I don’t think I’ve ever been so excited to share a recipe with you.

Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com

Or to lick a bowl.

Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com
The secret ingredient here? You may think I’m crazy… but it’s a spoonful of actual cake mix.

Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com

All you must do is whisk it well into the melted white chocolate. Best decision ever.
And don’t worry about “what to do with the rest of the cake mix.” Store it for later. Make more bark. Make cake-mix cookies. Eat it off a spoon. Bake a cake. Mail it to me.
Just don’t not make this because you’re worried about the extra cake mix. It’s simply a detail.

Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com

The truth is, I’ve never been much of a “bark” person. I think barks tend to be beautiful, colorful, and make fabulous gifts, but I’m not really interested in eating my chocolate with nuts and fruit. I decided yesterday that I was going to make some form of chocolate bark, but I knew it had to be different. Not plain, old, boring bark.

Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com

After laying on the couch slurping butter-soaked shrimp scampi, plowing through a bag of m&m’s and watching 7 hours of Lifetime television, I had my answer: cake batter. I don’t know where it came from. I swear it was an epiphany. Or perhaps I had just swallowed way too much sugar.
Yes, it may be quite a trendy flavor, but can you really ever go wrong? I think not.

Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com

And I didn’t want to just make white chocolate bark. This baby needed a little more personality. More spunk. More flavor. More richness. More calories. More reason to buy new bigger pants.
So I added a dark chocolate layer too.

Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com

Did you know I have an obsession with sprinkles? Now you do.

I’d put them on everything if I could. Color me 5 years old.

Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com
Cake Batter Chocolate Bark

6 ounces high quality dark chocolate (I used Lindt 70%)

12 ounces high quality white chocolate (I used Lindt)

3 teaspoons yellow cake mix

sprinkles of your choice (at least 3 tablespoons worth or more)

Melt dark chocolate either in the microwave or a double boiler. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and pour chocolate on. You can smooth it with a spatula to the thickness you desire. Stick in the freeze for 20 minutes.

Melt while chocolate. Whisk in cake mix slowly, stirring well until no lumps remain. Let it set for 3 full minutes (or at least until it slightly thickens). Remove baking sheet with chocolate from the freezer and immediately pour white chocolate on top. Sprinkle on sprinkles. Freeze for 20 minutes.

Once set, break into chunks. Keep refrigerated.
Cake Batter Chocolate Bark I howsweeteats.com

All I really want to know is how I can possibly top this treat. Riddle me that!

441 Responses to “Cake Batter Chocolate Bark.”

Leslie — November 23, 2011 @ 12:10 am

Made this tonight – my white to dark chocolate ratio was a bit off but I had to use individually wrapped white chocolates so I may have done the math wrong…seriously, adding is overrated. Regardless, this looks and TASTES amazing. The cake batter is genius and definitely easy peasy, thanks for sharing!

idiosyncraticeye — November 23, 2011 @ 8:56 am

Never heard of bark, may need to investigate! :)

Ape — November 23, 2011 @ 10:22 am

Hey you? Yeah you…I love you.

Christy — December 1, 2011 @ 10:51 pm

Just made this. Got really cute sprinkles from Target to make it more “Christmas”. What is the secret of not having the white chocolate melt/smear the dark chocolate underneath when spreading the top layer?

• Kendall — February 1st, 2012 @ 8:36 pm

If you happen to let the dark chocolate harden a bit first it wont melt underneath the top layer while spreading.

• Lori — February 24th, 2014 @ 10:26 am

I let mine harden but it still melted.

Lisa Haines — December 10, 2011 @ 1:32 pm

Yum Yum Yum!! Thanks for sharing this recipe!! I’m going to try it for Christmas!! :)

Anon Net Guy — December 11, 2011 @ 9:51 am

I like how you spend the first half of this article talking like you invented this recipe and are some genius for adding cake mix… when this recipe (with cake mix) is already over the internet. In addition, yours is a copy and paste with very slight modifications. Get over yourself and just admit that you found a recipe you liked… not invented it.

• Jessica — December 11th, 2011 @ 10:03 am

Uh, no – over a YEAR ago when I created this recipe, there was no recipe on the internet for cake batter bark because (as always) I did a complete search. Would you like to source your comment? If anything is copied and pasted, it is because people have stolen my recipe without crediting it. I would never copy and paste a recipe and if you actually read my blog you would know this.

• Cordeelia — December 11th, 2011 @ 10:15 am

Tell her girl! She’s nothing but a hater. Your recipes are wonderful and I’m definitely making this for Christmas!!!!

