Exciting news!

Mr. How Sweet cleaned my stand mixer today. Too bad I didn’t notice until after I started mixing up a batch of cookies. I certainly did a number on it tonight, so maybe he will clean it again for me tomorrow if I behave.

I made a few more cookies tonight: Mother Lovett’s orange cookies (which look nothing like hers always did), oreo balls and red velvet cake balls.

[the perk of red velvet batter… pink dish water]

[I gave these sad oranges a second life when I juiced and zested them for the cookies]

[Mr. How Sweet loves red velvet cake balls. He has been talking about them all year. So I decided to “let” him roll the balls.]

[typical]

[i want to swim in fresh orange juice glaze]

I’ll show you the finished product tomorrow. I’m currently up to my elbows in chocolate.

47 Responses to “Balls to the Wall.”

Jessica @ The Process of Healing — December 23, 2010 @ 2:35 am

Red Velvet Cake balls are freaking AMAZIN!! And you just reminded me that I forgot to make them this year :(

• Jessica — December 23rd, 2010 @ 2:36 am

You still have time!

Rachel — December 23, 2010 @ 2:35 am

haha… I hope you had him resize the cake ball. Can’t wait for the finished products!

Tiffany @ Conor & Bella — December 23, 2010 @ 2:35 am

That is why I want a microplane….I tried zesting an orange with a cheese grater. Not so good.

Can’t wait to see the finished products!

• Jessica — December 23rd, 2010 @ 2:36 am

Oh you need one!

• Kristine — December 23rd, 2010 @ 2:39 am

I also have to zest with a cheese grater!!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — December 23, 2010 @ 2:36 am

yuuum – i love red velvet!!!!

Kristine — December 23, 2010 @ 2:38 am

I made Red Velvet cake today too for cake balls! Technically I’m making mine into Santa hats for Christmas. Your cake looks better than mine though. I tried a new recipe and it fell apart but I still think it will work!

• Jessica — December 23rd, 2010 @ 2:38 am

Well it’s okay if it fell apart because you have to smash it up anyway, right?

• Kristine — December 23rd, 2010 @ 2:40 am

That’s why I think it will be okay… as long as it’s not too dry. It smelled good when baking so I think that’s a good sign!

Jess — December 23, 2010 @ 2:43 am

Those red velvet cake balls look AMAZINGGGG!

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life — December 23, 2010 @ 3:05 am

Cake balls are one of the first on my list once I have a kitchen back to cook in!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss — December 23, 2010 @ 3:07 am

Oh red velvet’s one of my favorites- these must be amazing!

Sana — December 23, 2010 @ 3:10 am

Those are some big balls. *giggle giggle*

allison @ livingoneday — December 23, 2010 @ 3:14 am

i cant wait to post the chocolate mint cakes i made today. i put on on the how sweet fb wall, but i took a bunch more pics, and im wrapping them all up tomorrow as gifts, so ill link my post here and you can read. thanks for the AMAZING recipe!!

• Jessica — December 23rd, 2010 @ 3:17 am

Ack! I can’t see it on the wall for some reason?

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — December 23, 2010 @ 3:15 am

I love being in the kitchen with Tony! Looks like you two are having fun! I want to swim in that glaze too! Yum!

Lisa @ Dishes of Mrs. Fish — December 23, 2010 @ 3:17 am

What a good hubs. I love when Mr. Fish cleans too. :)

Tulika — December 23, 2010 @ 3:32 am

Those red velvet cake balls look YUMM!!! Can’t wait to see it in its entirety tomorrow!

sassysinglemama — December 23, 2010 @ 3:36 am

I’m silly because I have no idea what a cake ball is haha. I love red velvet cake though! Could you fill me in on what you do to make them?

• Jessica — December 23rd, 2010 @ 3:38 am

Oh girl! They are SO simple. Make a cake – I just make one in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Crumble it in a bowl and add 1 container (or about 1 1/2 cups) of frosting. Mix until combined, refrigerate, then roll into balls and coat with chocolate!

• sassysinglemama — December 23rd, 2010 @ 11:42 pm

Thanks so much! I’m going try these as soon as we are finished moving. So excited

Healthy chocoholic — December 23, 2010 @ 3:40 am

Yum!!! Can’t wait to see the final results!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen — December 23, 2010 @ 3:50 am

Love the red velvet cake balls!!

