Hoho Cake.

Not hoho as in Santa, but hoho as in Hostess. But the name sure is fitting for the holidays, no?

If you’re looking for a non-cookie holiday dessert, you’re in luck. It’s delicious and chocolatey and fun and frisky.

Oh, and it’s really healthy too! It barely has any butter.
Not.

The cake is very simple, but there are a few steps to follow.

Don’t complain though – it just means that you have more bowls and beaters to lick.

I gotta tell you… I am not a fan of hoho’s. No judgement please. In fact, in my entire life I’ve probably only consumed a bite of one hoho and thrown the rest out. They just don’t do it for me.

So I had no intentions of loving this cake. But our friend Barb first made it for us last year over the holidays and I have wanted to make it ever since. It blew my mind.

It definitely does do it for me.
Don’t ask me why it took me 12 months to make it. I don’t have all the answers. Plus, my mouth is full.

The cake covers all bases. If you love hoho’s, you will absolutely adore this cake. And if you don’t love hoho’s… you will still want to go to town on this dessert. I promise.
I highly suggest throwing it in the fridge or freezer. Mr. How Sweet is usually the one in this house that loves his cake and frosting chilled, but I have to admit that this cake takes the cake. Especially when chilled. It is pure heaven.

I made it for my brother’s birthday on Sunday, and of course I had to sample a piece before the party.

I kept thinking, just one more bite.

Oaky, maybe another.

HoHo Cake

Your favorite chocolate cake (either boxed mix or from scratch + ingredients)

Preheat oven to 350. Prepare your favorite chocolate cake (I used a Devil’s Food boxed mix). Grease and flour a jelly roll pan. Pour batter in the pan and spread around until it’s even. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes; this will depend on the cake you bake, but begin to check it after 15 minutes.

Remove cake and let cool for 30 minutes. While cake is cooling, mix middle layer.
For middle layer:

1 cup butter

3 cups powdered sugar

½ cup milk

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

¼ teaspoon salt

Cream butter and slowly add the powdered sugar, beating until mixture is thick. Stream in the milk and vanilla extract, beating until the icing is combined and spreadable.  Spread in an even layer on chocolate cake. Set in the freezer for 15 minutes while you make the chocolate frosting.
For chocolate frosting:

½ cup butter

¾ cup cocoa

3 cups powdered sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

8-10 tablespoons of water, added one at a time

Cream butter and vanilla. Add cocoa powder and powdered sugar until combined. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time until mixture is smooth– you want the frosting to be spreadable, but not thin.

Remove cake from freezer and frost. Store in the fridge.

I think we all know how this ended.

130 Responses to “Hoho Cake.”

Candy — December 16, 2010 @ 12:03 pm

OMG!!!! Love Love Love Ho-Ho’s…. I cannot wait to make this! :) You are amazing!!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — December 16, 2010 @ 12:03 pm

Ho Ho Holy cow that cake looks amazing!

I’ll be right over!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — December 16, 2010 @ 12:09 pm

Um…. YUM! I’m not a fan of HoHo’s, but by the looks of this cake, I’d devour it in seconds!

p.s. happy belated bday to your bro :)

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — December 16, 2010 @ 12:10 pm

YES PLEASE! We have a terrible weakness for cleverly named cakes…um and chocolate.

Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl — December 16, 2010 @ 12:20 pm

3 bowls to lick? Yes, please! I am definitely going to make this cake happen!

Liz @ Blog is the New Black — December 16, 2010 @ 12:20 pm

Clever name at this time of year. Thanks for making me fat.

Steph@stephsbitebybite — December 16, 2010 @ 12:29 pm

Love this!! Now if only I had my own slice

• Jessica — December 16th, 2010 @ 12:50 pm

Come over and I’ll give you one!

Nicole, RD — December 16, 2010 @ 12:29 pm

That looks and sounds absolutely evil and amazing :)

Kim in MD — December 16, 2010 @ 12:43 pm

I am also a non-hoho lover, but love all of the flavors in this cake. I’m going to try this recipe making cupcakes, so I can eat one and give the rest away! I don’t want to buy bigger pants, after all! :-)

• Jessica — December 16th, 2010 @ 12:49 pm

Yes! Hoho cupcakes. :)

Tiffany @ Conor & Bella — December 16, 2010 @ 12:48 pm

I love hohos! I don’t eat them anymore but this looks like a good alternative!

Heather — December 16, 2010 @ 12:52 pm

i never liked hohos either, but i’m going to go ahead and make this just to test…you know, keep you honest ;)

Lauren at KeepItSweet — December 16, 2010 @ 1:02 pm

you are killing me here. i might never fit into my pants again!

• Jessica — December 16th, 2010 @ 1:04 pm

Welcome to my world!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — December 16, 2010 @ 1:03 pm

I knew where this was going the second I read the title. Nice work.

