Mashed potatoes on a pizza? You don’t say!

Pierogi Pizza I

Pierogies are a pretty big deal here in Pittsburgh. We even have pierogi races at PNC Park. I love pierogies. But if I am being truthful, most of the ones I have eaten since my youth have been of the Mrs. T variety. No one in my family made them from scratch. I have definitely had them from scratch before, at church festivals and what not – they are scrumptious.
There is a local restaurant that serves a pierogi pizza and I tasted it a few months ago. It was perfect – crispy crust, creamy potatoes, sweet onions – all topped off with a beautiful layer of cheese. However, it’s not for the faint of heart.

Pierogi Pizza I

Only read further is you’re prepared to enter carb heaven immediately after eating this.
First, it is simple. Not as simple as your regular pizza, because you must also make the mashed potatoes and caramelize the onions, but that can all be done ahead of time.

Second, I think it’s important to bake the crust a bit first since the topping is so heavy. I did that (I normally don’t) and it worked out great.

Third, I ate 3 pieces before coming up for air. That should tell you everything.

Pierogi Pizza I
Pierogi Pizza

1 batch pizza dough (any pizza dough will do!)

2 lbs potatoes, mostly peeled and chopped

1/4 cup butter + 1 tablespoon

1/2 cup milk

2 medium onions, sliced

2 cups grated cheddar cheese (or any cheese will do!)

Prepare your pizza dough and let rise. Once ready, press it into a pizza pan.

Preheat oven to 375. While oven is heating, boil potatoes – I usually boil mine for about 30 minutes, depending on the size, or until fork tender.  In a saucepan over medium head, add 1 tablespoon butter and sliced onions. Let caramelized, then set aside. Drain potatoes and set back in pot. Once oven is heated, add pizza dough and bake for 10-15 minutes.

Add 1/4 cup butter and milk to potatoes and mash. Season well with salt and pepper. If you have a wonderful mashed potato recipe, now is the time to use it. Make sure potatoes are creamy and smooth. Fold in 1/2 cup shredded cheese.

Remove pizza crust from over and begin spreading with potato mixture. I used a frosting spatula to spread evenly. Sprinkle with caramelized onions and remaining cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
Pierogi Pizza I

Are you up for the challenge? Food coma, here I come.

104 Responses to “Pierogi Pizza.”

VeggieGirl — October 23, 2010 @ 6:03 am

Now THAT is a pizza. Wowza.

Marisa @Loser for Life — October 23, 2010 @ 6:04 am

Oh yum! Bring on the food coma! :)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — October 23, 2010 @ 6:05 am

Holy crap that looks good. Can you ever have too many carbs? Absolutely not. My mom’s family is Eastern European and loves pierogies, but I’ll admit I’ve never loved them!

Mandi — October 23, 2010 @ 6:09 am

I have never had a perogi before! How sad is that? This looks scrumptious! This may be on the list to try very soon =) I think the hubs would love it.

Ami @ beyondpeasandcarrots — October 23, 2010 @ 6:11 am

can you believe perogi pizza is the last thing I ate before giving birth to my son?? Lol not exactly the light meal most people advise you eat but it sure was tasty!!

Salah@myhealthiestlifestyle — October 23, 2010 @ 6:12 am

Oh yum!I have never had a perogi before! I think Iwould love it.

Stephanie — October 23, 2010 @ 6:13 am

Me reading this: “Oh my GOD, pierogi pizza?!?!” over and over again haha. Coming from a Polish background pierogi were a very important part of our holiday meals (and others too!) and my Nanny made them by scratch every year – oh they were sooooo goood! I took a stab at it last year since she is no longer with us and boy they are some hard work! I have got to try this pizza though, you never cease to amaze me with your fabulous recipes :)

Talia @ Texas Gunslinger — October 23, 2010 @ 6:13 am

You had me at “mashed potatoes” hehe

I’d never even heard of a perogi until I moved to Pittsburgh, but I have tried one and liked it…even though it was in the frozen section of Giant Eagle HA!

Look at ‘yinz’ makin’ Pittsburgh proud! BAHAHA! ;)

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — October 23, 2010 @ 6:21 am

HOLY MOLY!!!!! now I don’t really like mashed potatoes by themselves, but put themon some pizza dough…I think I could hang with taht recipeeee!!

