I am lucky to be blessed with the morning-person gene. I can easily tell you that this comes from my dad’s side of the family, and not my mom’s. And I think I’m the only child who inherited it. I still remember my parents having to physically drag my brother out of bed in time for the school bus.

Which is funny, because sometimes I have to do that with Mr. How Sweet. Except he doesn’t go near a school bus. At least I hope not.

Before I left my job, I woke up anywhere between 4:30 and 5:00 to get to the gym. I love working out in the morning and have done so since high school.  I highly doubt I will ever work out in the evening! Recently, I’ve been sleeping a little longer, just until about 6:00, and not doing my workout first thing.

And by “sleeping longer,” I really just mean that I lay there because Mr. How Sweet seems to make the most commotion between the hours of 5:00 and 6:00 am. He vacuums. And clangs dishes. And blasts CMT. Lucky me.

I guess we could actually say that my morning begins around 2:00 am, because that is about the time I wake up shivering since Mr. How Sweet stole the covers. Then I usually wake up again around 3:00 am because his snoring mimics the calming, soothing sound of a jet engine. It’s just so peaceful.

So these days, my morning goes a little something like this:

around 6:00 – wake up

6:15 – blog. This is the time where Mr. How Sweet says I’m “working” and “in my office.” That includes laying on the couch under mounds of blankets with the computer on my lap. He doesn’t find this amusing as he leaves for a day in the office.

7:00 - have a little pre-workout snack, which usually looks like this:

7:15 – workout, which usually includes cardio and lifting. sometimes yoga, sometimes not. Today I did 30 minutes of cardio and a full body workout, which included:

• lunges
  • pull-ups
  • push-ups
  • deadlifts
  • shoulder presses

Then I come home and eat breakfast, which can be anywhere from 9:00-10:00, since I tend to get sucked into the black hole known as the internet. My breakfast is usually one of the following:

• 2 eggs and toast with fruit
  • oatmeal
  • a big shake
  • whole wheat pancakes
  • an english muffin sandwich

Oh, and once I had nachos for breakfast, but that was a rough morning. And this morning, it was really a struggle not to dig into the left over sheet cake… straight from the pan again.

Oops. In all honestly, I really don’t like having cake or sweets for breakfast because I tend to feel like garbage afterwards and just want to eat chocolate until 10:00 pm at night. However, I usually do have a few chocolate chips in my oatmeal or peanut butter with a sprinkle of chocolate chips on toast. Just depends on how the morning goes.

Then I do really important things, like write and cook and read blogs and watch Full House for 2 hours, while DVRing Saved By the Bell so I can watch it later. And sometimes I shower, but usually not. It depends on if I have plans. I’m sorry Mr. How Sweet.

What is your morning routine like? I must say, I’m not liking getting up at 6:00 and losing an hour. I really like to be up as early as possible and get the most out of my day. I’m also 77 years old, in case you didn’t know.

And now, I’m off to make Mr. How Sweet a dinner that only a 3-year old (and him) could love.

77 Responses to “My Morning Routine.”

Heather (Heather's Dish) — November 15, 2010 @ 9:45 pm

sounds like the best “office” ever! p.s. please send chocolate… ;)

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie — November 15, 2010 @ 9:46 pm

I want that morning person gene!
    My mom jokes that I was one week late coming out of the womb and I’ve never been on time for anything since.
    Which is pretty true.
    I wake up at 6 am to get to work for 9 – 9:30.
    So inefficient.

Erika [FoodFitnessFun] — November 15, 2010 @ 9:47 pm

I am a morning person too! I love the calmness of the morning, especially since everyone else in my house is sleeping until 10AM at the least! ;-)

Kristina @ spabettie — November 15, 2010 @ 9:48 pm

this is awesome. I am SO the same way. lately the time change has me getting up at 6.. an hour later than usual… west coast it is still dark until almost 7.

even on weekends I am up early… while Jason sleeps until 9 or 10! this weekend he was up at 7 (oops!). he calls me an old lady, usually as I am going to bed by 10… ;)

• Jessica — November 15th, 2010 @ 9:54 pm

That’s better than us! We are in bed most nights at 9.