Have you ever had a Tastycake? You know, the Philly-only version of Hostess cakes? It’s on my bucket list to recreate those suckers…

• Jessica — December 16th, 2010 @ 1:03 pm

I haven’t but I think I’ve seen people recreate them!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — December 16, 2010 @ 1:11 pm

I’m not a fan of hohos either….but something tells me I would be a fan of this :-)

Erica — December 16, 2010 @ 1:14 pm

Josh and I both enjoy most baked goods chilled…I know, kind of weird. This cake looks delicious- with the layers of goodness. I’ve never heard of a hoho cake

• Jessica — December 16th, 2010 @ 2:42 pm

Not weird at all! That is the only way my husband will eat cakes/cupcakes.

Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life — December 16, 2010 @ 1:14 pm

I don’t like Ho Hos either, but this cake sure does look tasty! I think it would taste good cold too!

Jill — December 16, 2010 @ 1:22 pm

Seeing as how we’re both Pittsburghers, and in light of this Hoho cake, I thought you should know about this:

Sure the story is 3 years old, but I’m sure it’s still true.

• Jessica — December 16th, 2010 @ 2:42 pm

How fitting!

Kylie @ A Hungry Spoon — December 16, 2010 @ 1:22 pm

Dee-lish! I always hated hohos as well (I was never a fan of any of the Hostess pre-packaged sweets–I mean, who wants the processed junk when you can make it fresh at home?!).

Despite my dis-taste for hohos, I have no doubt I would love this cake…it has TWO layers of frosting. ’nuff said :)

• Jessica — December 16th, 2010 @ 2:41 pm

I have never liked or eaten any of those packaged sweets either. My mom didn’t even buy them. I think they are so gross!

Baking 'n' Books — December 16, 2010 @ 1:25 pm

Okay – so between you and Jenna I may as well give up on trying to even eat well over the holidays! The whole cake would be gone in a day! Must. Get. Roommates :)

Cheryl — December 16, 2010 @ 1:28 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever had a hoho, but this cake is a pregnant girl’s dream from the looks of it!

Chrissy — December 16, 2010 @ 1:35 pm

My hometown bakery makes a Ho-Ho cake. It’s a little different- it’s actually a giant Ho-Ho. Obviously I have no idea how they do it, but they roll it up and dip it in chocolate. And oh yeah, as per usual, *drooool*.

Healthy chocoholic — December 16, 2010 @ 1:44 pm

That looks wonderful!!!!!!!!!!! My mom used to make a ding-dong cake, which I think was pretty similar to this one. Love it!!!!

Jasmine — December 16, 2010 @ 1:50 pm

I am the same way! I’ve never finished a ho ho in my life. But then i made homemade ho hos similar to this cake but in a super cute cupcake form:) Just use this recipe but pipe the cream into the center of the cupcake! It is so goood.

the blissful baker — December 16, 2010 @ 1:59 pm

i actually loved hohos as a kid, but haven’t had one in forever! this looks great – i’ll definitely keep it on my list of “things i need to bake immediately!”

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) — December 16, 2010 @ 2:00 pm

Sooooo good!
    I would be happy just to eat the hoho layer, ie. the middle layer, and go directly to heaven after that.

I took a page from your book and posted twice yesterday. The “don’t save it”, just post it advice, thank you. I put it to use :)

Erica — December 16, 2010 @ 2:02 pm

I loved HoHo’s when I was little. This cake looks looks divine!

MelissaNibbles — December 16, 2010 @ 2:07 pm

I would make this with white cake. I think it would still taste just as good.

• Jessica — December 16th, 2010 @ 2:39 pm

It probably would!

Katrina — December 16, 2010 @ 2:10 pm

I’ve never had HoHo’s before but anything homemade is better than store bought. This looks awesome. I’m going to give it a try asap.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — December 16, 2010 @ 2:17 pm

Pretty sure I’d have licked that plate. ;)

Lisa @ Dishes of Mrs. Fish — December 16, 2010 @ 2:37 pm

Oh my goodness. That looks yummy!

Liz — December 16, 2010 @ 2:52 pm

Ugh, stop it with all the sweets this week! No, I’m kidding. I love it – keep it coming!

• Jessica — December 16th, 2010 @ 3:09 pm

Hey! I did post 2 savory recipes this week in preparation. ;)

• Liz — December 16th, 2010 @ 3:56 pm

Haha… I’m just kidding. But every time you post a dessert, I reach for something sweet. It could be dangerous!

Cathy B. @ Bright Bakes — December 16, 2010 @ 3:10 pm

grew up with this stuff..it’s fantastic! :) never had people turn their nose up when I serve it!
    love,
    cathy b. @ brightbakes

• Jessica — December 16th, 2010 @ 3:14 pm

So glad someone else knows what I’m talking about!

