Don’t mind my dirty cutting board below. I was chopping nuts. That has nothing to do with these sweet potatoes, but I felt that you needed to know.

Now, stop what you are doing right this second and go make these sweet potato skins. They will complete you, Jerry Maguire style.

Savory Sweet Potato Skins I howsweeteats.com

Not sure what to do with all those leftover mashed sweet potatoes? Well, that’s an easy one. Make some whipped sweet potatoes or some waffles or some glazed sweet potato muffins.

Or just mix them with some vanilla and cinnamon, then top with whipped cream. Makes a perfect afternoon snack if I do say so myself.
How delicious are potato skins? This was my first time making homemade ones, but my goal was to make a few as a healthier side dish for Mr. How Sweet. I was nervous about the skins of the sweet taters, but they turned out crispy and delicious. Especially since they were coated with a sprinkling of sea salt.

Savory Sweet Potato Skins I howsweeteats.com

Potato skins really remind me of Mother Lovett. Any time we went out to dinner, she usually ordered potato skins and ” wing dings.”  I think that is code for chicken wings, but one restaurant called them wing dings and she just never let it go. It didn’t matter where we went – out for seafood or to a steakhouse – she only ordered potato skins. Or wings. Oh – or chicken quesadillas. Watching an elegant 85-year old lady with dentures eat “wing dings” was pretty amusing though. And very messy.

Savory Sweet Potato Skins I howsweeteats.com

So, dare I say that these may be one of my most favorite snacks I’ve made to date? I know I can be dramatic and all, but these took the cake.
And just to take it over the top, add a dollop of greek yogurt or sour cream on top. Then all will be right in the world.

Savory Sweet Potato Skins I howsweeteats.com
Savory Sweet Potato Skins

makes 8 skins

4 small sweet potatoes

2 tablespoons olive oil

3-4 ounces low fat cheese, grated

2 slices of bacon, crumbled

1/4 cup chopped green onions

1/4 cup plain greek yogurt

sea salt

Preheat oven to 400.

Cut sweet potatoes in half lengthwise, set on a baking sheet, and bake cut side up for 30-40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Once cool enough to handle, scoop out sweet potato flesh, leaving just the slightest bit in the skin. Discard the flesh.

Flip skins over so skin side is up. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt, then bake for 10 minutes. Flip, brush insides with olive oil, and bake for 10 more minutes.

Remove skins and place a sprinkling of cheese in each, topping with bacon. Place back in the oven for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Remove and top with green onions and greek yogurt (or sour cream, of course!)
Savory Sweet Potato Skins I howsweeteats.com

We all know that Mr. How Sweet is a man of few words, so when he exclaimed how delicious these were multiple times, I knew I’d hit the jackpot. That means you will love them too!

117 Responses to “Savory Sweet Potato Skins.”

RhodeyGirl — October 19, 2010 @ 8:30 am

BOOKMARKED!

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — October 19, 2010 @ 9:07 am

You mean he didn’t say, “They taste like potato skins”?? You certainly HAVE hit the jackpot then :wink:

Jenn L @ peas and crayons — October 19, 2010 @ 9:20 am

WOW… I have been looking for a way to eat sweet potatoes that isn’t a sugary hot mess and this just looks awesome! I’m not sure my husband has ever even tried a sweet potato (he’s a little sheltered… i gave him his first pepper. weird boy) but this could be a great way to introduce them to him =) Thanks!

Becca — October 19, 2010 @ 9:31 am

These look amazing! I’ve been cravign sweet potatoes like no ones business!

Blond Duck — October 19, 2010 @ 9:49 am

That is such a good idea!

TheHealthyApron — October 19, 2010 @ 9:55 am

OMG I cant wait to try these!!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — October 19, 2010 @ 9:58 am

I love potato skins. I haven’t made them myself in a long time though. I bet with sweet potato they would be fantastic!

Donire — October 19, 2010 @ 10:01 am

I’ve been making a lot of sweet potatoes lately, and this? Sounds like the perfect way to use the skins. Also? Yours is quickly becoming one of my favorite food blogs.

