It’s pretty hard to practice self restraint around something like this.

I am quite hypocritical, posting my love for peanut butter and jelly baked goods when I don’t really love peanut butter and jelly itself. It’s definitely delicious, but if I’m having a sandwich, I usually want it to be stuffed with cheese and bacon. But I do enjoy a good piece of toast slathered with peanut butter and jelly. I say that counts.

This process was quick and painless. I actually found the recipe scribbled on an index card in an old recipe book of my Mother Lovett’s. I had never tried it before, and you know I love to try different recipes. So into the kitchen I roamed with my big bag of sugar and tub of peanut butter. I may have also been carrying a spoon. A large, peanut butter-covered spoon.

Oh well.

The finished product barely made it from the oven to the table. A few fell and tripped right into my mouth. Silly cookies.
Some were salvaged. Good thing, too. I had big plans for these jems. Plans that included stuffing and icing the peanut butter rounds with jewel-colored jelly.

To fill and frost, I used some of my favorite preserves.

The jam flavors flying through my head at this moment were endless. I would be lying if I told you I didn’t try it with a spoonful of red haven peach preserves. I really wanted to slather on some honeycrisp apple conserve. And how fabulous would it be with fig jam? I love fig jam. I love figs. Oh… how I love them. Why must I live on the East coast where figs barely exist?
I’m just making that up. I’m sure you can find figs somewhere. And by somewhere, I mean other than my grocery store for $8.00 a pint.

I’m not sure how I managed this, but I was able to save a few cookies for Mr. How Sweet. Many days the treats have disappeared by the time he returns home. He was a happy camper.
In fact, he declared these the “best peanut butter cookies I’ve ever made.” I don’t put much stock in that, considering the guy can’t remember what he ate for lunch yesterday. But I did pipe up and agree. These were really delicious. The cookie was a bit crispy and crunchy on the outside, but still chewy on the inside. In other words… perfection.

Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies

makes about 24 cookies

2 cups peanut butter

2 cups sugar

2 eggs

2 tablespoons milk

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350.

Cream peanut butter and sugar together until thoroughly mixed. Add eggs one at a time, then vanilla. Add salt and baking soda, then add milk. Roll dough into balls and place on a baking sheet.

For thumbprints: Bake cookies at 350 for 8 minutes, remove pan and press a finger right now in the middle of the cookie to create a well. Bake for 2 more minutes. Let cool completely, then spoon a teaspoon of jam or jelly into the cookie.

For sandwich cookies: After rolling dough into balls, press dough to flatten. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Spread a tablespoon of jam or jelly on the flattest side of one cookie, and top it with another cookie.

Devour!

Would you like a cookie?

116 Responses to “Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies: 2 Ways!”

Cailin @ Stir Crazy — November 19, 2010 @ 11:51 am

Uh oh, now I’m in trouble… It’s only 6:50am and now I’m craving PB&J in any way, shape or form! I think I’d prefer them in your cookie form though :) The PB&J combo is heavenly to me… I’m such a kid at heart.

Erika [FoodFitnessFun] — November 19, 2010 @ 11:54 am

Mmmm. I love PB&J! :-D

Estela @ Weekly Bite — November 19, 2010 @ 11:55 am

Love PB&J!! I would an extra large glass of milk to go with one of these.

mags — November 19, 2010 @ 11:59 am

I could tell they were the perfect peanut butter cookie just from the photo. And the jelly just puts them over the top!

Lauren @ Once Upon a Brewhouse — November 19, 2010 @ 12:05 pm

I’m eating vicariously through my laptop screen. Can you please dip one in chocolate for me? They are gorgeous!

• Jessica — November 19th, 2010 @ 12:21 pm

That is a great idea!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — November 19, 2010 @ 12:05 pm

I love peanut butter – on a spoon… and in my cookies…. or on a spoon shmearing my peanut butter cookie.

Ami @ beyondpeasandcarrots — November 19, 2010 @ 12:06 pm

yum yum

Joslyn @ missfitbliss — November 19, 2010 @ 12:17 pm

I swear we have the exact same taste in men. My boyfriend announces that same statement anytime I make him food “This is the best _____ you’ve ever made!” I don’t even bother telling him he said the same thing about the same dish last week. He wouldn’t remember.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — November 19, 2010 @ 12:23 pm

My dad would be obsessed with these. Every night after dinner he sneaks into the kitchen and makes himself the sloppiest PB&J known to man on a piece of folded whole wheat bread. And then repeats it several times. He’s the bomb.

