Go put on your stretchy pants.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip I howsweeteats.com

Seriously. Do it now.
Some days, I find that certain recipes speak to me. Better-Than-Crack-Brownies, Peanut Butter Pretzel Truffles, Cake Batter Bark… those things excite me. This only has happened a handful of times and when I find or create a delicious recipe that I am so passionate about, I can hardly wait to share it with all of you. After all, these recipes wouldn’t be as much fun without you.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip I howsweeteats.com

This is the situation I found myself in late Monday evening. Sometimes, the best recipes come from you. Never hesitate to tell me about them! A reader, Amber, emailed me to share this delicious recipe. I nearly fell off my chair.

Or the couch from which I was laying on after eating 16 snickerdoodles. It happens.
I couldn’t wait to make it. In fact, I nearly got my rump off the couch and whipped it up at 10:00 pm. But then I remembered that I would want to photograph this amazing creation. And then I also remembered that I would be left all by my lonesome with this dip. It would be close to midnight. I would be in sweatpants. I would eat until my heart was content. I would never fall sleep. I would want to face-plant into cookie dough dip.
I decided to wait.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip I howsweeteats.com

You can only imagine what I did first thing yesterday morning. I don’t even think I’ve bounded out of bed like that for freshly fried bacon.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip I howsweeteats.com

So let’s hit all the major points:

1. Super simple (and fast!) to make? Check.

2. Easy enough that you most likely have the ingredients in your house right now? Check. (hint, hint… breakfast!)

3. Freakishly delicious and pants-popping? Double check.
I served it with animal crackers, but for the last 36 hours all I’ve been thinking about are more delectable dippers that would be fabulous. Graham crackers, Nilla Wafers, juicy apples, salty pretzels, homemade cookies, cinnamon sugar pita chips… the list goes on and on. Pick your poison.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip I howsweeteats.com

Or you can do dirty things like eat it with a spoon.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip I howsweeteats.com

Cookie Dough Dip

makes about 1 1/2 cups

1/2 cup butter

1/3 cup brown sugar

1 8-ounce block of cream cheese, softened

1/2 cup powdered sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

3/4 cups chocolate chips

Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add brown sugar and whisk until sugar dissolves and mixture starts to bubble. Set aside to cool, and whisk in vanilla.

Cream together cream cheese and powdered sugar for 60 seconds. With mixer on low speed, add in brown sugar and butter mixture. Mix until combined. I added the chocolate chips at this time so the mixer could break them up into pieces. You can so that, or just fold in the chocolate chips.

Garnish with additional chopped chocolate. Serves with fruit, cookies, crackers, pretzels or a spoon.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip I howsweeteats.com

Oh! I almost left out the most important piece of the recipe that Amber shared. Cookie dough dip “has zero calories when eaten with friends.”

I think I love this girl.

393 Responses to “Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip.”

Kat — December 15, 2010 @ 11:07 pm

Your blog makes me so, so happy. I can’t wait to make this. I’m making cake batter bark this weekend!

• Jessica — December 16th, 2010 @ 3:20 am

Thank you! That’s such a sweet compliment.

the country cook @ Delightful Country Cookin — December 16, 2010 @ 12:09 am

Oh my. It sounded good, but I wasn’t sold until the picture of the dip on the cookie. Then I swooned.

Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life — December 16, 2010 @ 12:21 am

Looks so delish!

Lisa @ Dishes of Mrs. Fish — December 16, 2010 @ 12:47 am

My aunt makes a similar cannoli dip! Love this! Which goes great with vanilla waffers, animal crackers, oreos, bare fingers…whatever. :)

• Jessica — December 16th, 2010 @ 3:17 am

Cannoli dip?! Amazing!

