The other evening I was perusing my recent recipes and holding an intelligent conversation with myself regarding chocolate, bacon and side dishes.

And I decided that I was going to throw some cheese into my cornbread recipe, because everything needs cheese. Everything. Even cheese needs cheese.
And then I decided that I was going to try and make croutons from said cornbread, because I was bored and felt like setting the oven on fire. Which did happen, by the way.

The above pan is Mother Lovett’s. One of her old, ancient ones. I love using it. It makes me feel… warm and fuzzy. And old. Let’s not mention that it was in near-perfect condition before I got my hands on it. For the 30-40+ years it was in her possession, she kept it clean and spotless.
Once it made it into my house, it was destroyed in days, like all of my skillets and sheet pans. Mr. How Sweet does a number on my kitchen tools. You don’t even want to know. If it’s a non-stick pan, he sprays just enough non-stick spray on to ruin it. He leaves syrupy, thick general tso’s sauce on my pans. He scrapes and scratches my skillets with metal utensils. This simply means that I get new items often. And then the cycle continues.

I have gone out of my way to keep this tiny rectangular pan out of his hands. I love the size and it’s perfect for foods like croutons and toasted sandwiches.
Have you ever have cornbread croutons? I had not. They are brilliant. Maybe even more so since they are laced with sharp cheddar cheese. They are dense and salty and crunchy and mouth-watering delicious. I had originally intended them for use on a salad, but started to convulse when I thought about greens. So into a bowl of soup they went for me to devour them.

Cheddar Cornbread Croutons

1 batch cornbread + 1 cup cheddar cheese

Bake cornbread with cheddar cheese addition, let cool completely, and cut into chunks. Heat oven to 400 degrees and lay cornbread cubes on a baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, flipping once, or until golden brown and crispy.

Serve with salad or soup.

And what came of the bacon + chocolate conversation? You will have to wait and see.

73 Responses to “Cheddar Cornbread Croutons.”

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — November 15, 2010 @ 12:02 pm

Look at those GORGEOUS croutons! What a perfect addition to soup, salad…eaten on their own straight off the pan…cheesy bread-y goodness!

Erika [FoodFitnessFun] — November 15, 2010 @ 12:03 pm

I never even thought of making my own croutons before…but wow, cheddar cornbread. How can I resist! :-P

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — November 15, 2010 @ 12:05 pm

I have never thought about crouton cornbread before but it looks AWESOME!

Courtney — November 15, 2010 @ 12:06 pm

Yeah.. these croutons look amazing. I’m pretty sure I could devour them on their own! :)

Wei-Wei — November 15, 2010 @ 12:13 pm

Did you have a bacon/chocolate epiphany? I can’t wait to see it. Does it involve these croutons???? :D

Candy — November 15, 2010 @ 12:20 pm

You are amazing!!!!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — November 15, 2010 @ 12:22 pm

My mom used to send me spinach and feta croutons in lieu of cookies in care packages and I would eat them straight out of the bag. I have a feeling these wouldn’t even make it into a bag. I’d just eat them hot off the pan

Michele @ Healthy Cultivations — November 15, 2010 @ 12:24 pm

These look fantastic, and oh how cheesy, salty croutons are wonderful in soups. Great recipe!!!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — November 15, 2010 @ 12:30 pm

I truly love croutons! In my mind, they’re crackers. Can’t wait to make these :)

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — November 15, 2010 @ 12:32 pm

I can almost taste these from here. Almost. Can you move a little closer??

Erica — November 15, 2010 @ 12:40 pm

mmmm I bet those were awesome on soup. I have some old pans that I refuse to get rid of. They may not be pretty, but they are just the perfect size for certain recipes and just cook/bake so well. I especially love that this one has sentimental value :)

Stephanie — November 15, 2010 @ 12:49 pm

Phenomenal idea! Perfect for the colder weather, I love these. I bet they’d be fabulous atop a Southwestern style Caesar salad too!!!

