I know I just made applesauce, but I couldn’t resist.

The applesauce I made a few weeks ago was simple and delicious. But it was also a bit… boring. I stumbled upon this recipe in Traverse magazine and have since dubbed it dessert applesauce.

I was reeled in with the idea of ice cream on top, though I knew that it would be too rich to eat as a side dish with a meal. It reminded me of an apple crisp without the crisp – but even better. Hence the “dessert.”
The recipe specifically warned against using honeycrisp apples, so I used galas. They seemed to work great!

After topping the applesauce with a scoop of french vanilla ice cream, I sprinkled some candied ginger on it too. As you can see, the ice cream got all melty since the applesauce was still warm. I love the combo of the warm apples and cold ice cream together.
I’m amazed that I could even get the applesauce into a bowl and add the ice cream since I couldn’t stop eating it straight from the pot.

Dessert Applesauce

from Traverse magazine

serves 3-4

4 gala apples, chopped

1 teaspoon lemon zest

1/4 cup maple syrup

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (I added this in)

pinch of ground cloves

pinch of ground ginger

pinch of nutmeg

vanilla ice cream for serving

Add chopped apples to a pot and just cover with water. Add sugar, syrup, lemon zest, vanilla and spices and bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered until apples are mushy, about 45-60 minutes. Add more water if needed. Turn off heat and mash apples. Serve with vanilla ice cream.

Before last week I have never made homemade applesauce, nor had I even tasted it. Now I don’t think I’m ever going to stop making it. Or eating it.

73 Responses to “Applesauce Take 2.”

stacey-healthylife — October 4, 2010 @ 7:27 pm

I’ve never thought about a thicker sweeter dessert applesauce, yum.

Moni's Meals — October 4, 2010 @ 7:55 pm

greatness! I make my applesauce a little different every time it seems too. That topping seals the deal!

holly — October 4, 2010 @ 8:11 pm

This looks soooo yummy!!!!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — October 4, 2010 @ 9:27 pm

I made applesauce yesterday, but this sounds much fancier than mine!!! Mmmm!

Nicole — October 5, 2010 @ 6:46 am

This looks SO delicious!

Kacy — October 5, 2010 @ 7:35 am

My mom used to make a delicious homemade apple sauce. It smells so good! Adding ice cream is genius.

Aunt Lollie — October 5, 2010 @ 8:11 am

When i was 12 i made applesauce from my kids betty crocker cookbook. Let me tell you, this looks like one amazing applesauce. I may try it – first time in dozens of years.

Monica — October 5, 2010 @ 8:51 pm

This looks terrific… but I’m a little unsure of when you are supposed to add the sugar & maple syrup? Thanks… :)

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — October 7, 2010 @ 1:05 pm

Ohhhh my! That looks like some seriously good applesauce :)

Meagan — October 8, 2010 @ 1:18 pm

I made something similar the other day. It was delicious! Your recipe certainly looks MORE appetizing though. And I didn’t have any vanilla ice cream :(

Ingrid — October 12, 2010 @ 5:19 pm

My mouth is watering..Love love love it!

Katherine @ Dexter & Dinah — October 13, 2010 @ 10:58 pm

This looks scrumptious! I have all of the ingredients except the ice cream in my pantry/fridge right now – I’m making this tomorrow!

Jennifer (take the day off) — November 22, 2010 @ 3:20 pm

Do you think i could make this a day ahead? I’m considering it for my contribution to thanksgiving with the in-laws…

other make ahead suggestions welcome!

• Jessica — November 22nd, 2010 @ 4:12 pm

Yes I think you could! It can be served hot or cold.

Kristin — January 4, 2011 @ 1:03 am

ahhh Traverse City, Michigan. Home sweet home! I’m cooking up some delicious apple dessert at the moment, and it smells as good as it sounds! I added vanilla and almond extract (1/2 teaspoon each) plus a touch of honey because I didn’t have cloves or ginger around. It’s gunna be a sweet treat! Thanks for all of your wonderful recipes!

Emily Freeman — February 25, 2012 @ 5:47 pm

This is amazing, I made it for dessert the other night and getting ready to make it again. I added a little pumpkin pie spice and going to put it over vanilla greek yogurt instead.

Paige — January 24, 2014 @ 8:30 pm

This looks so amazing! I am making it now, but my liquid isn’t reducing at all and its still so watery… anyone else have this issue? I love the addition of the candied ginger at the end!