From Mr. How Sweet and me!

Alternate title of this post: Why I Don’t Do Crafts, Part 2.

We set about our pumpkin carving duties this afternoon. There were multiple times when I thought of just sticking the carving utensil into my eye.

After getting rid of the pumpkin guts, I considered roasting the seeds, but decided I was too lazy. Instead, I ate 2 Snickers bars.

I chose the simplest face stencil and still ended up cutting off an eyeball. Mr. How Sweet had the brilliant idea to put it together with a nail, and it stuck.

We sprinkled the insides of the pumpkin with cinnamon, just like my mom used to do when we were little. And of course, used vanilla votives to make it smell even more delicious.

Mr. How Sweet carved this amazing pumpkin – again, no stencil! Just looked at a picture and carved it out. I don’t even know who he is.

And he, of course, did the How Sweet masterpiece – complete with cupcake.

Now we are passing out candy and just finished a delicious dinner. After seeking counsel on Facebook and Twitter, I threw together some sort of beef goulash/stew/stoup with sweet potatoes and biscuits. Hit the spot!

Ugly meal, but deliciously comforting.

Now it’s time for Boardwalk Empire, STEELERS(!) and 600 Kit Kats.

Have a safe and happy Halloween!

29 Responses to “Happy Halloween!”

Dinner at Christina's — October 31, 2010 @ 4:35 pm

Awww I love the blog pumpkin, what a good idea! I ended up slicing off part of mine too. I gave it “surgery” with a bunch of toothpicks to hold it together. Of course the BF showed me up and his pumpkin is like 1000x better! I’ve never seen/heard of the trick to sprinkle the inside so it smells good! I’ll have to steal that one next year. Love the beef goulash! I was a bad food blogger and didn’t even think about dinner today. I read somewhere once that tonight is the most popular for pizza delivery – even above the Super Bowl!

Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher — October 31, 2010 @ 4:36 pm

i have you beat!
    605 Kit kats :)

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — October 31, 2010 @ 4:36 pm

Those are adorable! I just asked my husband why he didn’t make me a blog named pumpkin and I just got a death look. haha

Liz @ LBBakes — October 31, 2010 @ 4:41 pm

Such cute pumpkins! Good choice on the snickers > pumpkin seeds. ;)

Katrina — October 31, 2010 @ 5:04 pm

Awesome pumpkins! A 5-year old most certainly could not do better!!…neither could I.

Liz @ Blog is the New Black — October 31, 2010 @ 5:25 pm

Wow, all these hidden talents!! Mr. HS is good at carving!

Cara Craves... — October 31, 2010 @ 5:40 pm

Your dinner does not look ugly!
    It looks quite comforting and delicious!

Jane B — October 31, 2010 @ 6:19 pm

Amazing job on the carving Mr How Sweet! And that tip of sprinkling in the cinnamon makes perfect sense (or scents, take your pick).
    Your dinner looks warming and hearty, not ugly. Yum!

mags — October 31, 2010 @ 6:26 pm

Your “How Sweet Eats” pumpkin is fabulous. I love you guys! Happy Halloween!

Rachel — October 31, 2010 @ 6:36 pm

HAhahahaha I think I had the same stencil book, because I picked a face stencil exactly like yours (because it looked like the easiest!) and also broke off the eyeball and had to stick it back together with a kebab skewer. Whatever, you can’t even tell!

Kocinera — October 31, 2010 @ 6:46 pm

Awesome! I love the pumpkins, and I totally understand why you didn’t roast the seeds. Why bother when you have all that candy all around you?! :D

janetha — October 31, 2010 @ 7:14 pm

Wow, I love the pumpkins. Sad that half of these photos didn’t show up :( Happy Halloween!

Krystina (Organically Me) — October 31, 2010 @ 7:15 pm

Your dinner looks so comforting and I LOVE your pumpkins! They look fab.

Caitlin — October 31, 2010 @ 7:30 pm

Cinnamon inside? Genius! Last year, I didn’t even carve mine before it molded inside. I am a terrible holiday celebrat-er. I also love all three pumpkins. I think you did a good job!

Wei-Wei — October 31, 2010 @ 7:41 pm

Hidden talents much? Mr How Sweet is amazing at carving pumpkins!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — October 31, 2010 @ 7:55 pm

Great pumpkins!!! He is uber talented with the pumpkin carving!!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — October 31, 2010 @ 8:15 pm

YOM…recipe for the soup please and thank you? :)

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — October 31, 2010 @ 8:33 pm

Those are some fun pumpkins! We actually totally forgot to get pumpkins and carving stuff this year…. I’m disappointed, but I’ll get over it :)

G Martin — October 31, 2010 @ 8:40 pm

I love the carved pumpkins. They’re great.

Ravenous Rowie — October 31, 2010 @ 8:55 pm

GREAT pumpkins! We carved ours today too. Happy Halloween!

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com — October 31, 2010 @ 10:12 pm

at first i thought “awee how cute, thats so sweet, a beautifully carved pumpkin with a little…wait…thats not a little person..thats a HANGING MAN!!” hahaha <3 had to share this with my mama. she loved it!! <3

Ashley — October 31, 2010 @ 10:19 pm

LOVE the pumpkins. The googly eyes are awesome. That is so sweet that the huz carved a how sweet eats pumpkin for you!! Love his halloween scene too. Very creative! Thanks for the link love in your pumpkin food post :)

barefootgirl27 — November 1, 2010 @ 3:45 am

HOW is it that I’ve never heard of cinnamon inside of the pumpkin? Clearly I live a sheltered life.

Not that we actually GOT pumpkins to carve this year(who knew that you couldn’t find a pumpkin anywhere in town at 4 pm on Halloween afternoon? )

go figure?

Erica — November 1, 2010 @ 3:49 am

I am so not crafty. I think your pumpkins look awesome! Love the blog pumpkin best (although the other is super impressive). Looks like you two had a very nice halloween- ours was great as well

Amanda — November 1, 2010 @ 5:35 am

Great job! You guys have a natural talent at pumpkin carving!!!

Blessings-
    Amanda

Lauren — November 1, 2010 @ 6:17 am

LOVE the idea of lacing the pumpkin with fragrant cinnamon! Impressive carving, How Mr. Sweet :).

Lauren — November 1, 2010 @ 6:17 am

LOVE the idea of lacing the pumpkin with fragrant cinnamon! Impressive carving, Mr. How Sweet :).

Kaitlin With Honey — November 2, 2010 @ 3:50 pm

Cinnamon + vanilla votives in the pumpkins? Genius. Seriously.

Also, Mr. How Sweet is awesome at carving! Sheesh.

katie — November 3, 2010 @ 2:11 pm

oh hello miss professional pumpkin carver!! these look AWESOME! i love it!