• Jessica — October 19th, 2010 @ 10:25 am

Thank you! That means so much to me.

Caitlin — October 19, 2010 @ 10:19 am

“but one restaurant called them wing dings and she just never let it go.” <—- HAHA I love Mother Lovett stories.

I love me some potato skins and these look great. Also, my grandparents were big into ordinary things like TV dinners simply because it wasn't something they had growing up. Too cute.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — October 19, 2010 @ 10:20 am

restaurant quality…both the recipe and the food photography. Amazing work!!! :)

Ja'Nelle — October 19, 2010 @ 10:28 am

I heart you for this recipe. I just bought some sweet potatoes from the market. Looks like we’ll be having sweet whipped potatoes AND loaded sweet potato skins HOLLA!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — October 19, 2010 @ 10:42 am

haha Jerry Magiure style..love that!!! YUM these look so good Jess! again another KNOCK OUT!

Kelly — October 19, 2010 @ 11:07 am

Too funny! I actually hate sweet potatoes but love the skins. So I always make sweet taters for the hubs and I get the skin! I scoop out the pulp and then broil the skins to get some crisp texture. SWOON!!!

natalie (the sweets life) — October 19, 2010 @ 11:33 am

i find myself drooling at my desk everytime you post (well, not the makeup post, but you get the picture… ;)) these look incredible!!

Ami — October 19, 2010 @ 11:34 am

mmmm these look tasty! I am always looking for new things to do with sweet potatoes (I can only eat so many sweet potato fries ;)).

LizLivingVegan — October 19, 2010 @ 11:43 am

Those are probably the *cutest* potato skins I’ve ever seen! haha I bet I could throw some vegan chili in those and call it a day. YUM!

RhodeyGirl — October 19, 2010 @ 12:28 pm

A few questions..

1. What type of cheese did you use?

2. I assume the bacon was already cooked before you put it in the potato. Did you just microwave it or ??

• Jessica — October 19th, 2010 @ 12:48 pm

I used smoked cheddar, just because it was what I had on hand. And I did cook the bacon before – you can microwave it or I just throw it in the oven for about 15 minutes at 425 on a wire rack.

Ellen@FirednFabulous — October 19, 2010 @ 12:33 pm

Hol-Y Yummm! Love the Jerry Maguire reference too ;)

Christina — October 19, 2010 @ 1:15 pm

Looking at your pictures made me so hungry!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather — October 19, 2010 @ 1:42 pm

I’ve never made or had (gasp!) potato skins. I’ve gotta say, these do look great. Maybe with these I can convince my husband to like sweet potatoes as much as I do.

Moni'sMeals — October 19, 2010 @ 2:11 pm

Never have I seen this! Brillant Jessica. I can’t keep up with all your spectacular recipes you rockstar. ;)
    I am adding it to the list…

Chicago Cuisine Critique — October 19, 2010 @ 2:28 pm

Yum! These look awesome. Great idea!

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) — October 19, 2010 @ 3:36 pm

AMAZING! Seriously you are my favorite right now. I love sweet potatoes and I really love potato skins…why didn’t I think of this? Genius!

Katie — October 19, 2010 @ 3:46 pm

ooo, these look so good. I’m going to have to go to the grocery store tomorrow for more sweet taters.

homecookedem — October 19, 2010 @ 4:23 pm

We actually have a ton of sweet potatoes from a local farm that my mom got for us! This recipe is PERFECT timing!! I am going to beg Andrew to make this for us ASAP! :)

araceli @ Araceli Saborea — October 19, 2010 @ 4:47 pm

I’ve never had a sweet potato in a savory form, but wow that looks gooood!

Anna @ Blissful Whimsy — October 19, 2010 @ 6:12 pm

My husband and I LOVE anything with sweet potatoes. Thanks for sharing! I’ll definitely be trying this out very soon.

