Truth be told, I am a panko freak. Regular breadcrumbs don’t even do it for me anymore. So when I stumbled upon this method for homemade panko, I practically leapt with joy. It may be lacking in the butter and sugar department, but it is essential. I knew I needed to share it with you.

Panko can be quite expensive and the packages are so tiny that I can plow through an entire one while making a single batch of healthy chicken fingers. Now that I can make my own? I’m going to bread everything with panko. Get ready for panko breaded bacon.

This could not be more simple. All you do is cut the bread into strips, attach the “shredder” on your food processor and feed the bread through.

See how the crumbs are bigger?

Lay them on a baking sheet and bake until just crispy – but not brown.

And you have easy, quick whole wheat panko! I had no idea it was so simple.

Homemade Whole Wheat Panko

recipe source

makes about 3-4 cups

8 slices of 100% whole wheat bread

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Cut the bread into strips. Using the shredder attachment on your food processor, feed the bread into the machine. One you are done shredding, lay the crumbs out on a baking sheet. Bake for about 6-8 minutes, shaking and tossing every 2 minutes or so. You don’t want the crumbs to be brown, just crispy.

Last night I used these panko crumbs to make asiago breaded pork chops and we devoured them like we had never seen food before. Are you riding the panko train yet? If not, I really encourage you to try them. I have only had great success and absolutely love the texture they provide!

149 Responses to “Homemade Whole Wheat Panko Breadcrumbs.”

Ami @ beyondpeasandcarrots — October 27, 2010 @ 3:58 am

oh yay! Thanks for sharing! I love panko but hate all the additives that are in most of the store bought ones… this is the perfect solution!!

Erika @ Food.Fitness.Fun — October 27, 2010 @ 4:14 am

My Mom has become quite the panko freak as well – she doesn’t even use regular breadcrumbs anymore! I’m sure she will appreciate this considering a little box of panko is $12! :-P

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — October 27, 2010 @ 4:27 am

I looooove panko breadcrumbs! These look great! And how easy?!?

Estela @ Weekly Bite — October 27, 2010 @ 4:35 am

Can you believe I’ve never even used the shredder attachment for my food processor before?

Tabitha (From Single to Married) — October 27, 2010 @ 4:36 am

What a fantastic recipe – sure beats the store bought breadcrumbs I buy!

Liz @ Blog is the New Black — October 27, 2010 @ 4:47 am

Love love love panko- so happy to see there’s a DIY version! Thanks, girl.

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — October 27, 2010 @ 4:49 am

I’ve never had panko…where have I been??

Heather — October 27, 2010 @ 4:53 am

i LOVE panko! awesome to know it’s so easy…i have 2 loaves of bread i’ll be making these with!

Wei-Wei — October 27, 2010 @ 4:59 am

Oh my mother uses panko crumbs and has been ever since I can remember! She hasn’t brought it out lately, though. I might make some and bake something with it, yay!

Erica — October 27, 2010 @ 5:04 am

panko is ridiculously expensive for a tiny box…but its so wonderful! I had no idea it’d be so easy to make at home. I’ve got to try this

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — October 27, 2010 @ 5:08 am

I’m definitely riding the panko train too! I wasn’t sure though if the ones I was using were whole wheat – but thanks to you I’ll just make my own now! I’ve also been riding the Triscuit train lately… in crushed up form, they make an amazing crust!!

RhodeyGirl — October 27, 2010 @ 5:11 am

Your photos are looking INCREDIBLE! I love both the lighting and the composition.

• Jessica — October 27th, 2010 @ 6:12 am

Thank you so much!

Kristy — October 27, 2010 @ 5:12 am

Ekkkk – I’ve made your Asiago chops before and they are delish (and man approved) :-)

Lauren — October 27, 2010 @ 5:14 am

I’m a big fan of panko and I love making my own breadcrumbs… but (go figure) I’ve never made homemade panko breadcrumbs. Great idea to toast the freshly processed bread crumbs in order to achieve that great crunchy panko texture!

Cara — October 27, 2010 @ 5:24 am

Genius!

Kim in MD — October 27, 2010 @ 5:24 am

OMG- thanks for sharing this Jessica! I go through panko breadcrumbs like water, too! You are amazing! :-)

the blissful baker — October 27, 2010 @ 5:26 am

panko breadcrumbs are my favorite! thanks for this easy recipe!

Chrissy — October 27, 2010 @ 5:26 am

How cool is it that you posted this today. I am making my mom a birthday dinner today, and topping macaroni and cheese with panko bread crumbs. I pulled out the canister and said to her, “Look! Panko bread crumbs!” and she said, “What are panko bread crumbs?” and I died a little inside.

• Chrissy — October 27th, 2010 @ 5:28 am

Odd… after re-reading the post and all the replies, I must either be really lucky or have crappy panko… because an oat-like canister of panko crumbs at my grocery store is about $5.

• Jessica — October 27th, 2010 @ 6:11 am

That is really expensive for how much panko I go through!

