Help Me.

I don’t want to hurt this vegetable’s feelings, but I must speak my mind: the thing is ugly.

And I have no idea what to do with it.

And just the thought of cutting it gives me carpal tunnel.

I believe it is of the buttercup variety? So how do I cut it? Do I just roast it?

Please help me.

And while you’re at it, can someone please come over and cut it for me?

37 Responses to “Help Me.”

Evan Thomas — October 14, 2010 @ 1:32 pm

Cut it in half lengthwise. Roast it for 90 minutes at 350 w/ maple syrup. That makes any squash good.

• Emily @ The Happy Home — October 14th, 2010 @ 1:36 pm

i agree. cut in half, scoop out the innards, coat with butter, maple syrup and a hint of cinnamon. roast on 350 until soft. it gets REALLY sweet and nutty!

• RhodeyGirl — October 14th, 2010 @ 4:05 pm

but how do you cut it in half without breaking a knife or cutting a finger?

• Jessica — October 14th, 2010 @ 4:25 pm

My thoughts exactly, Sabrina!

Sarah — October 14, 2010 @ 1:34 pm

It looks kinda like a kabocha squash. I would cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and goop, and roast it cut side down in the oven with olive oil and sea salt. Yummy!

Emily — October 14, 2010 @ 1:37 pm

….or you could just cover it in black glitter, call it a decoration, and forego eating it?? Everything looks better with glitter. ;)
    (roasting it sounds lovely though, sans the glitter. Sea salt, some finely chopped basil, and olive oil, yum. )

kay (eating machine) — October 14, 2010 @ 1:39 pm

poke it with a knife a few time and you can bake the sucker whole. then you can save the cutting for when it’s all soft and less mean.

Erica — October 14, 2010 @ 1:44 pm

hehe- yes- roast it just like an acorn squash. Very similar!

Mr. How Sweet It Is — October 14, 2010 @ 1:46 pm

Hey,

Why don’t you draw some squiggly lines on it and then throw some $5 glitter on said lines? Because that worked so well before.

I am giggling so hard over how funny I am.

• Tracy — October 14th, 2010 @ 3:29 pm

*snicker*

• RhodeyGirl — October 14th, 2010 @ 4:07 pm

Mr. Sweet,

You are awesome.

Best,
        RG

Liz @ LBBakes — October 14, 2010 @ 1:47 pm

Pop it in the microwave for a minute or so, makes it WAY easier to cut into.

• Krystina — October 14th, 2010 @ 2:40 pm

I agree. It alleviates the need for bandages.

Kim in MD — October 14, 2010 @ 1:49 pm

That is one strange squash! I agree with previous commenters that roasting with olive oil, salt and pepper at a high temerature will make any vegetable delicious!

As far as cutting it? I saw someone on tv recently roast the whole squash for about 15 minutes, and then they cut the squash. It was much easier to cut it when it was slightly cooked! Duh…why didn’t I think of that? ;-)

Jessica — October 14, 2010 @ 2:00 pm
    MelissaNibbles — October 14, 2010 @ 2:18 pm

You can pierce it with a knife then zap it in the microwave for a few minutes to soften. Take it out of the microwave, cut off the butt ends, slice in half then roast at 350 for 30-45 minutes. Good luck!

Kristin — October 14, 2010 @ 2:45 pm

Not sure what to do with it. But I have read that a farmer would take his hard squash outside, throw it on the cement, and then rinse the smashed pieces. Way easier than hacking away on it with a knife.

• Jessica — October 14th, 2010 @ 5:20 pm

I like this option best so far.

Emily — October 14, 2010 @ 2:50 pm

Yep just cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, and roast it… or even better, roast it and fill it will something yummy like cheesy orzo then broil each half for a minute to brown the cheese on top. I made this last week and was not sad.