Stephanie — December 23, 2010 @ 3:52 am

i made those red velvet cake balls a few weeks ago and they were insanely delicious! instead of using premade cream cheese frosting i made my own though – omg i can still taste them now haha. good thing i still have some in the freezer – naked, sans chocolate – that just need a quick dunking! they freeze wonderfully btw :)

Kelly — December 23, 2010 @ 4:47 am

You look so productive. I have to say, I tried making cake balls and I found myself utterly disapointed. (Not your recipe mind you.) I think they are just not for me. Even though my end product looked like all the pictures they just tasted like pre-chewed cake to me. I was so disapointed because everyone seems to be raving about them and heck, there is a whole book about cake pops, but I think it might just be one of those rare foods that is not for me. ::Sigh:: Yours look beautiful though. The color is just spectacular.

And how much do I want a husband to clean my kitchen toys. I also love that you say your cookies don’t look quite like hers, I feel that way about my version of my grandma’s beef stew. Hers is always better.

Red Deception — December 23, 2010 @ 4:49 am

Those red velvet chocolate balls look yummy. Please share the recipe!

Katie — December 23, 2010 @ 5:05 am

I’m posting about a similar ball tomorrow.

I wish I had a stand mixer. I think I’d sell my (unborn) first child. Which actually isn’t saying much since I don’t plan to have kids. But they don’t need to know that part.

Alaina — December 23, 2010 @ 5:06 am

Hmm, is there anything that can’t be more decadent in ball form? Haha

Bailey Benoit — December 23, 2010 @ 5:37 am

I’m trying to comment on the lovely sweets but I can’t stop laughing about the title… giggles… my mixer broke.. been doing it by hand this week… hope Mr. santa gets me a new one.

Taryn — December 23, 2010 @ 5:47 am

I have to say…just reading the ‘title’ made me chuckle! After reading it…I’m craving all the above. Have you ever tried cream cheese with the red velvet?

• Jessica — December 23rd, 2010 @ 11:48 am

Yes! That is what I mixed them with. :)

• Taryn — December 23rd, 2010 @ 1:54 pm

Oh! I thought you said frosting….my bad.

• Jessica — December 23rd, 2010 @ 2:19 pm

Oh! Sorry for the confusion. I make the red velvet cake balls with cream cheese frosting, not regular cream cheese. I made the oreo balls with regular cream cheese. And I’ve made pumpkin spice balls with regular cream cheese, but I really think I like the cake balls with frosting better!

Lindsey (HIP LIP) — December 23, 2010 @ 6:15 am

Wow – this is so crazy. My grandmother makes those exact same orange cookies and they are my mom’s favorite. I went to her house last year to learn how to make them bc no one in our family can quite replicate them. I had never seen them anywhere else! So neat!

Amy @ Serve At Once — December 23, 2010 @ 7:14 am

Um, I will be your stand-in guinea pig when Mr. HowSweet’s not around. ;)

Lauren at KeepItSweet — December 23, 2010 @ 11:51 am

i am so bad about cleaning my mixer, i’d love if my husband would do it for me!

Wei-Wei — December 23, 2010 @ 1:14 pm

LOL that is a humongous ball of cake and frosting. :D

Kat — December 23, 2010 @ 1:22 pm

I desperately need a stand mixer. And a husband that will clean it.

Krystina (Basil & Wine) — December 23, 2010 @ 1:34 pm

LOL I approve of the size of Mr. How Sweet’s balls.

Ignore me.

angela — December 23, 2010 @ 4:16 pm

I made red velvet cake balls this week, too! http://wp.me/pvuam-kz Can’t wait to see how yours turn out!

Martina Dotson — December 24, 2010 @ 11:07 am

Kari — December 27, 2010 @ 6:34 am

Okay girlie…you have to spill. Where in the world can I find that beautiful blue toaster you posted a picture of?? It’s gorgeous!!

• Jessica — December 27th, 2010 @ 12:24 pm

Unfortunately I have no idea! I just pulled it off of google images!

Kindra Barricelli — May 12, 2013 @ 9:37 am

Google Images is a search service created by Google and introduced in July 2001, that allows users to search the Web for image content. The keywords for the image search are based on the filename of the image, the link text pointing to the image, and text adjacent to the image. When searching for an image, a thumbnail of each matching image is displayed. When the user clicks on a thumbnail, the image is displayed in a box over the website that it came from. The user can then close the box and browse the website, or view the full-sized image.^,

Look at all of the most popular content on our personal web site

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Balls to the Wall. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com