I realize that sharing these crackers after sharing red velvet cookies is like getting dumped after an exceptional first date. I may as well talk to you about cardboard.

But I share all of my adventures in the kitchen with you, so I couldn’t let this one go by the wayside. Especially since these were extremely tasty and it was my first cracker-making venture.

And while they may look like cardboard, they (surprisingly!) tasted hearty and crunchy and cheesy.

I’m not a huge cracker fan. Occasionally I crave the “crunch” of certain snacks, but I’d usually much rather swim in a big pool of chocolate and peanut butter.

Mr. How Sweet on the other hand is a huge crunchy snack lover. Most nights after dinner, after he tells me he is stuffed to the gills and can’t even imagine eating dessert, I find him munching on 10 pretzel sticks.

He.is.strange.
Needless to say, these crackers were a big hit in our house. Bonus points for them being 100% whole wheat – especially since that means I topped them with giant chunks of gouda cheese and a big slather of pumpkin butter.

Easy Cheesy Whole Wheat Crackers

1 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup olive oil

1/2 cup warm water + 1-2 tablespoons

1/4 cup parmesan cheese + more for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 400.

Mix dry ingredients together, add parmesan cheese, then add oil and 1/2 cup water. Mix until a dough forms. Add additional water if needed. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and lightly flour. Roll dough out until very thin. Using a pizza cutter, draw lines cutting squares in the dough. They crackers will separate as they bake. Sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.

Ever tried your hand at homemade crackers? Now that I got these easy ones out of the way, I need a more complicated recipe.

101 Responses to “Easy Cheesy Whole Wheat Crackers.”

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — October 13, 2010 @ 4:01 am

I have done homemade crackers before – I need to have nother go at them though – the first time mine were a little too crunchy for my liking!

• Laura @ GotChocolate — October 13th, 2010 @ 7:48 pm

I wonder if you put them in a small paper sack if they would have softened up? I put all my homemade cookies in paper sacks after they have cooled and they are VERY SOFT!!!

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — October 13, 2010 @ 4:02 am

Homemade crackers? Yes please! Um we’d like ours with extra gouda and pumpkin butter please…delicious!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — October 13, 2010 @ 4:09 am

Tony is the same way with pretzels. It is so sad he can’t have them any more since he can’t have wheat. The worst part is that they do make gluten free pretzels, but he is actually a pretzel snob and really LOVES a certain brand. These crackers look great Jessica!

amanda — October 13, 2010 @ 4:15 am

I never would even think of making my own homemade crackers!! But recently I didn’t even know that making some stuff homemade was so easy (like almond butter!) I would take these homemade crackers and dip them in hummus or salsa. Yum!

Liz @ LBBakes — October 13, 2010 @ 4:21 am

I love this! I’ve been wanting to make crackers for awhile now. You’ve inspired me once again. ;)

Tabitha (From Single to Married) — October 13, 2010 @ 4:27 am

I would have never even thought of making my own crackers – what a great idea!

Julie @SavvyEats — October 13, 2010 @ 4:34 am

So apparently this week is “things I want to make from How Sweet Eats” week…

Amber Cullum — October 13, 2010 @ 4:37 am

I know you have tons of followers and you usually only blog about food, but I wanted to award you the Versatile Blogging Award, because I want all of my friends to check out your recipes and USE them.

My mother-in-law has used many of your recipes and WE (our family) have loved them. I let her try them out, since she doesn’t have little ones under foot (minus the occasional grandchild), and WE decide if I’ll try them at home.

Thank you for your fun blog and your WoNDERFUL recipes. You can check out the award details here (http://ambocullum.blogspot.com/2010/10/versatile-blogger.html) or just know I ENJOY reading and salivating over your posts.

• Jessica — October 13th, 2010 @ 4:47 am

Thank you so much Amber! This made my day!

Lina — October 13, 2010 @ 4:39 am

The shapes of the crackers are so uniform ! They look very professional !