Lindsey — October 14, 2010 @ 2:59 pm

Wow, I wish this was posted yesterday…it would have saved me the terror I felt as I tried to cut into a raw spaghetti squash. It’s like the squash is wearing armor–that “skin” is no joke! I finally was able to slice through it, after fearing twice that I had broken my 10 inch chef’s knife. Hopefully your experience will be more pleasant than mine was, since you have the help of the blogosphere. :)

Amy — October 14, 2010 @ 3:09 pm

Buttercup squash! Those are very popular here in Maine. My grandmother always peeled them, cut them into chunks and boiled them and mashed them like potatoes. Delicious, but I don’t recommend it. Peeling those are time-consuming and a real pain in the butt. I’d do as someone else suggested – cut in half, scoop out the seeds and roast cut side down until soft, scoop out and eat. Sooo good!

Chef Dave — October 14, 2010 @ 3:10 pm

Hi Jessica, i would roast it..cut it in half, put some butter and brown sugar on it and throw it in the oven..As far as cutting it, try an electric knife if you have one..There not easy, good luck :)

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe — October 14, 2010 @ 3:24 pm

Hi! Just stumbled on your blog. And just in time too because I am currently overly obsessed with that ugly guy in the picture. It looks like a kabocha squash to me. Even though it’s not easy, I just cut it down the middle, then slice it into wedges. Spray a baking sheet, lay the wedges on it, sprinke with sea salt and roast at about 450 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

Eat it straight off the pan. And it reheats (in the oven) well too!

Kabocha squashes are like heaven on a plate:)

cute blog, btw!

Tracy — October 14, 2010 @ 3:28 pm

LOL. I have one of those sitting on my table that I don’t know what to do with, too! If you find anyone to come over and cut it up for you, let me know. ;-)

Lauren — October 14, 2010 @ 4:05 pm

bahaha, girl, I just stick in the oven whole at 400 until I can easily stab it. Then I melt coconut butter all over it and call it a night. ;)

Sara — October 14, 2010 @ 4:31 pm

Whatever you do with it, don’t forget to roast the seeds just like pumpkin seeds ;)

Summer — October 14, 2010 @ 4:31 pm

My grandmother is a very handy woman and taught me to cut through a really hard squash with a knife and a hammer. It’s not as brutal as it sounds ;-)….just get your knife started and gently tap it with your hammer. It really makes things much easier. As far as what to do with it, I’d rub a little oil on it and roast the halves in the oven. Puree the squash and make a tea bread…I’ve done this with pumpkin, butternut and acorn and they always turn out really great.

Donire — October 14, 2010 @ 6:09 pm

SO EASY! It’s an acorn squash. Cut it into fourths (do the whole microwave for a few minutes first thing to soften it), then drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast at 400 for about 35 minutes. SO GOOD, even for someone who doesn’t like veggies.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — October 14, 2010 @ 6:35 pm

This is actually super easy to cut through – it’s not too hard! Just roast this baby up!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — October 14, 2010 @ 7:34 pm

Ha! Gourds are kind of hideous, lol. I’m sure once you figure out how to break into it you’ll drag something tasty out of it. :)

Mansee — October 14, 2010 @ 7:55 pm

I would stick it in the middle of the room, change the decor of your house to match and call it decoration.

Have Mr. How Sweet cut it for you. Isn’t that what guys are for anyway? :)

Lauren — October 15, 2010 @ 9:56 am

Oh my gosh, cut this baby up, roast it (skin and all) with EVOO, Maple Syrup, Salt, Pepper and Chili Powder and eat with ketchup!!! You will never want a regular fry again.

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen — October 15, 2010 @ 11:54 am

I haven’t had trouble cutting these types of squash, I find that the skin yields under a nice sharp knife. I like to roast mine with olive oil, salt and pepper, and then blend with liquid to make a nice soup.

Cynthia (It All Changes) — October 15, 2010 @ 7:54 pm

I made a smoothie like pudding with it after I roasted it ;-)

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Help Me. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com