• Jessica — November 15th, 2010 @ 2:15 pm

Oh I bet they would. I LOVE Caesar salads!

Pam — November 15, 2010 @ 12:50 pm

These look amazing! I had to laugh at the fire in the oven – I thought I was alone in this one! I can’t wait to try these – what is better than cornbread and cheese?

WenDee Riffe — November 15, 2010 @ 1:00 pm

ooooh~~these look FANTASTIC!!!!! i want to make these and i will!!!!!!!!!!

Kim in MD — November 15, 2010 @ 1:01 pm

How in the world did you set your oven on fire? :-) Well, the cornbread croutons look like they are SO worth it! :-)

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — November 15, 2010 @ 1:24 pm

Yum! Cheddar croutons are brilliant! Perfect for a bowl of chili or on top of salad for Thanksgiving. Love it!

CaSaundra — November 15, 2010 @ 1:27 pm

Mmm..I love cornbread, but somehow I’ve never thought of making croutons–silly me!

Lauren at KeepItSweet — November 15, 2010 @ 1:29 pm

this would be amazing for chili – i always top my chili with corn bread crumbles and cheddar cheese, but this is even better!

MelissaNibbles — November 15, 2010 @ 1:49 pm

Mmmm…I love cornbread anything.

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies — November 15, 2010 @ 1:59 pm

Ahhh – these look and sound amazing! A seriously perfect sounding crouton…though, I’ll admit, they might not make it into the actual bowl of soup before I stuff my face with them.

• Jessica — November 15th, 2010 @ 2:14 pm

Totally normal. Mine barely did!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — November 15, 2010 @ 2:14 pm

LOVE that last picture! I have never eaten cornbread, let alone cornbread croutons. i’m not sure why, I guess it has just not appealed to me in the past. In crouton form however… well that might just need to be done! :)

Rebecca - Thru Thin and Thick — November 15, 2010 @ 2:36 pm

that has me wondering if that is what that sticky film is around my almost new non-stick pans… too much spray!?

thoughts anyone?

• Jessica — November 15th, 2010 @ 2:40 pm

If you have a non-stick pan, it doesn’t need any non-stick spray! At least not for the first 100 uses or so, as long as it’s used properly.

• Rebecca - Thru Thin and Thick — November 15th, 2010 @ 4:03 pm

oh… man… oh well… at least its only the omelet pan, and they aren’t that expensive… thanks for the info!

Victoria (District Chocoholic) — November 15, 2010 @ 2:39 pm

Oh man. I don’t think I would be able to make these croutons. Because I would just eat all the cornbread first. Especially if I put bacon in there, too.

• Jessica — November 15th, 2010 @ 2:41 pm

Half the bread in my belly… other half made into croutons.

Joslyn @ missfitbliss — November 15, 2010 @ 2:45 pm

Yum! This is such a great idea – especially for people who can’t handle too much wheat. I may try these in a hearty winter salad.

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — November 15, 2010 @ 2:47 pm

I LOVE cornbread croutons! Polenta croutons are amazing too! Looks delicious!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — November 15, 2010 @ 3:27 pm

how do you know what i want to eat even before i do?!?!

RhodeyGirl — November 15, 2010 @ 3:30 pm

You’re killing us girl!

I have had to buy shredded cheddar every week since the infamous sweet potato skins. My husband is adding it to EVERYTHING! You have no idea how bad it is! And now I must make cheddar cornbread croutons too!!!!!

The cheddar addiction has reached an all time high.

Camille — November 15, 2010 @ 3:30 pm

Oh my gosh, these would be perfect on the chili I plan to eat today. Genius!

Tabitha (From Single to Married) — November 15, 2010 @ 3:39 pm

those look awesome, they look much better than store-bought!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — November 15, 2010 @ 3:40 pm

You had me at cornbread. Nothing can ever be bad when cornbread is around.