• Jessica — October 13th, 2010 @ 4:48 am

Thanks! That is so funny you say that, because when I was using the pizza cutter some of the lines were so crooked! I thought for sure they were going to come out a mess.

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — October 13, 2010 @ 4:46 am

Whoa! I can totally do this…and I will!

Wei-Wei — October 13, 2010 @ 4:46 am

I’d like to redirect you to a recipe that may or may not have you loving crackers: http://userealbutter.com/2010/10/04/parmesan-bacon-crackers-recipe/

Yeah. I bookmarked it before reading it.

• Jessica — October 13th, 2010 @ 4:52 am

Major drool. Thanks for the link!

Kim in MD — October 13, 2010 @ 4:51 am

I’m with you about crackers (I don’t really like them much), but these look amazing! My husband is the same way after dinner…he says he is stuffed, and then he will eat an entire bag of pistachios! Go figure! :-)

Cara — October 13, 2010 @ 4:51 am

Oh my goodness, they look perfect!
    Looks like they just came out of an expensive gourmet box!
    Well done!

Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl — October 13, 2010 @ 4:52 am

I’d never even THOUGHT of making crackers myself…until today! :)

Lauren at KeepItSweet — October 13, 2010 @ 4:53 am

yum! i wonder how these would turn out with regular whole wheat flour

the blissful baker — October 13, 2010 @ 4:54 am

these crackers look great! i used a similar recipe to make crackers recently from joy the baker, it was yummy!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — October 13, 2010 @ 4:56 am

I highly doubt these taste like cardboard ;)

Can’t wait to try `em :)

Erica — October 13, 2010 @ 4:58 am

No way! These look great- not boring at all. I haven’t tried my hand at crackers yet. I’m really intimidated for some reason. I have this fear they’re either going to be way too fat and not bake through or they’re going to burn. I’m such a baby :)

Katrina — October 13, 2010 @ 4:59 am

I’ve never made crackers before! These aren’t dull, I like their style, haha.

Lauren — October 13, 2010 @ 5:04 am

I’m typically a sweet snacker, but lately I’ve been reaching for crackers & cheese and other savory foods. I love the idea of homemade crackers, and these are going on my “to make” list!

Bree@ beeskneeslife — October 13, 2010 @ 5:27 am

I got on a homemade cracker kick this past summer. Need to make them again! Only problem is they go so fast because my husband and I really like them. I will have to try this recipe, too!

Liz @ Blog is the New Black — October 13, 2010 @ 5:38 am

I’ve never tried homemade crackers but you make it look easy! ;)

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete — October 13, 2010 @ 5:44 am

I don’t make my own crackers, but now I’m thinking that should. I didn’t realize they were so easy!

Joslyn @ missfitbliss — October 13, 2010 @ 5:47 am

I like that these call for olive oil and not butter. I’m wondering how easy it would be to make them out of spelt or other flours that are more protein rich…

Jane B — October 13, 2010 @ 5:49 am

I’ve tried to make crackers from scratch before…and failed…but these look great!

Mellissa — October 13, 2010 @ 5:52 am

Making crackers intimidates me but these do not look too hard!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — October 13, 2010 @ 5:55 am

Yum! They look like homemade (and actually healthy) wheat thins!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — October 13, 2010 @ 5:58 am

I’ve never really thought about making my own crackers. I love the look of yours though. I would never have known it was your first time from the looks of it.

Amalia — October 13, 2010 @ 6:16 am

I think crackers would be great for a dinner party! is somethign simple and impressive. Thanks!!

-Amalia

Jenna — October 13, 2010 @ 6:21 am

I’ve never even thought of making homeade crackers, but these look delicious and easy enough. Thanks for the recipe!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — October 13, 2010 @ 6:31 am

Now THIS is my kind of snack. I’m always a salty over sweet kind of girl.

