The sun rises and sets on these scones. I promise.

While I usually prefer chewy, gooey cookies and fudgey brownies and fluffy cake and dense milk chocolate that melts in your mouth for dessert, sometimes a perfect scone fits the bill.

And by dessert, I mean breakfast. Because it doesn’t matter how much vanilla sauce you pour on or how many chocolate chips you stuff in, a scone is a scone is a scone, and a scone equals breakfast.
So please, go have dessert for breakfast.

I used my tried and true scone recipe that can convert even the biggest scone-hater. Trust me, I was one of them. I always had it in my head that scones were dry, crumbly and plain. Do you feel the same? Search no further.
These scones are like a triangular slice of dense cake, but super moist and bursting with melted chocolate. And I hate to admit this, but they aren’t super sweet either. I know most of you will enjoy that, while I will just wonder why you are so weird.

Not only can you have a delicious, dessert-like, spiced chocolate scone for breakfast, but it also makes a great snack with a cup of tea. Or something like that. I think tea tastes like dirty water, but did dip some in hot chocolate and it proceeded to melt in my mouth. Chocolate on chocolate. You can’t go wrong.

Chocolate Cinnamon Scones

1 cup buttermilk

1 teaspoon vanilla

3/4 cup chocolate chips

course sugar for garnish

melted butter for brushing

Preheat oven to 425.

In large bowl combine flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and cocoa powder. Cut in butter until it forms coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk and vanilla. Fold in chocolate chips. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently.

Divide in half and pat into 7 inch round circles. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Cut into 6 or 8 wedges.

Bake at 425 for 13-15 minutes.
Vanilla Sauce

from southern food

1/2 cup sugar

1 tablespoon cornstarch

1 cup boiling water

2 tablespoons butter

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

pinch of salt

Combine sugar and salt in a small saucepan. Stir in 1 cup boiling water. Let simmer, stirring constantly for 5 minutes. Stir in  butter, vanilla extract and salt and mix well. Serve over warm scones.

Are you hungry yet?

92 Responses to “Chocolate Cinnamon Scones with Vanilla Sauce.”

Julie (Bananas for Bourbon) — November 17, 2010 @ 6:06 pm

Wow chocolate scone and chocolate chips? Swoon! These look amazing. :)

Jenna — November 17, 2010 @ 6:22 pm

These would make a wonderful Scone Friday scone in my book! Talk about drool worthy.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — November 17, 2010 @ 6:47 pm

i have never been a HUGE fan of scones. Well let me rephrase that..if they dont have that dry crumbly-ness going on then they acutally may be one of my favorite treats, BUT its so hard to find moist scones! I want these now

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — November 17, 2010 @ 7:15 pm

These look heavenly, Jessica! I could definitely go for one right now. Thanks for sharing yet another delish recipe!

stephchows — November 17, 2010 @ 7:27 pm

hmmm thsi scone hater might just have to give these a try!

Anne Marie — November 17, 2010 @ 8:05 pm

Yum yum yum!! I’m starring an awful lot of your recipes in my reader lately :) Would you believe I’ve never made scones? I’m definitely going to have to put this on my to do list!

• Jessica — November 18th, 2010 @ 12:48 am

You must change that!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) — November 17, 2010 @ 10:29 pm

oh my – HOLY YUM!

Lindsey — November 17, 2010 @ 10:58 pm

literally was just saying at work that i wanted to bake something tonight (which happens like once a year)…and in trying to come up with the perfect thing to bake i said ‘wouldnt chocolate scones be great’….maybe with pumpkin…

and i come home and find this recipe…no pumpkin…but the cinnamon is the perfect Fall touch! so excited to make this tonight…fate.

• Jessica — November 18th, 2010 @ 12:45 am

Let me know if you make them. :)

Andrea — November 18, 2010 @ 12:25 am

Jessica. Dense, chocolate-bursting scones? With VANILLA SYRUP!? You’re killing me! I want to eat like you.

Annie@stronghealthyfit — November 18, 2010 @ 12:30 am

The bakery where I work makes mexican chocolate scones- they have cayenne and cinnamon (AND chocolate chips!). YUM. Yours look delicious too!

• Jessica — November 18th, 2010 @ 12:43 am

I should add some cayenne next time!

• cathie — August 22nd, 2013 @ 6:53 pm

I did I did!! lol delish!!! thanks to Annie@stronghealthyfit :) I also added cinnamon chips with the chocolate chips anddddd cayenne

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — November 18, 2010 @ 12:44 am

i want the vanilla sauce!!! omg there is nothing wrong with caro syrup, sugar, water, and heat…you can make soooo many great things, from caramels to vanilla sauce!

Hope life is calm for you. Mine isn’t but lots of good irons in the fire. Just slammmmmmmed busy! :)

Eliana — November 18, 2010 @ 2:09 am

If I have this for breakfast I won’t ever want to make it to lunch time.

Alicia — November 18, 2010 @ 2:11 am

Chocolate for breakfast…. yes please!

Emily [emily eats clean] — November 18, 2010 @ 3:11 am

YES I’m hungry now! Oh my goodness these look delish! I spent my entire afternoon baking today…..I wish I’d gotten my hands on this recipe sooner ’cause I would’ve made them today!! YUM!!!

Cara — November 18, 2010 @ 4:59 am

Love scones and love your version!

Elpi — November 18, 2010 @ 6:34 am

Wow! I want it now! Yummy!

justcooknyc — November 20, 2010 @ 4:28 am

ha, “scone hater”? is there such a thing?

Emily — February 27, 2011 @ 3:56 am

Is this a recipie that you could easily half?

Emily Deisler — April 9, 2013 @ 9:02 pm

First off- I love your blog with the great recipes and food styling. I am newly married and new in the kitchen and your blog has become my go-to cooking guide! About to bake these scones for a treat in the morning!

Hopie — April 23, 2013 @ 12:08 pm

Hi Jessica! Just tried this recipe out, and it’s gorgeous, I’m going to make it in full tomorrow – however, I don’t have any chocolate chips, only a big bar of baking chocolate. How many grams would I have to use in equivalent?

Cathie — August 22, 2013 @ 6:51 pm

You left out the baking powder with the dry ingredients :) I made these tonight and added 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, 1/2 cup each of chocolate chips and cinnamon chips..OMG DELISH!!! Thanks for the recipe :)

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Chocolate Cinnamon Scones with Vanilla Sauce | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Food Blog Holiday Recipes: Thanksgiving 2010 Round-Up & Fall Favorites — Family Fresh Cooking

3. Pingback: Maple Bacon Brown Sugar Scones | How Sweet It Is