I’ve alluded to it in the past, but I have quite an obsession with makeup and beauty products. I’ve been fascinated with it ever since I was young, when most of my time was spent with my head buried inside Seventeen magazine. I am a firm believer in wearing a little bit of makeup, especially with a pop of color. However, I’m sure there were many times my parents were embarrassed to be seen with me and that I looked like a clown.

I’m afraid to even show you my entire collection for fear of you never returning. Maybe sometime soon. Baby steps…

These are just a few of my favorites.

I love everything MAC. I mean… everything.  But these are my 3 favorite eye colors at the moment. That would be contrast, hepcat and talent pool. I remember a few girls making fun of me in high school for wearing purple eyeshadow. That wasn’t very nice.

This is the moisturizer I use everyday after washing my face. Love it – it is not greasy at all. I hate when things feel “heavy” on my face, so much so that I don’t even wear any kind of foundation.

Mascara would be my go-to beauty product – I usually don’t leave the house without it. Zoom lash is my current favorite – I’ve been using it for about 2.5 years. Which means they will probably discontinue it soon.

While we’re on the topic of mascara, here is another product I adore.

I absolutely love single false lashes. They look incredible when applied correctly. For the last 6 years, I’ve used 3-4 on the end of each lash, then build up the lashes on the inside with mascara. The only thing I don’t recommend is wearing these if you plan on swimming (duh), exercising or drinking so much that you don’t know who you are. That may have happened to me once… and some of you have even witnessed it.

I bring a new meaning to the word pale. And not in that creamy, peaches-and-cream skin kind of way. More like that really translucent, I-can-see-your-blood-vessels kind of way. This is the only bronzer that doesn’t turn me orange. I don’t use it everyday, so one compact lasts me about a year.

I have no idea if this really helps me, but it is nice and not greasy. It makes me feel better about the impending doom that will one day set itself upon my under eyes.

This skin regenerating serum makes your face feel like silk. Smooth as a baby’s bottom, I tell ya. And it lasts forever. It’s pricey, but a little bit goes a long way.

I really have nothing to say here except that I am obsessed with lip gloss.

Now tell me… what are your go-to beauty products? I’m always up for wasting money on as many products as I can trying new things

77 Responses to “These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things.”

Katy(Balanced Foodie) — October 18, 2010 @ 1:35 pm

Bahaha, please please please tell me there was a cryptic shout out in there for me and some other fabulous ladies! ;) Love this, you and your purple eyeshadow. ;)

• Jessica — October 18th, 2010 @ 1:40 pm

Oh yes. You nailed it. Hahahaha.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — October 18, 2010 @ 1:36 pm

ok seriously my best friend in college said the same thing – she adores MAC! i’m more of a mascara kind of gal, but if i were to wear fancy makeup it would be MAC :)

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — October 18, 2010 @ 1:38 pm

I just recently got into Bare Essentials. I LOVE how it feels like I have nothing on my face and also LOVE that you can decide to put on ‘one coat’ for a LIGHT coverage look or 3 layers for a more flawless look. SO COOL! Their bronzer ROCKS. And so does the mineral mask. Also REALLY love that it is all natural… SO good for the skin. I was a MAC girl (still love the eye colors!!!), then a Prescriptives (loved their sutom blends) and now I’m a B.E. diva ;D

• Jessica — October 18th, 2010 @ 1:40 pm

I tried Bare Essentials a few times and just couldn’t get into it. Maybe I need to give it another go.

• Talia @ Texas Gunslinger — October 19th, 2010 @ 6:47 am

Yes, girl, you’ve got to give Bare Minerals another try! I ♥ the stuff! Been using for 5 years:)

Jenna — October 18, 2010 @ 1:40 pm

Hi, just recently started reading your blog. Love all your recipe posts, but this post is great! I love all things MAC too. Especially the eyeshadows and lipglosses! But my favorite mascara right now is the DiorShow. You should check it out if they discontinue the MAC one.