DessertForTwo — December 16, 2010 @ 1:08 am

Whoever invented this should be Sainted! Thanks so much for spreading the word! :)

Arez — December 16, 2010 @ 1:23 am

I think I’ve found my new favorite food blog. The items you listed and made in this post made me want to go buy stretchy pants. I HATE stretchy pants. I am so making every thing you mentioned in this post this weekend. That could be dangerous for my health huh? But not if I share with friends!

• Jessica — December 16th, 2010 @ 3:16 am

Thanks Arez!

Sarah B. — December 16, 2010 @ 1:28 am

Jessica, are you trying to kill me?! This looks amazing, I just made your cookie dough truffles and they are great. I made them for a party I am having this Saturday and I might have to make this as well. It can be considered healthy if I eat it with fruit right…?

• Jessica — December 16th, 2010 @ 3:15 am

Definitely!

Leanne — December 16, 2010 @ 1:40 am

OMG. that looks insanely good. i wish you could taste things through the computer screen.

PS Jessica – I am starting my own blog, and your recipes have been such inspiration, so thank you!!

• Jessica — December 16th, 2010 @ 3:14 am

Congrats on starting your blog!

Serena Schmidt — December 16, 2010 @ 2:21 am

Wow. This is my first experience reading your blog and I am completely hooked! Your taste in recipes and your astounding writing ability will have me coming back for more, thank you!!

• Jessica — December 16th, 2010 @ 3:13 am

Thank you so much Serena!

lynn @ the actors diet — December 16, 2010 @ 2:39 am

i want to dip double stuffed oreo cookies in that dip.

• Jessica — December 16th, 2010 @ 3:11 am

Let’s do it.

Megan — December 16, 2010 @ 2:52 am

and… I found my work potluck dish!

…it’s the thought that counts… right?

• Jessica — December 16th, 2010 @ 3:10 am

For sure!

• Megan — December 17th, 2010 @ 4:47 am

I made it and didn’t eat it all…

let’s hope the troops like it. I wouldn’t say what I was making only “it’s not my fault if you gain 10lbs tomorrow!”

Your blog is quickly becoming the number one most viewed page in my browser

:-)

• Jessica — December 17th, 2010 @ 4:48 am

Thank you so much Megan!

Maggie @ Vittles and Bits — December 16, 2010 @ 3:51 am

AHHH this looks amazing!!! My husband loooves cookie dough, so I always set aside a little bit of dough for my husband whenever I make a batch of cookies. This would not last long in our household!

• Maggie @ Vittles and Bits — December 16th, 2010 @ 3:52 am

And… I said “my husband” twice in that sentence. YIKES! The amazingness of the cookie dip has turned my brain into pudding :)

Jun — December 16, 2010 @ 4:07 am

Argh!!! So delicious!!! I gotta make this right away!!!

Sarah:) — December 16, 2010 @ 4:20 am

*droooooool*

That is all.

Laura — December 16, 2010 @ 4:59 am

I’m dying a little inside because I’m not eating this right now. Tomorrow is my birthday…and I’m eating this for breakfast. Heck. Yeah.

• Jessica — December 16th, 2010 @ 5:16 am

Happy birthday!

Jenna — December 16, 2010 @ 7:05 am

Cookie dough dip? Yes, please.

Cherine — December 16, 2010 @ 8:17 am

Oh this is mouthwatering!!

Arez — December 16, 2010 @ 1:00 pm

How long do you think this will last in the fridge? As in…can I make it a day ahead to bring to a friends?

• Jessica — December 16th, 2010 @ 1:04 pm

Yes definitely. I still have a little in the fridge and it is great. I would just try to let it sit out for about 30 minutes before serving,

Kat — December 16, 2010 @ 1:34 pm

I always have my stretchy pants on!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — December 16, 2010 @ 3:04 pm

That is sooooo wrong! I love it! I’m dreaming up all of the fabulous things I will dip in it when I make it (which I absolutely will)… Pretzels are pretty high up on my list right now.

