[Hi friends! I have been experiencing some server issues, so if you click onto my post and it doesn’t load, try refreshing the page. Hopefully the kinks will be worked out soon! Thank you for reading!]
Things started out swimmingly.
I spotted these molten chocolate peanut butter cakes on Food and Wine, and just couldn’t resist. Let’s not mention the fact that I never have made any type of molten cake or soufflé.

Are these even anywhere near a soufflé? I honestly have no idea. They just both usually come in ramekins, and I like to think that my big girl pants are pulled up tight enough to whip up a soufflé.
See? Swimmingly I tell you.

Let’s also not mention the fact that the butter I bought grew legs and ran away. I am not kidding. I swear on Mother Lovett’s blind eyes and deaf ears that I had butter in my fridge this weekend. It disappeared. I have no idea where on God’s green Earth it is, but I’ll tell you where it’s not – in my refrigerator.

Where? What? How? And most importantly… why?!
But anyway… back to the story.

These molten cakes looked like pure heaven. Mini chocolate cakes where peanut butter runneth over?  They sort of brought tears to my eyes.

And as usual, with them being mini and all, that means I could eat multiples. Chocolate + peanut butter + multiples = my ecstasy.  No need for drugs here.
So I assembled said cakes and batter with my own modifications, including less butter. I know. Desperation.

Ha! Less butter…

Who do I think I am? I’m certainly not who I think I am. I think.

I don’t know why I thought my first attempt at a molten cake using my own made-up recipe would work. I mean, who uses less butter? And being self taught, and only really having a grandmother to learn from… a grandmother who had a heart attack while hand-mixing a cake, a grandmother who practically ate lard for breakfast she loved it so much… why, why, why? Why didn’t I just drag my rear end to the grocery store and get more butter?
But you know…

They smelled delicious while they were baking. And even though it is the golden rule (I think, but I’m probably making that up), I peeked inside the oven 6 or 7 times while they were baking because, well… I just can’t help myself. And I had no idea how to tell if they were done. The recipe said cracks on the outsides with a jiggly middle? (First of all, can the recipe writer see me? Are they talking about me?!) My cakes just looked completely jiggly the entire time.
So this is what I got.

A crusty top, a spongy cake, and anything but melted peanut butter oozing out.

Clearly, I baked it too long. I think I need to become more familiar with the word “jiggly.” Oh, and I BARELY USED ANY BUTTER. Because I BARELY USED ANY BUTTER, I also decreased the amount of flour, sugar and eggs. I pretty much just made the entire recipe up. Me = clueless.

What’s a girl to do?

Eat it of course. Like there was ever a doubt in your mind.

If you are in need and someone to eat your failed chocolate and peanut butter recipes, I’m your girl. I could never let such a thing go to waste.

And for the record, it was delicious.

Oh and you want the recipe? You can find that here. I’m sure it would turn out fabulously, as long as you have butter.

58 Responses to “The Little Cake That Couldn’t.”

Erica — November 4, 2010 @ 3:49 am

Thank you for posting about your “kitchen failure” – and for the record, if it tastes good…I don’t really care what it looks like ;). I’ve totally done something like this a number of times- oh, I don’t have that ingredient? Well let me just make some adjustments, I’m sure it will be fine. Yes, this works with cooking….baking- a little more scientific.

Matt — November 4, 2010 @ 3:49 am

For some reason your pictures aren’t showing up in my reader :(

• Jessica — November 4th, 2010 @ 4:06 am

I don’t think that is something I can fix – sorry!

Erika @ Food.Fitness.Fun — November 4, 2010 @ 3:56 am

Awww, sucks that they didn’t com out “jiggly.”
    They looked delicious going into the oven! ;-)

Victoria (District Chocoholic) — November 4, 2010 @ 4:02 am

This is awesome – and supports my theory that if you use chocolate in a recipe, it’s almost impossible to screw it up so badly that it can’t be at least partially eaten.

Lauren at KeepItSweet — November 4, 2010 @ 4:09 am

it does look like something i’d eat even if it didn’t turn out, because when chocolate and peanut butter are involved, no matter what, it can’t be bad! i’ve eaten my fair share of not quite right desserts…………

Estela @ Weekly Bite — November 4, 2010 @ 4:13 am

Half the stuff I make looks disgusting but tastes delicious :)

Glad your site is up again :)

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — November 4, 2010 @ 4:19 am

Of course you eat it! Chocolate and peanut butter!? Isn’t it illegal to NOT eat it?! Delicious.

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — November 4, 2010 @ 4:27 am

Jiggly is such a technical word, isn’t it? I hate when it doesn’t come out like I want it to, but could you really go wrong with the chocolate peanut butter combo? I think not. I hope you have a great day Jessica!