• Jessica — October 18th, 2010 @ 1:42 pm

I will check it out – I’m always looking for a backup!

Lauren at KeepItSweet — October 18, 2010 @ 1:40 pm

i never do fake lashes myself, but they are so fun! i loved having them for my wedding:-)

Chicago Cuisine Critique — October 18, 2010 @ 1:41 pm

I love Neutrogena’s lip gloss line. Each of them have a cooling agent in them and make your lips tingle. I love the feeling. Especially in the cold months!

• Jessica — October 18th, 2010 @ 1:46 pm

Oh I love those too!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — October 18, 2010 @ 1:43 pm

I love liquid eyeliner. I’ve become a pseudo-pro at putting it on (only have to re-do it once, lol) and I love how it defines my eyes. Oh-and then tinted moisturizer. I don’t like how cakey foundation makes me look.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — October 18, 2010 @ 1:44 pm

I am a big MAC lover too! You just reminded me that I’m running dangerously low on blush at the moment so I’ll have to fix that situation soon! My other faves are Kiehl’s lip balm, Vichy dermablend foundation and Rimmel bronzer. Rimmel is cheap but it still does a good job!

• Jessica — October 18th, 2010 @ 1:45 pm

What is your favorite MAC blush? I have actually had a hard time finding one I love. I think at the moment I have Blush Baby and Peachy Keen. I tend to like more pinks.

• Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — October 18th, 2010 @ 2:38 pm

I tend to go for the pinks as well. Right now I’m using Peachy Keen which is a little more coral-y than I’d normally wear, but I still like it. I’ve also used Dainty which was good too. I searched for a swatch of them side-by-side to show you but I can’t find one! (I’d take a photo but my Dainty is long gone!)

Kristina @ spabettie — October 18, 2010 @ 1:45 pm

GAAH ! see, you DID post yours before me! ;)

I love MAC… I have all of those colors. I love the lip-glass… I have no idea if they even still make it, but having an esthetics license I get a FABOO discount, and have stockpiled all the old MAC I could ever want…

you should come over and play. :D

Jenny@boxandb — October 18, 2010 @ 1:46 pm

I love Mac makeup too. But my go to product is Purpose facial cleanser. I can not go to bed with makeup on my face…it makes me feel *ick*

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) — October 18, 2010 @ 1:50 pm

I love makeup. If I never bought another product, I would still have enough for two lifetimes. Mac is one of my favorites…their lip glosses are the best!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — October 18, 2010 @ 1:53 pm

Look at you rockin’ the fake eyelashes! I think I’d poke my eye out trying to apply them :)

Mary (A Merry Life) — October 18, 2010 @ 1:53 pm

I love this post. I don’t have a ton of makeup nor do I wear it a lot but I love seeing what other people have. Promise that you will show your whole collection one day, because I would LOVE that.

• Jessica — October 18th, 2010 @ 1:54 pm

I promise. :)

Larie — October 18, 2010 @ 1:59 pm

Oooh, love! I have a bunch of different products, but I love Stila eyeshadows (bold colors, neutrals, everything!) and Urban Decay pencil liners. Also love liquid eyeliner – been using a Benefit one lately. Eye products are my favorite :) I love your bright shadows!!!

Emily — October 18, 2010 @ 2:00 pm

I actually started selling mark and avon skincare last year to try to help fund my college expenses,…….(having never used it before). and I actually love it! I was using MAC foundation and eyeshadow, but now I have found a great (and cheaper) equivilent with a lot of the avon and mark stuff. To be honest, I like a lot of it better than MAC, it doesn’t weigh my skin down at all, and I am really picky about my makeup/foundation.

• Jessica — October 18th, 2010 @ 2:15 pm

I had a client give me a bunch of Mark stuff one year and I loved it!

