It was such a beautiful weekend here!

This is my absolute favorite time of year. I love it all – the scents, the scenes, the weather… It was very reminiscent of what our wedding weekend was like two years ago. Hard to believe that it has been two years already.

Mr. How Sweet and I had a fun weekend and laid low. We stayed in tonight for dinner because our real anniversary trip comes next weekend when we take a mini vacation. Can’t wait!

For every other anniversary or occasion, the meal usually consists of steak and potatoes. I’m sure you’ll have a really hard time guessing who requests that. But I was out to change that today. Comfort food it was.

We made some delicious cornbread.

[i couldn't stop sampling]

While I am no expert when it comes to cornbread, this was definitely the best I’ve made so far. Recipe coming soon.

Some chili topped with grated gouda:

And my favorite brussels sprouts combo.

This was the first time Mr. How Sweet got to try the brussels sprouts mix. He thought it was “okay.” Clearly he has some more how-to-keep-your-wife-happy classes to attend.

This was our fancy setup – no tablecloth, napkins, or place settings. Class act.

Mr. How Sweet thought the entire spread was an “odd combination.” I don’t really think we need to get into “odd” after I watched him doing an abs workout video this afternoon on a yoga mat.

And I wanted to snap a “happy anniversary” photo of the two of us to share, but didn’t think you needed to be subjected to his interpretation of The Situation.  Maybe next week.

On a thrilling note… tonight is the last Sunday I’m going to be feeling the Sunday blues! My last official day of work is on Thursday before we leave for our trip. I have always felt the Sunday blues (even growing up when I enjoyed school) but it has never been anything like this. This just might be the best week ever.

34 Responses to “Anniversary Dinner = Comfort Food.”

Sonja {ActiveFoodie} — October 10, 2010 @ 5:18 pm

Happy anniversary! I think the spread looks deee-licious :) chili and cornbread is one of our favorite meals. Have fun on your trip!!!

April @ Crazy Fabulous Life — October 10, 2010 @ 5:21 pm

Happy Anniversary! :)

I dislike chili, but I made some for Hubs a couple of weeks ago and I made cornbread as well..only I added in green chiles and cheddar cheese. It was pretty amazing. Try it out sometime!

Have fun on your trip :) I hope you have an amazing time.

Becca — October 10, 2010 @ 5:22 pm

You dinner sounds like it may have been a perfect description of your marriage… Warm, comforting, inviting, and surounded by and encompassed in your love for one another and all of the things that make the two of you happy! What an amazing and wonderful celebration! May you be blessed with many more years of wonderful!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — October 10, 2010 @ 5:27 pm

Those are my favorite types of dinners, homemade and no fuss and enjoying each other’s company. I hear ya on the Sunday blues, I’ve been having them too. I’m so happy for you that this is your last week of work!

barefootgirl27 — October 10, 2010 @ 5:35 pm

you had BRUSSEL SPROUTS as part of your anniversary dinner???

WHO are you????

*smooch* and happy anniversary.. you are an adorable couple :)

Cara Craves... — October 10, 2010 @ 5:36 pm

Mmmm!
    I think I would like some of that cornbread, please!

Holly — October 10, 2010 @ 5:52 pm

Looks awesome- I LOVE cornbread. Definitely making some tomorrow :D
    I laughed out loud about that comment about ‘odd combination’ & Mr. How Sweet’s ab video- you are too funny!!
    Hope you two are enjoying your night & YAYYYYy for last night of Sunday night blues!

Evan Thomas — October 10, 2010 @ 7:37 pm

” I don’t really think we need to get into “odd” after I watched him doing an abs workout video this afternoon on a yoga mat.”

I do this, too…

Mara @ What's For Dinner? — October 10, 2010 @ 7:50 pm

Great dinner for a great couple… congrats on the last week, that’s gotta feel amazing!

Natalia - a side of simple — October 10, 2010 @ 8:48 pm

Mmm Chili and cornbread. dEElicious!

the blissful baker — October 10, 2010 @ 9:02 pm

what a great meal! i think the brussel sprouts look delicious!

janetha — October 10, 2010 @ 9:37 pm

YUM. Random as it may be, this all looked excellent! Marshall wants me to make cornbread this week. What is your recipe?

