Since I recently made such a drastic decision, I know there are going to be many changes to come. I keep reminding myself that these changes are great ones and are leading me to my ultimate passion: writing.

The thing is, I don’t like change! Do you? I admit it keeps things exciting, but it really makes me want to curl up in a ball.

In order to maintain a positive attitude, I am trying to find the best in all of these changes and remember that some may be short-term sacrifices for my long-term dreams.

The first change is a minor one, but definitely a change from what I’m used to. The first thing I did when I resigned was cancel my gym membership. I never had to pay for a gym membership because I always trained a gym. But that gym ended up being a good 15 minute drive there and back, and at 4:45 am before a long day… it all adds up. So I was paying a fee for a gym that is less than a mile from my house – it was just easier.

This is a huge change for me. I am pretty sure I can still go work out at the gym I trained at before, but until I decide if I am going to train a few clients again, I’d prefer not to.

This means… no access to weights! While it will most likely be short lived and I will be back in a gym once I have more solid plans, I am looking forward to changing up my routine, doing more yoga and doing more functional work. I may get a set of 20# dumbbells at some point, but I want to see how it goes. The thing I’m not looking forward to? We only have a treadmill.

Major snooooze. And as most of you know – I am not a runner. I despise running. It is right up there next to eating broccoli. Not my drug of choice. But you gotta give some things up to get the dreams you want, right? No big deal. Small potatoes.

So… if you don’t have a gym membership, what is your favorite strength training workout? I get bored very easily so will be switching it up a lot. Is there a DVD you love? A FitTv program you love? I’m certainly not in the market for Insanity or P90X (unless someone wants to send me one – ha!)

In other news, this weekend marks the two year anniversary of the How Sweet Wedding! Where is the the time going? Why am I not 17 anymore? And most importantly, why hasn’t the money tree I planted started growing in the back yard?!

90 Responses to “The First Change.”

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete — October 5, 2010 @ 4:23 pm

Love it. Things change. You are changing with them whether you want to or not. ;) I heard the TRX is pretty good, and it is minimal equipment. Good luck, chica!!

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston — October 5, 2010 @ 4:25 pm

Aww you look gorgeous — happy anniversary! And I’m wondering about that money tree too..

Katie — October 5, 2010 @ 4:25 pm

Happy Anniversary!! What a beautiful picture.

Also, I love all of Jillian Michael’s DVDs…you can get them on netflix, which I love. I do them in my garage so no one has to watch me jumping around and cursing the weights she makes me lift.

Cynthia (It All Changes) — October 5, 2010 @ 4:26 pm

Congrats on the anniversary. Making changes is fun, scary and amazing all at once.

liane — October 5, 2010 @ 4:27 pm

I’ve gone without gym memberships and I’ve always used fitness DVDs. I’ve got the attention span of a 4 year old on a sugar high, so I rotate every 3rd viewing.
    I use Jillian Michaels DVDs, which you can find at walmart for cheap (or online!) and I’ve got one called “get ripped”, oh and a bunch of pilates DVDs.

Also, youtube as some fitness routines online that are good!

Liz @ Blog is the New Black — October 5, 2010 @ 4:30 pm

Happy anniversary! :) I’ve done the yoga On Demand and enjoy that, but otherwise I’ve always relied on a gym!

BIOCHEMISTA — October 5, 2010 @ 4:30 pm

LOVEEEE that picture!! Happy anniversary!! :)

My favorite workout dvds are p90x and TurboFire!

• BIOCHEMISTA — October 5th, 2010 @ 4:31 pm

Oh and Jillian Michaels 30 day shred! Levels 2 and 3 are great circuit workouts and only 20 mins each!

Julia — October 5, 2010 @ 4:30 pm

I LOVE LOVED LOVE Jillians Michaels No More Trouble Zones and 30 day Shred. .You only need minimal weights and space. And these videos require no running or gym membership yet kick you ass like no other!!! And I haven’t done it yet, but have friends who swear by ‘intensity’ videos. Have fun changing it up!

