I have never been a fan of fruit-flavored chocolate. Unless you count chocolate-covered strawberries.

I remember seeing those chocolate oranges in a local drug store when I was younger and begging for one. Remember them? I wanted to try one so badly. I thought they were just the coolest thing ever. And a big ball of chocolate? Sign me up!

It wasn’t until college that I got my share of a chocolate orange. Imagine, to my dismay, that it was hollow. What a disappointment.

And the flavor? Well it just wasn’t for me. I prefer my chocolate plain and rich. I can be quite the chocolate snob. And well… sometimes certain chocolate just isn’t up to snuff

I vowed to never eat chocolate + citrus again.

But then I found some blood orange olive oil. And I couldn’t stop thinking about it mixed into decadent, fudgy brownies, just like someone in the store had suggested.

No fear – if you do not have orange oil, you can do the same with orange extract and orange zest. In fact, orange zest may do the trick by itself.

And the taste? The flavor is mild, but at times slightly explosive. The orange compliments the chocolate with just a sweet hint of citrus and smooth tangerine essence.

In a word… I’m in love.

Chocolate Orange Brownies

makes 12-16 brownies

(you can also make boxed brownies and add in the orange flavoring!)

1/2 cup butter

3 squares baking chocolate

2 cups sugar

4 eggs

1 cup flour

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup chocolate chips

1 tablespoon blood orange olive oil OR 1 teaspoon orange extract

1 teaspoon orange zest

Preheat oven to 350.

Melt butter and baking sqaures in a microwave safe bowl. In the mixing bowl, cream melted butter and chocolate mixture. Add in sugar and vanilla and beat until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add in eggs, beating one at a time. Add flour and stir just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.

Pour into greased 9 x 13 baking dish.  Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until just barely done. Cool before frosting.

(Note: You can still order some oil/vinegar and receive a discount using the code howsweet10.)

Ginger Chocolate Frosting

1/2 cup butter

2 cups powdered sugar

1/2 cup cocoa powder

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 tablespoon milk + more if needed

Cream together butter until fluffy. Add sugar and cocoa powder about 1/2 cup at a time until blended. Mix in ginger, vanilla and milk, adding more or less milk depending on desired consistency. Frost brownies and garnish with candied ginger.

I didn’t mean for these brownies to look Halloweenie, but alas, they do. Tis the season!

81 Responses to “Chocolate Orange Brownies with Ginger Chocolate Frosting.”

Kelly — October 20, 2010 @ 11:23 am

Would you believe I have never actually had real orange and chocolate? One year for Christmas my mom put one of those chocolate covered oranges in my stocking and it was nasty…ever since then I can’t make myself try it again! But this might the recipe to tip the scales back to the chocolate/orange favor.

Megan (Braise The Roof) — October 20, 2010 @ 11:25 am

I’m like you- I’ve never been a fan of the chocolate-citrus combo. Anytime I accidentally chose one of the cherry liqueur chocolates from the assorted box, I’d always spit it out. And I DON’T spit chocolate out. These brownies sound awesome, though- and coming from a fellow non-fan of chocolate-citrus, I think I can trust them! :)

Emily Jane — October 20, 2010 @ 11:49 am

I have two words: OM. NOM.

Jenny — October 20, 2010 @ 11:51 am

Those look great! : )

the urban baker — October 20, 2010 @ 12:02 pm

I love orange and chocolate together. this looks like a winning dessert! can’t wait to try it!

Blond Duck — October 20, 2010 @ 12:08 pm

Orange you delightful?

I know, it’s bad.

Pure2Raw Twins — October 20, 2010 @ 12:45 pm

Love orange and chocolate together, though it has been awhile since I have made something with that flavor combination. I think you just inspired to make something soon :)

Ellen@FirednFabulous — October 20, 2010 @ 1:27 pm

I don’t typically like citrus and chocolate together either, but these brownies look FAB! Plus you know I totally trust you ;)

homecookedem — October 20, 2010 @ 1:35 pm

Your halloweenie brownies look so good! I love orange+chocolate!! The frosting looks amazing!! :)

Jennifer — October 20, 2010 @ 1:39 pm

Gorgeous idea!

Jamie @ Food in Real Life — October 20, 2010 @ 3:35 pm

Adorable! But hey, I do love those chocolate oranges. My mom always put them in my christmas stocking!

Abby — October 20, 2010 @ 3:39 pm

MMM yummy!! My mom LOVES chocolate orange and I think I will have to make these for her sometime!

Katie — October 20, 2010 @ 5:41 pm

Haha, “halloweenie” – that word made me laugh. And I totally remember those little chocolate oranges, I’ve never had one, but they always intrigue me!

Ashley — October 20, 2010 @ 6:16 pm

IMPRESSED. With the photography and recipe! Photos are top notch!!!!!! yummmmmmmmmmmm

Natalie — October 20, 2010 @ 6:52 pm

Omg these look amazinggg. Please open a bakery in the burgh! I’d be a loyal customer!!

VeggieGirl — October 20, 2010 @ 7:47 pm

‘Tis the season, INDEED. I’ll take a batch, please :-D

Jiye — October 20, 2010 @ 8:12 pm

Wow! These look amazing! I had ginger cupcakes at Miette Bakery in SF for the first time a few months ago. It was surprisingly delicious!!

Eliana — October 20, 2010 @ 8:39 pm

Whoa – chocolate orange AND ginger? These could not look or sound any better.

megan — October 20, 2010 @ 9:35 pm

These look AWESOME! I just had a coffee drink at a local coffee shop and the special was an orange mocha. These remind me of how much I enjoyed that drink and now I wish I had that plate of brownies.
    I just bought some blood orange olive oil but it’s a gift for a friend. I’ll have to include this recipe! :) Thank you.

bigFATcook — October 20, 2010 @ 11:45 pm

Damn, these photos make me hungry! Love the brownies, I must make these for my brother. He loves the combination of chocolate and oranges.
    Thanx!!

Greets from BFC !!!!

amanda@seegirlcook — October 21, 2010 @ 7:08 am

yummm, i’m in love with the combination of orange and chocolate….but ginger, too? wow, i must try these out!

Tracy — October 21, 2010 @ 7:54 am

I’m huge fan of orange chocolate. These look delightful!

Moni'sMeals — October 21, 2010 @ 8:25 am

Jessica,
    I am not a huge fan of chocolate AND orange combo (CHOCOLATE YES) BUT after reviewing your fab recipe, I think I would really like it. Thanks for antoher great dessert idea.

Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) — October 21, 2010 @ 10:35 am

I actually just had dark chocolate orange ice-cream. i was in heaven! Those brownies look delicious and after last nights experience I know what I’m going to make next. :)

Kathryn — October 21, 2010 @ 12:34 pm

Hey! Just stopping by to let you know we’re giving away a signed Sandra Lee cookbook with 1,001 recipes over at Chew on That! We’d love for you to enter! The giveaway ends on Halloween, so hurry over! :)

ATasteOfMadness — March 6, 2012 @ 10:15 am

Wow. There are so many different combinations of flavors here, it’s making me want to try them right now! Looks delicious!