Katie — October 13, 2010 @ 6:32 am

I’ve ALWAYS wanted to make my own crackers – thanks for the easy cheesy recipe!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete — October 13, 2010 @ 6:43 am

These look really good Jessica — I’ve always wanted to make my own crackers. And I bet they taste so good with the parm sprinkled on top!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — October 13, 2010 @ 6:52 am

I love crackers! Especially as a vehicle for delicious cheese or hummus. I haven’t tried making my own, but now I’ve got the homemade cracker itch!

Erica — October 13, 2010 @ 6:53 am

I have never seen a recipe for homemade whole wheat crackers! This sound amazing especially with that parmesan cheese sprinkled on top of them. Love anything with cheese on it!

Jessica@tastyandtrim — October 13, 2010 @ 6:57 am

Those look addicting. Small munchies are dangerous around me! I have never tried making my own crackers, but it doesn’t look too hard. I’ll have to try it out!

Chrissy — October 13, 2010 @ 7:06 am

That’s awesome. I have never even thought about homemade crackers. Maybe I will have to try these since I can’t find my beloved cheddar Triscuits anymore…

Camille — October 13, 2010 @ 7:11 am

Thanks for the easy recipe!
    I have been wanting to try and make crackers for a while but haven’t gotten around to it. These seem easy enough…

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather — October 13, 2010 @ 7:23 am

Its been quite some time since I attempted crackers but your recipe looks uber simple. I like simple!

Tracy — October 13, 2010 @ 7:24 am

I’ve never tried homemade crackers before! These sound lovely…especially with some of that gouda. :-)

Kat @ Living Like the Kings — October 13, 2010 @ 7:37 am

that is awesome. I have no idea why but I didn’t think you could make crackers at home…lol

• Jessica — October 13th, 2010 @ 7:42 am

No – I totally agree! I know they could be made at home, but until this past weekend I had no idea how easy they were!

Chicago Cuisine Critique — October 13, 2010 @ 7:49 am

These look delicious. I know these wouldn’t last long in my house. Not a chance..

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — October 13, 2010 @ 8:00 am

I have never made my own crackers and these sound so good. Between you and (Kath’s) Matt making them a while back, I may have to give it a try… I am scared! My husband really likes wheat thins and these kinda remind me of those… Destiny? ;P

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday — October 13, 2010 @ 8:10 am

I love how easy crackers can be to make. I usually make yeasted ones (rather than the chemically leavened ones like these) but this seems like an even easier alternative.

• Jessica — October 13th, 2010 @ 8:19 am

Oooh I’d like to try yeasted ones! Do you have a recipe?

• Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday — October 13th, 2010 @ 3:51 pm

There are a few good ones in Peter Reinhart’s Whole Grain Breads book that I like

• Jessica — October 13th, 2010 @ 4:07 pm

Thanks!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers — October 13, 2010 @ 8:31 am

I always mean to bake crackers because I constantly want to munch on them, but I always forget to do it!

Caitlin — October 13, 2010 @ 8:35 am

You’ve done it again. I don’t think I KNEW you could make crackers. What a kitchen loser..

Also, OBSESSED with Gouda right now. I’ve been pairing it with grapes for a snack. Amazing.

Shannon — October 13, 2010 @ 8:39 am

Wow! Those look really really good!

• Jessica — October 13th, 2010 @ 8:48 am

I tried to comment on your blog but I can’t – just wanted to let you know those pizza rolls look amazing! I need to make them this weekend. The Mr. will love them.

Cynthia — October 13, 2010 @ 9:07 am

Those look so good . . . and so easy. Your recipes always leave me so hungry. I want to try every thing you make, but there just isn’t enough time in the day. :)

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) — October 13, 2010 @ 9:18 am

wow…those look so beautiful and professional!

Emily (The Culinary Couple) — October 13, 2010 @ 9:23 am

I’ve never baked crackers, but you make it look so easy. And Gouda and pumpkin butter? You got me!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Easy Whole Wheat Crackers | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Baking Extravaganza « The Runner's Plate