I know, I know. I just said yesterday that I had been seeing way too much green.

But this is an exception. I’ve had many requests about the roasted green beans we had for Mr. How Sweet’s birthday dinner, so I knew I had to share.

And see, the thing is… they really don’t taste like green beans. They taste nothing like vegetables. They taste more like… french fries. Which would explain why I love them so.

I mean, this isn’t even a recipe. It’s more of a method. Super simple, but super delicious. Would you believe that the evening after eating these, I loved them so much that the next morning I made a batch at 6am before going to work?

Yeah, I didn’t think so. But it was worth a try.

Roasted Green Beans

1 lb fresh green beans

drizzle of olive oil

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 425.

Add green beans to a bowl and drizzle a tiny bit of olive oil on them. Mix with your hands to coat each green bean. Lay them on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Roast for 25-30 minutes, flipping once during cooking.

Okay. Enough of the green stuff. Off for a day of non-green indulgence!

84 Responses to “Roasted Green Bean Fries.”

Talia @Texas Gunslinger — October 9, 2010 @ 7:23 am

Wow, finally something that looks like I might be able to pull off! This looks so easy and I lOVE veggies, so this may be something this amateur cook can do!

Please, please, please remember me when you are indulging this weekend HAHA! :)

Lauren at KeepItSweet — October 9, 2010 @ 7:26 am

i am kind of addicted to roasted green beans, you are right – you don’t feel like you are eating a veggie

Brittany — October 9, 2010 @ 7:29 am

These are sooooo good! I have made them before and touted that they tasted like french fries. A co-worker, who reads the blog, tried the recipe and later said, “I liked them, but I don’t think you’ve had french fries in a while.”

Needless to say, I’m glad to know someone else thinks they taste like french fries too. ;)

Kristina @ My Life as a Mrs — October 9, 2010 @ 7:30 am

holy YUM. Those look crazy good! Definitely going to try this method. thanks!

Wei-Wei — October 9, 2010 @ 7:37 am

Mmmm. Looks amazing. About how much olive oil do you think this would take?

• Jessica — October 9th, 2010 @ 7:45 am

I only use about 1 teaspoon I’d say… but I really mix it thoroughly with my hands so every bean is coated. I found that if I use too much, they don’t crisp up as much as I like.

• Jessica — October 9th, 2010 @ 7:46 am

You could also just use an olive oil spritzer or cooking spray – that works too!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — October 9, 2010 @ 7:42 am

I make the exact same thing and love them! I usually sprinkle truffle oil or truffle butter to make them truffle “fries” ;) http://www.confessionsofachocoholic.com/healthy/what-to-do-with-local-yellow-and-green-beans

• Jessica — October 9th, 2010 @ 7:44 am

Oh my gosh that sounds AMAZING. I must try them this way!

Krystina — October 9, 2010 @ 8:02 am

I’ve made those before and they’re delicious!

By the way, I made a vegan version of your parfait (here: http://organicallyme.blogspot.com/2010/10/more-of-my-favorite-grain.html) and it was face rockin’!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — October 9, 2010 @ 8:24 am

um, since you told me how you make these i’ve been eating them every.single.day. yesterday i ate them with bean dip. nate hates me now :)

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) — October 9, 2010 @ 8:25 am

I love green beans when they taste like french fries. I know exactly what you mean. MMM.

Kristina @ spabettie — October 9, 2010 @ 8:28 am

I need to do this. It is Jason’s favorite vegetable, and I really only like them thai style, sauteed in enough garlic that I forget they are there. :D

I think this would work…

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — October 9, 2010 @ 9:11 am

Yes please. Seeing as we are soon going to be living in the same state, you can fully expect me to just show up at your door requesting delicious non-green foods.

Chicago Cuisine Critique — October 9, 2010 @ 9:23 am

Yum these look awesome. I may have to make these asap. :)

Jessica@tastyandtrim — October 9, 2010 @ 9:43 am

I tried making roasted green bean fries one time, but it didn’t go so well..I charred those suckers – I’m lucky they didn’t set on fire! I think it may be because I never flipped them! I’m going to have to give it another go though because your green bean fries look heavenly. Then again, what doesn’t look heavenly that you make? :)

Erica — October 9, 2010 @ 9:51 am

Its so fun to eat veggies in a “fry” (but baked form). Green beans are awesome, as are little bits of cauliflower. Very tasty. Hope you’re having a wonderful weekend

HefiA — October 9, 2010 @ 10:28 am

I just realized I have some green beans in my freezer. And after seeing your pretty pictures, of course I gotta have some for lunch!! :) Thanx for the idea.

nancy k — October 9, 2010 @ 11:10 am

I love roasted green beans. I have been making them ever since I can across a recipe in a book called The Roasted Vegatable by Andrea Chesman. It has really great recipes for all kinds of veggies. Roasting just seems to make most veggies delicious.The beans are great with a bit of balsamic vinegar sprinkes on out of the oven as well.

