Growing up, we always lived in larger neighborhoods with lots of houses. That equaled lots of trick or treating and lots of candy. In the early years, my dad would take us trick or treating while my mom stayed home and passed out sweets. For years, my dad wore the same costume – he cut out the bottom of a pumpkin, cut out a jack o’ lantern, and wore the giant pumpkin on his head! We thought it was the coolest thing.

Who am I kidding? I still think it was the coolest thing.

After we walked to approximately 3 houses and cried and complained that we were tired from walking, we made it home and hustled over to Mother Lovett’s house to show off our costumes. I tried to steal all of my brothers’ Snickers bars and I happily gave up my Butterfingers. And we fought like hell over the Reeses.

I wore this glittery pink wig more years than I can count. My dad just reminded me that when I first wore it, I went as Jem. Please tell me you know who Jem is.

[the How Sweet brothers were Davy Crockett (I think?) and a fireman.]

And really, nothing has changed. I love hot pink and I love sparkly things, and would be thrilled if I could get away with wearing this on my head everyday.

Same goes for the blue spandex unitard too.

33 Responses to “Ghosts of Halloween’s Past.”

Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher — October 30, 2010 @ 5:36 pm

love this post! your dad sounds like a riot. and i still want pink or purple hair. some dreams never die!

sound i be ashamed? the only “jem” i know is the one from “to kill a mockingbird” and i’m almost certain that a pink wig has no relevance to him.

Meaghen — October 30, 2010 @ 5:39 pm

That’s so cute that your dad would wear a pumpkin on his head.

I’ve heard of Jem, but that is all. I love the pink wig though. Reese’s are totally my favourite candy!!!

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) — October 30, 2010 @ 5:39 pm

I loved Jem! So cool! I have the song in my head now.

Sonja — October 30, 2010 @ 5:50 pm

Jem and the Holograms! Those were the days….when Aquanet and acid wash ruled the world!!!

Cynthia (It All Changes) — October 30, 2010 @ 5:55 pm

Jem was a ROCKSTAR!!! Oh my childhood :-)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — October 30, 2010 @ 6:24 pm

Um, picture of your dad’s costume please? That would have made my night!! :)

• Jessica — October 30th, 2010 @ 6:35 pm

I’ve looked EVERYWHERE! I know we have them somewhere and I can’t find them. It is driving me crazy.

Kocinera — October 30, 2010 @ 6:36 pm

How cute! I looove your sparkly wig–have a purple one myself! :D

Your dad’s jack-o-lantern costume is genius!!

mags — October 30, 2010 @ 7:14 pm

From the angle of the last photo, I’m certain you’re doing the perfect splits…. like Olympics material.

I’m not proud of this, but I not only stole Snickers bars from my brothers and sisters Halloween bags, I also stole them from my own children. This might possibly be the reason my son did not want me to go trick or treating with my grandson.

I can be rehabilitated. (I think)

• Jessica — October 31st, 2010 @ 7:11 am

There is no hope for me.

Jamie @ Food in Real Life — October 30, 2010 @ 7:45 pm

Jem and the Holograms! WOO! Remember her nemesis? Pizazz?

• Jessica — October 31st, 2010 @ 7:11 am

Oh my gosh… had totally forgot!

The Mommy — October 30, 2010 @ 8:01 pm

LOVED Jem!! My mom wouldn’t let us (my sister and I) dress up as her though. The closest I ever got to 80s cartoon costumes was Rainbow Brite – and it was a good one. And a dream come true cause she was my idol.

• Jessica — October 31st, 2010 @ 7:11 am

I loved Rainbow Brite too!

Wei-Wei — October 30, 2010 @ 8:12 pm

Go dressed up as 7-year-old Jessica with the wig! :D

Debbie — October 30, 2010 @ 9:28 pm

My daughter was probably 5 years old but Jem was so cool to her. She had “Jem earrings”. It was as much fun for me as it was for her.

the blissful baker — October 30, 2010 @ 10:00 pm

haha your dad’s costume sounds awesome!

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear — October 31, 2010 @ 1:39 am

HAHAHA, you look very stylish :D

MelissaNibbles — October 31, 2010 @ 3:20 am

I was Jem probably 6 Halloweens in a row. I loved her!

Lauren at KeepItSweet — October 31, 2010 @ 4:34 am

haha great pictures! my sister and i would always trade candy, but luckily we liked mostly different stuff so i could get all of the snickers, reeses,etc.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — October 31, 2010 @ 4:59 am

Ahhhh, yes!!! This costume is *truly outrageous* :-)

Melissa — October 31, 2010 @ 6:06 am

JEM! is truly outrageous truly truly truly outrageous!!! You should totally rock that wig all year long at any time you deem appropriate. Grocery shopping? Yes. Making muffins? Yes. Watching Mr. How Sweet on the treadmill with a glass of wine? Of course.

Annie — October 31, 2010 @ 7:03 am

Truly Outrageous!

It’s possible I have season 1 on DVD (and it is amazing). :)

• Jessica — October 31st, 2010 @ 7:09 am

I am so jealous.

kathy — October 31, 2010 @ 8:15 am

i love old halloween stories. they bring back such great memories. i suppose you could be talking about jem and the holograms. my daughters would watch that show. i love those old shows too. but mine go back further than yours. lol. i would watch the davey crockett show. i wanted his hat so bad for myself. lol.

Lisa @ I'm an Oie — October 31, 2010 @ 12:39 pm

love it!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — October 31, 2010 @ 1:21 pm

Don’t hate me…but I don’t know who Jem is. I’ll probably be Googling her after I finish this comment though, haha. And I totally wish I could still fit into the costumes I wore as a kid. My mom made me an awesome Jasmine costume in PINK instead of blue, and then I also had a mini-Rose-from-Titanic dress with elbow length gloves and a heart of the ocean. I’d totally go as her again if my friends didn’t disown me for being such a freak.

Alexandra — October 31, 2010 @ 2:19 pm

Sounds exactly like my household… me giving up the butterfingers, taking all the snickers. My dad and the neighbor’s dads would always take us trick or treating, and they would pull along a wagon with a cooler filled with beer. Totally classy, but you better believe I’ll be stealing that idea when I’ve got my own little trick or treaters one day!

Lauren — October 31, 2010 @ 4:02 pm

Of COURSE I know who Jem is :) I am a child of the 80s after all! Love the wig.

Barbara Braun — November 1, 2010 @ 3:21 am

Mr. How Sweet……is very sweet with carving pumpkins……..Jem is cute, but not as cute as Jess.

It’s a great and very helpful item of facts. Now i’m satisfied which you embraced this useful facts about. You should keep us up to date in this way. Thank you for spreading.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Ghosts of Halloween’s Past. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com