Kim — October 18, 2010 @ 2:10 pm

Hi Jessica, I love your blog and especially love this post! I was at the MAC counter yesterday and thought of you when I saw the new Venomous Villans collection. It seems right up your alley :) You have to show your entire makeup collection, we won’t judge…

Sara — October 18, 2010 @ 2:10 pm

I’m a big fan of Melaleuca’s products, including their makeup, which is actually Nicole Miller. I especially love how creamy and smooth their eye shadows are. I’m also a huge lip gloss junkie, but I don’t really like anything too sticky. I pretty much always have some new lip thing to try though. The latest one I bought was made by Palmer’s (you know the people who make the cocoa butter lotion?). It’s mint chocolate flavor and smells DIVINE.

• Jessica — October 18th, 2010 @ 2:14 pm

I need to get my hands on that.

MelissaNibbles — October 18, 2010 @ 2:18 pm

I thought the eyelash package was a birth control pill pack. I was like, yup I like those too…then I saw what it really was.

• Jessica — October 18th, 2010 @ 2:31 pm

LOL!

liane — October 18, 2010 @ 2:19 pm

I think we should start a makeup and skincare product hoarder support group, where we expose our collections of said products, while drinking wine and eating blondies.

As for my make up, I tend to have an assortment of a lot of different products– MAC, LORAC, NARS — and don’t stick to one brand for everything.

Shanna, like Banana — October 18, 2010 @ 2:22 pm

Makeup is such fun!

I totally thought your fake eyelashes were a pill pack ;)

Amy — October 18, 2010 @ 2:35 pm

I’m a product junkie too. Purple eyeshadow is awesome, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise! I feel like I’ve found a kindred spirit in you, love this blog!

• Jessica — October 18th, 2010 @ 2:37 pm

Aw, thank you!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — October 18, 2010 @ 2:41 pm

I’m a little obsessed with make-up and beauty products as well (and nail polish, and shoes, and oh let’s just say I love a lot of things). My go-to beauty products for now (because they are constantly changing) – Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer and undereye concealer, Bobbi Brown cream blush, Dior eyeshadow palette in Incognito, and Dior Extase mascara. When I want a more intense eye, I use Shu Uemura gel liner but I’m running out and have been thinking of getting MAC.
    PS – so glad to find a fellow Seventeen-lover! I actually used to work for Seventeen (and Cosmo) :)

• Jessica — October 18th, 2010 @ 2:58 pm

You said it – mine are constantly changing too!

Untypically Jia — October 18, 2010 @ 2:41 pm

I can’t survive without a massive selection of red lipstick/gloss. It’s a daily need.

You should blog about how to put those eyelashes on.

Stephanie — October 18, 2010 @ 2:56 pm

I have never used Mac products before after reading this I think I might give it a try!! By the way I happen to love purple eyeshadow :)

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — October 18, 2010 @ 3:22 pm

Lip gloss is my #1 must have for beauty products. I hate feeling my lips dry.

Mansee — October 18, 2010 @ 3:48 pm

Love this. When I grow up (aka graduate college and get a real job with a real paycheck), I can’t wait to start buying MAC products! That purple eyeshadow is gorgeous, and I’m super intrigued to see how you use that middle color (it looks red to me?). I’d ask you to take a picture of you wearing it but that would just be creepy….

mandy gross — October 18, 2010 @ 4:00 pm

I am a complete MAC addict! I own so much more makeup than all of my close friends combined. Everyone always comes over to my house before they have a date or go out just to have me do their makeup or just to use it! It’s funny! I love it so much! MAC is the best and I am constantly buying something from there. It’s all I use.

Chrissy — October 18, 2010 @ 4:19 pm

I don’t really wear a lot of makeup, usually just light foundation and mascara. But I love my hands- they are long and skinny (ring size 4) and I LOVE dressing them up with nail polish. I’m obsessed with nail polish.

Lindsay — October 18, 2010 @ 4:21 pm

As a makeup obsessed makeup artist/blogger, words can’t express how much I loved this post! I’m also a MAC-junkie, and loved peeking into your collection. I, too, would love to see it all. I’m sure it’d be quite drool-worthy!

Thank you for posting this!

