Go put on your stretchy pants.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip I howsweeteats.com

Seriously. Do it now.
Some days, I find that certain recipes speak to me. Better-Than-Crack-Brownies, Peanut Butter Pretzel Truffles, Cake Batter Bark… those things excite me. This only has happened a handful of times and when I find or create a delicious recipe that I am so passionate about, I can hardly wait to share it with all of you. After all, these recipes wouldn’t be as much fun without you.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip I howsweeteats.com

This is the situation I found myself in late Monday evening. Sometimes, the best recipes come from you. Never hesitate to tell me about them! A reader, Amber, emailed me to share this delicious recipe. I nearly fell off my chair.

Or the couch from which I was laying on after eating 16 snickerdoodles. It happens.
I couldn’t wait to make it. In fact, I nearly got my rump off the couch and whipped it up at 10:00 pm. But then I remembered that I would want to photograph this amazing creation. And then I also remembered that I would be left all by my lonesome with this dip. It would be close to midnight. I would be in sweatpants. I would eat until my heart was content. I would never fall sleep. I would want to face-plant into cookie dough dip.
I decided to wait.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip I howsweeteats.com

You can only imagine what I did first thing yesterday morning. I don’t even think I’ve bounded out of bed like that for freshly fried bacon.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip I howsweeteats.com

So let’s hit all the major points:

1. Super simple (and fast!) to make? Check.

2. Easy enough that you most likely have the ingredients in your house right now? Check. (hint, hint… breakfast!)

3. Freakishly delicious and pants-popping? Double check.
I served it with animal crackers, but for the last 36 hours all I’ve been thinking about are more delectable dippers that would be fabulous. Graham crackers, Nilla Wafers, juicy apples, salty pretzels, homemade cookies, cinnamon sugar pita chips… the list goes on and on. Pick your poison.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip I howsweeteats.com

Or you can do dirty things like eat it with a spoon.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip I howsweeteats.com

Cookie Dough Dip

makes about 1 1/2 cups

1/2 cup butter

1/3 cup brown sugar

1 8-ounce block of cream cheese, softened

1/2 cup powdered sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

3/4 cups chocolate chips

Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add brown sugar and whisk until sugar dissolves and mixture starts to bubble. Set aside to cool, and whisk in vanilla.

Cream together cream cheese and powdered sugar for 60 seconds. With mixer on low speed, add in brown sugar and butter mixture. Mix until combined. I added the chocolate chips at this time so the mixer could break them up into pieces. You can so that, or just fold in the chocolate chips.

Garnish with additional chopped chocolate. Serves with fruit, cookies, crackers, pretzels or a spoon.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip I howsweeteats.com

Oh! I almost left out the most important piece of the recipe that Amber shared. Cookie dough dip “has zero calories when eaten with friends.”

I think I love this girl.

393 Responses to “Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip.”

LlamaMama — January 5, 2011 @ 4:39 am

:'( this sounds fabulous, but i dont like cream cheese. does it taste like it??

mussa — January 7, 2011 @ 6:56 pm

Yummmmy! This recipe has 2149 calories. I’ll just eat it by itself for breakfast lunch and dinner :). Or run 20 miles. Thanks for this!!!!!

Kristen — January 7, 2011 @ 9:19 pm

Holy moly – this is being made ASAP! Yummmmmmm overload!

Becca — January 8, 2011 @ 7:59 pm

Ms. Jessica, mine tastes like straight-up cream cheese, and I followed directions carefully. I personally hate cream cheese, but I’ll still make delicious treats with it because it’s not so prominent when mixed with other things. (Oreo balls, for example.) Is there something I can do so it’s not so overbearing?

• Luv What You Do — August 7th, 2011 @ 6:10 pm

So did mine : (
      I ended up adding in a lot of chocolate syrup and renaming it Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Dip. I served it with grahams which tasted good!

• Lisa — December 21st, 2011 @ 6:47 pm

I agree…more like Cheesecake than cookie dough! Delicious, but not cookie dough!

• Luv What You Do — August 7th, 2011 @ 7:44 pm

So did mine : ( And I’m not a big fan of cream cheese flavored things either.
      I added chocolate syrup and renamed the dip chocolate chip cheesecake dip…served with graham crackers. Should be good!