• Jessica — December 20th, 2011 @ 11:34 am

What’s most hilarious about that accusation is that a quick search of “Cake Batter Chocolate Bark” shows that every other result for this recipe was posted after you posted yours (they’re all dated 2011). Hm. What could that mean? ;)

• Marne — December 22nd, 2011 @ 2:55 pm

Funnier still is that he doesn’t have the gonads to own his post, hiding behind anonymous guy instead. Way to go dude!

• Lauren — December 23rd, 2011 @ 4:41 pm

People are funny.

• Stephanie Yard — August 2nd, 2012 @ 3:24 pm

Why does it matter anyhow? Most recipes on this site are either copied from other websites or tweaked by the baker/chef that puts it on here anyhow…get over yourself!

• susan goodnough — December 9th, 2013 @ 4:05 pm

I think you are a mean person. I don’t see you coming up with anything worthwhile

Tammy — December 12, 2011 @ 11:12 pm

I just made it….so beautiful but my white and dark chocolate layers separated and didn’t stick together…..any ideas? I followed the directions exactly!!

• Melanie — December 13th, 2011 @ 2:53 pm

Make sure that your base layer is dry – no condensation – when you spread on the top layer.

Elona — December 14, 2011 @ 10:29 am

This sounds amazing! Can’t wait to try it! I was looking for a recipe today that I was sure that if anyone tried it, you would have… have you ever made s’mores bark? I’ve never made ANY bark before but for whatever reason (after reading your blog) I have a craving for s’mores. Any suggestions?

Recipeboy (Brooks) — December 14, 2011 @ 9:47 pm

Yummmmmm!!!!!!! This is a very colorful recipe and probably very yummy recipe too! :)

Samantha — December 15, 2011 @ 7:25 am

I made this last night and it was so easy! Exactly as you said. I kind of think there’s still room for more cake batter though, did you try adding more?

• Jessica — December 15th, 2011 @ 7:39 am

I have added more since making it again – you can definitely try adding a few more teaspoons slowly!

Katie — December 18, 2011 @ 3:17 pm

YUMMY! Only thing I would do in the future is spread my chocolate thinner… And maybe use higher quality chocolate. This is absolutely brilliant. Can’t wait to try the cookies and cream bark!

Kelli — December 19, 2011 @ 3:07 pm

I made this today for my younger sister who had pinned it. She isn’t a fan of chocolate so I only used white chocolate. I am still waiting for it to set up – but the melted chocolate with cake mix in it tastes awesome. I used red and green sprinkles and will put it in clear bags for Christmas. Thanks for posting your recipe.

Jessica — December 20, 2011 @ 1:23 pm

Hey Jessica, I know you said to keep refrigerated, but since it’s relatively cold this time of year, do you think this would be safe to send in the mail? I have a friend who would love this, but she’s not an especially big fan of baking. (I can’t understand it, but I guess it’s not for everyone!)

• Jessica — December 20th, 2011 @ 5:58 pm

I really can’t say, but I don’t think I’d ship it. I just don’t feel like it would hold up, but I honestly have no idea!

• Anuschka — December 31st, 2013 @ 11:54 am

Hello Jessica! I really don’t understand why you have to keep it refrigerated??? Chocolate doesn’t require a fridge and the cake mix is a dry powder….so why? you don’t add fresh raw eggs nor milk, or?? Thanks for helping me out ;-) Best wishes from sweden….

toyalise — December 24, 2011 @ 7:42 am

mine is in the freezer chilling as i type, WOOOO \O/

buuuut i subbed for the white confetti cake mix, just to add to the colorful birthday cake-y effect, and i used a whole tbsp and a half, but it didn’t taste like cake batter. the white chocolate taste came thru very strong… i used ghirardelli white chocolate chips :(

• brittany — February 20th, 2012 @ 10:20 am

I just tried out this recipe for a friends birthday and the same thing happened with mine. The white chocolate taste came through very strong, I can hardly taste the cake batter. Oh well as I already made it, and chocolate tastes good anyway…but I wish it had more of a cake batter taste. I used ghiradelli chocolate too. :/

• hollyj801 — March 20th, 2012 @ 11:14 am

Perhaps it needs to be the yellow cake mix?? I haven’t tried to make this yet, but maybe the confetti cake mix doesn’t have as strong of a flavor, since it’s a white cake mix. I doubt the chocolate is the reason, but then again I don’t know! Just a suggestion : )

meredith — January 1, 2012 @ 11:07 pm

Love love your posts about adding cake batter to bark, pancakes etc. Awesome! and a box of cake mix is only $1 and change so worth it.

Lauren Wise — January 21, 2012 @ 4:21 pm

Wow! Thanks for sharing your creativity. I found you on Pintrest and have intentions on making this for my son’s first birthday. I am going to follow you because I love your wit!!! Keep it coming!!

Sara — January 23, 2012 @ 2:27 am

Absolutely amazing! I made this for Christmas and loved it! Also I used the dark chocolate layer idea for peppermint bark. Never making bark without that layer now! Thank you!

