Hold on to your bacon, folks. This is one of two recipes that I will be sharing this week that include brussels sprouts. I think I’ve been abducted by aliens.

I can handle a dish a like this because… let’s be honest – onions get sweet, apples get sweet, squash is basically like a potato, which I hardly can compare to a green veggie, and when things are sweet, I eat them. I devour them.

It’s super simple too. Roast the goods, throw a handful of cheese on top, a pinch of fresh, chopped parsley, and you’re good to go. I roasted my squash, apples and onions with pumpkin seed oil to give it an extra kick, but I think olive oil would work perfectly too.
Toasted pumpkin seeds sprinkled on top would also be delicious. I had a big bowl on hand, but I… forgot them. I’m getting old. Don’t worry, I ate them all anyway.

Warm Autumn Salad

serves 4

1 small butternut squash, chopped

2 apples, chopped (I used gala)

1/2 red onion, chopped

1 cup chopped brussels sprouts

2 tablespoons olive oil (I used pumpkin seed oil)

1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

1/4 teaspoon cardamom

chopped parsley for garnish

salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Lay chopped squash, apples, brussels sprouts and onions on a baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and add cardamom, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly. Roast for 45-50 minutes, tossing every 15 minutes.

Remove vegetables and let cool for 5 minutes. You want them to be warm, but not piping hot. Add veggies to a bowl and combine with feta and chopped parsley. Serve immediately.

I think this would pair nicely with some crusty bread and butter on the side. I have leftovers, so I may serve it with pork chops later this week. And yes… Mr. How Sweet will be eating it.

90 Responses to “Warm Autumn Salad.”

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — October 25, 2010 @ 4:13 am

This looks awesome – I am a big fan of huge plates of roasted veggies. I’m surprised you’re still breathing after all those veggies. Are you okay?

Liz @ Blog is the New Black — October 25, 2010 @ 4:16 am

This looks great! Nice way to “sneak” veggies!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — October 25, 2010 @ 4:17 am

Love this!! All my favorite food are in this salad!

Can’t wait to try it :)

Wei-Wei — October 25, 2010 @ 4:21 am

Hold on to your BAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCONNNNNNNN! JESSICA’S GONE INSAAANE!

Lauren — October 25, 2010 @ 4:23 am

YUM. I love every single ingredient you used in this salad! Roasting does wonders for veggies :).

Mara @ What's For Dinner? — October 25, 2010 @ 4:30 am

Gorgeous!! I gotta say, it’s very odd seeing this many veggies on your site… but I kinda like it! At least I know that the recipes are FABULOUS! :)

marla {family fresh cooking} — October 25, 2010 @ 4:34 am

This big plate of roasted goodies looks amazing. Nice touch to add the apple and cardamom in there. What’s with all this healthy eating girl!? :) Love it!!

Tabitha (From Single to Married) — October 25, 2010 @ 4:39 am

Looks very tasty, brussels sprouts and all! :)

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — October 25, 2010 @ 4:43 am

Nice! That is just beautiful!

Lauren at KeepItSweet — October 25, 2010 @ 4:51 am

i could eat this as an entire meal, yum!

Heather — October 25, 2010 @ 4:56 am

jessica? are you in there? i don’t recognize this veggie-eating version… ;)

Kim in MD — October 25, 2010 @ 5:27 am

Hold on to your bacon…ha ha! :-) This is one gorgeous Fall salad, Jessica! I am personally very proud of your new love for (some) vegetables! What cracks me up is that you love brussels sprouts. Most people I know don’t like them! I love brussels sprouts, especially roasted, but my I am the only person in my family that will eat them!

• Jessica — October 25th, 2010 @ 6:03 am

I know! It is so weird, especially since kale is another one I like that most people hate. I’m weird.

Krystina (Organically Me) — October 25, 2010 @ 5:28 am

I love the addition of cardamom to this.

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — October 25, 2010 @ 5:37 am

Incredible! I’ll be making this one, my dear!

Erica — October 25, 2010 @ 5:40 am

:) I think you secretly love veggies. You can tell us, its ok ;) Roasted veggies topped with feta? I’m in. Fantastic weeknight meal.

amanda @ fake ginger — October 25, 2010 @ 5:49 am

That looks so delicious! I wonder if I could convince my husband to eat it.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — October 25, 2010 @ 5:51 am

SO beautiful!!! I’m going to bring this to a potluck next week!

Matt — October 25, 2010 @ 5:52 am

I LOVE roasted veggies! Totally making this :)

Jenna — October 25, 2010 @ 6:01 am

You are turning a new leaf lady! Don’t forget where you came from though. ;) Just kidding! This looks really wonderful. I’ve never heard of pumpkin seed oil, where do you get such a thing?

• Jessica — October 25th, 2010 @ 6:02 am

I got it from http://www.fustinis.com. It is delish! You can use the code howsweet10 and get a discount on your order.

Evan Thomas — October 25, 2010 @ 6:02 am

Yummm! Pass a fork and a bowl and I’m all over that.

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete — October 25, 2010 @ 6:04 am

This looks so good — I love roasted veggies and adding the apple sounds delicious!