Amalia — October 27, 2010 @ 5:28 am

what?! that’s IT?! That was incredibly easy!
    But I don’t have a shredder in my food processor ):
    Thanks anyway for showing us!

-Amalia

Matt — October 27, 2010 @ 5:55 am

I actually just got two free loaves of bread in the mail, so I know what I am making ;)

Natalie — October 27, 2010 @ 6:09 am

Amalia,

I don’t have a shredder on mine either but I find that toasting and then pusling the torn up pieces of toast in the food processor gets close to the same result… just have to do smaller batches… :)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete — October 27, 2010 @ 6:11 am

Any suggestions on how to make this without a shredder/food processor?

Leah @ Why Deprive? — October 27, 2010 @ 6:11 am

I’ve never tried panko, and I keep forgetting to pick some up. I had no idea making my own would be so easy!

Joslyn @ missfitbliss — October 27, 2010 @ 6:17 am

Wow I had no idea that it would be that easy!

Susan — October 27, 2010 @ 6:21 am

Holy moly. I love panko. I pay like three bucks for those little packages. My wallet loves you right now.

Jennifer — October 27, 2010 @ 6:26 am

I had no idea panko breadcrumbs were so easy! Kudos to you!

Meaghen — October 27, 2010 @ 6:47 am

I love when you stumble upon something that you thought you would never be able to make and then it turns out it’s like the easiest thing in the world pretty much. Making my own nut butter was like that and now so are these panko crumbs! I can’t wait to start panko-ing it up! Thanks!

Stephanie @ Per l'Amore del Cibo — October 27, 2010 @ 7:10 am

How seriously easy is this?! Nuts! Do they resemble the real thing pretty well?

• Jessica — October 27th, 2010 @ 7:30 am

Yes! I’d say they are 99% like the ones I buy. The only difference I found was that I left the crust on so there were some crust parts in the crumbs. I didn’t mind, but I have never had any parts like that in the store bought ones.

Jess — October 27, 2010 @ 7:24 am

You’re right, homemade breadcrumbs are such a smart idea for your wallet and waistline.

Kelly — October 27, 2010 @ 8:11 am

I always prefer panko to regular bread crumbs. Glad you weighed in about how well they resemble the real thing. I was curious about that as well.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — October 27, 2010 @ 8:24 am

That’s so cool! I have an unnatural love for using the shredding and grating attachment on my food processor! Any recipe that requires I use it just makes me happy.

Steph@stephsbitebybite — October 27, 2010 @ 8:50 am

I can’t eait to see all the new panko breaded goodies that come out of your kitchen!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — October 27, 2010 @ 9:19 am

This is such a creative idea for homemade crumbs, Jessica – With all the panko crumbs I go through, this will definitely come in handy. Thanks for sharing!

Lauren at KeepItSweet — October 27, 2010 @ 9:40 am

i never would have thought to make panko crumbs from scratch! thanks:-)

Jessica@tastyandtrim — October 27, 2010 @ 9:40 am

Asiago breaded pork chops sound SO good. I need to start making my own panko breadcrumbs – it looks easy enough for even me to handle! I definitely prefer panko breadcrumbs over regular ones!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — October 27, 2010 @ 9:51 am

I always make my own breadcrumbs, but I’ve never baked them and I think this is what I’m lacking! Thanks for the tip!

Kat — October 27, 2010 @ 9:59 am

This sure beats paying $5 for a small container at Stop & Shop

Maren — October 27, 2010 @ 10:09 am

that’s the easiest, cheapest, best recipe EVER. :)

Amanda — October 27, 2010 @ 10:14 am

What a great idea! Can’t wait to try this! :)

barefootgirl27 — October 27, 2010 @ 10:33 am

YOU are amazing!!!! I must try this!!!

Blond Duck — October 27, 2010 @ 10:36 am

It’s amazing how paying attention to the little details can really make a dish!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — October 27, 2010 @ 10:38 am

Seems so eaaaaaasy :) Will def have to try that out. Wonder how long it’ll stay fresh..?

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — October 27, 2010 @ 11:31 am

I thought panko was some fancy thing…I didn’t know it was just ground up bread!! that seems fool proof…knowing me I will proably burn the bread though! lol

Kacy — October 27, 2010 @ 12:08 pm

Panko crumbs are definitely the best!

Megan (Braise The Roof) — October 27, 2010 @ 12:30 pm

You know what else would work for homemade panko? Rice Krispies, crushed. And then you can use the rest for Rice Krispies treats. Don’t hate me. :)

Natalia - a side of simple — October 27, 2010 @ 12:53 pm

A few years ago I was all about panko! Since finding out I’m allergic to gluten, I’ve substituted oats a lot in place of panko/breadcrumbs. You should try it, I love the unique flavor the oats provide!

Yum Yucky — October 27, 2010 @ 12:56 pm

Husband is over here asking me questions about yo crumbs!

Sorcha — October 27, 2010 @ 2:41 pm

This is how I always make breadcrumbs, I always thought it was the only way to make them! What are ‘regular’ breadcrumbs like then?