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels — December 16, 2010 @ 3:11 pm

I think you’re becoming one of my favorite people ever! I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I saw your cookie dough dip, now I can’t stop drooling after seeing your AMAZING HoHo Cake. Goodness, does it look sooo good, I seriously want to eat the whole cake. Mmmmm :)

• Jessica — December 16th, 2010 @ 3:14 pm

Thank you! :)

lisabbakes — December 16, 2010 @ 3:15 pm

Oh ya, I will be trying this soon!

Amalia — December 16, 2010 @ 3:25 pm

butter.overload.
    Amazing! I love black and white desserts, this looks beautiful! great work!

-Amalia http://buttersweetmelody.wordpress.com

Camille — December 16, 2010 @ 3:37 pm

You rock! I want some now!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — December 16, 2010 @ 3:43 pm

Yes, please! You’re killing me with all of these fabulous baking recipes.

Kacy — December 16, 2010 @ 4:05 pm

YUM! My mom makes cupcakes that taste just like ho ho’s. They are insane.

Amy @ whatjewwannaeat — December 16, 2010 @ 4:22 pm

Totally sold on this recipe. I am going to try it in cupcake form. How precious they will be!

• Jessica — December 16th, 2010 @ 5:37 pm

So cute!

Shanna, like Banana — December 16, 2010 @ 4:24 pm

This is totally doing it for me today. I’d like to come over and sample right now!

• Jessica — December 16th, 2010 @ 5:37 pm

Please do. :)

Natalia - a side of simple — December 16, 2010 @ 4:58 pm

You’re right! Barely any butter ;)

Ingrid — December 16, 2010 @ 5:06 pm

This looks soooo good! Just needs a glass of milk!

Heather — December 16, 2010 @ 5:10 pm

You’ve done it again! What do you do with all of these treats? Do you have a sweets shop or something? I’m amazed by the amount of recipes and blog posts you do. You’re very talented!

• Jessica — December 16th, 2010 @ 5:36 pm

Thank you. :)
      I talk about this in my faqs but I either 1/2 a recipe, or we have a party/friends/family to take it to. I rarely freeze things but sometimes.

HollyL — December 16, 2010 @ 5:25 pm

Oh mY goodness gracious!! This cake looks devine! Ive been looking for a good holiday treat to take to our annual Christmas Eve party.. and I just found it!! Thanks for sharing :)

• Jessica — December 16th, 2010 @ 5:36 pm

I hope you give it a try!

Chelsey (Cookteen) — December 16, 2010 @ 5:50 pm

That looks to die for! My mom loves the faux-tess cupcakes she would LOOOVE this!! Can’t wait!!!

with love and cupcakes,
    Cookteen

EatLiveRun — December 16, 2010 @ 6:21 pm

This look delicious, Jessica! I’m going to a fried chicken dinner party (hehehe) on Saturday night and might make it then!

• Jessica — December 16th, 2010 @ 6:28 pm

That sounds like my kind of party!

Amy @ Serve At Once — December 16, 2010 @ 6:26 pm

My pancreas just collapsed. It just recognized how much of a workout it’s going to get this holiday season, and it’s ALL YOUR FAULT! :)

• Jessica — December 16th, 2010 @ 6:28 pm

I apologize to your pancreas. But not really.

naomi(onefitfoodie) — December 16, 2010 @ 6:40 pm

I am not a HUGE hoho fan but that means NOTHING when this cake is in front of me!

imagine a drop of peppermint extract in the middle layer to make it chocolate peppermint!!!

• Jessica — December 17th, 2010 @ 4:47 am

That would be incredible.

Menollie — December 16, 2010 @ 6:52 pm

This is insane. Me no likey HoHo’s, but I want to try this! Maybe New Year’s…

Katie — December 16, 2010 @ 6:53 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever had a hoho…if I have, it didn’t leave much of a lasting memory. However, this cake looks like a different story. Yes, I want (hoho) cake.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention HoHo Cake | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: ELR holiday desserts — Eat, Live, Run

3. Pingback: The Top 10 Delicious Dinner Ideas in 2010. | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: Cake Batter Pancakes | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: Baked Potato Nachos | How Sweet It Is

6. Pingback: Menu Mondays

7. Pingback: The Story of a Cake

8. Pingback: Make Your Own “Hostess” Favorites! | Sweet City Candy

9. Pingback: Ho Ho Cake, Homemade Reese’s Peanut Butter Bars, Homemade Oreos, Baked Lemon Ziti, Deconstructed Cannoli, & Mozzarella Fonduta…made with l♥ve by the Cookie Mama. |

10. Pingback: HoHo Cake | BakingBlondie

11. Pingback: Make Your Own "Hostess" Favorites! | Bulk Candy and Chocolate for Corporate Events and Parties