This is the first year that I’ve bought these adorable little pie pumpkins.

Harvest Apple Soup I howsweeteats.com

I think they are so much cuter than those other small decorative pumpkins. I didn’t want to butcher them, but I sacrificed two for this soup.

I realize that there is a whole slew of you out there that is sick of seeing pumpkin. I won’t lie. I’m a little sick of it too. But this soup doesn’t need pumpkin. I simply used the pumpkin shells as a vehicle for the soup. And I didn’t want to waste some of the pumpkin that I scooped out, so it got pureed in the soup.
But the best part of the soup is the apple and the squash. I suspect that some sweet potatoes would be a delicious addition as well.

Harvest Apple Soup I howsweeteats.com

I baked the pumpkin for a few minutes to soften up what was left inside, but not too long so it would still be firm enough to hold the soup.

I wasn’t sure if I would love this dish, but it was fabulous. The apple adds a bit of sweetness and I loved the addition of the sage. Sometimes I am scared of fresh herbs, like sage, because of their resemblance to green veggies. I know. I’m odd. I also threw in some half and half to make the soup more bisque like. And the crunchy, toasted pecans on top? They are perfect.
The only way this would be more perfect is if it had bacon. Why didn’t I think of that sooner?

Harvest Apple Soup I howsweeteats.com

Harvest Apple Soup

adapted from Eating Well

serves about 4

2 apples, chopped (with skins on)

1/2 cup chopped pumpkin (I got about 1 cup from 2 pie pumpkins)

1 cup chopped butternut squash

1 clove garlic, chopped

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 tablespoon chopped sage

4 cups broth (I used chicken)

1/3 cup half and half (or milk/heavy cream)

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika

chopped, toasted pecans for garnish

Preheat oven to 400.

Lay chopped apples, squash and pumpkin on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss with sage. Sprinkle chopped garlic on top. Roast for 20 minutes, toss, and roast for another 15 minutes.

In a blender, add 1-2 cups of squash mix with 1 cup of broth and puree. Transfer to a large pot and continue with remaining squash and broth – this will most likely have to be done in batches depending on your blender size. One the soup is in a dutch oven or pot, stir in smoked paprika, season with salt and pepper, and stir in half and half. Cook for 20-30 minutes on low heat.

Serve in bowls (or pumpkin bowls) and garnish with toasted pecans.

Harvest Apple Soup I howsweeteats.com

So how sick are you of seeing pumpkin? Let it all out. I might take a pumpkin break. After I eat 3 pumpkin cookies for breakfast.

87 Responses to “Harvest Apple Soup.”

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — October 14, 2010 @ 4:10 am

That looks DELICIOUS!

Liz @ LBBakes — October 14, 2010 @ 4:12 am

This is adorable! And tasty, I presume. :)

Tabitha (From Single to Married) — October 14, 2010 @ 4:14 am

Not only does it look yummy, but the presentation is beautiful!

amanda — October 14, 2010 @ 4:16 am

I may have to try this since I bought the pie pumpkins to make pumpkin puree (still haven’t attempted it yet). I was going to make the pumpkin puree but then Libbey released massive quantities of their canned pumpkin (bought like over 10 of the large cans!!) and I got lazy trying to be Martha Stewart to make my own. Ohhh well…but I do like this recipe and the cut pumpkin bowl. :)

Wei-Wei — October 14, 2010 @ 4:18 am

I never thought that apples could be used in a soup! It sounds amazing, though. And SO fall-y, it’s almost like fall overload.

Estela @ Weekly Bite — October 14, 2010 @ 4:20 am

What a beautiful dish! I love adding apples in my squash soup :)

Erica — October 14, 2010 @ 4:26 am

I’m not sick of pumpkin :) Loving all of the different varieties of apple/pumpkin/squash soup. Its fun to see how everyone puts their own spin on it. It also looks very fancy served inside the pumpkin! I bet a few toasted seeds on top would be delicious too

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — October 14, 2010 @ 4:38 am

I love those little pumpkins. They are really cute for presentation, but really they are just cute! The soup looks delicious.

steph@stephsbitebybite — October 14, 2010 @ 4:42 am

I’ve never had pumpkin soup before but this looks so delicious! And A+ for presentation :)

Krystina — October 14, 2010 @ 4:45 am

I love the texture of this. So creamy!