Lina — November 4, 2010 @ 4:44 am

Chocolate and peanut butter. Enuff said.

eatgreek.net — November 4, 2010 @ 4:48 am

I love molten cakes! and this one looks amazing! :D

Brenda Dunn — November 4, 2010 @ 5:01 am

Here is another similar recipe. I have made this one before. You makei t in a bigger baking dish, so it takes a little longer to cook. My outsides were very done, but the middle was so gooey. I would recommend that you try this one as well. From the kraft foods website:

• Jessica — November 4th, 2010 @ 6:57 am

Thanks!

Talia @ Texas Gunslinger — November 4, 2010 @ 5:06 am

All I can say is those should “get in ma’ belly!!!!” :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — November 4, 2010 @ 5:21 am

I love your grandmother stories!!! Even though these don’t look Food-and-Wine-magazine-worthy, I’d still eat them in a heartbeat!

Katrina — November 4, 2010 @ 5:22 am

Amaaaaazing! This looks great.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — November 4, 2010 @ 5:24 am

Haha…at least it tasted good?!

I hope your server problems get fixed soon– I know how frustrating that must be for you!!! :-(

marla {family fresh cooking} — November 4, 2010 @ 6:18 am

I love that you posted this heavenly chocolate cake even though there were a few blunders. Lets face it with chocolate, butter and sugar we just can’t go wrong ;) xo

Tabitha (From Single to Married) — November 4, 2010 @ 6:24 am

I’m glad it wasn’t just me (the server I mean – tried to log on yesterday but couldn’t. Don’t you hate server issues?!) The cake looks delicious!

Camille — November 4, 2010 @ 6:30 am

Nothing that contains chocolate can be a complete fail. True statement.

Kristina @ spabettie — November 4, 2010 @ 7:18 am

…and you know what? It still LOOKS delicious. ;) and I am certain you will have molten to show us next time… YUM !

Krystina (Organically Me) — November 4, 2010 @ 7:45 am

Who cares how it looks as long as it tastes baller!

Stephanie @ Per l'Amore del Cibo — November 4, 2010 @ 7:55 am

The first time I made molten cakes, I had no clue how long to bake them either. I too ended up over-baking. Next time you’ll know, trust me. :)

Ellen@FirednFabulous — November 4, 2010 @ 8:58 am

That’ll teach you never to skimp on the butter again! Looks delicious all the same! Chocolate+PB is ALWAYS a winning combo :)

Casey — November 4, 2010 @ 9:40 am

Jessica you are ADORABLE! I love that you still ate these, because I would have too!

I love this post because it proves that you make mistakes too, there is hope that one day I’ll be a fabulous wife in the kitchen, even if my husband has plain taste :)

naomi(onefitfoodie) — November 4, 2010 @ 9:54 am

ummm i’ll have it

Ahhh baking and experimenting–as you know I am just terrible in this dept! haha…i love that YOU the most incredble baker I think I have ever ‘known’ can make a mistake…thank you for being YOU and honest :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) — November 4, 2010 @ 9:56 am

omg if i could get a dollar for every time i’ve done something like this…well, i’d be a wealthy woman ;)

Sues — November 4, 2010 @ 10:01 am

I think they still look totally delicious, too :) But I choose to never skimp on butter. However, the peanut butter makes up for it!! :)

mags — November 4, 2010 @ 10:41 am

Maybe you just needed a visual so you’d know what “jiggly” looks like. Had I been there baking with you, I would have busted out some moves and you could have seen what my behind looks like when I dance. THAT’S the definition of “jiggly”

Gaby @ What's Gaby Cooking — November 4, 2010 @ 11:02 am

Kitchen failures are so much fun to read about! I love hearing about them – it makes me feel better when I have them myself! But honestly – I’m right there with ya – anything with chocolate and peanut butter is never a failure :)

carol — November 4, 2010 @ 11:12 am

I love molten lava cakes and have made them quite a few times, people find them impressive. Anyway the recipe I used involved copious amounts of butter and sugar (awesome) but the first time i overbaked it too but the next time it was perfect! my advice, follow the recipe, undercook if necessary, and tweak later :) these look amazing by the way:)

Chicago Cuisine Critique — November 4, 2010 @ 11:14 am

Even if it wasn’t just as the magazine said, chocolate and peanut butter to me are an amazing combo and i’m sure were still awesome. :) desserts don’t have to be pretty to taste great.

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete — November 4, 2010 @ 11:57 am

Oh how sad!!! I’ve done that before, made something without the right ingredient: eggs, enough flour or butter, etc and it turns out horrible. But even though you tell yourself that you will never do it again, you will. (At least that is the case for me!) Ugh. So sad. And yeah, I would have eaten it too — I doubt it tasted bad.

matt gordon — November 4, 2010 @ 12:11 pm

i am convinced that chocolate and peanut butter will be available in heaven at no caloric penalty. love your site.