Kath — October 25, 2010 @ 6:16 am

What a beautiful, colorful salad! I’d love to have it for lunch today.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — October 25, 2010 @ 6:24 am

Wow Jess, you have come a long way in the veggie department since I started reading your blog! Love the squash/apple/Brussels sprouts combo – 3 of my favourite things at this time of year!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — October 25, 2010 @ 6:26 am

I made something like this last night, though I never would have thought to add apples. Yummy!

Diane — October 25, 2010 @ 6:31 am

This looks very similar to a dish I recently prepared from the Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook. Roasted winter veggies. Maybe I can add an apple next time for a little kick.

Tracy — October 25, 2010 @ 6:49 am

I love warm salads, and this one looks especially inviting! Especially now that you’ve turned me on to Brussels sprouts! :-)

Sarah — October 25, 2010 @ 6:59 am

I lOVE your recipes- this looks so delicious!

Kelly — October 25, 2010 @ 7:00 am

That looks wonderful!!

Camille — October 25, 2010 @ 7:10 am

I love fall meals like this. Perfect!

Kat — October 25, 2010 @ 7:21 am

holy veggies….does your husband eat this? my (toddler) hubs would probably just make faces at it

• Jessica — October 25th, 2010 @ 7:22 am

My husband actually likes veggies. Though, the other day I asked him what his favorite was and he said it was corn. That doesn’t really count.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — October 25, 2010 @ 7:24 am

OMG this is the most perfect side dish for thanksgiving!! im showing it to my mom, she would make that in a split second!

pumpkin seed oil?? sounds delicious!

Kelly — October 25, 2010 @ 7:56 am

Mmmm. This looks so delicious and fresh. Yes, you may have been abducted by aliens, but given your cheesey, potatoey pizza yesterday I think I can overlook the moment of vegetables.

Mary (Sisters Running the Kitchen) — October 25, 2010 @ 8:07 am

wow ! this looks incredible!! I need to make this! Perfect way to make use of the fall produce!

Susan — October 25, 2010 @ 8:36 am

Holy crap that looks delicious. I’m definitely bookmarking this one. Thanks Jessica!

Moni'sMeals — October 25, 2010 @ 8:40 am

My type of Fall salad. It is stunning to look at on top of it. :)

Camille — October 25, 2010 @ 9:01 am

Looks so comforting!

Jessica@tastyandtrim — October 25, 2010 @ 9:10 am

I love the combo of butternut squash and apple! This dish looks delicious. It may just appear as a side-dish on my Thanksgiving table :)

Megan (Braise The Roof) — October 25, 2010 @ 10:23 am

I never liked brussels sprouts until I started roasting them. When I was a kid, my parents would boil them whole and they tasted like B.O. (whatever that tastes like) Slicing them in half makes such a difference!

Hillary — October 25, 2010 @ 10:34 am

The colors in this dish are incredible. What a great Thanksgiving meal dish!

Katie — October 25, 2010 @ 10:44 am

Heck yes…this is the perfect autumn food. I love all of these veggies, and I’m so proud of you for eating brussles twice this week. ;-)

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — October 25, 2010 @ 10:45 am

Now this is my kind of salad. Love those vibrant fall colors and flavors, Jessica – I want to take a big bite right now! Thanks for sharing!

TheHealthyApron — October 25, 2010 @ 10:57 am

I made a butternut squash dish yesterday that included bacon and I thought of you…I will be blogging about it tomorrow so I hope you will tune in!
    ps. I love this dish! feta is my fav!

Blond Duck — October 25, 2010 @ 10:59 am

This looks better than the potato pizza!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — October 25, 2010 @ 11:10 am

this looks awesome and is TOTALLY mind kinda food! yummy!!!

the blissful baker — October 25, 2010 @ 11:20 am

beautiful salad! i love the colors

Yum Yucky — October 25, 2010 @ 11:45 am

uh huh. alien abduction fo-sho

Emily @Cleanliness — October 25, 2010 @ 12:04 pm

Trying with all of my might to not lick my computer screen!

Absolutely delish :-)

Brittany — October 25, 2010 @ 1:00 pm

This recipe looks amazing and since roasting is my favorite way to cook veggies I think I need to try it!

Bookmarked. ;)

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather — October 25, 2010 @ 1:11 pm

I am all over that pile of veggies. I love the addition of cardamon, nice touch!

christyn @ All Ways Nutritious — October 25, 2010 @ 1:51 pm

looks colorful and delicious!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Warm Autumn Salad. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Warm Autumn Salad

3. Pingback: What are you eating? « Karen Chatters

4. Pingback: Back in Favor | all-purpose and semi-sweet

5. Pingback: Back in Favor | all-purpose and semi-sweet

6. Pingback: 15 Of My Favorite Recipes For Fall! « The Teenage Taste

7. Pingback: Warm Autumn Salad | Four Season Gourmet

8. Pingback: Roasted Fall Vegetables | Military Spouse Dishes

9. Pingback: Thanksgiving Round-up 2013 | The Paleo Prize

10. Pingback: Best Friends Brunch | Buoy.