Alicia @ The Humble Foodie — February 3, 2012 @ 12:47 pm

This bark is delicious! I’ve made it a few times for friends and family–I like that, while bark is usually a seasonal treat for me, the cake batter makes it something that can be enjoyed year round. I hope you don’t mind that I posted the recipe on my blog as well (and of course credited you, as well as Sweetapolita, where I originally found it). This recipe is the one that most of my friends told me they actually made, and they all loved it! Thanks for this great idea.

Paula@BigBeatCandyCo — February 18, 2012 @ 9:39 am

Oh, this sounds WONDERFUL!! I can’t wait to give it a try! You have a great site! :-)

• Paula@BigBearCandyCo — February 18th, 2012 @ 9:41 am

OOPS! Can’t spell my own name today! Big BEAR, not big “beat!” ;-)

Kat — March 13, 2012 @ 3:08 pm

But…WHY cake mix? You can make bark without it.

• Tammi — March 13th, 2012 @ 7:04 pm

Kat, I think the question is, why not cake mix?? I think it’s a great idea! I make Peppermint Bark every year & love it, I like this variation to another one of my favorite flavors to try.

It’s just something fun…if it bothers you, you really don’t have to make it.

• Colleen — December 23rd, 2013 @ 2:37 pm

Um…so that it’s cake batter flavored?

Nana — March 14, 2012 @ 8:46 am

hmm…I do have a question but after reading the comments on here I have a feeling that eyes are going to pop out if I post it…

first of all: this was the first recipe I read on this page and I am reading this from half-way around the world, so, can anyone PLEASE explain to me what cake mix is??? or how I can substitute it? Because I REALLY want to try this!

• Beatriz E — April 3rd, 2012 @ 11:14 pm

Came mix is all the dry ingredients used in making a cake. Came mix is purchased here in a box, and usually you only have to add eggs and butter or oil in order to make a cake. For the bark recipe, you would not add anything to the cake mix. I hope it makes sense.

• Beatriz E — April 3rd, 2012 @ 11:21 pm

If you cannot find cake mix in your country, then I suggest that you get a vanilla cake recipe and mix all the dry ingredients and this would be your homemade “cake mix” that you can add to the bark recipe (only 3 teaspoons of it).

Ally Jean — March 21, 2012 @ 11:20 am

OMG! Birthday Cake Bark will be PERFECT for my birthday this Friday. This is just too cute!

I featured your recipe on my blog, stop by and say hello!

Syl Grant — March 31, 2012 @ 6:32 pm

Thank you for this!! I’ve been searching for days for a recipe to satisfy some weird craving I’ve had recently. This is the one!!! Also what I love about this (also being a sprinkle fan) is that I can use this for any occasion just by changing the colour of the sprinkles. Thanks

nicole — April 1, 2012 @ 12:29 pm

okay so picked up the wrong chocolate, and got milk chocolate instead….but still tastes incredible! AND now I have a reason to make more (with dark chocolate next time)!!! Thanks for sharing this, this is a great Easter candy treat for my kiddos!

AC — May 2, 2012 @ 3:05 am

Thanks for this post! I’ve been looking for some good treats to have at my 25 b-day party this year (It’s Willy Wonka themed for the kid inside) I wanted something that said “birthday” without being an actual birthday cake… now I can have my “cake” and eat it, too! P.S. Brownie mix in chocolate is good too ;)

Ellen — May 2, 2012 @ 11:36 am

I am making this at the weekend for my daughter’s figure skating club competition, not sure how it will turn out as I live in the UK and things are slightly different here, but I know I can buy Lindt chocolate here for sure. I am sure this will be amazing because I happen to think peppermint bark is the most delicious thing on the whole planet, and once I make this, then I am sure that the cake batter bark will top it!!

Krisitn Morris — May 23, 2012 @ 10:12 am

I wonder what this would taste like with red velvet cake mix and the dark and white chocolate? HMM… DOING IT!

Jaime — June 17, 2012 @ 11:21 pm

Just made this and it turned out perfectly!! It was super easy and fun to make!! So pretty and yummy!

EventingPony — June 27, 2012 @ 10:53 am

Made this once.. never again!
    I swear I didn’t look at chocolate the same way (and without feeling ill) for several long months.
    A contributing factor to this *may* have been my consuming a whole batch.. In one night..

Note to self: moderation is key (pshh, like anyone ever follows that rule ;P)

natoya — August 13, 2012 @ 5:11 pm

this is for sure on my christmas bake list to friends!!!!

