There is one fabulous thing about this cake that makes it better than every other cake: simplicity.

All you have to do is throw every ingredient into your food processor and whirl away. Dump it in the pan, set it in the oven, and go do your thing for an hour.

My thing includes not cleaning up the mess I’ve made in the kitchen, then later wondering why the kitchen is such a disgrace.

And tasting recipe ingredients for quality control purposes.

In case you’re wondering, yes, Mr. How Sweet is still living here even though this is the second chocolate + mint combo I have made in a week. But that’s only because I balance it out with chicken, steak, chicken fingers, eggs, and steak.  Otherwise, he’d be out.

Back away from the batter. Slowly.

Some batters and dough make my head spin.

This is one of them. I think it is a combination of the silky deliciousness and ease of recipe.

It comes out tasting like a rich, warm, dense peppermint pattie.

I love that this “cake” is technically a quick bread, because then I can compare it to banana bread and eat it for breakfast. Or for a “healthy” snack.

At least, I could do that until I decided to drip pure, melted dark chocolate on top. This was the best idea I’ve had since the cake batter bark. The chocolate slides down into the cracks and crevices of the loaf which leaves bits of chocolate inside the cake.

And it’s fabulous both warm and cold – just store it in the fridge and the chocolate hardens like fudge on top. You can gift this cake too – buy a few small/medium ceramic loaf pans, bake the cake, tie it up in a bow and give it as a hostess gift. You can never go wrong with chocolate.

I like to fatten people up.

Melt-In-Your-Mouth Mint Chocolate Cake

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract

1/2 cup boiling water

1/2 cup chocolate chips, tossed with flour

3/4 cups mint chips, tossed with flour

Preheat oven to 325.

In a food processor, add all ingredients except for boiling water, chocolate and mint chips, and blend. Once combined, stream in boiling water and blend until chocolate batter is smooth. Remove lid and blade, scraping off any excess batter. Toss chocolate and mint chips with flour (this prevents them from falling to the bottom), and fold into batter.

Spray loaf pan with cooking spray and pour in batter. Set loaf pan on a baking sheet and put in oven. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until cake is no longer jiggly. I baked mine for 60 minutes exactly. Let cake cool completely before removing it from pan.

Note: I used a 10 x 6 1/2 x 3 loaf pan.

Dark Chocolate Glaze

8 ounces dark chocolate (I used Lindt)

Melt chocolate in either the microwave or a double boiled and drizzle over cake.

I’m off to the dentist. I have no idea why I’d have to get a cavity filled. As soon as I come home, I’m sinking my teeth into this. It will feel so dirty.

110 Responses to “Melt-In-Your-Mouth Mint Chocolate Cake.”

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — December 6, 2010 @ 11:54 am

Not even 7am and we’re dying for a slice of this! Can we call it breakfast!? Chocolate and mint and delicious gooey sauce!? This is definitely getting made!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — December 6, 2010 @ 11:55 am

Girl, you just continue to top yourself every week! These recipes keep on getting better and better! This looks AMAZING!!!

I wonder how this would taste with chopped up peppermint patties inside? Hmmmmm……..

Cathy B. @ Bright Bakes — December 6, 2010 @ 11:56 am

Wow….quick+easy+chocolate+mint.(i obviously don’t share Mr. Sweet’s affliction! :) ) Can’t wait to try this out…I love how fast it comes together…sure will come in handy over the busy-ness of the holidays…Thanks again.
    love,
    cathy b. @ brightbakes

Amanda — December 6, 2010 @ 11:58 am

Oh my this looks amazing! I think I just found our family get together dessert! You rock!

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun — December 6, 2010 @ 12:00 pm

That drippy chocolate did me in. ;-)

Katrina — December 6, 2010 @ 12:03 pm

This cake looks heavenly!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — December 6, 2010 @ 12:14 pm

That, my friend, looks absolutely sinful.

Vanessa — December 6, 2010 @ 12:22 pm

That looks awesome. I love the chocolate and mint combo!!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — December 6, 2010 @ 12:30 pm

When you put it in the food processor, I wondered if it was based off a Nigella recipe. I love this cake and it’s simplicity! It looks delicious. Good luck at the dentist today!

• Jessica — December 6th, 2010 @ 2:15 pm

I love her recipes so much.

Wei-Wei — December 6, 2010 @ 12:49 pm

The colour of mint chocolate chips never ceases to amaze me.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — December 6, 2010 @ 12:50 pm

I’m not a huge chocolate and mint fan, but Ryan LOVES that combo– I should bookmark this for his next birthday.

• Jessica — December 6th, 2010 @ 2:15 pm

You should, you should!

Lauren at KeepItSweet — December 6, 2010 @ 1:03 pm

wow i’m drooling a little

Suzanne @ Window On The Prairie — December 6, 2010 @ 1:05 pm

You know if I keep looking at your site I’ll get cavities. Looks so yummy. Suzanne

• Jessica — December 6th, 2010 @ 2:15 pm

I wish my cavities came from just “looking.”

