Or… What In Tarnation Do I Do With All Those Mashed Potatoes On Friday?

Or even… Boring Recipes That Turn Out To Be Something Amazing.

(I like the second one better.)

There are a few meals my mom made that screamed “comfort food”. Certain meals that I can remember sitting down at the table to eat on cold, crisp nights. One of them was pot roast with egg noodles, mashed potatoes and gravy. Another was egg sandwiches with fried, chipped ham. And one of my favorites were these mashed potato pancakes.

She made these on nights when my dad wasn’t home for dinner because it was never really something he would go for. I can still remember exactly how delicious they smelled frying away on the stovetop.

Yesterday I asked her how she made them. I was fairly certain she didn’t just form plain old mashed potatoes into a patty.

Well, she almost did. She added a sprinkling of flour, then formed them into patties. And I chirped, “then you just fried them in butter, right?”

She laughed. Her next words were music to my ears. “Um, no… I fried them in bacon grease.”

Hey, at least you all know where I come from.

Would you believe that up until five years ago, I thought these were the only potato pancakes that existed? In fact, the first time I ordered potato pancakes at a restaurant and was served the latke version, I was disappointed. Those sure are tasty, but they are nothing like these. However, discovering the latkes were a relief… because I really couldn’t figure out how one ate applesauce or sour cream on a potato pancake like the ones here.

These just taste like home. The outsides are crispy and the insides fluffy. You can add toppings or dipping sauces. You can add tasty treats mixed throughout the pancakes. They make a fun side dish when mashed potatoes are getting old.

Mashed Potato Pancakes

serves 2

2 cups mashed potatoes

3 tablespoons flour

2 tablespoons bacon grease, butter or olive oil

Sprinkle flour on mashed potatoes, add in any mix-in’s and form into patties that are about 1 inch thick.

Heat a skillet on medium high heat. Add your fat of choice and let it heat for 30 seconds. Add patties and let brown on each side, about 3-4 minutes per side.

As expected, Mr. How Sweet covered his in ketchup.

114 Responses to “Mashed Potato Pancakes.”

Ellen@FirednFabulous — November 23, 2010 @ 5:44 pm

I’ve never had potato pancakes! And only 3 ingredients? I think I can do this one! I think I can, I think I can…

Savvy — November 23, 2010 @ 6:00 pm

What a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes! (As if there are ever any mashed taters left over ;D) I’d love this fried in olive oil with rosemary and sea salt for <3 yum.

Peggy — November 23, 2010 @ 6:10 pm

Now this is what I call comfort food! I love the crispy exterior and I’m sure it’s welcomed by the creamy soft inside! Oh man… I wonder how these would be with sweet potatoes??

Sheena @ theSheenBean — November 23, 2010 @ 6:47 pm

These look fantastic. My mom used to make something similar but would make a thin batter crepe and put the mashed potatoes mixed with cheese in it!

Ashley — November 23, 2010 @ 6:51 pm

Love this idea!! I’m sure it would work great with sweet taters too!

WenDee Riffe — November 23, 2010 @ 7:23 pm

mmm~~sounds really good with the BG!!! we make them with corn and finely diced sweet onion!!! we also fry them in BG!!!!! mud would be good fried in BG!!! or so thats what mom tells me!!!!LOL!!!

• Jessica — November 23rd, 2010 @ 7:58 pm

I agree with your mom. I’d probably eat mud that was fried in bacon grease.

• Doug — July 12th, 2013 @ 5:09 pm

I still have a drippings can beside my stove…this is exactly how my mom used to make them except she would put in one egg and some diced up onion. We always had these with home made applesauce!

Blond Duck — November 23, 2010 @ 8:05 pm

Potatoes and pancakes? Where have I been?

Kristy — November 23, 2010 @ 8:21 pm

I hope you post a recipe of the egg salad with fried chopped ham. That one sound amazing!

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life — November 23, 2010 @ 10:25 pm

Oh gosh! My mom used to make potato pancakes ALL THE TIME when I was growing up. They were one of my favorites. Always so funny to see other people who know what I’m talking about :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — November 24, 2010 @ 12:20 am

My dad always used to make those!!!!