Baking Serendipity — October 19, 2010 @ 7:24 pm

I love potato skins and would feel so good about eating them if they were sweet potato skins. It just sounds healthier :) These look delicious!

Katie @ cozydelicious — October 19, 2010 @ 7:35 pm

Oooh, these look awesome! I love potato skins and i love sweet potatoes – I have to make these!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — October 19, 2010 @ 9:27 pm

Mmmmmmmmm!!!! Potato skins are my idea of a perfect snack – better than cake or cookies ANY day!

Dana — October 20, 2010 @ 1:08 pm

I love this lighter version of potato skins…. sounds fantastic!

Meaghen — October 20, 2010 @ 1:20 pm

I love potato skins, but have never thought to make them with sweet potatoes! How genius! They look lovely!

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com — October 20, 2010 @ 2:31 pm

OMFG.

Eliana — October 20, 2010 @ 8:41 pm

Jadore!!! I’m in love with these!

Allie — October 20, 2010 @ 9:20 pm

I’ve never even thought of sweet potato skins!! Suchhh a delicious idea, I can’t wait to try!

briarrose — October 21, 2010 @ 5:36 am

Oh my these look so tasty.

Kristen — October 21, 2010 @ 7:37 am

These look incredible! Like nothing I’ve ever seen. I’m making them for company tonight!!

Gloria Kersh — October 21, 2010 @ 8:57 am

Those look delicious! I think they’d be great with football this weekend (with a few vegan twists) ;-)

Yesim — October 21, 2010 @ 9:23 am

i liked it, i love to eat patatos skin after cooked, u got buzzed:) congr for TOP 9

salah@myhealthiestlifestyle — October 21, 2010 @ 10:47 am

These look great!!1 I think I might be making these soon!

Matt Kay — October 21, 2010 @ 12:04 pm

Now I know what I’m doing with my leftover skins when I make sweet potato soup. :D

Awesome idea and a well deserved top 9.
    Cheers!

Kristen — October 21, 2010 @ 7:37 pm

I commented earlier today, but just wanted you to know that I really did make these for company tonight and they were awesome! Totally different flavor profile than anything else I’ve ever made. Big yum!

Betsy @JavaCupcake — January 25, 2011 @ 2:53 am

I’ve been looking through yours last 30-40 posts and I have to say that a lot of them are very health conscious… and I really appreciate that. I love that I just clicked on this post, thinking to myself… holy cow I love sweet potatoes… then finding you used low-fat cheese and yogurt. Seriously, thank you. I am about 7 most post weight loss surgery and it’s I am happily surprised to find a blog that combines my love of baked goods and healthy choices. So…. THANK YOU.

I’m looking forward to seeing what else you come up with!

<3 Betsy
    JavaCupcake.com

Kristi — February 8, 2012 @ 2:31 pm

Made these for our Super Bowl party, and they were a HIT (and the pup loved the scooped out leftover sweet potato)! So easy, delicious and healthy. Good thing I accidentally ate three pieces of the extra bacon I made in the process. Oops.

AlanS — September 10, 2013 @ 1:05 am

What to do with the left over sweet potato. Well try this.
    Cut 4 or 5 large red onions into rings and sweat in butter (or olive oil) till nicely soft and sweet. Add a 1/2 cup of red wine for extra flavour. Make sure you use a fry pan that can go in the oven. Add salt and white pepper to taste. Set oven to 180 C fan bake and pre heat. Cover the onions with the mashed sweet potato ( I add some chilli flakes and a good dash of pepper and salt). Put in the oven for around 30 minutes or till potato has browned. Now the fun bit. Tart tartan style flip the contents of the pan onto a serving plate. Onion will be like a sauce on top of the sweet potato. Serve with your favourite greens.

• Donna — November 15th, 2013 @ 7:56 am

@AlanS….Thanks so much for the BRILLIANT idea for a Sweet Potato/Patate Douce -Onion Tarte Tatin!!!…This was so kind of you to share …and a great way of stretching the vegetable “out” to create two distinct…luscious meals. Thanks to you both …Jessica and AlanS!!!