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — December 6, 2010 @ 1:24 pm

Oh mann. I love that it’s the holiday season so that I’ll soon have an excuse to make delicious things like this for my family…

• Jessica — December 6th, 2010 @ 2:14 pm

Soon? Start now!

Heather — December 6, 2010 @ 1:26 pm

ok seriously, i am drooling and i have to say (sorry!) i’m on Mr. How Sweet’s side on the chocolate-mint combo!

• Jessica — December 6th, 2010 @ 2:14 pm

I don’t even know you anymore.

Healthy Chocoholic — December 6, 2010 @ 1:26 pm

Deelish!!!!!! Where did you buy the peppermint extract???? I want to make homemade Thin Mints, but cannot find it anywhere! I also now want to make this.
    P.S. Your recipes are wonderful….and are fattening me up….I’ve gained like a pound a week….will have to go clothing shopping soon, but I couldn’t be happier about it!= =D

• Jessica — December 6th, 2010 @ 2:14 pm

Bought it at my local grocery store! Which is surprising because they rarely have anything.
      So glad you are liking the recipes!

Chrissy — December 6, 2010 @ 1:36 pm

I invented a mint chocolate chip cake and it was a hit with everyone who tasted it. It was really simple- just a dark chocolate cake, mint frosting, and coated with mini chocolate chips.

• Jessica — December 6th, 2010 @ 2:14 pm

That sounds incredible!

Krystina (Basil & Wine) — December 6, 2010 @ 1:43 pm

Those mint chips are so gloriously unnatural that I love them.

• Jessica — December 6th, 2010 @ 2:13 pm

I know. I love their beautiful artificial color so much.

allison @ thesundayflog — December 6, 2010 @ 1:46 pm

welp, now i know what i’m giving as christmas gifts! i picked up the CUTEST ceramic mini loaf pans and couldnt decide what to fill them with. now i do. any idea how many mini loafs i will get from 1 batch?

• Jessica — December 6th, 2010 @ 2:13 pm

I can’t say for sure, but I would think at least 4? It depends on the size, since there are many sizes of “mini” pans.

Liz @ Blog is the New Black — December 6, 2010 @ 1:48 pm

Ahhhhhhh, best idea EVER! Lloyd will go bananas if I make this.

Kylie @ A Hungry Spoon — December 6, 2010 @ 2:01 pm

Oh this looks so good! I love mint chocolate :) And I can related to your “I like to fatten people up” comment–my co-workers always say that’s what I’m out to do with all the treats I make!

• Jessica — December 6th, 2010 @ 2:13 pm

We are mean.

marla {family fresh cooking} — December 6, 2010 @ 2:05 pm

This mint cake looks awesome! Those green chips add great color for holiday backing :)

brandi — December 6, 2010 @ 2:16 pm

oh no.

I think I know what has to be done today.

–> off to see if I still have my mint chips.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — December 6, 2010 @ 2:29 pm

I love simple recipes, and this one sound amazing! I’m also on a massive chocolate mint kick right now. Maybe the dentist will mistake the smell of chocolate mint on your breath for toothpaste? ;)

Erica — December 6, 2010 @ 2:31 pm

Beautiful. I got Andes mint chips and made your double chocolate cookies yesterday with them. So good. Melt in your mouth good. Mint+chocolate…amazing together. I can only imagine them in cake form!

Jenna — December 6, 2010 @ 2:44 pm

Way to get me drooling all over my keyboard on a Monday morning! I’m in love with the green chips, adorable!

Karly — December 6, 2010 @ 2:52 pm

Oh my. My mint-loving daughter would go NUTS for this cake!

Nourhan @ Miss Anthropist's Kitchen — December 6, 2010 @ 2:56 pm

I love those recipes where you just mix everything all together and dump them in a bowl! And I adore anything chocolate-mint (or is it supposed to be “mint chocolate”?)
    I made some gorgeous chocolate mint brownies recently that have yet to be up on my blog. On top of the brownies is a green mint frosting that I covered with a chocolate glaze. It’s sooo deliciouss :)

• Jessica — December 6th, 2010 @ 6:37 pm

They sound divine.

Corey @ the runner's cookie — December 6, 2010 @ 3:01 pm

Hahah hey the cavities are totally worth that cake. Your milkshake made me crave mint + chocolate the other day so I bought andes mints and make peppermint chocolate cookies…soo good. I bet this cake is to die for!

• Jessica — December 6th, 2010 @ 6:37 pm

I haven’t had Andes forever. I need to get some!

Leah @ Why Deprive? — December 6, 2010 @ 3:14 pm

I love chocolate and mint together so much. This cake sounds awesome!