Shannon — October 9, 2010 @ 11:57 am

ummm yum! i am always trying to find ways to “trick” myself into eating more veggies… i’m all over this one!

Rachel Wilkerson — October 9, 2010 @ 11:57 am

There are few things I love more than green beans…except, maybe, I don’t know…FRENCH FRIES!?! I’m sitting here eating sauteed green beans right now and they are wishing they were roasted.

I need to get on this ASAP.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — October 9, 2010 @ 12:31 pm

I have a HUGE thing of green beans that i got from tj’s last week for 2 bucks. i should have made these with them :)

Amalia — October 9, 2010 @ 12:32 pm

yum! Theose look amazing! I don’t think I could stop popping them in my mouth!
    I have been making healthy emals lately too, like sweet potato pancakes! Yum. I love your blog!

Dana — October 9, 2010 @ 1:53 pm

I was waiting for you to post this recipe ever since you mentioned them…. they sound great!!!

Mary A — October 9, 2010 @ 1:57 pm

I hate most vegetables, but I know I need them. Anyway they can be turned into something I can choke down is good with me.

Cara — October 9, 2010 @ 4:10 pm

Love green beans!
    I am sure they taste fabulous when roasted; I never tried that before.

Katie — October 9, 2010 @ 6:17 pm

Green beans are going on my grocery list this week – I can’t even wait for these!

Katrina — October 9, 2010 @ 6:54 pm

These look so tasty! What a great way to make green beans exciting.

sophia — October 9, 2010 @ 8:45 pm

All veggies should be roasted the heck out of them. That’s the way to eat a good veggie, uh-huh! Another way to enjoy these is to sprinkle lemon zest and dip them in some kind of flavored mayo! :D

Pure2raw twins — October 10, 2010 @ 10:02 am

I just love when you post about veggies ; ) xoxo But you sure do make the best desserts!!

Aunt Lollie — October 10, 2010 @ 10:23 am

I love cooking a variety of vegies this way. Broccoli is great! The key is not to take it out of the oven too soon because you want them to get a little crispy. BTW, i usually do it in a low broiler. Works just as good but you can eat it that much sooner.

Jamie @ Food in Real Life — October 10, 2010 @ 11:25 am

Ever since I saw these on your blog I’ve been making them all the time! It’s such a great idea!

ASHLEA — October 10, 2010 @ 8:05 pm

Those look great! I love roasting vegetables and have never tried green beans. Yum!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — October 11, 2010 @ 1:46 pm

My husband has been asking me to make green beans lately, so I will have to try this recipe!

Ingrid — October 11, 2010 @ 3:23 pm

I think I may be able to get my kids to eat these! If not I will! :)

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — October 11, 2010 @ 6:56 pm

These look good! Definitely going to be making some green beans this week!

Andrea — October 12, 2010 @ 7:06 am

I will make these TODAY!

lownbrow — October 13, 2010 @ 1:06 pm

These look darn tasty but any comparison to a French Fry, taste or otherwise is misguided at best and cause for excommunication from the Church at worst. keep it real folks.

Jacque — November 14, 2010 @ 8:15 am

You are a genius! I’ve roasted green beans plenty of times before, but generally at a lower temperature and less time. This method sounds much better! Adding this to my must try soon list!

Sonya — November 21, 2010 @ 6:53 pm

these look wonderful! I love new ways to cook green beans.

Sheryl — February 2, 2011 @ 11:54 pm

My roommate and I just made these.

They were amazing.

We are in love.

We are debating fighting the ice and snow to go to the grocery store to buy more green beans.

• Jessica — February 3rd, 2011 @ 2:05 am

Great to hear. :)

Eleanor@eatinglikeahorse — May 24, 2011 @ 4:10 pm

I’ve just made these… I wasn’t completely convinced before but they do taste EXACTLY like normal chips – only better! I need to get more green beans :-)

Zach — June 12, 2011 @ 10:43 am

Made these with dinner last night…they didn’t quite make it to the table.