Hallie — October 5, 2010 @ 4:32 pm

Happy almost anniversary! I think you should look into buying Insanity, or you might be more into P90X, on craigslist. I got it, brand new for $ 65 and probably could have found it cheaper. I really like Insanity, but I don’t have time to do the whole program straight through so if I were doing it every day I might have a different experience.

Carrie — October 5, 2010 @ 4:37 pm

If anything, buy a pull-up bar! Only good for upper body, but man can you get a work out on it. I recommend starting to explore weight work-outs with just using your body as the weight, there are a few guides out there.

Or you know, fill gallon jugs with water. :)

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — October 5, 2010 @ 4:37 pm

Change! I am with you! So much going on in my head…I need a vacation from thinking. I love core fusion and ballet strength. I know there is some ballet strength on exercisetv.com. I have to change things up too and I swear, I thought core fusion was for wimps…I was SO WRONG! I swear I see a difference in my butt.

barefootgirl27 — October 5, 2010 @ 4:39 pm

first of all…. happy anniversary. and you were (are) a BEAUTIFUL bride!!

2) I have zero advice on the exercise thingy.

I did day 2 of C25K today and my lungs HATE me.

Hell, I hate me.

but I long to wear leggings. so tomorrow will be day three

did I mention that I did day 2 (today) in THE RAIN?

lastly.. ( and most important) I thought of your today.. as I made a bacon -wrapped meatloaf for dinner

‘nuf. said.

• Jessica — October 5th, 2010 @ 4:42 pm

Hahahah oh I love you.

Sydney — October 5, 2010 @ 4:41 pm

I have a bit of a messed up knee (running injury) so, after much frustration, I finally discovered pilates. And not just any old DVD…The best is not even sold in the USA anymore (except for Amazon.com!). Check out Winsor Pilates with Mari Winsor. “Ab Sculpting” and “Bun & Thighs” are my favorite and neither hurt my knee!
    Good luck with the big change!

Jess — October 5, 2010 @ 4:42 pm

Pilates and yoga are good ways to switch it up for me:) you look gorgeous in that wedding pic!

Heather — October 5, 2010 @ 4:45 pm

OK…you have to get some weights (I have 3, 5, 10, 15, and 20 lbs…a little excess, but whatev) and do all of Cathe Freidrich’s workouts on FitTV. I think she comes on at 9 or 10 am? Anyway, they’re amazing workouts and super challenging.

phew, sorry, got a little excited there!

vanillasugar — October 5, 2010 @ 4:47 pm

i have to cancel my gym membership in a couple months. i cannot afford to take on another year too costly. i will miss my weights dearly as that and walking are my only form of exercise. i need to come up with almost reliable alternatives to weights. I’m turning to Jackie Warner for this one. She’s really good at this…I just have to go research. Please share if you find alternatives too. (I do heavy weights btw, never those lil 5 lbs thingees)
    Pilates kicks ass too and so does that NYC ballet workout, plus jesus that was hard. lol

Jessica (Fit and Clean) — October 5, 2010 @ 4:50 pm

Change can be good. You can get by with using your own body weight for a bit instead of weights, or lift jugs of water, LOL :) Gorgeous picture, btw! Happy Anniversary!

Liz @ LBBakes — October 5, 2010 @ 4:51 pm

I dare you to start running! Doooo it!

Cynthia — October 5, 2010 @ 4:52 pm

The Jillian Michaels DVDs are awesome. I love 30 day shred and No More Trouble Zones.

kelly — October 5, 2010 @ 4:57 pm

I liked the 30 day shred, but got bored w/it :) And I’ve been doing pilates off and on for 5 years, but have become bored with that too.. haha. Running is the only thing that I haven’t become bored with yet!! Maybe you’ll like it if you run outside to some fun music :)

