I know I just made applesauce, but I couldn’t resist.

The applesauce I made a few weeks ago was simple and delicious. But it was also a bit… boring. I stumbled upon this recipe in Traverse magazine and have since dubbed it dessert applesauce.

I was reeled in with the idea of ice cream on top, though I knew that it would be too rich to eat as a side dish with a meal. It reminded me of an apple crisp without the crisp – but even better. Hence the “dessert.”
The recipe specifically warned against using honeycrisp apples, so I used galas. They seemed to work great!

After topping the applesauce with a scoop of french vanilla ice cream, I sprinkled some candied ginger on it too. As you can see, the ice cream got all melty since the applesauce was still warm. I love the combo of the warm apples and cold ice cream together.
I’m amazed that I could even get the applesauce into a bowl and add the ice cream since I couldn’t stop eating it straight from the pot.

Dessert Applesauce

from Traverse magazine

serves 3-4

4 gala apples, chopped

1 teaspoon lemon zest

1/4 cup maple syrup

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (I added this in)

pinch of ground cloves

pinch of ground ginger

pinch of nutmeg

vanilla ice cream for serving

Add chopped apples to a pot and just cover with water. Add sugar, syrup, lemon zest, vanilla and spices and bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered until apples are mushy, about 45-60 minutes. Add more water if needed. Turn off heat and mash apples. Serve with vanilla ice cream.

Before last week I have never made homemade applesauce, nor had I even tasted it. Now I don’t think I’m ever going to stop making it. Or eating it.

73 Responses to “Applesauce Take 2.”

Nicole, RD — October 4, 2010 @ 4:11 am

I love it…applesauce a la mode! I am making applesauce tonight! YUM! Can’t beat homemade!

Tabitha (From Single to Married) — October 4, 2010 @ 4:25 am

mmmm…

enough said

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — October 4, 2010 @ 4:35 am

I know, apple season is my favorite! Apples taste like candy now and they are just perfect for eating and cooking! I love making homemade chunky applesauce! Goes great in oats too! It looks delicious!

Erica — October 4, 2010 @ 4:48 am

mmm just the thought of apples with maple syrup sounds good. Add ice cream…amazing. This is my kind of dessert. I’ve never tried candied ginger- I am intrigued

Kristy — October 4, 2010 @ 4:51 am

That looks like a perfectly balanced breakfast, right? Yum-o!

Barbara Bakes — October 4, 2010 @ 5:07 am

What a fabulous way to dress up applesauce. I’m loving the pictures!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — October 4, 2010 @ 5:08 am

Well if that isn’t the perfect cold weather dessert, I don’t know what is.

Heather — October 4, 2010 @ 5:18 am

yeah…so the combo of applesauce and ice cream is my waistband’s worst nightmare…just sayin’ ;)

Lauren at KeepItSweet — October 4, 2010 @ 5:25 am

what a great idea! plus, it’s fruit for dessert so it’s healthy;-)

Noelle @Opera Singer in Kitchen — October 4, 2010 @ 5:36 am

Traverse magazine? I want a copy! This looks great!

Erica — October 4, 2010 @ 5:40 am

I have not had homemade applesauce in forever! This looks awesome!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — October 4, 2010 @ 5:58 am

Ohhhh myyyy goshhhhh ah this looks so GOOD!! Perfect for a cozy snack or dessert…yet another one to add to the recipe bookmarks :)

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — October 4, 2010 @ 6:01 am

Whoa that looks incredible. I mean the applesauce looks fabulous with all that cinnamon and brown sugary goodness…but the ice cream?! Totally just put us over the edge. YUM.

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete — October 4, 2010 @ 6:22 am

I love how chunky you left the apples — just the way applesauce should be!

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies — October 4, 2010 @ 6:25 am

Ohhh, man…that looks so amazing. The applesauce in its own looks fab, but with ice cream…perfection!!

Eliana — October 4, 2010 @ 6:45 am

Is it bad that I want this for breakfast like right now, ice cream and all? It looks amazing!

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — October 4, 2010 @ 6:49 am

This breaks my heart. I was supposed to go apple picking yesterday, but last minute house emergency put that to a hault. I envision the apple-picking Lindsay in her kitchen creating this tonight :sad:

Kath — October 4, 2010 @ 7:14 am

I have 2 large bags of Gala apples from our backyard tree. Thanks so much for this recipe, Jessica! I love the maple syrup in it, and the spices look just right.

Kim in MD — October 4, 2010 @ 7:14 am

OMG-you are killing me, Jessica! I want to make every single recipe you post…there are just not enough hours in a day! :-)

Lauren — October 4, 2010 @ 7:20 am

Love. I will be making this over and over again, I am sure!

Maria — October 4, 2010 @ 7:24 am

This is my kind of dessert!

Kelly — October 4, 2010 @ 7:27 am

HOLY WOW!!! This looks amazing!!

Amalia — October 4, 2010 @ 7:32 am

mmmm that looks so good! Im making an apple dessert too! I’ll post it soon ;)

-Amalia

Jess — October 4, 2010 @ 8:23 am

the combo of apples and ice cream is my favorite !

Yum Yucky — October 4, 2010 @ 8:23 am

ohh, I thought those were red potatoes. Doh!