Jenna — November 15, 2010 @ 9:48 pm

I’m like you, definitely a morning person. However, 5 a.m. is a wee bit too early for me. I get up at 5:30 to hit the gym and am on my way to work by 7:10!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — November 15, 2010 @ 9:49 pm

I’m a morning person too! Except when I stopped “working” I stopped getting up at 5am. I do miss that time in the morning and having my entire day wide open.

Lauren at KeepItSweet — November 15, 2010 @ 9:49 pm

i am also a morning person. if i don’t work out first thing, the chances of me getting to the gym decrease significantly

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — November 15, 2010 @ 9:49 pm

I’m definitely a morning person too. I’m usually up by 6:30, done writing by 9:30, and completely worthless by the time 4:00 rolls around :-)

• Jessica — November 15th, 2010 @ 9:53 pm

Oh yes. I’m worthless right now. It’s 4:53. I’m done for the day.

Julie (Bananas for Bourbon) — November 15, 2010 @ 9:53 pm

I wasn’t a morning person until well into my twenties. I don’t know why it happened, but I’m sure glad it did! My morning routine also begins with a workout. Sometimes a run, sometimes the gym, usually for about an hour. Then I come home, get my dog, play lots of fetch with him, or take him for his own short run. He has a lot of energy in the morning. Then I make us both breakfast. Cereal, fruit, and coffee, my favorite part of the day! Then I try and work up the energy to go take a shower, and then my day begins…

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — November 15, 2010 @ 9:54 pm

Oh, the stress!! LOL! I talked about my morning routine in this post: http://eatspinrunrepeat.wordpress.com/2010/10/15/up-and-at-em-my-morning-routine/
    I’m definitely an early riser, which sort of sucks on the weekend because I swear my body is incapable of sleeping in!!!

• Jessica — November 15th, 2010 @ 9:56 pm

We really don’t sleep in either. We can’t. Except last week, I was still sleeping at 9:30 on a Saturday and Mr. How Sweet flew upstairs because he thought I was dead. True story.

• Julie @SavvyEats — November 16th, 2010 @ 1:21 am

This qualifies for “you know you’re a morning person when…”

“you sleep until 9:30 and your husband thinks you’ve died”

• Jessica — November 16th, 2010 @ 1:25 am

LOL!

Jil @ Big City, Lil' Kitchen — November 15, 2010 @ 9:57 pm

Best snack ever. Nut butter out of the jar. haha

Julia — November 15, 2010 @ 9:59 pm

Maybe we are cut from the same cloth?!! Thank goodness for ABCFamily still playing Full House and TBS playing Saved by the Bell. And us early risers, I like to think we are more prodctive ;)

• Jessica — November 15th, 2010 @ 10:01 pm

Annie — November 15, 2010 @ 9:59 pm

I’m trying to be better about working out in the morning. I typically get up around 6 or 6:30. If I let it get too late, the likeliness that I’ll go for a run decreases drastically. I spent Friday waiting around for a repair man, in my workout clothes. By the time he left, it was past 6. I grumbled about how I no longer had time for a workout, then my SO asked why I didn’t just workout then. So I did. 30 minutes of yoga then dinner.

• Jessica — November 15th, 2010 @ 10:01 pm

Good for you for doing it. I know I probably wouldn’t!

Michele @ Healthy Cultivations — November 15, 2010 @ 10:00 pm

I am such a morning person too… up between 5:30 and 6:00am usually seven days per week.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — November 15, 2010 @ 10:09 pm

i love getting a little glimpse into your life!! I am such a morning person too (well I can easily be when I need to be) I start work at 5, so I am used to getting up around 415…its like second nature to me! people don’t believe how I do it but when you get so used to something it just works. I LOVE working out in the morning or before lunch time. I have a no workout rule past 6pm I just cannot do it!! I have tried and fail and have no energy!

the mornings I work the later shift, you will find me watching saved by the bell too :)

MelissaNibbles — November 15, 2010 @ 10:13 pm

This post pissed me off because I’m super jealous of your life. I’m not a hater though ;)

Ami @ beyondpeasandcarrots — November 15, 2010 @ 10:14 pm

hahaha I love your day! It sounds like what mine used to be like… before I had a baby. Now I mostly just try to entertain my 3 month old by doing the same tour around the house for the millionth time, or dancing around and singing like an idiot.