Zerique — October 18, 2010 @ 4:48 pm

i love mascara. I wear it everyday. I am addicted to lip gloss since I never really figured out how to wear lipstick. I really wish I could pull off lipstick. Are there tutorials on that?

Wei-Wei — October 18, 2010 @ 5:03 pm

Bahhh, I’m 15 and I still haven’t gotten into makeup yet. Maybe there’s something wrong with me :D But I’m mad at makeup in general. Heh.

Leigh — October 18, 2010 @ 5:22 pm

Love your blog, love this post! Where else can bacon junkies discuss their favorite beauty products?!

Fellow beauty junkie here! A few favorites – Nars blush in Orgasm, Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer, Diorshow mascara, Stila lip glaze (the only non-sticky gloss I have found). Lately I’m obsessed with liquid eyeliner and doing a little retro cat’s eye look. Anybody have a liquid liner to recommend?

Sarah — October 18, 2010 @ 5:38 pm

I am also a MAC fan, but more so of the neutrals…I am not good at application, so they are more forgiving! I am a BareMinerals devotee as far as makeup and I am currently obesessed with Essie brand nail polish – I have invested in 5 shades in the past 2 weeks!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — October 18, 2010 @ 5:39 pm

i LOVE those colors! i want you to come do my makeup! i am so boring/bad when it comes to that!! i do never leave the house without black eyeliner, just a little bit to give my eyes a wake up call! I also swear by chanel mascara (i forget the name) I LOVE mac concelear and eyeshadows as well! nuetrogrena lotions/facewash and keihls products for my face are some of my favs!

Liz @ Blog is the New Black — October 18, 2010 @ 6:16 pm

We are totally soulmates. I used to spend ALL my money at Sephora. I own prettttty much everything from the Benefit collection, and I’m a big fan of the Bliss line, too. I wear purple eyeshadow (since high school as well!) and LOVE Dior Blackout Mascara… it’s amazing!!!!! I recently got La Mer lip balm- two thumbs down. I love LIP SUGAR- stuff is 50% the price of La Mer but 200% better!

• Jessica — October 18th, 2010 @ 6:28 pm

Good to know about La Mer – I’ve wanted to try La Mer forever!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — October 18, 2010 @ 6:37 pm

<3 makeup! Unfortunately, I kind of suck at doing my own! :)

I <3 mineral foundation, mary kay ultimate mascara, and bare escentuals lip plumping gloss!

Valerie from Sex, Food, and Rock & Roll — October 18, 2010 @ 6:37 pm

I currently love Benefit’s “Hello, Flawless!” face powder. It’s so light and makes your skin feel like velvet. Nevermind that it also does what it claims.

Jihane (Sinful Sundays) — October 18, 2010 @ 6:37 pm

I LOVE it! And I think purple eyeshadow is gangster…so forget those chicks.

I use all makeup—foundation, powders, lipstick, mascaras—everything.

I JUST got into blush and bronzers because I thought black women couldn’t wear them since we don’t get “rosy” or “glowy”. But if we do it right it looks nice!

I bought those lashes and tried to put them on with the glue, but it wasn’t working for me. I’m going to keep practicing though cause I think lashes can really open up your eyes.

I loved this posting! :)

becky — October 18, 2010 @ 7:14 pm

I just bought the best concealer I’ve ever used. Much of my makeup is MAC, but their concealer makes me break out really bad. I now use Tarte’s The Eraser 4 in 1 Concealer. I stumbled upon it at Sephora. I love it more than I ever imagined. I use my MAC 190 brush to put it on. :)

Evonne — October 18, 2010 @ 7:45 pm

I used Clinique for many years, but I noticed that as I got closer to 35, it tended to accentuate my fine lines under my eyes. It also began to irritate my skin and cause breakouts. I tried Bare Escentuals, but I had a nightmare experience! It contains an ingredient called Bismuth Sulfate that is a well known allergen. The bismuth sulfate is what gives the make up that shiny, glowly look. Anyways, it caused me to break out in hives and my face felt like it was on fire! I went to a local cosmetologist and she tried a different mineral foundation on me. The company that makes it is called Afterglow Cosmetics. You can find them online. Anyways, when she applied the mineral foundation, I instantly felt it soothe my skin. I love that the powder is matte and that I don’t look shiny. The coverage is amazing! I also love that it doesn’t accentuate my little wrinkles. It is amazing stuff! The best thing about it is that since I started using Afterglow, my face is the clearest that it has ever been. If you are looking to try something new, I highly suggest it.

Caitlin — October 18, 2010 @ 7:51 pm

Confession: eye shadow scares me. Seriously. I don’t wear it because I always feel too overdone. I need a how-to!

Krista (kristastes) — October 18, 2010 @ 8:33 pm

I use that bronzer! Love. I have had mine for like 4 years though…time to replace?? haha. I think I look odd with eyeshadow even though I wish it looked better on me…but I always wear blue eyeliner and mascara to work and out on the town :) I love fun colors!

Kristy — October 19, 2010 @ 4:37 am

I’m a MAC junkie! I stay close to warm darker colors. BTW: False lashes terrify me but then bring out extreme curiosity! :-)

Kat — October 19, 2010 @ 5:22 am

I love mac! As for my favs, I just adore Bare Essentials line, Tint for cheeks, and in the summer I don’t go anywhere without some primer!

Amanda — October 19, 2010 @ 5:26 am

Oh dear. I do not own one single of these products. And I hardly ever wear makeup. But I would LOVE to try false eyelashes!!!! Have always been fascinated with those!

Kacy — October 19, 2010 @ 6:27 am

I love, love, loved your eye makeup. I’ve never been able to do creative makeup, because I suck at it but I love when people do really fun eye looks.

I don’t have many beauty go-to’s. I’m cheap, and don’t wear much makeup and I hate lip gloss because it gets stuck in my hair. But I may have to try some of these!

• Jessica — October 19th, 2010 @ 6:39 am

Aw thanks! I have that problem too though – hair blowing into my lip gloss… lol.

Kim in MD — October 19, 2010 @ 6:43 am

I love MAC, too. My favorite blush color is STRADA…it looks great on every skin tone! I don’t like liquid foundation, either…too gloppy. I use Jane Iredale pressed mineral foundation. I had a mole removed from my nose several years ago, and my surgeon reccomended it. It is the only line of cosmetics that he reccomends for patients that have facial surgery. I am fair skinned (aka “pale”), and I love the Natural color. It is light, natural and has an SPF 20.I apply it with the dome brush, which I love-it is the greatest brush ever!Here are the links if you want to check it out!

kyla — October 19, 2010 @ 6:48 am

Bare Essentials makeup. That stuff…wow. It’s so light and not greasy. My skin actually looks better since I’ve been wearing it!

I also love Covergirl lash blast mascara, Clinique eyeliner and lipstick, and Lorac eyeshadow. Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser(not the regular, the gentle stuff) is AWESOME. My 77 year old grandmother has been using it for over 30 years and her skin looks incredible.

Talia @ Texas Gunslinger — October 19, 2010 @ 6:52 am

I’m ♥’n this post! I love MAC, but not their foundations. They always feel like I’m wearing a clown mask HA! I wear Bare Minerals powder foundations and just tried the new Buxom eyeshadows and they are AMAZING! To me they rival MACs creme eye shadows:)

I will say that MAC is THE place to go for all things Lips, Eyes and Cheeks. It’s just too bad I can’t wear their foundation, but it really feels icky on me for some reason. I so want to see a pic of your “stash” HA! :)

Diane — October 19, 2010 @ 7:00 am

I love everything make up, but I try not to get too out of control w/ my stash. For example, I try to use every last morsel of mascara before I buy another one.

I recently purchased Smashbox’s “The Gold List” and am eagerly awaiting its delivery. I’ve never had anything Smashbox before, so I’ll see if it measures up to all its reviews.

Oh, and I’m wearing purple eyeshadow and plum liner today and I look FAB-U-LOUS! :)