Jessica@jesscookinit.blogspot.com — October 5, 2010 @ 5:01 pm

I love Jillian Michael’s dvds! I had the 30 day shred, the No More Trouble Zones, and the Burn Fat, Boost Metabolism. If you like to lift, you will like the NMTZ. The 30 day shred is a 20 minute combo of cardio and weights. Great if you want to squeeze in a short work out that will make you sweat! The BFBM one is weight free and a lot of cardio, but the moves that you do are strength building in that you use your own body weight to build muscle while keeping your heart rate high. You definetly see results after using her videos…I am 1/2 marathon training right now, but prior to that, I did each video once and week and maybe ran once as well. Worked great for me, especially since I have a one year old and my workout times have to fit in during her naps! :P Super cheap way to stay fit and enjoy working out! :) [I got the videos at walmart for $9]

Estela @ Weekly Bite — October 5, 2010 @ 5:07 pm

Congrats on your wedding anniversary!

I have the insanity dvd set. If there’s a way I can download for you, its yours :)

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — October 5, 2010 @ 5:13 pm

I know the time flies! We’ve been married 2 years and 1 month and it went to fast! I don’t have any type of cardio machine in my apt, but i have some free weights and a BUNCH of dvds. I def recommend Bob Harper’s new dvds. I reviewed basically all of them, they are awesome!

Rachel — October 5, 2010 @ 5:24 pm

totally adorable wedding picture! and the only workout vid i’ve ever tried is jillian michaels/the biggest loser last chance workout… i love it, it totally kicks my ass, but then again i’m a scrawny runner and you’re probably way stronger than me! :)

Kelly Michelle — October 5, 2010 @ 5:29 pm

Check out your local library. It’s free and they often have exercise dvds you can borrow. That way you can try all different ones! Most libraries now you can browse the collection online and request what you want and if any branch has it they will send it to your closest branch to pick up or you can get on a wait list for it.

Kelly Michelle — October 5, 2010 @ 5:31 pm

ohhh also TJ Maxx and Marshalls are great places to check because they have been carrying a lot of workout stuff lately. It’s hit or miss but I have seen dvds, weights, pull up bars, resistance bands, etc and its cheaper than a sporting goods store.

Christina — October 5, 2010 @ 5:34 pm

I dreaded the treadmill too. One day I decided to try it out and I’ve since then developed a love-hate relationship with it. I rotate between using the treadmill and workout DVD’s at home. Right now I’m using a pilates DVD, 10 Minute Solution. It’s quick and tones all parts of your body.

I LOVE the pic, congratulations on the anniversary! I too wonder why I am not 17 anymore (or 21, actually)!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — October 5, 2010 @ 5:43 pm

Congrats! I like the website Exercise TV – they ahve great videos!!

Krystina — October 5, 2010 @ 6:03 pm

Beautiful picture. Happy early anniversary!

Cara Craves... — October 5, 2010 @ 6:10 pm

Embrace the change!
    Though it can be a struggle to figure all the new stuff out and build a new routine, it will probably be worth it. Just don’t lose sight of your future goals and the reasons why you decided to make the change in the first place :)

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies — October 5, 2010 @ 6:12 pm

Aww – happy anniversary!! That wedding photo is just gorgeous.

Ann — October 5, 2010 @ 6:16 pm

What kind of writing do you want to do? Are you looking at food writing – recipes? Like Mama Pea and Jenna at Eat Live Run? Or are you interested in story telling or freelance writing like journalism? I think journalism sounds interesting.
    Too bad I cannot quit my job :(
    And your only a baby in age. Goodness, you have a lot of time to sort it out. Good luck with getting a new job. In this economy, it is highly stressful!

• Jessica — October 6th, 2010 @ 5:00 am

I love food writing as a hobby, but my real passion lies in writing fiction.

Jenna — October 5, 2010 @ 6:27 pm

I am so excited for you and your new journey. So proud of you! Two years, congrats. :)

Julie — October 5, 2010 @ 6:36 pm

I recently became a ZUMBA instructor and I love their workout DVDs. In fact, they have some new ones coming out soon, but for now, you can get a set here : http://www.zumba.com/us/shop/action/view/productId_188/

Jamie @ Food in Real Life — October 5, 2010 @ 6:44 pm

Happy anniversary! What a beautiful picture. This is such a wonderful time of year to get married. I hate change. It scares the living daylights out of me. But I know I’ll survive. I find routine in everything, eventually. I was totally freaked out after I quit my job to go back to school. But soon enough, things fall into place. They always do!