• Dana B — October 27th, 2011 @ 2:32 pm

fyi, I followed the recipe ingredient amount exactly. The key is to make sure the brown sugar butter mixture is completely cool. I was being impatient so I stuck that part in the freezer to cool. You want it cooled to the point that there’s no separate melted butter. You don’t want to reform the stick tho :) If you use the freezer, take it out after a few minutes, stir it, and pop it back in for a few more minutes. If you have a few reformed bits of butter, that’s ok. Once it’s thick, then stir it into the cream cheese. A very luxurious, rich dip.

Katie Gold — January 8, 2011 @ 11:24 pm

Oh my god I can’t wait to serve this at my next get together party with all my girlfriends!

haylee vieregg — January 12, 2011 @ 5:09 am

You make it look so healthy! I love it!

Jennifer @ Savory Simple — January 12, 2011 @ 6:53 pm

This sounds delicious!

Jonathan Aguirre — January 13, 2011 @ 8:22 pm

Is this really a “zero calories”? How’s that so?

Sonya — January 17, 2011 @ 11:35 pm

omg! I WANT THIS NOW!

Stacy Hawkins — January 24, 2011 @ 12:10 am

Gott im himmel!! This looks amazing. Found you through a friend’s post on FB, but I’m subscribing right now. I think I actually gained a couple pounds just from your delicious pictures.

~Stacy

Jessica @ Healthy Dairyland — January 24, 2011 @ 5:11 pm

I think I’m going to make this my official Superbowl 45 dip! I might have to make a double batch it looks so good!

Liz — January 25, 2011 @ 11:38 pm

Any idea if we use unsalted or salted butter? I’m guessing salted since it’s not specified, but would love suggestions!

• Jessica — January 25th, 2011 @ 11:51 pm

I usually use unsalted because that is what I tend to buy, but it will be fine with salted too!

Deepa — February 3, 2011 @ 1:51 am

Have you tried the snickerdoodle dip with carrot or sweet potato chips?

• Jessica — February 3rd, 2011 @ 2:04 am

Nope, but that sounds delish!

Elaine — February 4, 2011 @ 5:08 am

I made this with high expectations and am a little disappointed. It tastes like cream cheese. Also, that half a cup of powdered sugar is a crock. I added at least two cups and it’s still runny. I’ll try fixing it tomorrow :/

• Jessica — February 4th, 2011 @ 12:17 pm

Did you use an electric stand mixer? You need an electric mixer. And the amount of sugar called for makes for a creamy dip. There is no problem with adding more!

• Elaine — February 10th, 2011 @ 5:06 am

I used an electric stand mixer.
        I added more sugar and chilled it over night, it was less runny. It still tasted like cream cheese, though. I didn’t want to throw it away so I put it on stiff brownie dough and baked it till it bubbled– pretty good.

Sophie — February 6, 2011 @ 7:37 pm

you are my new favorite blog! I am attempting to make this right at this moment.

Amber — February 6, 2011 @ 8:37 pm

I made a triple batch of this today for superbowl and agree it is a little cream cheesy. I dont think it makes it bad just maybe a tad more sugar would help? I did use a kitchen aid so that wasnt the issue. I didnt have any consistency problems once it was chilled. I did however have most of my chocolate chips melt when I added them to the warm mixture (which is not really avoidable seeing as you add a warm component) , that was a little annoying. I ended up chilling it and adding more chocolate chips to add for the texture. Super bowl hasnt started yet so we will see what the reviews are after :) Thanks for sharing.

jessicaisbaking — February 6, 2011 @ 10:37 pm

this is amazing – I made it for superbowl, trying to stop scooping out spoonfuls!!!!