Vivian — October 13, 2012 @ 2:16 am

I know this is an older post, but I was wondering what size baking sheet should be suitable? Thank you =)

rose — October 16, 2012 @ 2:56 am

How can you top this?? I’ll tell you…angel food bark!!! Nom nom

Kayleigh — December 1, 2012 @ 7:56 am

This stuff is delicious, but my favorite kind is something i make around christmas time. White chocolate with mint oreos and candy canes smashed up and dumped in. and if that’s too much mint for you, you can always use regular oreos, either way you’ll still want to eat the entire thing.

Amber DeGrace — December 7, 2012 @ 3:11 pm

I followed the directions precisely. The chocolates separated when I started breaking it, and the sprinkles didn’t stick because the white chocolate cooled off too quickly from the super cold dark chocolate base.

Ashley B. — December 17, 2012 @ 3:04 pm

I had the same problem as a few others–the chocolates separated and very few sprinkles stayed in place. I plan to give it another go but am hoping this time has better results…

Courtney — February 22, 2013 @ 4:44 pm

I made this last night, followed the directions exactly and I had the same problem a few others have mentioned: The dark chocolate bottom separated from the white chocolate when I started breaking it into “bark”. Any tips or suggestions on how to make the layers stick to each other? Perhaps I had the dark chocloate layer in the freezer too long?

Kim — April 24, 2013 @ 8:29 pm

hi jessica,
    great site. i am planning a sprinkle for one of my friends, and this was one of the top things that i kept seeing over and over on pinterest after simply typing “sprinkles.” also, she has been craving cake batter ice cream through out this pregnancy, so your bark covers all the bases!

Youlanda Limes — April 25, 2013 @ 7:24 pm

Dessert is the usually sweet course that concludes a meal. The food that composes the dessert course includes but is not limited to sweet foods. There is a wide variety of desserts in western cultures now including cakes, cookies, biscuits, gelatins, pastries, ice creams, pies, pudding, and candies. Fruit is also commonly found in dessert courses because of its natural sweetness.;’

Go and visit our own blog as well
    <a href="http://www.caramoanpackage.com/caramoan-tour-package

Benny Sirhan — May 5, 2013 @ 11:35 pm

Figure skating is a sport and activity in which individuals, duos, or groups perform on figure skates on ice. The four Olympic disciplines are men’s singles, ladies’ singles, pair skating, and ice dancing. Non-Olympic disciplines include synchronized skating and four skating. In senior-level competition, skaters generally perform two programs (short and long) which, depending on the discipline, may include spins, jumps, moves in the field, lifts, throw jumps, death spirals, and other elements or moves.:.

My very own web portal
    <http://caramoan.co/

Hey! I just would like to give an enormous thumbs up for
    the nice info you’ve here on this post. I will be coming again to your
    blog for more soon.

dieta — July 2, 2013 @ 12:54 am

Cuantos KILOS de grasa cres que seguro para ti.
    Los diferentes planes de dieta funcionan diferente para diferentes personas.
    Algunas dietas de moda y pldoras para perder peso no son
    seguros. dieta A razo que alm das vantagens efeito rpido e ti.
    De hecho, hay tantos recursos que trabajar con
    ellos y determinar qu plan de dieta funciona mejor para ti
    puede ser abrumador y confuso.

Despus del xito de perder peso haciendo dieta, cmo puedes volver a los alimentos ejercicios con regularidad puede ser difcil en un primer
    momento, sers recompensado y recompensada por los resultados.

como perder barriga Tenga buenos bocadillos alrededor todo el tiempo.
    Porciones de frutas, yogur, nueces no beber refrescos o cortar azcares adicionales para lograr una dieta saludable.

Conseguir dinero — September 16, 2013 @ 5:41 am

I’m really impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your
    blog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it
    yourself? Either way keep up the nice quality writing,
    it’s rare to see a great blog like this one today.

seguro barato para carro — September 22, 2013 @ 5:00 am

Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you penning this write-up plus the rest of the site is also
    really good.

Good post. I will be dealing with some of these issues as well..

Kristen — December 8, 2013 @ 5:07 pm

Hello! Great that I came across your site as I love various recipes too. I saw this and had to pin it because the best time to make chocolate bark in my opinion is during the winter holiday. I made this but I used equal amount of dark chocolate and white chocolate (IKEA for the dark and Lindt for the white). I am glad that this called for cake batter mix because I had some I had already opened and used partially so this was a great excuse to use some more of it. Even with a couple of drops of condensation from the bowl used during my double boiler hitting the chocolate (I was scared it would be ruined) the chocolates molded perfectly. This recipe was super easy and going against my paleo diet (no refined sugar, no carbs, no dairy no processed foods) I tried a small piece and OMG…DELISH! I loved this recipe and would make it again. I think it is something so simple and inexpensive (chocolate more or less lol) and yet something kind of fancy. Thanks again!

1 3 4 5