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — November 19, 2010 @ 12:29 pm

Peanut butter and jelly whooppie pies! Sorta. I’m all in!

p.s. Will you be my secret santa?? I’ll never tell!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — November 19, 2010 @ 12:31 pm

I loooooooove peanut butter and jelly cookies!!! Reminds me of being a kid ;-)
    Yum!

Michele @ Healthy Cultivations — November 19, 2010 @ 12:41 pm

These are adorable cookies!! I’m looking for something to take to a potluck at work, and this is going on my option list.

Laura — November 19, 2010 @ 12:42 pm

Hi Jessica!! I just wanted to tell you I absolutely love reading your blog! It is so refreshing seeing such a healthy relationship with eating all types of food on the web. You have such a great sense of humor! Way to go girl!! :)

G — November 19, 2010 @ 12:47 pm

Yes I would like a cookie please!!!

Wei-Wei — November 19, 2010 @ 12:47 pm

I am definitely making thumbprints with these!

Lauren at KeepItSweet — November 19, 2010 @ 12:51 pm

yes, i would definitely like a cookie! these look perfect

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — November 19, 2010 @ 1:01 pm

welll i am a PB + J LOVER these look so good! they remind me of those jam thumbprint cookies!!!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — November 19, 2010 @ 1:04 pm

I have been having PBJ sandwiches regularly these days. They seem to be one of the only things I can stomach without heartburn.

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — November 19, 2010 @ 1:07 pm

PB&J are just MFEO (made for each other)! I LOVE peanut butter and apple jelly! That would be my combo of choice please!

Katrina — November 19, 2010 @ 1:11 pm

I really like the thumbprint idea! Yummy.

Hannah — November 19, 2010 @ 1:22 pm

Oh my word… yummy! I want to make these right now…

Kylie @ A Hungry Spoon — November 19, 2010 @ 1:23 pm

I’d LOVE a cookie! I’m a huge fan of peanut butter and jelly wrapped up into a tortilla shell. These cookies look ten times better though :)

• Jessica — November 19th, 2010 @ 2:14 pm

I like that too!

marla {family fresh cooking} — November 19, 2010 @ 1:23 pm

Great looking cookies. I adore PB & J in any way shape or form – but these would last seconds, if that! xo

brandi — November 19, 2010 @ 1:49 pm

yum – I love cookie sandwiches!

Jennifer — November 19, 2010 @ 1:52 pm

Love the sandwich cookie idea. Yummers!

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — November 19, 2010 @ 1:59 pm

Oh you know we’re all about peanut butter! These cookies look amazing…sooo much better than a pb & j sandwich…a cookie sandwich!!

Evan Thomas — November 19, 2010 @ 2:01 pm

I could most definitely use one(or the whole batch) of these cookies today. Yum.

Jihane @ Sinful Sundays — November 19, 2010 @ 2:02 pm

“A few fell and tripped right into my mouth. Silly cookies.” LOL! i <3 peanut butter!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — November 19, 2010 @ 2:07 pm

I don’t know why, but I’ve never thought of putting jelly on a peanut butter cookie. These look amazing!

Jenn L @ peas and crayons — November 19, 2010 @ 2:08 pm

& now I’d like a giant PB&J sandwich too =) yummmmm

nancy k — November 19, 2010 @ 2:18 pm

Hi Jessica,
    Thanks for another fun post. I really enjoy your blog and your recipes. I have tried quite a few. I just purchased some Stonewall Kitchen fig and ginger jam…it is yummy. I have also purchased a fig and orange jam but I can’t remember the name of the company who produces it. It often is available in thr speciality section of the grocery store. I live about 10 miles outside of Boston and I am able to get figs at a large local produce market…but only in the spring. The dried figs are always available.

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather — November 19, 2010 @ 2:19 pm

Without the second cookie ontop they totally remind me of thumbprints. I think I could eat peanut butter cookies every day of my live. Love PB anything.