Brittany Elizabeth — February 7, 2011 @ 4:48 am

Can’t wait to try this!!! Just bookmarked it and will be making it the next time I have dinner or hang-out guests (I don’t trust myself alone with it either :) )

Christine — February 7, 2011 @ 11:15 am

I wish I had this for breakfast. like NOW! I will be making it in the very near future :)

Marie — February 8, 2011 @ 6:45 pm

So today at work, I had lunch with my two pregnant friends. One of them mentioned that she ate raw cookie dough for the Super Bowl and that she probably shouldn’t have because of the raw egg. The other one chimed in by saying that she’ll eat the stuff out the package which is even worse. I mentioned that I found a recipe (yours) for cookie dough dip that is egg-free and that they could eat it with a spoon if they wanted to. Now, you have to know my friends, but like with any pregnant girl, I’m assuming that the sound of raw cookie dough with no guilt or harm attached to it must sound like Christmas in July. They looked at me with such big eyes that I instantly promised to make it for them tomorrow… one batch regular, one batch peanut butter. Thank God for this recipe and how easy and yummy it is!

• Jackie — May 2nd, 2011 @ 2:19 pm

Pregnant girl here!! Currently eating this with a spoon and a glass of cold milk!! It is perfection!

Malaysia Tour Packages — February 14, 2011 @ 1:21 pm

I have just stumbled it. I’ gonna try this

Katy — February 15, 2011 @ 7:00 pm

I ran across a version of this recipe that folds in a half-tub of Cool Whip (or real whipped cream, if you prefer) right before chilling. Everything else is the same.

Apparently this cuts the “cream cheesey” flavor a few folks have complained about.

I’m thinking about making it both ways and deciding which I like best…why the heck not, right?

MATHEW CANTER — February 16, 2011 @ 2:45 pm

yummy yummy, Though I am a weight conscious person,I will try it on weekends.

Kelly — March 2, 2011 @ 10:25 pm

MMM…it looks marvelous! Question though, for the chocolate chips do you use milk chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate?

• Jessica — March 2nd, 2011 @ 10:38 pm

Either is fine, it’s your personal preference. I usually use milk!

tim — March 3, 2011 @ 11:26 pm

i just ate a tub of cookie dough

betsy — March 6, 2011 @ 5:21 pm

i need to make this asap!

Sippin Syrup — March 19, 2011 @ 5:55 am

OH MY WORD! I think I’m in heaven! This cookie dough dip totally made my day, can’t wait to make it!

Pam — March 19, 2011 @ 3:36 pm

I tried to make this for a party, and it turned out like cream cheese frosting with chocolate chips in it :/ It didn’t turn brown like yours either.

Jedd — March 23, 2011 @ 6:24 pm

So I just stumbled upon this site and saw this amazing recipe and obviously had to make it.. Delishhhh! Only problem is, after refrigerating, it become rock solid.. Any idea why? Even after sitting out a bit, I couldn’t get it back to that creamy consistency. The only thing I did differently was substitute marscapone for the cream cheese..

Amie @ Pinkapotamus — March 30, 2011 @ 3:16 pm

I don’t think that I have ever wanted to be an animal cracker as nuch as I do right now! I think I would have to dive right in!

Gina M — April 2, 2011 @ 8:25 pm

I made a double batch of this for a work even yesterday and it was devoured! It was my first time making it, and I will definitely it add to my collection.

I did have to tweak the recipe since half way through making it I realized the bag of chocolate chips I thought I had leftover had actually gone into the chocolate chip pancakes I made a few weeks ago. I was panicked since it was 11:00 at night and definitely was not going to the grocery store. Luckily, I found a bag of dark chocolate hershey kisses and chopped them up to use instead. It was a hit, especially since some of the chunks were large.

Thanks for this great recipe! Have you thought about a cookbook?

• Jessica — April 3rd, 2011 @ 9:46 am

Thanks Gina! Working on one!

Lucy @ Lucyeats — April 7, 2011 @ 10:31 pm

Hey Jessica,

I stumbled upon your recipe last year and have been itching to make it ever since. I finally got around to it last week for a friend’s birthday party and here are the results: http://lucyeats.blogspot.com/2011/04/chocolate-chip-cookie-dough-dip.html

Thanks for the amazing recipe!

Jen — April 13, 2011 @ 12:23 pm

I almost fell over when I stumbled on this gem. I am shaking as I write this. What a fantasticly yummy idea. :)

tash — April 13, 2011 @ 3:59 pm

this is almost identical to a cookie dough frosting I made a few month Back. Looks good Lady

Kimberly — April 17, 2011 @ 12:04 am

Looking at the ingredients, I truly do not understand how this has no calories. I feel like I must be missing something obvious. Can someone enlighten me please?