Biz — October 4, 2010 @ 9:00 am

When my daughter was little we went apple picking every fall – made tons of applesauce in my day!

Lately though, no matter what the recipe, my go to apple is now Fuji – they never let me down and hold their consistency. My hubs has declared my apple pie the best he’s ever had!

Happy Monday!

• Jessica — October 4th, 2010 @ 9:10 am

I will have to try it with Fuji!

Talia @ Texas Gunslinger — October 4, 2010 @ 9:01 am

This dish looks like it could possibly be the ONLY way I’d eat apples again. Seriously, I do not like apples very much, but hidden beneath ice cream and candied ginger could change my perspective.

I think I’m the opposite of you. I LOVE veggies, but don’t really like fruit (only a handful). HAHA!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — October 4, 2010 @ 9:09 am

I need this. Immediately.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — October 4, 2010 @ 10:04 am

You’re the queen of applesauce. Makes your house smell awesome I bet!

on blackberry rest of the day, miss you! Fill me in on life if there’s any news :)

Ellen @FirednFabulous — October 4, 2010 @ 10:20 am

Yummm! Those pics look so profesh, too! :)

Blond Duck — October 4, 2010 @ 10:42 am

Oh my gosh. You read my mind. I was craving spiced apples or apple crisp or something…this looks amazing. And I have a fridge full of galas!

Jenna — October 4, 2010 @ 10:46 am

Since it’s ‘applesauce’ it is totally healthy and acceptable to eat the whole recipe worth right out of the pot, right?

marla {family fresh cooking} — October 4, 2010 @ 10:55 am

My oh my….this does look grand. Love the crystal ginger on top. Wonder why no Honey Crisps though–too acidic, wrong texture?? xo

Tracy — October 4, 2010 @ 11:37 am

This looks incredible! I think I still have a few apples lying around…guess I know what I’ll be making when I get home! :-)

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather — October 4, 2010 @ 11:41 am

Fabulous! Sometimes I top warmed homemade applesauce with vanilla yogurt. That way it’s more of an energizing snack than dessert mid morning.

• Jessica — October 4th, 2010 @ 11:51 am

That is an awesome idea!

Jamie @ Food in Real Life — October 4, 2010 @ 12:03 pm

I wonder why they advised against honeycrisp? Maybe because they don’t think you should turn apples that are $3.99 a pound into sauce? ;)
    This looks so good. I think its actually a good healthy alternative to apple crisp. I mean sort of…because no crumble = a good excuse for 2 times the amount of ice cream.

Diane — October 4, 2010 @ 12:25 pm

I love anything apples! Apple crisp, apple pie, candy apple…YUM YUM YUM. I have a delicious “chunky crock pot applesauce” recipe that I just love. I could barely contain myself. LOL.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — October 4, 2010 @ 12:40 pm

This is making my tummy rumble! Vanilla ice cream + apples = goodness. Apple-lovin’ must be in the air this week – I just posted delightful apple cupcakes on my site today!

• Jessica — October 4th, 2010 @ 12:48 pm

They look amazing – especially the frosting!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — October 4, 2010 @ 1:52 pm

bahhh why do you do this to me!! amazingggg…when are you coming to boston?!!?!?

erinsgobragh — October 4, 2010 @ 2:18 pm

Awesome!

Kelly — October 4, 2010 @ 2:23 pm

Yum. I’m generally so not an applesauce person but this looks fantastic and I love cooking with gala apples, so reliable. You know what would make this even better? A little candied bacon. Just saying. ;-)

Christina — October 4, 2010 @ 2:39 pm

Oh. My. I am making that TODAY.

the country cook @ Delightful Country Cookin — October 4, 2010 @ 2:40 pm

oh my! I bet THAT would make an excellent substitute for oil in baked goods (although I don’t know that it would make it much healthier!). :-)

barefootgirl27 — October 4, 2010 @ 2:45 pm

the way I see it? you have something from both he fruit/ veg category & a dairy.

VERY well-balanced ;)

Jessica@tastyandtrim — October 4, 2010 @ 2:51 pm

holy deliciousness..the third picture made me drool. That dessert applesauce looks heavenly. I’m determined to whip some up and pair it with Edy’s seasonal apple pie ice cream :)

Holly @ yepiatethat — October 4, 2010 @ 3:59 pm

Holy crap!! I think I need to go get some ice cream. Have everything else to make the applesauce but how could I NOT put ice cream on top??

Paige @ Running Around Normal — October 4, 2010 @ 4:15 pm

Love love love that that can be called applesauce :) Looks so good!

homecookedem — October 4, 2010 @ 5:31 pm

Ice cream and warm homemade applesauce… heavenly!! :)

Cara Craves... — October 4, 2010 @ 5:32 pm

Looks delish…though I have to admit..the crispy topping is always my fav. part!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — October 4, 2010 @ 7:26 pm

Oh my GOODNESSSSSSSSSS! That looks sooo good! I just may borrow this recipe to have for a treat this week. :) YUM!!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Applesauce Take 2. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Fall is not in the air, but it’s in my kitchen. « Taking the road less traveled by

3. Pingback: Dessert Applesauce | Home Recipes Catalog