Ashley — November 15, 2010 @ 10:26 pm

I *wish* I could turn into a morning person! I struggle to get up before 7am on a work day. And by struggle I mean, poke my husband repeatedly until he hits snooze on the alarm. Eventually, I get out of bed, grumble around, slap on makeup and am out the door within 20 minutes or so.

I swear, it has to be genetic or something. I’ve tried it all – I exercise regularly, go to bed early, etc etc. I still hate mornings!

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) — November 15, 2010 @ 10:42 pm

I love your morning routine. Before I started teaching, my routine was very similar. I miss those days! I also prefer working out first thing but lately it’s been so hard for me to get up!

Robyn — November 15, 2010 @ 10:49 pm

i love reading all the comments about you morning people…because i am so NOT. it’s a struggle for me most days to drag myself out of bed by 6:30, and sometimes i hit snooze until 7. then it’s about trade-offs – do i blowdry my hair or make a smoothie? iron my pants or eat some toast. welcome to my world.

janetha g. @ meals & moves — November 15, 2010 @ 10:50 pm

Hi, can we trade places?

Chrissy — November 15, 2010 @ 10:58 pm

Being jobless and school-less since May has taken its toll. It’s tough to get up and out and about. I’m going to try really hard to start getting up with my boyfriend at 5 and get straight to a workout. Is that Nutella with the banana?

• Jessica — November 15th, 2010 @ 11:00 pm

Nope, it’s Dark Chocolate Dreams. I don’t really like Nutella.

Krista (kristastes) — November 15, 2010 @ 11:03 pm

I am jealous of your early morning person gene! I have the opposite. My routine: alarm goes off at 6am. Hit snooze 4 times. Bolt out of bed at 6:40, brush teeth, throw on work clothes and minimal makeup, walk dog, feed dog, rush to work! I shower at night because I suck so much at my morning wakeup haha. :)

Talia @Texas Gunslinger — November 15, 2010 @ 11:19 pm

Girlfriend, PLEASE lend me some of your “morning person” magic! I can’t stand getting up in the morning and cherish the heck out of sleepy time. I guess that is because I’m up like 4 time a night to pee since I drink so much dang water and also because as tired as I am during this contest prep, I’m WIDE AWAKE at night and my brain goes haywire. Ughhh… I wish so badly that I was a giddy morning person, but it takes me about an hour to wake up. Luckily my husband can now decipher my sighs and squeaks, though, because that is about how much dialogue occurs before I’m fully awake HAHA! :)

Lauren — November 15, 2010 @ 11:33 pm

Is is sick that I INSTANTLY knew that was Dark Chocolate dreams? No question…I just knew it.

• Jessica — November 16th, 2010 @ 12:26 am

It makes you awesome.

Jessie — November 15, 2010 @ 11:38 pm

I wish I could say I was a morning person – Never have been and I doubt I ever will be! I start a “real” job tomorrow which includes getting up before 9 am so it should be interesting! I would love to work out in the morning though because I usually put it off all day and by the time the evening comes around I have usually talked myself out of doing it at all =/

• Jessica — November 16th, 2010 @ 12:25 am

Good luck at your job!

Jilly — November 15, 2010 @ 11:49 pm

Just baked your kale chips, thank you! Great suggestion!

• Jessica — November 16th, 2010 @ 12:25 am

Yum!

Torrie @ a place to share... — November 15, 2010 @ 11:56 pm

Yes- my husband just loves walking out the door, with me on the couch- covered in blankets… “working”; and he loves it even more when he gets home, and I’m in the bedroom, covered in blankets…still “working”. :)

(What can I say, I’m a hard worker!!)

• Jessica — November 16th, 2010 @ 12:25 am

Hahahah!