Kitten with a Whisk — October 5, 2010 @ 6:56 pm

First off – Congrats!

2nd – I love rebounding. It is such a great way to wake me up in the morning.

Lauren at KeepItSweet — October 5, 2010 @ 6:59 pm

i am totally afraid of change, but usually am happier once the change takes place! sounds like things are about to change for the good for you (even without a gym temporarily)

Stephanie — October 5, 2010 @ 7:00 pm

I quit my gym membership in January and love working out at home! I do alot of On Demand workouts on ExerciseTV – there are great strength/weight combos that are super challenging (6 Round Slim Down, Jackier Warner Power Circuit Training are my faves right now) plus tons of yoga (yogadownload.com is ahhh-mayyy-zinggg!)

Yay for your anniversary too – so wonderful!! :)

Valerie from Sex, Food, and Rock & Roll — October 5, 2010 @ 7:28 pm

Happy anniversary! I don’t work out as much as I’d like so I’m no help there, but I congratulate you on taking a big step toward your dreams. I did the same thing recently, and though I’m nowhere near where I want to be yet, I’m closer than I was and I can say that as hard as it is, it’s worth it. You’ll be fine, just keep your goal in mind. :-D

Caitlin — October 5, 2010 @ 7:39 pm

I think your money tree had the same problem in the PA soil mine did. It just never sprouted so much as a bud..

Perhaps all we need is the hot southern climate? Sipping something totally cliche like a mint julep while we plant them probably wouldn’t hurt, either.

• Jessica — October 5th, 2010 @ 7:42 pm

Guess I gotta move to TX.

Krista (kristastes) — October 5, 2010 @ 7:44 pm

LOVE this insanely fit chick’s workout vids — and you can do them anywhere! I do these when I’m down the shore in the summer when I don’t have gym access. You may have seen this site before but if not, check it out :) AND happy anniversary!!! http://www.bodyrock.tv/

Lisa @ I'm an Oie — October 5, 2010 @ 8:20 pm

Change isn’t fun, but getting out of your comfort zone will do ya some good. it always does me!

I’m giving away Insanity–go enter if you haven’t, myabe you’ll win :).

katie — October 5, 2010 @ 8:36 pm

Seriously- you 2 are A BEAUTIFUL COUPLE!!
    I do NOT like change, but girl , it makes us SO strong in the end.. Gods plan is so much bigger and better! LOVE YOU!

the country cook @ Delightful Country Cookin — October 5, 2010 @ 9:01 pm

Netflix has some great workout videos! There’s a crunch yoga video that combines yoga and pilates. It didn’t seem hard, but I sure felt it afterwards. I loved it because I got a good stretch while working out – that’s unusual for me!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — October 5, 2010 @ 10:14 pm

Happy Anniversary!

Change is a good thing. I don’t like it either, but I know it is necessary for growth. Kudos to you for making tough choices, but doing what is best for you!

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear — October 5, 2010 @ 11:31 pm

Happy Anniversary! :)

MelissaNibbles — October 6, 2010 @ 1:39 am

Happy Anniversary! I really like strength training on my own in my spare bedroom. No dvds or anything, just making up my own routines. Investing in a good set of weights was better than buying a bunch of dvds.

Kristy — October 6, 2010 @ 4:37 am

Yes! Yes! Yes! Keep your head high chicka!

Kara @ MyWellnest — October 6, 2010 @ 4:44 am

Happy Anniversary!

Mr. How Sweet It Is — October 6, 2010 @ 5:45 am

We are one very tanned couple. Golden bronze, if I do say so myself.

• Jessica — October 6th, 2010 @ 6:14 am

I know, right? Snooki has some competition.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention The First Change. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: A New Gig. | How Sweet It Is