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' — November 4, 2010 @ 12:17 pm

Ha, that’s totally something I would do, too! At least the result was still tasty!!

Chocolate + Peanut Butter = heaven. No matter what form it comes in! ;)

natalie (the sweets life) — November 4, 2010 @ 12:23 pm

cute title!

I totally eat all my disasters too! Still choc? Still pb? Count me in!

Emily — November 4, 2010 @ 12:50 pm

Still looks yummy! I’ve totally been there… I made lava cakes from Gwyneth Paltrow’s GOOP website and it worked out really well, in case you’re for trying again! http://goop.com/newsletter/21/en/

Eliana — November 4, 2010 @ 1:12 pm

Hmmm – I love baking disasters that turn out delicious – YUM!!!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — November 4, 2010 @ 1:15 pm

I WILL TAKE IT!!
    gah you know that my molten cake wouldn’t even probably get that far…i would use the wrong kind of chocolate, and omit the butter ocmpletely by accident, and then mess up the type of peanut butter who knows…but i do know that naomi+baking does not equal something good!!!

Stephanie L — November 4, 2010 @ 1:33 pm

I love love love your food pictures! Aside from that comment, I wanted to say how refreshing it was to read about a recipe gone awry. I’ll definitely check back often to what sweets you’re making.

Thanks,

Stephanie

Blond Duck — November 4, 2010 @ 2:15 pm

I tried to make up my own PB blondies once….it was not successful.

Jennifer — November 4, 2010 @ 3:01 pm

Oh no! But, at least they were tasty. I’m such a timid baker, I have no confidence to change recipes. One little misstep and the whole thing gets wrecked.

WenDee Riffe — November 4, 2010 @ 4:25 pm

looks fantastic~~gonna try making this over the weekend!!! congrats on you blog being up and running again!!! whooohoooo!!!!!! i also saw your tweet!!! stay positive~~you can do this!!!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — November 4, 2010 @ 4:28 pm

First time since Sat or Sun that I can get in!!!

So glad for YOUR SAKE that you have the kinks worked out and changes made…or hopefully nearly done :)

Souffle means lots of eggs and butter and in very specific, precise ratios. I am no baker, but I am pretty sure you cant even change things by 1/8 tsp :)

Ok the prev posts, please RELINK that post you wrote about quitting your job, tips, etc…it’s one of your best ever and got lost in the tech shuffle. Trust me, it will be a big hit, relink it when things are up and good to go!

xo

Cara Craves... — November 4, 2010 @ 5:06 pm

Just means you get to try in again!
    Yum!

Holly @ yepiatethat — November 4, 2010 @ 5:17 pm

I not a huge pb & chocolate fan.. PB YES!!! but chocolate, not so much… but today I saw this 5 min ago.. and I’m thinking you would probably love it.

Chocolate & PB cake

Jessica@tastyandtrim — November 4, 2010 @ 7:39 pm

Love the title of this post! As long as it tasted good that’s all that matters! Anything with peanut butter and chocolate is bound to be yummy :)

Kris | iheartwellness.com — November 4, 2010 @ 11:43 pm

You know I love trying new baking experiments! Of course it is better when they turn out, but either way its kind of fun.

I would eat all of these suckers you are showing…delish!

xxoo

Joyti — November 5, 2010 @ 2:22 am

Ooo, it sounds incredible!
    And I have a fear of not having any butter in my fridge. I have some frozen as backup, and always have an extra package of it.

sophia — November 5, 2010 @ 2:30 am

Ah, thank god you’re back, Jessica. I had trouble getting to your blog for awhile. And man, you’re back with more sass and devilish luscious treats than ever! Honestly, I thought it still looked perfect. And at least they tasted good, which is really what matters anyway.

But girl. Go get some butter. As you already know. There is just no substitute. ;-)

Kacy — November 5, 2010 @ 7:51 am

I like ugly cakes, it makes me feel open and accepting of all baked goods – like I’m a good humanitarian, or something like that. Plus, growing up, my mom made some pretty ugly cakes so it reminds me of that.

• Jessica — November 5th, 2010 @ 1:10 pm

LOL oh my…

Lindsay — November 5, 2010 @ 1:51 pm

I am sorry to hear about the server issues. I would recommend trying a new company. I have heard that a company called Server Gurus is amazing. I can give you their phone number if you would like aswell.

• Jessica — November 5th, 2010 @ 4:06 pm

Thank you so much – but I am being transfered to a new server as we speak! :)

• Lindsay — November 5th, 2010 @ 4:12 pm

sounds good!! good luck with the new server!! :)

1. Pingback: Chocolate Banana Gingerbread. | How Sweet It Is