Pierogi Pizza.

Mashed potatoes on a pizza? You don’t say!

Pierogi Pizza I howsweeteats.com

Pierogies are a pretty big deal here in Pittsburgh. We even have pierogi races at PNC Park. I love pierogies. But if I am being truthful, most of the ones I have eaten since my youth have been of the Mrs. T variety. No one in my family made them from scratch. I have definitely had them from scratch before, at church festivals and what not – they are scrumptious.
There is a local restaurant that serves a pierogi pizza and I tasted it a few months ago. It was perfect – crispy crust, creamy potatoes, sweet onions – all topped off with a beautiful layer of cheese. However, it’s not for the faint of heart.

Pierogi Pizza I howsweeteats.com

Only read further is you’re prepared to enter carb heaven immediately after eating this.
First, it is simple. Not as simple as your regular pizza, because you must also make the mashed potatoes and caramelize the onions, but that can all be done ahead of time.

Second, I think it’s important to bake the crust a bit first since the topping is so heavy. I did that (I normally don’t) and it worked out great.

Third, I ate 3 pieces before coming up for air. That should tell you everything.

Pierogi Pizza I howsweeteats.com
Pierogi Pizza

1 batch pizza dough (any pizza dough will do!)

2 lbs potatoes, mostly peeled and chopped

1/4 cup butter + 1 tablespoon

1/2 cup milk

2 medium onions, sliced

2 cups grated cheddar cheese (or any cheese will do!)

Prepare your pizza dough and let rise. Once ready, press it into a pizza pan.

Preheat oven to 375. While oven is heating, boil potatoes – I usually boil mine for about 30 minutes, depending on the size, or until fork tender.  In a saucepan over medium head, add 1 tablespoon butter and sliced onions. Let caramelized, then set aside. Drain potatoes and set back in pot. Once oven is heated, add pizza dough and bake for 10-15 minutes.

Add 1/4 cup butter and milk to potatoes and mash. Season well with salt and pepper. If you have a wonderful mashed potato recipe, now is the time to use it. Make sure potatoes are creamy and smooth. Fold in 1/2 cup shredded cheese.

Remove pizza crust from over and begin spreading with potato mixture. I used a frosting spatula to spread evenly. Sprinkle with caramelized onions and remaining cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
Pierogi Pizza I howsweeteats.com

Are you up for the challenge? Food coma, here I come.

100 Responses to “Pierogi Pizza.”

Jenny — October 24, 2010 @ 7:54 am

OH MY GRACIOUS! This looks so good! Would be great with some sour cream and chives and bacon! Haha, ok maybe that’s too far. Looks great!

Nicole, RD — October 24, 2010 @ 9:08 am

How clever and carbolicious! I like it!

Kim in MD — October 24, 2010 @ 10:53 am

I am somewhat embarressed to say this, but here goes…

I have never had a perogi! Wow…what planet have I been living on? ;-) I want some of that perogi pizza right now!

Katie @ cozydelicious — October 24, 2010 @ 12:01 pm

oooh, what an awesome way to use up leftover mashed potatoes. I love anything that induces a carb delerium! This looks delish!

kate — October 24, 2010 @ 12:16 pm

You always have such creative ideas!

Kat — October 24, 2010 @ 1:46 pm

I grew up in Russia and this pizza looks incredible! WOW! I would have never thought to put this on the crust. Once again, you are amazing.

Kelly Olexa — October 24, 2010 @ 2:10 pm

OMG!!! I so love Perogi’s and haven’t had them in ages. This pizza looks like holy heck yummtastic~~~ DANG!!!

Peace.Love.Nutrition — October 24, 2010 @ 3:27 pm

ooooo I love the thinker crust! Looks delicious :)

Erika @ Food.Fitness.Fun — October 24, 2010 @ 5:38 pm

I love perogies! [Coming from a Ukrainian/Polish family] This would be a big hit with my family.

Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher — October 24, 2010 @ 7:16 pm

i’m almost certain that this recipe would cause my head to explode from greediness!

Tracy — October 24, 2010 @ 7:19 pm

As a Polish gal, I puffy heart LOVE this pizza! It actually reminds me a little of the Pizza Skins appetizer at Uno’s Chicago Grill. I’m totally going to make this!

Baking Serendipity — October 24, 2010 @ 8:47 pm

Yum! I am totally alright with all the carbs here. I’ve made a pizza with soft pretzels on it before and this is reminding me of it a little. I’m not sure anything can be wrong with it :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — October 24, 2010 @ 10:01 pm

I love perogi pizza!!!!!!! I always order it at Boston Pizza, and I dream about it. I have been wanting to make it at home, so I am glad you posted this!

Jess — October 24, 2010 @ 10:42 pm

hey just droppin by to say hello! i’ve been readin your blog for a couple months now (found you through pioneer woman i think?? lol! its been awhile), and i just started my blog so i thought it was time to finally comment!!!

i love all the recipes you post i actually made the chocolate chip cookie pie a few times for family and friends and its a huge hit :) love all the mother lovett stories she sounds like an incredible woman and the funny things she had done and say reminds me of my own Nana! anyway that’s all i’ve got for now but if you ever want to stop by my blog feel free!! theres not much up yet but i’m working on it =p

girliefriend — October 25, 2010 @ 1:39 am

omg! And here I thought mac and cheese pizza was going to be the death of me.