Alaina — December 6, 2010 @ 3:27 pm

I could definitely make it a normal occurance to have chocolate in the morning!

I love giving baked goods for gifts. I made my in-laws a batch of oatmeal cookies and put them in a cookie jar for christmas last year. And I made my friend a banana bread for his birthday. :-) Ah, the joy of giving.

• Jessica — December 6th, 2010 @ 6:36 pm

I love them too!

Camille — December 6, 2010 @ 3:32 pm

I love the green flecks! So pretty!

Alecia — December 6, 2010 @ 3:41 pm

Alrighty now, enough with the mint and chocolate combination. While I love the two flavors, together…not so much.

Can’t wait to see your next recipe!

A

Natalia - a side of simple — December 6, 2010 @ 3:43 pm

Thank you, Jessica. These will be reason # 54 why I just “need” new jeans for Christmas ;)

Jenn L @ Peas & Crayons — December 6, 2010 @ 3:47 pm

Yummm! Girl you’re making me crave sugar daily with all this awesomeness! Thank god I post about veggies or it’d be a cake fiesta all day every day… wait… that doesn’t sound too bad =)

xoXOxo

Jessie K — December 6, 2010 @ 4:12 pm

I can’t decide whether I should asking singing your praises or begging for mercy! I love, LOVE, lurrrrrrrrrrrrrrve chocolate and mint and together is even bettah! However! I need, NEED, neeeeeeeeeeed to go on a diet and recipes like this just kill whatever teeny tiny bit of willpower I have!

the blissful baker — December 6, 2010 @ 4:32 pm

mmm that looks positively divine!!

megan — December 6, 2010 @ 4:56 pm

Mmmmm, I might have to gift one of these! Looks terrific!

Kat — December 6, 2010 @ 5:13 pm

holy crap that looks good. and you’re right – super simple. nwo if only i could get my husband to clean the oven for me

• Jessica — December 6th, 2010 @ 6:36 pm

My husband does the dishes, but I don’t know if he could do the oven.

Steph@stephsbitebybite — December 6, 2010 @ 5:30 pm

Your goal to fatten people up is definitely working! I can feel the pounds coming on already :)

• Jessica — December 6th, 2010 @ 6:35 pm

Sorry… not.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — December 6, 2010 @ 6:48 pm

I’m all about mint right now and this looks like the perfect way to get my fix…

Cheryl — December 6, 2010 @ 7:01 pm

Amazing!! How do the two of you manage to eat any real food with all these amazing desserts!??

Mary @ Bites and Bliss — December 6, 2010 @ 7:10 pm

Ohhh my goodness. This looks amazing. Simply amazing.

Erin F — December 6, 2010 @ 7:16 pm

I aimlessly bought a bag of mixed dark chocolate and mint chips this weekend – now I think I know how I’ll be using them!

Anna — December 6, 2010 @ 8:04 pm

I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!
    I recently made the ‘better than crack brownies’ and you were right, they changed my life!:-)
    This looks delicious, do you think it would still work with say peanut butter chips? and maybe some kind of substitution for the mint extract?

• Jessica — December 6th, 2010 @ 8:26 pm

Definitely! Just leave out the mint extract. You could do a peanut butter/chocolate glaze too!

Miriam — December 6, 2010 @ 8:29 pm

Hope everything went well at the dentist, going there is the worst. Afterward you will definitely be deserving of serious chocolate. This cake looks perfect for that, but my love will not touch it with a ten foot pole either, and I’m unemployed so I have no easy place to bring leftovers to share. The sad conclusion is that I spend the day drooling over and dreaming about recipes on your amazing blog and others, then almost never bake anything. So I am living (eating) vicariously through you! Thanks!!

Pretty. Good. Food. — December 6, 2010 @ 8:30 pm

What a perfect combo! Looks delicious, I’m definitely getting hungry :)!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie — December 6, 2010 @ 8:35 pm

You should hire me for free to be your quality control manager….I’ll be there for every bit of chocolatey goodness!

Victoria (District Chocoholic) — December 6, 2010 @ 9:28 pm

I think this is the first food-processor cake I’ve seen. Love.

Megan (Braise The Roof) — December 6, 2010 @ 9:29 pm

Where did you find those mint chips? They look dangerous. Even the color of them makes me really happy.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Melt-In-Your-Mouth Mint Chocolate Cake. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: teeth bleaching tray: Platinum Dental Whitening System | teeth bleaching tray

3. Pingback: disaster « One Day at a Time

4. Pingback: Chocolate 4 U Blog

5. Pingback: Kitchen Fail « YoungHungryFoolish

6. Pingback: christmas sweet eats « One Day at a Time

7. Pingback: Latest Chocolate Auctions | Chocolate Recipes for You

8. Pingback: oh my pizza | What Kelly Said

9. Pingback: Salty Caramel Drenched Double Chocolate Loaf Cake | How Sweet It Is