Ingrid — December 16, 2010 @ 5:09 pm

Another delicious dessert! :)

marla {family fresh cooking} — December 16, 2010 @ 5:50 pm

A cookie dough DIP – – -Love this!! Very good idea. XO

Becca — December 16, 2010 @ 7:16 pm

*POP* *POP* *POP* Those, my dear, were the buttons bursting from my chef’s coat….

I shared your recipe with my baking instructor this morning (I have baking rotation from 7-10am) and after cleaning the drool off of our chins, she and I were in complete agreement… your dip became our breakfast! God bless your sweet SWEET soul <3

• Jessica — December 17th, 2010 @ 4:47 am

That is awesome! Thanks!

Alicia — December 16, 2010 @ 7:18 pm

This is so naughty! I love that you served it with animal crackers!

Brian @ A Thought For Food — December 16, 2010 @ 7:37 pm

I think you’ve officially blown my mind with this dip!!! This would be fantastic to serve at a party… great of the munchies!

Jenny — December 17, 2010 @ 12:39 am

Just discovered your site and can’t help wondering if it’s actually me blogging in my sleep – I love food the same amount! My heart squeals with joy at the sound of this dip… thank you!

• Jessica — December 17th, 2010 @ 4:37 am

Thank YOU!

Tracy — December 17, 2010 @ 3:52 am

Holy cow. I need to get some of that in my stomach right. now.

nicole @ our three reasons — December 17, 2010 @ 6:04 am

holy crap. :)

Mindy@FinindSilverLinings — December 17, 2010 @ 4:14 pm

I love you for this.

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — December 17, 2010 @ 6:11 pm

This is incredible! I could eat the whole bowl in one sitting, no joke. My seams are stretching just thinking about it :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — December 18, 2010 @ 6:29 am

I am going to put that on my turkey.

Andrea — December 18, 2010 @ 4:41 pm

My daughter sent me the link to your blog and suggested I make this for my staff Christmas party. I made it last night and it was a big hit. Someone else brought what they called a “Chocolate Cheesecake Ball,” which was all of the same ingredients, but the brown sugar was not cooked with the butter, everything was just added together. Hers looked and tasted completely different. Hers was white, and mine was the creamy brown color.Mine had a caramel taste to it, due to the brown sugar being melted with the better. I served it with pretzel dipping sticks and vanilla wafers. Delicious! Thanks for this recipe!

Beth@Give a girl the right shoes — December 19, 2010 @ 3:02 pm

I am definitely going to try this recipe for my work pot-luck this week!!

Leanne @ A Lot on my Plate — December 19, 2010 @ 11:55 pm

So, I am already a follower of your blog.. but today this page popped up on http://www.stumbleupon.com. I don’t know if you have ever used it before, but its a fun time-killing site where you put in your interests and press stumble, and it takes you to random sites that you may enjoy..
    Needless to say, I was super excited to see your site pop up! And it shows that it really knows my interests because I love your blog! I just started my own, so I love looking at others to see how they do everything. Thanks for all the great recipes!

Amanda @ Low Cost Luxury — December 20, 2010 @ 12:24 am

This looks insane! I will definitely be trying it out this holiday season!

Angel — December 20, 2010 @ 3:39 am

OMG!!!!! I made this for an open house Christmas party today!!! I barely got the bowl uncovered when people heard what it was and started devouring it!!! I served it with Christmas shaped pretzels and told them to try it with the granny smith apples and it was DIVINE!!!!!

alisha — December 20, 2010 @ 4:50 pm

thank you thank you thank you! Your recipe popped up on Stumbleupon.com and I will never be the same! I made this for a christmas party last night and served it with a tray of nilla wafers, pretzels, cookies, and apples…it was a HIT everyone LOVED it!!

• Jessica — December 20th, 2010 @ 8:35 pm

You are so welcome!

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) — December 20, 2010 @ 7:29 pm

no.. you did not just go there.. this is beyond imaginable

Angela (Oh She Glows) — December 21, 2010 @ 7:16 pm

Ohhh my gawwwwwwd!!!!!!!!!!