Andrea — October 23, 2010 @ 6:23 am

Is it crazy I have never seen this? That looks awesome!

Wei-Wei — October 23, 2010 @ 6:25 am

Oh, my goodness. I don’t like potatoes but this makes them look sooooooooooo good.

Natalie — October 23, 2010 @ 6:39 am

ahhhhhh i love you for posting this… i think i’ve had perogie pizza from every place that offers in in the pittsburgh area and now i can make it at home!!! :)…

and i know the partial shame of growing up with the mrs. t version of perogies… my boyfriend’s family is ukranian and make homemade batches once every other month and i am now enrolled in perogie bootcamp… i will have to document it next time… totally worth the effort!

• Jessica — October 23rd, 2010 @ 7:13 am

Please document and share! I’d love to learn.

• KCNC — May 22nd, 2011 @ 5:12 pm

My father (first-generation American, born 1913) from Ukraine immigrant parents grew up eating perogies. His family taught my mother to make them when they were married. Subsequently, my mother has passed it down to 5 children. I know I will be passing it my children who are 18 and 12. It is a little time consuming but so worth it when you can make them.

Amalia — October 23, 2010 @ 6:41 am

This sounds so creamy and scrumptious! I have never heard about somethign like it! I’m in love!

Oh and I love how you post every single day! Thanks :)

• Jessica — October 23rd, 2010 @ 7:13 am

Thank you so much! I am glad you appreciate it. :) This made my day.

Matt — October 23, 2010 @ 6:48 am

Carbs on carbs! Love it :)

Pretend Chef — October 23, 2010 @ 7:05 am

What no bacon?!? Haha! This pizza almost reminds me of a loaded baked potato. Sounds delicious!

Jane B — October 23, 2010 @ 7:14 am

I think my pancreas just went on strike…this sounds like absolute carb heaven.

Susan — October 23, 2010 @ 7:15 am

Haha this is SO Pittsburgh. I actually think they have a pierogi pizza on the menu at Church Brew Works in Lawrenceville.

And honestly, the pierogi races are pretty much the best reason to go to the baseball games!

• Jessica — October 23rd, 2010 @ 8:46 am

Oh it SO is. I really didn’t want to put that out there though…hahaha.

Chicago Cuisine Critique — October 23, 2010 @ 7:18 am

I love perogi’s and pizza! Great combo. :)

Liz @ Blog is the New Black — October 23, 2010 @ 7:22 am

You’ve outdone yourself again!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — October 23, 2010 @ 7:29 am

Kelly — October 23, 2010 @ 7:42 am

I didn’t even know what a periogi was until I googled it…this looks wonderful! :)

Jennifer — October 23, 2010 @ 7:43 am

I just have to say that sometime soon I will have to try this recipe. I love perogies!! My family is Ukranian heritage and we call them something different (it starts with a “P” as well, but I can’t figure out how to spell it) and it’s one of our family traditions at Christmas time to make perogies from scratch to serve at Christmas dinner. My aunt, mom, and I always get together and make a bunch of cheesy potato filled ones and also a batch of saurkraut ones as well and divide them among our families. It is my favorite dish~none of my friends ever knew what I was talking about when I said what we were going to have to eat since they hadn’t heard of it, but once my friends tried them, they loved them as well. :D Thanks for posting this recipe!

Meaghen — October 23, 2010 @ 7:55 am

I’ve had pierogi pizza one at a Boston Pizza. I was soo good. With just the right amount of spice. Yours looks great too!

Erica — October 23, 2010 @ 7:58 am

Since I went to Penn State, I became friends with my fair share of Pittsburgh kiddos. They brought homemade perogies back to school with them and those things are AMAZING (I had never had one before college). In pizza form? I can only imagine they are totally delicious. Definitely not for the faint of heart, but every once in a while? Yes please

Lauren — October 23, 2010 @ 7:58 am

AH!!!!!!!! I love pierogies! I get SO terribly sad when people from down south have no idea what they are. I’m a Pennsylvania girl myself and there’s simply nothing-and I mean-NOTHING like a pierogie-unless of course-you throw them on a pizza. *swoon*

• Jessica — October 23rd, 2010 @ 8:44 am

Pa!? Are you close to Pittsburgh?

• Lauren — October 23rd, 2010 @ 12:03 pm

Harrisburg-my boyfriend is in Pittsburgh today though! I had to work. BOO!