Stephanie — October 14, 2010 @ 4:46 am

Oh my goodness girl, this post is totally magazine worthy! The pictures are lovely and the recipe sounds so fall-inspired delicious!!!

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — October 14, 2010 @ 4:50 am

Adorable! You are so creative.

Lauren at KeepItSweet — October 14, 2010 @ 4:56 am

love the combo of apple and pumpkin but it is adorable in those pumpkins!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — October 14, 2010 @ 4:57 am

I never get tired of pumpkin…don’t stop!

Kylie @ A Hungry Spoon — October 14, 2010 @ 5:34 am

I have to say–I’m impressed with the Martha Stewart presentation of your soup! Served in pumpkin bowls? Seriously impressive :)

The recipe looks delicious, too! We’ve got a few pie pumpkins sitting around, as my in-laws grow a garden-ful. I may have to take the plunge and hollow ‘em out to serve some soup in!

the blissful baker — October 14, 2010 @ 5:34 am

this looks like the perfect fall soup! yummy!

Amanda — October 14, 2010 @ 5:39 am

You are so talented. WHy do you not have like 12 cookbooks girl??? Loving all the recipes you post of late.. (well, always) and want MORE pumpkin! :)

Amalia — October 14, 2010 @ 5:45 am

I just made a squash soup! I love the addition of apples! is so original (at least in my country). Soup is without a doubt my favorite savory dish. Thanks!!

-Amalia

Lauren — October 14, 2010 @ 5:47 am

I’m NOT sick of seeing pumpkin :). I have a bunch of stockpiled pumpkin posts ready to put up on my blog, too… so I hope others aren’t sick of it either!

I love the presentation for the soup!

Katrina — October 14, 2010 @ 5:49 am

Awww cutest soup ever! I love this.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — October 14, 2010 @ 5:55 am

i just cannot stand pumpkin on its own BUT that soup looks delicious esp since you mixed it with apple! you always have the best presentations too!!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — October 14, 2010 @ 5:55 am

Yum! I’m planning on making something very similar this weekend!

Jenna — October 14, 2010 @ 6:05 am

Since I picked two 10 lb. bags of apples this past weekend, a wonderful recipe that includes the use of apples is very much appreciated. Looks delicious. :)

Jaime — October 14, 2010 @ 6:08 am

Those are too cute to eat! Very festive. ;)

Talia @ Texas Gunslinger — October 14, 2010 @ 6:08 am

Oh my gosh, that is the cutest dish EVER! Seriously! Eating pumpkin out of a pumpkin is just FUN! Love it! :)

Tracy — October 14, 2010 @ 6:13 am

Mmm, sounds delicious! I still have pumpkin and butternut squash; what a great way to use them up!

Jamie @ Food in Real Life — October 14, 2010 @ 6:17 am

Beautiful presentation! This would be awesome for thanksgiving dinner! (but too many pumpkins might be sacrificed in the process)

Camille — October 14, 2010 @ 6:19 am

Oh. my. gosh. Genius!
    This looks adorable and freaking delicious!

Jennifer — October 14, 2010 @ 6:23 am

OMG! I must make this soon. Love all your fall recipes! I have one question about this recipe…after you roasted the apple, pumpkin, and squash, you then puree them in batches in a blender?

• Jessica — October 14th, 2010 @ 6:36 am

Yes- with the broth!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete — October 14, 2010 @ 6:27 am

I’m sick of pumpkin, but at the same time I can’t get enough.

I love the idea of using the empty pumpkin for the soup! What a fun way to eat :)

brandi — October 14, 2010 @ 6:29 am

Yeah, bacon would be delicious!

I have 2 little pie pumpkins I found, too, and I don’t want to cut them up! :)

Ashleigh — October 14, 2010 @ 6:46 am

I actually googled beta-carotene poisoning yesterday because I’ve eaten so much squash, carrots, pumpkin, and sweet potato (yam…whatever; they are orange) in the past 72 hours. I made a very similar soup last night, but I am lazy and used cheater ingredients (applesauce, canned pumpkin). Its so GD good. If only the orange hue would translate to my skin. Then I could skip the spray-tan.