Baking Serendipity — November 24, 2010 @ 12:59 am

I’m totally going to need this recipe on Friday…we have way too much food! Thank you :) Simple recipes that taste like home are best. We had certain foods growing up that my mom would make when my dad was on a business trip. They still feel like special foods!

Alison — November 24, 2010 @ 4:04 pm

They’re croquettes just without bread crumbs! We will see if I have any leftover potatoes…

Kat @ Living Like the Kings — November 26, 2010 @ 3:31 am

What a genius idea! I just stand at the refrigerator and eat it out of a tupperwear, cold, with a huge spoon.

Mr. How Sweet — November 26, 2010 @ 6:39 pm

‘What in tarnation…’. Who wrote this post? Yosemite Sam??

Ashley — November 27, 2010 @ 12:03 am

So i’m ashamed to say I’ve never had potato pancakes! These look delicious! I can’t wait to try these! Thanks for sharing!

Tracy — November 27, 2010 @ 12:54 am

Thanks for the timely reminder. I’ve rarely made them (just polished off two tonight), but I grew up having them regularly and we put ketchup on them too :)

Bethany — November 28, 2010 @ 3:06 am

Made these for lunch today with leftover potatoes from last night…..SO GOOD! I added crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, and a little onion. Oh my goodness! I can’t wait to make mashed potatoes again; and when I do, I’m making extra so we can have these the next day. Or I might just skip the mashed potato stage and go straight for the pancakes! Thanks for sharing!

Torrie @ a place to share... — November 28, 2010 @ 10:40 pm

Your mom and my grandma are two-of-a-kind, in their love of bacon grease. Some dishes just HAVE to me made with it.

potato pancakes — November 30, 2010 @ 5:13 pm

these look absolutely amazing lol. I have never tried the mashed style before and I have been craving to cook these babys up lately so I will give this recipe a try tonight!

Alicia — December 3, 2010 @ 12:32 am

Making these tonight, can’t wait!!!!

• Jessica — December 3rd, 2010 @ 1:03 am

Hope you love them!

yvette — December 5, 2010 @ 2:30 am

I am so happy to see that someone else makes these! We always had these with left over mashed potatoes – but never with a little flour. I bet that holds them together extra nice! I think I’ll give that a try the next time I have some leftovers. Thanks for sharing!

• Jessica — December 5th, 2010 @ 5:57 pm

It really does help hold them together, because I made some more last week and didn’t add much flour and they all fell apart!

Erin — December 16, 2010 @ 9:41 pm

My momma always makes these after holiday dinners! They’re my favorite! She adds Cavender’s Greek Seasoning to the flour. Yum!

Clare — February 17, 2011 @ 7:44 pm

MMM! I was so inspired by your blog post that I just made some mashed sweet potato pancakes. Not to worry, I smothered all potential healthiness with about a gallon of chocolate chips.

Cristy — February 26, 2011 @ 4:47 pm

YEAH! This is how my mom used to make them, too! I’ve been surfing for something that “looked” right based on what I remember her doing…And this is it! Thank you!!!

Katie @decoratemylife — November 29, 2011 @ 7:52 pm

Making these tonight!! So glad I stumbled upon these!

jerry — December 27, 2011 @ 12:29 pm

these are a standing tradition in my family, we just made a batch last night and re fried them for breakfast this morning. We like to use egg, milk and flour with a dash of seasoning salt form into patties an inch thick and fry on both sides till golden brown. The key is patience, they take awhile to brown but they are worth the wait. Here’s our secret
    half gallon leftover mashed potatoes
    3/4 c milk
    3 eggs
    4 heaping tlbs all purpose flour
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    2 tsp pepper
    lawrys season salt to taste for a little kick. ( be careful too much will ruin the flavor)
    fry to golden brown in med saucepan or or griddle

Terri Broviak — December 27, 2011 @ 2:34 pm

I’m going to make these tonight to go with dinner,for me it will be the main dish.Potatoes should be a food group all by themselves.

Jessica — March 7, 2012 @ 9:41 pm

Made these tonight with left over mashed potatoes I made that had cream cheese, sour cream, and garlic in them. They were so yummy, I loved the crunch on the outside!

Cheryl Leace — December 17, 2013 @ 12:18 pm

I made these and they were yummy..I added diced sauteed onions and salt and pepper..AND I hid the Ketchup from my Husband and he still enjoyed them..Thanks