• Jessica — October 27th, 2010 @ 2:44 pm

Panko breadcrumbs are bigger and flakier, and used for a very crunchy coating. You can read more about them here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panko

I also use my food processor for regular breadcrumbs, but I toast the bread first then grind them all the way so they are literally tiny crumbs.

joudie's Mood Food — October 27, 2010 @ 2:47 pm

This is such a great idea. I love panko bread crumbs. So good!

Emma — October 27, 2010 @ 2:58 pm

I love panko too, what a great idea to make it homemade.

Emma
    TheSidewalkIsMyRunway

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Homemade Panko Breadcrumbs | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Superbowl Eats | The Lean Green Bean

3. Pingback: Crispy Parmesan Asparagus Sticks | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: I LOVE ASPARAGUS (even if it makes “things” smell weird) « Sharon's Shenanigans

5. Pingback: Buttermilk Soaked Parmesan Baked Pork Chops | How Sweet It Is

6. Pingback: Healthy, Crunchy Asiago Chicken Nugget Recipe | How Sweet It Is

7. Pingback: Coconut Baked Shrimp with Pineapple Peach Salsa | How Sweet It Is

8. Pingback: Feelin’ Like a little kid again « feelinlightonmyfeet

9. Pingback: Crispy Parmesan Asparagus Sticks « intothewebb

10. Pingback: Quest for the Best Side: Crispy Parmesan Asparagus Sticks « allbetternow

11. Pingback: Tuesday Things. | How Sweet It Is

12. Pingback: Crispy Parmesan Asparagus Sticks. « attempting2cook

13. Pingback: Crispy Parmesan Asparagus Sticks | Us Girls..Our Views

14. Pingback: Crispy Parmesan Asparagus | Lynes In Love

15. Pingback: On The Menu | beccamahoneytochman

16. Pingback: Kyllinge-nuggets med ravioli-/majssalat……..

17. Pingback: Oven Fried Green Tomato Caprese Stacks | How Sweet It Is

18. Pingback: Oven Fried Green Tomato Caprese Stacks. | Lifestyle Pins

19. Pingback: Gingersnap Crusted Salmon | How Sweet It Is

20. Pingback: Crispy Acorn Squash Rounds | How Sweet It Is

21. Pingback: Broiled Asiago Heirloom Tomatoes | How Sweet It Is

22. Pingback: Crispy Parmesan Asparagus « sower sewer so her

23. Pingback: Thanksgiving things | Amanda's New Life

24. Pingback: double bean burger patty melts | HoneyMash.com

25. Pingback: Weekending 01.07.2013 | Amanda's New Life

26. Pingback: Still More Cheap Tricks - Real Cheap Food

27. Pingback: Jalapeño Cheddar Chicken Meatball Sandwiches. | Food & Recipes

28. Pingback: Seared Salmon with Dijon Cream Recipe | Doomestic ProductionsDoomestic Productions

29. Pingback: Homemade Whole Grain Panko | Food, Nutrition & Fitness Done Right

30. Pingback: Breaded Mustard Pork Chops | What's Cooking In My Kitchen

31. Pingback: Baked Coconut Shrimp with Pineapple Peach Sauce | Oh, Hey, Jamie Bakes

32. Pingback: Crispy BBQ Chicken Fingers & Jade Green Vegetables | A Social Worker's Personal Culinary Therapy...

33. Pingback: Monday Munchies: Lemon Chicken Romano | Captivated by Cooking

34. Pingback: Honey Roasted Vegetable + Smoked Gouda Baked Penne. | pinmeplease

35. Pingback: White Cheddar + Arugula Pesto Mac and Cheese | How Sweet It Is

36. Pingback: Left-Handedness (Recipe: Honey Roasted Vegetable and Smoked Gouda Baked Penne) | Oven Lovin' Runnin'

37. Pingback: Crunchy Oven-Fried Cheese Ravioli | How Sweet It Is

38. Pingback: {recipe : fontina & spinach baked eggs with garlic brown butter breadcrumbs} « This is Glamorous This is Glamorous

39. Pingback: Pan-Crisped Salmon with Light Dijon Cream and Garlic Butter Breadcrumbs » Boston Maternity Photographer, Newborn Photographer, Children's Photographer, Family Photographer, Massachusetts

40. Pingback: 4 healthy Easter side dishes your guests will devour! | FOODgirl UK - Jennifer Parker

41. Pingback: 4 healthy Easter side dishes your guests will devour! | Food Girl UK

42. Pingback: Crispy zucchini grilled cheese w. dijon horseradish aioli. | Eden Market Catering & Personal Chef Co.

43. Pingback: Honey Roasted Vegetable + Smoked Gouda Baked Penne | Best Home Cook Recipes

44. Pingback: Crunchy Coconut Chicken Fingers with Peach Honey Mustard | Favorites Recipes

45. Pingback: Pan-Crisped Salmon with Light Dijon Cream and Garlic Butter Breadcrumbs | Recipes CookBook