• Jessica — October 14th, 2010 @ 7:00 am

I hear ya sister. I am as pale as pale can get.

Maren — October 14, 2010 @ 7:11 am

Seeing all of this pumpkin is just making me crave it everyday! I’ve still got leftover pumpkin chocolate chip cookies from awhile ago…maybe I’ll have those for a second breakfast ;)

Angela — October 14, 2010 @ 7:13 am

This soup looks awesome. I love the idea of adding apple. Apple is one of my favorite fall foods, possibly more than pumpkin. I wasn’t sick of pumpkin until you asked hahaha. And then it occurred to me that I could use some variety.

• Jessica — October 14th, 2010 @ 7:28 am

Apple is by far my favorite autumn food too!

Kim in MD — October 14, 2010 @ 7:26 am

What a great combination of flavors! I LOVE the presentation! :-)

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana — October 14, 2010 @ 7:33 am

Love how thick that soup looks..awesome!

rose — October 14, 2010 @ 7:41 am

lovely photographs! gotta make this for MIL who is not taking solids anymore. such a treat!

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete — October 14, 2010 @ 7:41 am

I’m still not sick of seeing pumpkin. Although I don’t know if it is just me, but I’m seeing it a lot more on the blogs than last year.

This recipe looks great, and I can’t wait to make it at home once I get off my “cleanse.” :)

• Jessica — October 14th, 2010 @ 7:42 am

I read about that yesterday. I can’t wait to hear your results.

rachel — October 14, 2010 @ 7:43 am

beautiful soup, i love the color :)

CookiePie — October 14, 2010 @ 7:44 am

Love love love this — love the soup, LOVE the pumpkin bowls!! Perfect autumn post!!

Jessica@tastyandtrim — October 14, 2010 @ 7:54 am

That soup sounds mouth-watering. I absolutely love the combo of pumpkin and apple. I have been spreading pumpkin butter on apple slices like crazy..well I’ve been spreading pumpkin butter on everything actually, but apple slices is a favorite! I love the presentation in the little pumpkins – It looks cute and delicious :)

Ashley — October 14, 2010 @ 8:02 am

It’s juuuust reaching mid october. There is no excuse for already being sick of pumpkin. :) It’s going to be around for awhile on my end…hehehe

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com — October 14, 2010 @ 8:03 am

Wow, this sounds dynamite! And I’m not even much of a soup person! Your photography has been so outstanding lately!!

• Jessica — October 14th, 2010 @ 8:40 am

Thank you so much!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — October 14, 2010 @ 8:05 am

Your pictures have been out of control recently. Almost as out of control as this soup looks.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — October 14, 2010 @ 8:07 am

What a cute idea to put the soup inside the pumpkin! This looks delicious. I have a weird infatuation with soup – this will definitely be added to my to-try list!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — October 14, 2010 @ 8:17 am

Love the idea of soup in a pumpkin bowl! SO cute. Did you eat the pumpkin, or just eat te soup out of it ? Have been seeing it all over the seasonal magazines lately. I wonder if cooked chunks of pumpkin would be good in here:

…in place of the sweet potato ?

• Jessica — October 14th, 2010 @ 8:40 am

There wasn’t a ton of pumpkin that came out of mine, less than a cup. But I did chop it up and roast it with the apples and squash, so yes I did eat it. Then I also scraped some remnants from the side of the bowls!

Taylor — October 14, 2010 @ 8:39 am

I’ll never get sick of pumpkin! Well, maybe when the spring rolls around I’ll be sick of it…but I love it all through the fall and winter. I love this soup…it looks delicious!

Vicki — October 14, 2010 @ 8:58 am

Haha, it’s not so much that I’m sick of pumpkin, I just don’t get it. I’m from England and pretty much the only thing we use pumpkin here for is carving for halloween! Never even thought to eat it until I started reading food blogs!

Caitlin — October 14, 2010 @ 9:05 am

I was thinking today I would introduce my Mum to your blog. Looks like I’ll be eating pumpkin from pumpkin in the near future..

Melanie — October 14, 2010 @ 9:12 am

What a clever idea to serve the soup in pumpkin halves. And I think you are right – bacon would be fantastic in this!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Harvest Apple Soup. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Souped Up « Eat, Spin, Run, Repeat