Wei-Wei — November 16, 2010 @ 12:18 am

I wish I could wake up at 4.30 to work out. I don’t sleep early enough, though…

Victoria (District Chocoholic) — November 16, 2010 @ 1:11 am

I think we are long-lost sisters. I also adore working out in the morning. And early. P.S. I don’t even use an alarm clock. Here’s my deal these days:
    5 am: Wake up, contemplate getting out of bed.
    5:15 am: Get out of warm bed. Curse leaky windows.
    5:20 am: Whip up eggbeater omelette. With baking powder. And cheese.
    5:30 am: Check out what Europeans are saying on twitter. Because no reasonable American is awake.
    5:45 am: Pull (_*^&%& together.
    5:50 am: Walk to the pool, feeling all hardcore for walking in the cold and dark to work out.
    6:15 am: Jump in the pool. It’s cold. Feel really hardcore now.
    7 am: Decide that a 2500m workout is sufficiently hardcore.
    7:01 am: Contemplate the chocolate I have at home that I will want to eat later. Put in another 500-700m.
    7:10 am: Dodge naked old ladies in the locker room.
    7:25 am: Go to work. With wet hair. Because that’s how I roll.

Sadly, there is rarely leftover sheetcake at work. I envy that part of your routine. A lot.

• Jessica — November 16th, 2010 @ 1:19 am

What does the baking powder do for the omelet? Make it fluffier?

• Victoria (District Chocoholic) — November 16th, 2010 @ 1:20 am

It makes it super-duper fluffy. Try it sometime. I put about 1/2 tsp in 1/2 c. eggbeaters.

• Julie @SavvyEats — November 16th, 2010 @ 1:24 am

Leaky windows are EVIL in the winter! We just covered up our leakiest windows for the winter, and I hope it helps!

Julie @SavvyEats — November 16, 2010 @ 1:27 am

I try to get up around the time Dan leaves for work (6:30-ish). I did really well in the summer, but it is harder now that it is still dark and cold out!

As for working out, it depends. If I don’t feel like working out in the morning and have a flexible day, I’ll do some work first…I figure as long as I get it in eventually, I’ll be fine!

WenDee Riffe — November 16, 2010 @ 1:36 am

your toooo stinkin’ funny~~~enjoy your new job!!! you deserve it!!!!!

Kat @ Living Like the Kings — November 16, 2010 @ 1:36 am

hahahahahaha! You are too freakin’ funny. I was such a great morning person before I got pregnant. Now I can barely roll my big ol’ belly out of bed 40 minutes before I have to be at work. True story. I’m also super jealous of your day job.

Cara Craves... — November 16, 2010 @ 1:45 am

I am an early riser as well…I feel quite guilty if I sleep in.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — November 16, 2010 @ 2:42 am

My Husband calls me “grandma” – I think you can decide for yourself what my morning routine is like!

Natalia - a side of simple — November 16, 2010 @ 2:52 am

Dark Chocolate Dreams can and will wake me up at all hours of the night/ early morning :) Whether I get out of bed to eat some, then sneak back into bed, will just have to remain classified information….

Amanda V. — November 16, 2010 @ 3:07 am

Well Monday Wednesday and Fridays I have class at 7:30 so if I went to bed at a decent time the night before, I will get up at 5:30 to work out and have time for breakfast before class. If I’m up until 12 or later, I don’t work out, and instead roll out of bed and go to class still asleep. Luckily no one else is awake at that time so I don’t have to worry about others judging me in my part zombie state.
    Tuesdays and Thursdays I can sleep a little later- class is at 8:00. (so really not later at all, unfortunately)

BUT starting in January I will have an internship so I’ll have a 9-5 kind of schedule.. don’t know my hours yet but I’m just really hoping it doesn’t start at 7:30. I love being productive and getting things done early so I have more of the day to enjoy, but I really hate being awake before the sun is up.

Jennifer — November 16, 2010 @ 3:08 am

Bahahhaaa! I am cracking up reading this post…..especially the DVRing the Saved By the Bell! Totally sounds likes something I would do. Oh and also, Full House always was and always will be my most favorite show. I wished my name was Stephanie. And I wished Danny Tanner was my dad. Mostly because my dad’s a douche.

