ 4:05 am

Oooh, I’m making these for Thanksgiving! Yummy!

A Teenage Gourmet — October 1, 2010 @ 4:06 am

Plus bourbon, plus orange juice/zest . . . trust me. ;)

• Jessica — October 1st, 2010 @ 4:27 am

I trust you. That sounds incredible.

Katrina — October 1, 2010 @ 4:10 am

These look great! Thanks for sharing.

Krystina — October 1, 2010 @ 4:23 am

Those look like butta!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — October 1, 2010 @ 4:32 am

I love mashed sweet potatoes! My mother in law makes them so sweet that I had to eat them as dessert at Thanksgiving, but I loved them! When I eat them with my meal, I like them more savory too! Keep your chin up today…I hope it is a good one for you Jessica!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — October 1, 2010 @ 4:38 am

You know… I’ve never mashed sweet potatoes either. Just on Turkey Day for SP Casserole :)

Have a great Friday :)

Kim in MD — October 1, 2010 @ 4:45 am

I have never had mashed sweet potatoes, but they sure look amazing! I love sweet potatoes, so I will definately give these a try!

Erica — October 1, 2010 @ 4:48 am

I used to be a white potato girl too. Then…one day, it switched and now I just love love sweet potatoes. Theres something about having a savory & sweet mix that is just so satisfying. These are perfect. Your man is lucky…. Saw your other post about your job BTW- good good good for you! Health & happiness are the two most important things in life. I know things will turn out perfectly

Amalia — October 1, 2010 @ 5:24 am

I love sweet potatoes mora then life itself. *sigh* I wish I had some right now!
    Thanks a lot, love your site

-Amalia

Lauren at KeepItSweet — October 1, 2010 @ 5:28 am

i’m definitely partial to marshmallow topped sweet potatoes, but these look yummy as well

Heather — October 1, 2010 @ 5:29 am

I need to make these immediately. As in for breakfast.

Wei-Wei — October 1, 2010 @ 5:36 am

Mmmm, butter. I wonder if anyone would make mashed pumpkin… Sounds weird though.

Matt — October 1, 2010 @ 5:49 am

Those look good! I prefer my sweet potatoes roasted though ;)

Evan Thomas — October 1, 2010 @ 5:54 am

Yum! Those sound terrific. I don’t like “regular’ mashed potatoes but these I bet I’d love :-)

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — October 1, 2010 @ 6:25 am

Have you ever made sweet potato pie? It is pure heaven and seem like it would be right up your alley

• Jessica — October 1st, 2010 @ 7:09 am

No! I need to.

Katie — October 1, 2010 @ 6:38 am

I love mashed sweet potatoes so much – whenever I make them, the husband (who hates sweet potatoes) asks me if I’m eating baby food. I say yes, and that it’s delicious. :-)

barefootgirl27 — October 1, 2010 @ 6:47 am

Is it wrong that it’s not even 10 am & I’m thinking about these topped with toasted pecans & a drizzle of bourbon?

• Jessica — October 1st, 2010 @ 7:08 am

That is SO right.

Yum Yucky — October 1, 2010 @ 7:08 am

Mmmm! Thanksgiving greediness. I gonna add it to my menu.

Erin of Fit Mama Training — October 1, 2010 @ 7:11 am

I like to whip em up with a little chicken stock and a dash of cream and THEN bake them like cookies. They make cute little medalions and changes the texture a little. Crispy outside, creamy inside. Delish.

LOVE the pictures, makes everything look delectable.

• Jessica — October 1st, 2010 @ 7:12 am

Excellent idea!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete — October 1, 2010 @ 7:20 am

I am totally with you on loving taters with marshmallows, cinnamon, brown sugar, all of that good stuff!

Jessica@tastyandtrim — October 1, 2010 @ 7:20 am

Those look delicious! I think potatoes taste the best when they are mashed (or in the form of fries, of course :) ) I would love to top them with some mini marshmallows and bake ‘em in the oven for a couple minutes!

Rachel @ the Avid Appetite — October 1, 2010 @ 7:25 am

Psyched that sweet potatoes are back for the season! These would also be pretty fabulous with a touch of maple syrup! (the real kind)

Elizabeth — October 1, 2010 @ 7:34 am

Those look delish! My husband never wants anything too sweet either, but I always want some brown sugar in my sweet potatoes!!!

TheHealthyApron — October 1, 2010 @ 7:59 am

I’ve had a sweet potato in the cupboard calling my name all week…I think this post is a sign I need to utilize that bad boy!

Lindsay — October 1, 2010 @ 8:39 am

My dear, you are absolutely brilliant!!! Our husbands would be two peas in a pod with their love (obsession) for sweet potatoes. It’s our anniversary next week and have been scrambling as to what to make. Mashed sweet potatoes it is!! I may even get “wife of the year” award. If so, I promise to share it with you. ;) Have a great weekend!