Meg — October 10, 2010 @ 9:46 pm

Corn bread is one of my husband’s and my favorite comfort foods. By the way, I made your whipped sweet potatoes and really love them! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Kristina @ spabettie — October 10, 2010 @ 11:34 pm

SO excited for you as you go into your LAST WEEK ! :D

this all looks fabulous, minus those brussels. ;)

MelissaNibbles — October 11, 2010 @ 1:53 am

Everything looks delicious as usual Jess! Enjoy your last week…if you can enjoy work that is.

Wei-Wei — October 11, 2010 @ 2:35 am

Happy anniversary! I just love that dish you baked the cornbread in – where did you get it?

• Jessica — October 11th, 2010 @ 4:09 am

It is Butler’s Pantry by Lenox – got it for my wedding but it is still available!

Lauren — October 11, 2010 @ 4:09 am

What a fantastic fall dinner! The cornbread sounds incredible. I started putting pumpkin in my cornbread batter and will never go back to regular again.

Happy Anniversary to the cutest couple!!! :)

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy — October 11, 2010 @ 5:24 am

Wow, brussels sprouts on the anniversary! I’m impressed! The chili and cornbread look delicious! Can’t wait for the cornbread recipe. I’ve made a bunch and have liked them but I’m still looking for THE one. I see Lauren above me puts pumpkin in hers, I need to check THAT out!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — October 11, 2010 @ 5:26 am

Happy anniversary!! I love that you made dinner- so cozy to just spend the night in with someone you love :) Have a great week!

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies — October 11, 2010 @ 5:51 am

Happppy Anniversary and the end of Sunday blues!! :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — October 11, 2010 @ 5:58 am

What a beautiful anniversary dinner! Yum!

Kim in MD — October 11, 2010 @ 5:59 am

It looks incredible, especially the brussel sprouts! I can’t wait for you to share the recipe for the corn bread!

Tina — October 11, 2010 @ 6:09 am

Hehe. You had brussels for your anniversary dinner!!! It all looks fabulous. Enjoy your LAST MONDAY!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — October 11, 2010 @ 7:14 am

aw, come on! i want to see The Situation as interpreted by Mr. How Sweet :)

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston — October 11, 2010 @ 7:19 am

Yay for the last day of the blues! Just keep looking forward to your trip!

Your corn bread reminded me that I just bought some corn meal and was going to create a GF corn bread recipe.. guess I should do that sooN!

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen — October 11, 2010 @ 8:58 am

I love odd combination kinds of dinners! Happy Anniversary to you guys and have a great time on your trip!

katie@cozydelicious — October 11, 2010 @ 9:07 am

Your wedding dress was beautiful! And I love your dinner. My kind of celebration!

Jenna — October 11, 2010 @ 1:10 pm

Ohh, lady, I’m way jealous that this is your last week of feeling the Sunday blues. It really is such a horrible feeling!

I heart cornbread, I wouldn’t be able to stop sampling either! Cornbread batter is one of my favorite batters, too!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — October 11, 2010 @ 2:43 pm

Your anniversary meal looks perfect :-)

Rowie — October 11, 2010 @ 3:12 pm

Congrats on your anniversary! My husband and I are celebrating our second anniversary today! We are also taking our mini vacay this coming weekend! Hope yours is wonderful!

• Jessica — October 11th, 2010 @ 3:38 pm

Happy anniversary!

Trish — October 11, 2010 @ 6:51 pm

I can’t wait to get rid of the Sunday blues! One of my goals within the next 2 years is to quit my job and follow my dreams. I just wasn’t meant for the 9 to 5 grind and can’t wait to leave it behind. For now, it’s nice to see you following yours :-)

natalie (the sweets life) — October 12, 2010 @ 12:59 pm

aww happy anniversary! my 2 year is coming up on the 25th–goes so stinkin fast! love that you guys did the comfort food thing…i think i’ll propose that to my hubs. eat my anniversary dinner in sweats? yes please!