• Misty — August 26th, 2011 @ 3:50 pm

It was a joke- no calories when shared with friends. Just because you share it with friends, doesn’t take out the calories.

fajas colombianas — April 19, 2011 @ 11:26 am

Now only time will tell when I would be getting my new pants

Holly Day — April 26, 2011 @ 6:51 am

Mmmmmm! This cookie dough dip looks quite yummy! I’m literaly mouthwatering… and now I’m hungry. Luckily for me, it’s noon, so I can go prepare something to eat. Saving this recipe and sharing the page!

Jessalyn — May 17, 2011 @ 10:54 pm

yeah so i’m giving in and making it right now, at 11pm. definitely going to have to work my BUTT off tomorrow to make up for it…..

Krista — June 5, 2011 @ 7:00 pm

this looks amazing!!! where do you buy those cute plates/bowls you put your treats into?

Garth — June 15, 2011 @ 5:59 pm

It is the best.. so addictive..died and went to heaven

mei wan — June 20, 2011 @ 1:57 am

is there any substitute for the cream cheese…kind of hard…no impossible…to get it in this foreign country…thx

• Jessica — June 20th, 2011 @ 6:50 am

Hmmm I really can’t think of any substitute. Maybe just some canned frosting and omit the sugar in the recipe? But it would be very sweet.

• Jes — September 16th, 2011 @ 5:47 pm

Try and see if you can find marscipone cheese. It is sort of like an italian cream cheese, very yummy and would probably work well as a substitute.

Selena — July 9, 2011 @ 4:12 pm

I made this for our Superbowl party and it was delicious with those square pretzels. For those who thought it tasted to cream cheesy try making it with dark brown sugar. I think that really made the taste and coloring of the recipe better along with using real butter and not margarine. I just came back to get the recipe again for a birthday party. Thanks for posting it!

kaitlin — July 12, 2011 @ 6:59 pm

can’t wait to try this. i think after reading some of the comments though i’ll let the mixture chill for a while and then fold in mini chips. i absolutely love cream cheese so that won’t be an issue at all here :)
    sounds a bit like a connoli filling. come to think of it, it would make a perfect connoli filling.

eileensideways — July 26, 2011 @ 1:35 pm

i think the recipe should be renamed as chocolate chip cookie dough cheesecake dip. i thought it was delicious and everyone wanted the recipe, which i wouldn’t give them.

Chrissy — July 29, 2011 @ 12:08 pm

what is this geniously constructed dip? I seriously cannot believe my eyes. Ah-mazzzing!

Candice H. — August 19, 2011 @ 5:38 pm

I dont really mind the cream cheese taste but I do have a question about how to make my cream cheese not chunky.. it still tastes good but there were a bunch of little chunks. any advice?

• Jessica — August 19th, 2011 @ 5:50 pm

Was your cream cheese room temperature and did you use an electric mixer? The best way to get it smooth is for it to be softened and just continue to beat it.

• Candice H. — August 19th, 2011 @ 5:53 pm

yea, I left it out for a few hours and used an electric mixer.. maybe it should have been softer?

Megan — September 11, 2011 @ 5:30 pm

I just made this. Perfect for a lazy Sunday and to take to my staff meeting. DE-lish.

Pinky572 — October 7, 2011 @ 1:02 pm

This sounds amazing! I can’t wait to try it! Now what about cake batter dip? That sounds do-able and you seem to love cake batter as much as I do!

Renee — October 22, 2011 @ 1:29 pm

Is there anything you can substitute for the cream cheese that is dairy free? Could you just omit it and not replace it with anything? Trying to make this a dairy-free treat too. It sounds so delicious!!! Thanks for sharing :)

Sandra — November 19, 2011 @ 12:53 am

I just came across this…and I had to make it tonight! Oh, my…let me just say, being almost 9 months pregnant, thankfully my pants are already stretchy because I could eat this ALL!! I sliced up a couple apples to dip…words cannot describe the goodness. Thank you so much for posting this!!! :)