I couldn’t sleep last night because I couldn’t stop thinking about braised short ribs. I had never had them before, but got it in my head that I to have them immediately.

And you know I have zero patience.

So, I searched high and low today and found some boneless beef short ribs for our Sunday dinner. I don’t really have any words, except “why the heck haven’t I been eating these all my life?”

I think Mr. How Sweet wants to get married again.

To me, of course. At least I hope.

[smashed potatoes]

[roasted green beans]

Don’t mind my hideous kitchen lighting.

After dinner, we ate some more of a chocolate sheet cake I had made last night. Note: when you only live with one other person, you probably shouldn’t make a giant sheet cake for the simple reason that you are craving chocolate. Because you will eat half of it with a fork.

Don’t you like how I cut it *perfectly* straight so it didn’t look like I was eating it straight out of the pan?

Mr. How Sweet likes his cake cold, so I brought this out of the fridge.

Then I heated mine up and topped it with ice cream.

And then I bought 3 more pairs of elastic waist pants online.
And now, we are watching TV before rolling each other to bed. Goodnight!

53 Responses to “My Ribs Are Short.”

Kristina @ spabettie — November 15, 2010 @ 2:13 am

I do that too!! straight edges with the fork… so happy to know I am not the only one… :)

Erica — November 15, 2010 @ 2:13 am

I’m not sure which part of this meal looks best. I want a piece of that sheet cake though. I am hating the lighting going on right now. Its so hard to get decent dinner pictures :(

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — November 15, 2010 @ 2:13 am

That is totally why I bake things I cannot eat! :)

Estela @ Weekly Bite — November 15, 2010 @ 2:22 am

I like eating my cake cold too :)

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — November 15, 2010 @ 2:24 am

I have never made short ribs before either… and now you have ME craving them! Looks like a dish I will have to add to the menu this week.

• Jessica — November 15th, 2010 @ 2:25 am

I had actually planned on making them this week for dinner too, but then became obsessed with the thought of them and couldn’t wait.

Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher — November 15, 2010 @ 2:25 am

Woman, your greediness gets me every time.
    And now I want chocolate ;)

Victoria (District Chocoholic) — November 15, 2010 @ 2:36 am

I’m wearing elastic waist pants right now. Good thing, I needed them after looking at this post.

Amber — November 15, 2010 @ 2:55 am

YUMMMMMM!!! I’m full as a tick from dinner, but I just got hungry again by seeing all of these pictures! Looks absolutely DELISH! Especially the chocolate with ice cream! Buh-bye, I’m off to get some chocolate ice cream now! HAHA! lol!

Ami @ beyondpeasandcarrots — November 15, 2010 @ 3:00 am

hahaha I love how you ate the cake out of the pan with a fork! My husband and I totally bust each other doing this EVERY time I bake a cake or pie (since other than my 3 month old we are the only ones in the house).

If I ate red meat I would be all over those ribs… those beans and potatoes look awfully yummy too though!!

Jennifer — November 15, 2010 @ 3:06 am

OMG! That meal looks fabulous compared to what we had today! Oh and melted chocolate sheet cake topped with ice cream….just let me die!

Christina — November 15, 2010 @ 3:09 am

That cake looks delicious. :)

Kat — November 15, 2010 @ 3:09 am

Wow that looks like the most perfect dinner ever. Are you going to post the recipes?

• Jessica — November 15th, 2010 @ 3:38 am

The green bean recipe is linked, I do have a smashed potato recipe under my side dishes, even though I rarely follow it and usually just mix potatoes with butter and milk, and as for the short ribs… I didn’t follow a recipe, just seared them, deglazed the pan with beer, added carrots, onions and garlic, then threw in the oven at 325 for 2 hours!

Heather — November 15, 2010 @ 3:10 am

i don’t think i’ve ever had short ribs! nate would die of happiness if i made this for him though ;)

Wei-Wei — November 15, 2010 @ 3:10 am

Is that chocolate sheet cake recipe from the Pioneer Woman? That last photo looks amazing with the slightly crackled icing. <3<3<3<3

• Jessica — November 15th, 2010 @ 3:44 am

It’s actually my grandma’s sheet cake recipe, but I’ve made PW’s and it is fabulous as well!

Matt — November 15, 2010 @ 3:16 am

Ummm where was my invite?

Stephanie — November 15, 2010 @ 3:17 am

Omg I think The Man and I are going to be rolling each other to bed too after a day full of bacon + pork + more bacon! I’m also curious about short ribs, never cooked with them before either? Great job on the recipe :)

Taylor — November 15, 2010 @ 3:17 am

Mmmm I LOVE braised short ribs!! I just made them for the first time a month ago…I don’t know how I survived so long without them!

Ravenous Rowie — November 15, 2010 @ 3:32 am

All of that looked amazing! Those beef short ribs totally made me salivate. I think you just passed the obsession along!

denise — November 15, 2010 @ 3:35 am

this dinner looks very similar to what we just had and it was GOOD! Nothing like some real food for Sunday dinner.