Victoria (District Chocoholic) — November 19, 2010 @ 2:23 pm

I’m with Lauren. These would be awesome as a ganache sandwich cookie. Assuming it would be possible to bake the cookies without eating all the dough first, and that it would be possible to make sandwich cookies without eating all the baked cookies first. Oh difficulties of life.

Liz — November 19, 2010 @ 2:39 pm

You should probably road trip to NY in a few weeks to bring these cookies to ThenHeatherSaid’s holiday cookie exchange party.

• Jessica — November 19th, 2010 @ 3:22 pm

I’d love to!

Jenna — November 19, 2010 @ 2:51 pm

pb and jelly cookies! Yum!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete — November 19, 2010 @ 2:52 pm

I love PBJ on just about anything — but cookies??? aaaah you are a genius (well, Mother Lovett is a genius) — the jelly on top looks so good. And I love that the cookie itself is mostly just PB and sugar :)

Taylor — November 19, 2010 @ 2:57 pm

I hate it when cookies go falling into my mouth like that! I have some serious self-control issues with PB so these cookies would be dangerous…they look sooo tasty!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — November 19, 2010 @ 3:01 pm

ohmigosh. really? i want to dive into that peanut butter jar!

barefootgirl27 — November 19, 2010 @ 3:04 pm

oh. wow.

I’m running to the kitchen to make these RIGHT NOW!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — November 19, 2010 @ 3:19 pm

Ooooh new PB cookie recipe! I make similar flourless ones (http://www.confessionsofachocoholic.com/chocolate/no-flour-orange-peanut-butter-white-chocolate-chip-cookies) but haven’t tried a recipe with milk yet. I will definitely get on it soon.

I am a big PB&J fan (or AB&J) and love desserts with similar flavors. Actually I love all desserts but you know what I mean :)

Camille — November 19, 2010 @ 3:34 pm

Well, it seems that I may have to make these. I did just buy some PB and I can’t have that around the house. It’s dangerous.

• Jessica — November 19th, 2010 @ 3:38 pm

Make them!

Liana @ femme fraiche — November 19, 2010 @ 3:34 pm

PB & J on ripped toast=the lazy (wo)man’s (me) favourite post meal treat! these sound ridiculous(ly good, that is) as always!

• Jessica — November 19th, 2010 @ 3:38 pm

I love it too. Best snack ever.

Erica — November 19, 2010 @ 3:40 pm

How amazing do peanut butter cookies smell when they’re baking? I can hardly let them cool a minute before I eat one :) Making them into little sandwiches is a great idea. That’d be a really fun dessert for a kids party (or adults that act like kids party). Happy Weekend Jessica!

• Jessica — November 19th, 2010 @ 4:20 pm

Adults that act like kids… I know a lot about that. :)

R @ Learning As I Chop — November 19, 2010 @ 3:42 pm

Those look delicious! And I love that they were made from a family recipe

Corey@therunner'scookie — November 19, 2010 @ 3:43 pm

Yes, please! PB and J never gets old for me!

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana — November 19, 2010 @ 3:46 pm

The warm smell right out of the oven just when you put the jelly on must have been heaven. I’m drooling…

• Jessica — November 19th, 2010 @ 4:20 pm

Oh you have no idea…

Jessica@tastyandtrim — November 19, 2010 @ 3:47 pm

Oh gosh those look SO good. I adore peanut butter and jelly and I have a hunch I will love it even more in cookie form :)

• Jessica — November 19th, 2010 @ 4:19 pm

You will. I promise.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — November 19, 2010 @ 4:15 pm

Yum! I made Ina’s pb&j bars once and they were outta this world (as all Ina dishes tend to be). These look along the same lines – amazing!

• Jessica — November 19th, 2010 @ 4:19 pm

I love the pb & j bars. They are to die for.

CaSaundra — November 19, 2010 @ 4:20 pm

Oo those definitely wouldn’t last long in my kitchen!!

Steph@stephsbitebybite — November 19, 2010 @ 4:20 pm

These look amazing! Wanna come be my neighbor so we can just swap goodies everyday?

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies: 2 Ways! | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Oatmeal PB&J Cookies | The Lean Green Bean