Chicago Cuisine Critique — October 1, 2010 @ 8:57 am

I love my sweet potatoes and these look fantastic!

Jenna — October 1, 2010 @ 9:40 am

I never make mashed potatoes. It always just seems like a lot of effort for little payout. I’d much rather just eat the potato straight up, in french fry form, or in wedges. This recipe is, as you put it, a game changer. I never crave mashed potatoes, but these look to die for!

Liz @ Bog is the New Black — October 1, 2010 @ 9:52 am

Gotta make these! Love me some SPs.

rachel — October 1, 2010 @ 11:18 am

i don’t think i’ve tried mashing sweet potatoes before, but they look delicious!

Megan (Braise The Roof) — October 1, 2010 @ 11:18 am

I grew up with whipped (instead of mashed) potatoes. My dad never called them “whipped” but he definitely used a hand mixer every time. And, of course, they were always Idaho russets, not sweet. Although we all love sweet potatoes…ah, family traditions. :) I’m impressed that you managed that fluffy consistency with just a masher- you have some muscles, girl!

Leah @ Why Deprive? — October 1, 2010 @ 11:51 am

These look awesome! Ive never mashed sweet potatoes before. Unless you count mashing them with my fork to mix in the butter . . .

Ellen @FirednFabulous — October 1, 2010 @ 11:52 am

Yummm! Love sweet potatoes…in any form. Btw, my sis and I are attempting to make your pasta/BBQ chicken dish tonight! Wish us luck ;)

• Jessica — October 1st, 2010 @ 11:59 am

Good luck! :)

the country cook @ Delightful Country Cookin — October 1, 2010 @ 11:57 am

I’m kind of with him…love them savory! I don’t know that I’ve ever whipped them…can’t wait to try it.

Blond Duck — October 1, 2010 @ 12:14 pm

I’ve always steamed them to mash them….I’ve never tried boiling. And like you, I dump a ton of brown sugar and cinnamon in mine.

Have you ever tried roasting them with brown sugar and cinnamon?

• Jessica — October 1st, 2010 @ 12:25 pm

Yes.. love em that way!

Courtney@foodnfashionlife.wordpress.com — October 1, 2010 @ 1:35 pm

I wanted you to know that I showed my husband the bbq pasta recipe and I’m pretty sure that if I don’t make that for dinner next week, he’ll leave me. That’s all. :)

Simply Life — October 1, 2010 @ 2:31 pm

oh what a great idea for sweet potatoes!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — October 1, 2010 @ 3:20 pm

one of my all time favorite things on this planet are sweet potatoes + marshmellows on thanksgiving! I CRAVE them whenever the time rolls around!!! this looks so delicious and you could throw on some ‘mellows—he wouldnt even know! hehe <3 you!

Karly — October 1, 2010 @ 4:43 pm

I don’t even like sweet potatoes, but for some reason now I’m craving them. Yours look so yummy! I might have to make those this weekend!

Morgan @ Life After Bagels — October 1, 2010 @ 6:22 pm

My bf HATES sweet potatoes, and he loves regular mashed potatoes so much that I think he would throw a pot of mashed sweet potatoes on the ground and sulk like a child if I made that.

But you are free to make them for me anytime, just leave out the steak :) hehehe

homecookedem — October 1, 2010 @ 6:56 pm

These scream Thanksgiving to me!! :)

Salah@myhealthiestlifestyle — October 1, 2010 @ 8:14 pm

mmmmI love sweet potatoes :-)

Jessica @ The Process of Healing — October 1, 2010 @ 8:36 pm

Oh i loooooooove sweet potatoes… any way, shape, or form.

Taylor — October 1, 2010 @ 8:48 pm

I am absolutely making these this weekend!! p.s. Congrats on the game changer…it might be scary now, but it will be totally worth it!

Peggy — October 2, 2010 @ 7:24 am

I love mashed sweet potatoes! I love them any way they come! Plain, spiced, the works, you name it.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — October 2, 2010 @ 8:28 am

I love sweet potatoes all ways … mashed, baked, roasted, french fried … they are AWESOME!

erinsgobragh — October 2, 2010 @ 10:12 am

Oh gosh where’s the marshmallows?

Lora @cakeduchess — October 2, 2010 @ 2:03 pm

Oh, these just look so yummy and good! I love your blog and am happy I stumbled on it today.:)
    Lora

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Amazing Whipped Sweet Potatoes. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Savory Sweet Potato Skins. | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: For Your Eating Pleasure. | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: Guest Post: Sweet Potato Skins | Heather's Dish

5. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #45 – Simple Whipped Sweet Potatoes « Ella Rose Entertaining

6. Pingback: Thanksgiving time sheet | Running Betty