Juju — June 20, 2011 @ 9:47 pm

These look so good! I’m going to try to head to the supermarket and get some green beans for this week!! :)

Jess @ Bringing Up Baby — June 22, 2011 @ 4:33 pm

I just found your website from the comments on Pioneer Woman’s site (I know…so random…and could I sound like a creepier stalker?!) and when I saw green bean fries, I just had to check out the recipe.

Ummm…I’m making these TONIGHT. Green beans? YUM. Fries? YUM GREEN BEAN FRIES?!? Must be delicious. Can’t wait!

Oh, and I’ve poked around your blog a bit and I just love it. You’ve earned yourself a regular reader!

Ok, I’m done being weird and creepy now.

Elle — July 2, 2011 @ 2:15 pm

Roasting is essentially just baking, right? I’m new to cooking, and all of the kitchen terminology is a challenge for me. ;)

caroline — July 4, 2011 @ 6:42 pm

I just bought green beans from the farmers market and made these, and LOVED them. Thank you for the recipe! I’m telling my mom about them now so she can make them for my dad. So good!!

Sammi K Walker — July 10, 2011 @ 10:31 pm

I just had to comment! I hate green vegies for the most part, and I’m always looking for ways to trick myself into eating them (raw spinach doused in salad dressing, or blended into spaghetti sauce), but THESE. These are so GOOD. Not even tricky hidden by other flavors good. But good all on their own. I used truffle oil (which adds a really nice flavor!) and salt, no pepper (cause it’s blek to me). The only thing is I would have liked them slightly crispier… Will have to figure out how to do that.

Anyways, I just wanted to say thanks for sharing this super simple recipe. I has made me ridiculously happy (and you know, now maybe I’ll get some vitamins in me). :)

Diana — August 29, 2011 @ 2:18 pm

I was shocked to see your beans! I have been making my beans like this on the grill. I lay them out on foil, in a small bowl I put olive oil, soy sauce and a clove of minced garlic and drizzle over beans. Cook on the grill for about half an hour turning a few times, absolutely delish!

reviews on music — November 21, 2011 @ 2:47 pm

Thanks , I have recently been searching for info about this subject for ages and yours is the greatest I have came upon so far. But, what concerning the conclusion? Are you certain concerning the supply?|What i don’t understood is if truth be told how you are no longer actually much more smartly-favored than you may be right now. You are very intelligent.

Macaroni and Cheesecake — January 3, 2012 @ 12:56 pm

Just made these on New Years and they were fabulous! Like you, I don’t really love green vegetables but this was great! Loved them!

Lynn — May 7, 2012 @ 12:21 pm

My family was not big on these. I won’t be making them again.

Monca — May 14, 2012 @ 8:28 pm

So good! I added a bit of kosher roasted garlic sprinkles.

1. Pingback: Need a break? Escape with a crepe! « Whole Wheat or Bust!

2. Pingback: My Ribs Are Short. | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Peanut Butter Fingers » One Last Romp

4. Pingback: One Week « Hungry Dancer

5. Pingback: Meatless Monday Fail and a Week Without Running | healthycollegegirl

6. Pingback: What’s for Dinner? 6 Weeks of Ideas

7. Pingback: Hungry Friday « Corrie Anne

8. Pingback: WIAW | Eating like a horse

9. Pingback: Roasted Potato Salad | How Sweet It Is

10. Pingback: make ahead meals « Hello, I Love You

11. Pingback: Food in Season | Nourish

12. Pingback: For the love of kimchi Pt.2 « savourytraveller

13. Pingback: Recipe Purge! «

14. Pingback: Gluten Free Menu Plan – Week of February 13 | Adventures of a Gluten Free Mom

15. Pingback: Cheese Burgers Please! | Twospicey.com

16. Pingback: Friday Favorites 2/24 | Angel's Homestead

17. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter Cups | How Sweet It Is

18. Pingback: Let’s Roll! « Lindsey Bakes Alaska

19. Pingback: 100 Healthy, Delicious and Easy Lunchbox Snack Ideas on FamilyFreshCooking.com — Family Fresh Cooking

20. Pingback: Green Bean Bacon Bundles | How Sweet It Is

21. Pingback: SuperBowl Sunday | klerebearsweets

22. Pingback: TodaysMama.com - 100 New Lunchbox Ideas To Try

23. Pingback: Red Wine Marinated Flank Steak with Cherry Tomato Caprese Salsa | How Sweet It Is