• Jessica — December 21st, 2010 @ 7:19 pm

I’m counting on you to veganize this! Think it can be done?

• stampylisa — December 22nd, 2010 @ 2:36 pm

Tofutti for the cream cheese, Earth Balance for the buttah and Enjoy Life Foods-soy free dairy free choc chips for the choc chips. maybe?? I need to stock up on Tofutti at TJ’s and hope that the walmart by my work has Earth Balance like the walmarts down in florida do….. Must. Try. It.

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2010 @ 10:18 pm

Yes! You must and then report back.

• stampylisa — December 28th, 2010 @ 9:46 pm

it was YUMMY!!!! I did as stated: Earth Balance for the buttah and Tofutti for the cream cheese. I don’t have a mixer right now, so I put the softened tofutti/powdered sugah in my Magic Bullet, and added the Earth Balance/bron sugah combo to it. it took a little bit to get it whirring, but I pulsed it so that it worked. I folded in the
          Enjoy Life chocolate chips and stuck it in the fridge til I went to my cousins. It was so good. I brought 1/2 the batch to work yesterday & we ate it almost all up. my co-worker thinks it would be better w/real cream cheese, but I prefer the Tofutti. I’m not 100% vegan, but i try to limit my cheese consumption and replaced all regular milk w/alternates in my house years ago since my husb is dairy allergic.

• Jessica — December 28th, 2010 @ 9:58 pm

Awesome!!

stampylisa — December 22, 2010 @ 2:33 pm

awwww man, just when you think it’s safe to read blogs. Girly, I need the cookie dough dip that makes ya lose your extra holiday bingeing rolls.

Cara — December 22, 2010 @ 2:58 pm

Hi Jessica – I had the bright idea to use cookie dough dip as a filling and frosting for a chocolate cake. Do you think it would be the right consistency?

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2010 @ 10:17 pm

That sounds amazing!! I think it could definitely work as a filling, but I’m not sure about a frosting. At room temperature (how it’s normally served) it’s almost a bit… runny? And I think it may be too firm when refrigerated. But it’s totally worth a try!

• stampylisa — December 28th, 2010 @ 9:47 pm

i agree, i think as a filling it would work. then cover the cake in chocolate frosting and there ya go. bite after bite of heaven on earth. lol!

casketsalesman — December 23, 2010 @ 1:04 am

that just looks absolutely amazing, i must taste and try it

Victoria — December 23, 2010 @ 3:42 pm

I’ve been reading your blog for awhile now and just made this last night. Umm, holy crud. Why didn’t someone think of this earlier? Is it bad that I used a cookie as my dipping vessel?

• Jessica — December 24th, 2010 @ 12:42 am

It is brilliant!

erin — December 23, 2010 @ 5:47 pm

i made this for a work party yesterday and served it with nilla wafers and pretzel sticks. yumtastic!!!! i just saw the snickerdoodle version. i’m going to cookie dough dip myself into oblivion….

melissa — December 24, 2010 @ 2:21 am

ummm, yeah, on the “must make soon” list :)

Keaton Buster — December 31, 2010 @ 8:55 pm

This looks so delicious! There’s still a few hours until I start my healthy-eating New Years Resolution……

ari — December 31, 2010 @ 11:22 pm

i just stumbledupon this recipe hahahaha

Chelsea — December 31, 2010 @ 11:24 pm

Of course I find this recipe on the LAST day of the year, my designated “Eat anything I want all day” day! And no cream cheese in this house, tear!

Katherine @ Grass Stains — January 2, 2011 @ 2:07 am

I’m planning to post the recipe and a link to your site tomorrow morning on my blog if you don’t mind. This looks FABULOUS!

Cinds — January 3, 2011 @ 11:20 am

Wow, these worked a treat, thanks so much for the decent recipe.
    Btw, if anyone is after a good profiteroles recipe, this one is excellent: