That’s quite a mouthful up there, eh? But I couldn’t leave anything out. I needed you to know just exactly every flavor that went into this delicious squash. Trust me. It deserves the attention.

This isn’t your typical, boring baked acorn squash. It is bursting with sweet flavor and spicy nutmeg – it could even be used as a dessert!

I know what you’re thinking. Since when does this blog tout a vegetable as a dessert?

Well friends, when you load enough butter and sugar onto something, anything can become a dessert. Plus, it’s not these veggies that I dislike. It’s those gross, fibrous tree-like ones such as broccoli. Squash falls into the potato category in my eyes.

This recipe below is for one acorn squash, but you could use the same amount for two or three, and just leave out the butter-filled swimming pool in the middle.

Why on earth anyone would want to do that is beyond me, but it can be done. I, on the other hand, will be bathing in the butter pool.

Vanilla Bourbon Baked Balsamic Acorn Squash

1 acorn squash

1/3 cup maple syrup

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (I used vanilla bean)

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 tablespoons bourbon

2 tablespoons butter

few pinches of nutmeg

Preheat oven to 375.

In a bowl, mix syrup, vinegar, lemon juice, vanilla and bourbon together. Cup acorn squash in half and brush mixture on top with a pastry brush. Set squash cut side up in a baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes.

Remove from oven and brush mixture over squash again. Pour remaining mixture into each squash cavity equally. Top with 1 tablespoon butter each and a sprinkle of nutmeg. Bake for 20 more minutes.

Note: If you want to try some vanilla bean vinegar, click here and use coupon code howsweet10 for a discount on your order!

I may start adding this glaze to all my vegetables. I’m sure it’s the “bourbon” part that helps it go down the pipe.

70 Responses to “Vanilla Bourbon Baked Balsamic Acorn Squash.”

Wei-Wei — October 11, 2010 @ 4:04 am

Mmm. This looks amazing. Could you use any other kind of squash?

• Jessica — October 11th, 2010 @ 4:08 am

I’m sure!

Christie - Honoring Health — October 11, 2010 @ 4:05 am

I have been on a major squash kick lately, butternut squash is in abundance at my CSA and I have been eating it all kinds of ways. This way looks particularly tasty.

Krystina — October 11, 2010 @ 4:17 am

Vanilla bean balsamic sounds like heaven.

Katrina — October 11, 2010 @ 4:23 am

Great idea to use bourbon! This sounds sooo tasty.

Lauren — October 11, 2010 @ 4:25 am

I LOVE winter squash, and this dessert-y acorn squash looks ah-mazing :).

Estela @ Weekly Bite — October 11, 2010 @ 4:30 am

Wow Jessica! This looks and sounds incredible!

Lauren at KeepItSweet — October 11, 2010 @ 4:41 am

hmmm i just happen to have an acorn squash sitting min my kitchen;-)

Tabitha (From Single to Married) — October 11, 2010 @ 4:55 am

mmmm…. looks amazing!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — October 11, 2010 @ 5:02 am

I am so all over this!

Cara — October 11, 2010 @ 5:11 am

That looks amazing!
    I think I would be tempted to toss in a scoop of vanilla ice cream!

Amalia — October 11, 2010 @ 5:13 am

vanilla and bourbon…<3 sounds like something I would order! and a pool of BUTTER? are you KIDDING me? I'm gonna move to this site. And I'm afriad i won't be able to come back cause I wont fit through the doors.

Thanks though! (:

-Amalia

Erica — October 11, 2010 @ 5:33 am

Squash does well both savory and sweet. We do have ours more like a dessert with maple syrup, but I like the other flavors you added here too. And the outcome is just gorgeous. I bet this would be really good with a gold acorn squash as well.

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather — October 11, 2010 @ 5:40 am

Wow! I want this dessert right now for breakfast please.

Evan Thomas — October 11, 2010 @ 5:45 am

Dear God this sounds great

Joslyn @ missfitbliss — October 11, 2010 @ 5:49 am

This makes my acorn squash dish look like dry broccoli in comparison! Brilliant to add the alcohol – doesn’t that make everything better?

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — October 11, 2010 @ 5:52 am

Wow, this does look dessert-worthy…especially if you added some ice cream :-)

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies — October 11, 2010 @ 5:52 am

Mmm – this looks delicious!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — October 11, 2010 @ 5:55 am

Oh good lord – this looks FABULOUS!!!

Kim in MD — October 11, 2010 @ 5:56 am

YUM! Is it bad that I want this for breakfast? ;-)

Bec — October 11, 2010 @ 5:59 am

Yes! My boyfriend might actually eat squash if there’s bourbon in it. Genius. Thank you.

salah@myhealthiestlifestyle — October 11, 2010 @ 6:09 am

HOLY YUM!!! I love squash!!!

the blissful baker — October 11, 2010 @ 6:37 am

this looks great! acorn squash is my favorite :) i love it because it even tastes delicious when it is roasted plain. i made an acorn squash soup the other day that was amazinggg

Tracy — October 11, 2010 @ 7:04 am

I still have an acorn squash left and now I know exactly what to do with it. Yum!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — October 11, 2010 @ 7:15 am

oh my soul. i don’t even have words…except that i want to bathe in a pool of butter as well.

marla {family fresh cooking} — October 11, 2010 @ 7:18 am

Wish so much that you were at BlogHer Food with us this weekend. You were missed. This acorn squash looks amazing & I would never skip the “pool.” xo

• Jessica — October 11th, 2010 @ 7:33 am

Aw thanks. :) I would have given anything to go. Hopefully next year!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — October 11, 2010 @ 7:39 am

vanilla bean vinegar?!?! omg omg omg I need this stuff in my life!! its still a bit pricey for me right now I wish there was a store in boston I could get it in!!! with shipping its about 25 dollars :(

happy late anniversery to you and mr how sweet!! the cornbread looked AMAZING! that is one of my biggest weaknesses!! if you ever want to take a short cut, Trader Joes mix is delicious! i sometimes add real corn to it too!!

xoxox

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — October 11, 2010 @ 8:02 am

I would like that first picture as a print in my new kitchen!

barefootgirl27 — October 11, 2010 @ 8:09 am

could this BE any more amazing????

Yum Yucky — October 11, 2010 @ 8:30 am

Well, I’ve never had acorn squash. And I’m too young to buy bourbon. Just check my ID.

Kelly — October 11, 2010 @ 8:36 am

It may be a mouthful, but it sounds like an amazing flavor combo.

Nancy — October 11, 2010 @ 8:42 am

OMG not quite like my Mom used to make, looks like I’m baking acorn squash this week.

Ashley — October 11, 2010 @ 8:51 am

WHAT. Are you for real with this recipe? Love the shot w/the pad of butter…mm mmm mmmm

ashton keefe — October 11, 2010 @ 8:52 am

I love your site, have been meaning to tell you! I follow you on Food Buzz and I think you’d like my blog, since we’re both sweets girls with a passion for ALL things food! Let me know if you do!

Jessica@tastyandtrim — October 11, 2010 @ 9:14 am

I love acorn squash! I’m boring though and usually just bake it with a little bit of kosher salt. This looks MUCH better. Can’t wait to try it :)

Alexia — October 11, 2010 @ 10:16 am

what an interesting concoction! i’m certainly not brave enough!

Jenny — October 11, 2010 @ 10:22 am

Unique idea! : ) Looks delicious!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — October 11, 2010 @ 10:40 am

Oddly, acorn squash is one of my least favorites, but I am thinking if I try your way…it will be my favorite! YUM!

Paige @ Running Around Normal — October 11, 2010 @ 11:17 am

Nope, I believe you shouldn’t have left anything out of the title either! Sounds freaking amazing. I’m going to include the link in my “Seasonal” tab :)

Emily @ For Sweets Sake — October 11, 2010 @ 11:37 am

I bought an acorn squash yesterday just because I thought it looked cool haha I might have to try making this with it :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — October 11, 2010 @ 11:38 am

That sounds like an amazing combo! I can’t get enough winter squash lately, I love it. YUM :)

Blond Duck — October 11, 2010 @ 12:37 pm

I love summer squash, but I’ve never tried acorn squash.

Fit Chick in the City — October 11, 2010 @ 12:50 pm

umm… that is inSANE!

homecookedem — October 11, 2010 @ 12:55 pm

What a gorgeous acorn squash recipe! I bet the vanilla is a great flavor combined with the squash, awesome!! :)

Megan (Braise The Roof) — October 11, 2010 @ 2:04 pm

I have an acorn squash waiting for me on my counter and I was going to make it for dinner tonight, but now I want to make it for dessert! And if you’re going to roast acorn squash, I also don’t understand why anyone would leave out the butter pool. It’s important.

Rene Rodgers — October 11, 2010 @ 2:34 pm

I now want acorn squash, but its 90 degrees today!

I do something similar, but with less ingredients. We just sprinkle in some brown sugar, a pat of butter and some brandy then pop it in the oven.

I’m going to have to put some vanilla in my version!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — October 11, 2010 @ 3:18 pm

i love anything with bourbon vanilla + brown sugar!
    i made my vegan bananas foster today with it and my softserve. love that stuff. I keep TJ’s in biz with it.

GREAT recipe!!!

Ingrid — October 11, 2010 @ 3:22 pm

This looks delicious! I love acorn squash, but never tried it like this! Yum!

Lauren — October 11, 2010 @ 5:08 pm

Oh. My. Gosh!!! Could there be a more perfect pairing of a vegetable and liquor? :)

Katie — October 11, 2010 @ 6:11 pm

holy mackerel – that glaze against the color of the squash is the most photogenic thing in the world! I bet it tastes unreal, too.

Maris (In Good Taste) — October 11, 2010 @ 6:30 pm

Acorn squash is just the best and this glaze sounds so good….you’re smart to put it on veggies since I would probably put it on a cake or something ;)

1. Pingback: Calories Blog » Blog Archive » 59 Cheap Thanksgiving Recipes That Are Also, Coincidentally, 59 Healthy Thanksgiving Recipes

2. Pingback: A Fun Foodie Gift | How Sweet It Is