Kristy — October 25, 2010 @ 4:35 am

I am in love with this idea! Genuis!

Sophie @ yumventures — October 25, 2010 @ 5:57 am

My polish boyfriend would love this!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers — October 25, 2010 @ 8:43 am

Had you just said mashed potatoes on pizza, I probably could’ve passed over this… but then you had to go and call it pirogi and now I HAVE to have it. :)

Lori Deal — October 25, 2010 @ 5:50 pm

Now, that is food that is awesome. Love it.

Jamie @ Food in Real Life — October 25, 2010 @ 6:54 pm

I love the pierogi race in PNC park! I also heard about this lady who owns a Polish food store out in Wexford and brings homeade pierogis to Jordan Staal before every Penguins game :) Also, in Italy they put potatoes on pizza all the time! Carb on carb, that’s how it’s done!

• Jessica — October 25th, 2010 @ 7:46 pm

Sooo…. when are you coming here and we will go there? ;)

Sarah — October 25, 2010 @ 8:22 pm

you are an evil genius…i thank you, though my hips do not! so glad i found your blog! i will be reading and drooling for quite awhile!

culinaryneophyte — October 26, 2010 @ 11:21 am

Wow, I feel like I’ve gained 5 lbs just looking at it. Can’t wait to make!

Pretty. Good. Food. — October 26, 2010 @ 10:57 pm

This sounds absolutely fabulous!

Tami — October 27, 2010 @ 9:43 am

I’m from north of Pittsburgh and perogies were a big deal when I was growing up too. My husband’s Grammie made them from scratch and I have her recipe. YUM! It is a lot of work, but worth it. To be honest, I don’t have a lot of time to make them so I have learned a new, easier thing to make… Perogi Lasagna. Much easier than the actual thing. The recipe is on my blog if you’d like to check it out. Also, where I grew up, they had perogi pizza, but it was called Hungarian Pizza.

Dinner at Christina's — October 27, 2010 @ 8:31 pm

Yum, yum, yum!!! My boyfriend is 100% polish and his mom makes perogies from scratch. But for some reason a lot of theirs are sweet, not savory. I love the Mrs. T’s ones too! (blush) I’m totally going to make this pizza – already printed out!

• Jenna — November 30th, 2010 @ 10:46 pm

My boyfriend is 100% polish and his mom makes perogies from scratch too! He will love this Pizza! Thanks so much Jessica! You are absolutely amazing! :)

Stacy — December 10, 2010 @ 1:16 am

I have spent the entire evening drooling over your blog and making my grocery list for tomorrow. So far I have 4 dinner recipes and 3 cookie recipes just for the next 6 days. I am adding this one…and had to comment b/c I personally think topping this with crispy crunchy bacon would be pure heaven.

• Jessica — December 10th, 2010 @ 1:20 am

Ooooh you have to let me know what you end up making! And I know, I want to try this with bacon too.

ChrisLee — January 9, 2011 @ 3:28 pm

I grew up in Western PA, about 60 miles east of Pittsburgh. My vote for best pierogi pizza goes to Pappy’s Pizza Family Restaurant and Pub, in Johnstown PA. If you are ever there (like if you get lost on the turnpike), then stop in for the pizza.

KarenC — February 1, 2011 @ 9:53 pm

Oh My God. All that thing needs is some bacon on top. I dearly love mashed potatoes.

Gotta go revise my Superbowl party menu.

After I wipe the drool off my chin.

KCNC — May 22, 2011 @ 5:05 pm

This was so fast and easy! Perfect for when I want pierogi but don’t have the time to make from scratch. Thumbs up from my entire family.

Samantha — September 6, 2011 @ 10:22 am

I live in Florida and my Nana used to make her own perogis which were amazing, but down here, almost everyone I meet, has never had one before…CRAZY. I sautee mine in butter carmelized onions, gorgonzola, and bacon!! AMAZING…but THIS is going to be a new favorite!

amyfaith32 — January 30, 2012 @ 1:43 pm

Oh my goodness! There is a place at my college I used to go to that served baked potato pizza and they used to have a ketchup bottle filled with sour cream that they would zig zag across the pizza before serving- it also had chives. It was the best thing ever and I always thought it tasted just like pierogi! I have been wondering how to go about replicating that and can’t wait to try this pizza! It looks delicious!!

Aimee — November 8, 2012 @ 6:00 pm

I just found your blog – I live in Memphis now but am a Pittsburgher and shed some joyful tears reading about pierogi races at PNC park. No one here in Memphis knows what a pierogi is!!!! i am going to make this and dream ofthe best city ever.

Shelly — February 18, 2013 @ 11:43 am

I’m from NEPA (Scranton/Wilkes Barre) and we have that up here…but its called Pagash. Its AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tried to make it myself and it was very dry. I am going to try your recipe this time! Love your blog! love your pictures! Love your recipes!

Sandy — October 17, 2013 @ 2:08 pm

In Mantua, Ohio we call this potato pizza, but we put bacon on it as well. At one time we were the potato capital of Ohio. We have a festival called the Mantua Potato Festival!