Jenna — November 15, 2010 @ 3:55 pm

You’re right, everything is better with cheese! And bacon of course!

• Jessica — November 15th, 2010 @ 5:28 pm

You read my mind.

Krystina (Basil & Wine) — November 15, 2010 @ 4:53 pm

I’ve never had cornbread croutons. And now I want them.

• Jessica — November 15th, 2010 @ 5:28 pm

You must make them!

Amanda — November 15, 2010 @ 5:18 pm

This just made my day. You are reading my belly. I mean mind. ;)

Megan (Braise The Roof) — November 15, 2010 @ 5:27 pm

There appear to be vegetables in your soup. I just thought you should know. :)

• Jessica — November 15th, 2010 @ 5:28 pm

Shhhh…

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather — November 15, 2010 @ 5:35 pm

Perfect way to use up extra corn bread! I love croutons :)

Kacy — November 15, 2010 @ 5:48 pm

My mom always used to do cheddar in her cornbread and now when I have plain cornbread I feel cheated. It’s so good! I bet those would be amazeballs in some chili.

Kristina @ spabettie — November 15, 2010 @ 6:05 pm

oh YUM… I have always added cheddar to my cornbread (unless I add goat cheese…) ;)

you have taken it to the next level with your genius… these croutons sound and look FABULOUS !!

Barb — November 15, 2010 @ 6:24 pm

Yummy! Canot wait to see where you go with the chocolate …

the blissful baker — November 15, 2010 @ 6:47 pm

i love homemade croutons, these look great!

Blond Duck — November 15, 2010 @ 7:22 pm

That would be awesome with chili!

Jenna — November 15, 2010 @ 7:30 pm

Yum! I’ve read about crouton-making experiences gone wrong before, but I have to admit I’m laughing inside at the thought of catching your oven on fire. =) Glad no lasting damage came from the experience! The croutons look delicious.

Leah @ Why Deprive? — November 15, 2010 @ 7:33 pm

You know, nomatter how hard I try, I cant think of a single thing that I dont think would taste better with cheese.

These croutons looks awesome, I kind of want to make soup just so I can have them.

Nicole, RD — November 15, 2010 @ 7:47 pm

Those look delicious! I just made some croutons last week, but I need to make more for my fresh Caesar salads…mmm!

Tangy — November 15, 2010 @ 8:37 pm

Why does cheese have to be so darn yummy?! It is making it really hard for me to cut out dairy and make my tummy happy! And being a midwestern girl, you better believe cheese was in every single meal I ever had growing up! haha Those croutons look yummy! I remember as a kid filling up my plate with croutons at the salad bar…no salad, just croutons ;)

• Jessica — November 15th, 2010 @ 9:08 pm

I still do that.

Ellen @FirednFabulous — November 15, 2010 @ 9:07 pm

Such a pretty pic! Cheese makes everything better…just like ketchup ;)

Mackenzie@ The Caramel Cookie — November 15, 2010 @ 9:15 pm

Great idea! Just in time for all the wonderful fall and winter soups!

Stephanie — November 15, 2010 @ 9:48 pm

Love this! J. Alexander’s has a salad w/cornbread croutons and they are to die for. I will definitely have to try this!

Shannon — November 15, 2010 @ 10:22 pm

The title of this post made me stop what I was doing and immediately read this!! And then I saw the pic of them onto of soup and I was like, “have to have now, thank you very much”!! They look great! Can’t wait to try, it’s finally getting soup weather here in Tennessee!!

Jenn L @ peas and crayons — November 15, 2010 @ 10:27 pm

Yum! Those look great! =) My husband also manages to destroy everything in his path. If I turn my back trouble will ensue. always!

omg and yes. cheese does need cheese. well put!

xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

Toni — November 15, 2010 @ 10:56 pm

These look amazing! I’ve never made cornbread before. Actually, i’m a little intimidated by the idea! But, I will have to try it out – it just looks soooo good!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Cheddar Cornbread Croutons | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com