Keep blogging! I love it! ;)

Leah @ Why Deprive? — November 16, 2010 @ 3:18 am

I just dont understand how people can function like that in the morning. I get up at 6:05 every. single. morning. and I HATE it! I dont think Im fully awake and functioning until 8:30 – sometimes 9.

Maria — November 16, 2010 @ 4:04 am

Goodness, waking up at 9am is early for me when I don’t have anywhere to be in particular, I can’t imagine 6, *claps hands* You, madam, have awesome genes.

the blissful baker — November 16, 2010 @ 4:21 am

i love being awake early in the mornings! i feel so fresh and productive and alive! i just need to be able to do it more often by sleeping earlier.

Kath — November 16, 2010 @ 4:37 am

Oh, My! I read your breakfast and thought I would love to have your young metabolism! Do you eat all that? If so, I am jealous.

I wake up early, too. I love my quiet time in the morning!

• Jessica — November 16th, 2010 @ 11:54 am

Hahah! I don’t eat all of that for breakfast – it’s one of those things!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — November 16, 2010 @ 5:27 am

I couldnt get in to comment today til just now :( been trying all day

You are up at 6am your time which is 3am my time. I dont go to bed til 430a-5am my time. Which is 8a your time. Which means that you have already slept an entire night before I go to bed. WOW!

I love seeing the snapshot of your day!

Liana @ femme fraiche — November 16, 2010 @ 10:49 am

I feel like I just read the biography of my own life. Since I go to bed at around 9, 9:30 pm, I usually wake up around 5am (thank you university for ruining my sleep habits forever!), catch up on blog reading, book reading, magazine reading….have my usual protein powder+yogurt bowl (topped with cereal of course), hit the gym and then come home and go to work! Morning it my most productive time as well…I never sleep in past 9 (and that’s only on my hangover days…not too common for an old-ager which I am as well haha) You’re posts always make me laugh! (and hungry)…keep it up:)

• Jessica — November 16th, 2010 @ 12:30 pm

Thanks!

Amanda — November 16, 2010 @ 1:12 pm

I wish I was a morning person like you… and in all honesty, I have been this pregnancy. Usually I wake up about 5:45 and cant fall back asleep. Maybe I will be like you after all! :)

Kacy — November 16, 2010 @ 1:16 pm

Unless I need to look pretty after work, my morning routine definitely doesn’t include showering. I sleep until about 13 minutes before I have to be out the door – throw on clothes, do something with my hair, slap on makeup, brew coffee and hit the door. NOT a morning person.

CaSaundra — November 16, 2010 @ 1:20 pm

I am a morning person as well. I am up between 5:30-6 each day and being that I am college student people think this is extremely odd most of the time.

Stephanie — November 16, 2010 @ 1:58 pm

I’m definitely a morning person too! Well maybe not quite as early as you, but I like to get up around 7am. The Man is NOT a morning person, he can sleep til noon on the reg – seriously. My morning routine is about an hour to an hour and a half and consists of shower, sit down breakfast/internet time, hair styling plus makeup plus picking out an outfit, taking care of the dog then jetting out the door to work!

The Candid RD — November 16, 2010 @ 2:11 pm

I love your morning routine! It’s somewhat similar to mine. I get up around 6am, however I am typically the one who has stolen the covers :) Muahaha I then have my pre-workout snack, then I blog/read blogs, then I workout, then I read more blogs, then I am off to work! I do this same routine even on the weekends. Like you, I am 77 years-old. I go to bed at 10pm most nights too, or 10:30pm….it’s nice!

Andrea — November 16, 2010 @ 2:22 pm

I DO like waking up early, and getting the most out of my day, too, when I can. But very often, when I try getting up earlier than 8:30, I fall right back down, with my nose in my coffee cup. It probably come from going to bed late. How early do you usually go to bed? I really do want to be a morning person.

By the way, I love your morning meals. A banana with Nutella? eggs in toast, oatmeal, etc? I do that too when I work out in the morning? (Except peanut butter, not Nutella.) :)

• Jessica — November 16th, 2010 @ 3:09 pm

I don’t like Nutella – it’s chocolate peanut butter! And we go to bed really early. Usually between 9 and 10, closer to 9.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention My Morning Routine. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com