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) — October 23, 2010 @ 8:12 am

Wow, I need this in my life. The two greatest foods: mashed potatoes and pizza! :D

Jessica@tastyandtrim — October 23, 2010 @ 8:25 am

That looks so amazing – I love pierogis! I can never get enough carbs. Potato tacos are another one of my favorites! I wonder if the pizza would taste good with sweet potatoes!

Danielle — October 23, 2010 @ 8:36 am

This pizza looks amaaazing…I’ll have to make it when I get my kitchen back. :) Are you talking about the pierogi pizza from the Church Brewery? I went to college in Slippery Rock and miss my trips down to the Burgh.

• Jessica — October 23rd, 2010 @ 8:43 am

Nope I have actually never been there. Now I definitely need to make the trip!

Leah @ Why Deprive? — October 23, 2010 @ 8:40 am

Perogi pizza is one of the best things in the world! There’s a restaurant here that makes it. I never get anything else when I’m there.

Eileen — October 23, 2010 @ 8:50 am

Now that is Pittsburgh on a plate!

vanillasugar — October 23, 2010 @ 8:53 am

wow, now this is my kind of pizza. carb heaven indeed.

Erin — October 23, 2010 @ 9:14 am

SCORE!! My husband’s family is Polish so every year around Christmas we have Pierogies – …. this would bring back the spirit of the dish anytime during the year. AHmazing idea!!

Jaedyn — October 23, 2010 @ 9:54 am

One of our favorite restaurants makes a spicy perogi pizza – it is BY FAR my favorite pizza of all time. Different than this recipe though! I’ll have to try yours too!

Tabitha (From Single to Married) — October 23, 2010 @ 10:06 am

Wow, that looks amazing!

Ashley — October 23, 2010 @ 10:46 am

Chrissy — October 23, 2010 @ 10:53 am

I love the crabs of Baltimore, but I sure do miss the perogies of the ‘Burgh. I gotta make this. My boyfriend might propose.

Anne — October 23, 2010 @ 11:54 am

Big fan of your blog and haven’t commented ever, but I had to comment as a fellow Pittsburgher. I LOVE the pierogie races at PNC Park!

Thanks for the recipe!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — October 23, 2010 @ 12:19 pm

perogi’s…omg my polish & russian grandmother made perogi’s all the time…childhood memories i tell you!

i owe you an email reply..but i am off to the mall :)

Moni'sMeals — October 23, 2010 @ 1:51 pm

this works for me~ YUM…
    I could eat the whole thing, easy!

Jess — October 23, 2010 @ 1:51 pm

MMMMM! That sounds SOOOO yummyyyy!

Cynthia (It All Changes) — October 23, 2010 @ 3:25 pm

Pierogis are a favorite of my childhood. You just made my mouth water. So delicious looking!

Natalia - a side of simple — October 23, 2010 @ 4:04 pm

Oh yum. This is just incredible. I need to start preparing my eyes before I visit your blog, your pictures are SO appetizing!

Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher — October 23, 2010 @ 5:31 pm

My word. I’ve never been speechless about food before…

Allie — October 23, 2010 @ 5:46 pm

Perogi pizza?! I live in Pittsburgh where EVERYONE loves a good perogi… that pizza sounds so, so delicious!

Camille — October 23, 2010 @ 6:38 pm

What a crazy idea! I love it!

GreenGirl — October 23, 2010 @ 6:39 pm

I’m so ashamed, I didn’t know what a perogi pizza is untill I read your post. Thanks for the cooking lesson.

Ellen@FirednFabulous — October 23, 2010 @ 7:10 pm

Mashed potatoes ON pizza?! Y-U-M. Yum.

liane — October 23, 2010 @ 10:36 pm

I’m concerned, where is the bacon?!
    All the Ukrainians I know put bacon, butter and sauerkraut on their perogies, and I know you love bacon.
    Are you feeling okay?! ;)

• girliefriend — October 25th, 2010 @ 1:50 am

We always used salt pork. Close enough! Yum!

Katrina — October 24, 2010 @ 4:24 am

BOOKMARKED! This is one of my favorite recipes that you have EVER posted!It looks soooo good!

CaSaundra — October 24, 2010 @ 5:26 am

Wow–I will definitely be willing to give this a try!!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Perogi Pizza | How Sweet It Is --