Liz @ Blog is the New Black — November 15, 2010 @ 3:40 am

I’ve never made these either. Looks delish! And your cake… ohhhh your cake. Yum!

Taryn — November 15, 2010 @ 3:58 am

You crack me up!!! If I ever need a good laugh…I know right where to come.

MrsABC1016 — November 15, 2010 @ 4:04 am

What is the icing on the cake? It’s looks amazing! I love how it looks crackled almost like fudge! Yum! (c:

Alyson @ Nourished Fitness — November 15, 2010 @ 4:06 am

Yum to it all :) I love short ribs but haven’t had them in ages!.. great, now I’m going to be craving them.. dah well.

the blissful baker — November 15, 2010 @ 4:13 am

mmm braised short ribs! i make a korean-style version that is just fabulous.

Jane B — November 15, 2010 @ 4:19 am

I think I entered a food coma just looking at all that deliciousness. I’m an absolute sucker for ribs…and chocolate for that matter. Yuuumm!

Jennifer@Jane Deere — November 15, 2010 @ 4:22 am

I love braised short ribs…great job…it all looks delish!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? — November 15, 2010 @ 4:40 am

I’ve never made shortribs, but i eat them when we go out, and i freaking LOVE them. I have to try!

Jessica — November 15, 2010 @ 5:05 am

Love love love your website! Where can I get the recipe for these ribs??

• Jessica — November 15th, 2010 @ 12:11 pm

Thank you! Unfortunately I really didn’t use a recipe… I pan seared them, deglazed the pan with beer, added onions and carrots, and threw in the oven at 325 for 2 hours!

• Jessica — November 16th, 2010 @ 5:09 am

Dang, you’re a pro :) Ok I will give it a try. I wanna try your honey chicken next!

Kristi — November 15, 2010 @ 5:48 am

Your dinner looks amazing…
    My stomach is starting to growl after looking at all your ymmuy pictures.

Mary (A Merry Life) — November 15, 2010 @ 7:11 am

That dinner looks great!

I do the same thing when I bake things. ;)

Whitney — November 15, 2010 @ 11:24 am

Your dinner looks off the hook!
    Ironically, I made braised short-ribs for the first time Sunday night for dinner too!! I was going to comment last night, but fell into a food coma and couldn’t. I told my fiance that I now had the recipe to impress the inlaws and other important dinner-guests!

Lauren at KeepItSweet — November 15, 2010 @ 11:34 am

i had never had braised short ribs until recently and wow, they are so delicious! that entire meal looks perfect

Kim in MD — November 15, 2010 @ 1:04 pm

Braised short ribs are amazing! Your cake looks yummy, too. Oh- and I eat in straight lines, too! :-)

Lauren — November 15, 2010 @ 1:12 pm

Wow. Now THAT is an impressive meal!

Paul Jennette — November 15, 2010 @ 2:56 pm

Love the Short Ribs!! The restaurant I currently work at has been featuring them for the last six weeks… No Potatoes though-Booo. Your recipe sounds better then theirs, I will give them I try when I go home for the Holidays! Love my cake cold too, not sure why just do.

Diane — November 15, 2010 @ 3:15 pm

MMM…the beef, “smashed” potatoes, and green beans look so hearty. A perfect fall meal!

Lollie — November 15, 2010 @ 3:48 pm

Adorable!

Kacy — November 15, 2010 @ 3:58 pm

I’ve only had short ribs once, at a beer dinner and I can’t remember if I liked them or not. (There was lots of beer…) But those look great!

natalie (the sweets life) — November 15, 2010 @ 6:50 pm

hahaha I totally do the “cut straight edges” thing too. Our house has been overflowing with sweets. Bad news bears :)

Alyssa — November 15, 2010 @ 7:57 pm

That last line definitely made me chuckle aloud. Good thing no one else was around to see me laughing at my computer screen : )

Torrie @ a place to share... — November 15, 2010 @ 7:58 pm

One of my husbands favorite meals of all time… A perfect meal. :)

Mackenzie@ The Caramel Cookie — November 15, 2010 @ 9:20 pm

That cake looks so chocolately and delicious! Recipe please?

Kaitlin With Honey — November 16, 2010 @ 1:26 am

Mr. How Sweet is a man after my own heart. I always put my cake in the fridge before I eat it!

Kath — November 22, 2010 @ 5:18 am

Well, we just had a full on Thanksgiving meal tonight, since we go to my brother’s on the real day and I like to cook my own Thanksgiving dinner and have the leftovers. We had turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, asparagus (just to have something green), and pumpkin pie. It was all delicious!

• Jessica — November 22nd, 2010 @ 12:12 pm

I like to have leftovers too!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention My Ribs Are Short. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: My Morning Routine. | How Sweet It Is