Nostalgic Night.

I started this afternoon by watching The Family Stone, which gets me every single time. I am not one to get emotional at movies whatsoever, but this one makes me lose it. I even saw it in the theater way back when and wasn’t very moved. I think it has happened as I grow older and realize how amazing my family is. And I am so sad that I don’t have any grandma’s left to be with on Christmas.

Feeling like a tortured artist, I got to work on some therapy. And by “tortured” I mean hungry, and by “artist” I mean baker. There is no better therapy than cookies. And Barry Manilow Christmas music.

I still have a few items to cross off my holiday baking list, and tonight I went with those of the Mother Lovett variety.

I made her butterballs, pink and green thumbprints, and then ate made about 80 peanut butter blossoms.

While in the process of baking, all I could think of was “there is no way I am cooking dinner.” Mr. How Sweet must have been on the same page, because the minute he walked through the door he said we were going on a date. This never happens on school work nights! He threw out the options of The Capital Grille and Primanti’s, and I surprisingly chose the latter… because I didn’t want to get out of my sweats.

So we had a Pittsburgh-style date.

We split a pizza and I watched Mr. How Sweet take down an entire black angus sandwich.

How is it possible for one to eat this much? If you don’t know what I’m talking about when I say Primanti’s, you must read up on it.

Now we are watching MTV’s version of The Family Stone… 16 and Pregnant. What is this world coming to?

48 Responses to “Nostalgic Night.”

Healthy chocoholic — December 22, 2010 @ 2:23 am

Never seen that movie before…..
    Thos cookies look wonderful!!! And so cute!!!!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — December 22, 2010 @ 2:25 am

I am totally watching 16 and pregnant right now too.

Blog is the New Black — December 22, 2010 @ 2:25 am

Aw, look at you and all your cooking! Love it.

Amy @ Serve At Once — December 22, 2010 @ 2:26 am

I’m definitely gonna take up reading about Primanti’s. I mean, your delish dinner kinda speaks for itself!

And I know what you mean about sentimental movies. Sometimes I find myself tearing up–and I don’t even know why except for the fact that I’m completely hormonal.

BTW, your cookies are LEGIT.

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) — December 22, 2010 @ 2:27 am

“And I am so sad that I don’t have any grandma’s left to be with on Christmas.”–Ditto.

And Scott’s parents are dead. And his grandparents. And his brother. Not to be debbie downer but we have a really small family so this is a reminder to make memories every day :)

And oh, your baked goods. Epic. As always!!!

Sana — December 22, 2010 @ 2:27 am

What exactly do you do with all your leftovers? I am jealous of the lucky person that gets to eat them all!

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2010 @ 2:39 am

We in this case there really won’t be any cookie leftovers – we take cookie/dessert trays everywhere we go so they will be gone!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — December 22, 2010 @ 2:27 am

I adore the family stone…we own it and watch it several times a year!

Terry — December 22, 2010 @ 2:30 am

Ahhh, Primanti’s – one of the best things about life in Pittsburgh!

Marg — December 22, 2010 @ 2:33 am

My boyfriend loves that place, it was a must the first time I went to Pittsburgh.

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — December 22, 2010 @ 2:38 am

aw Jess I know how you feel. Part of me feels like my grandma has been gone forever, but the other part can’t believe she won’t be here this Christmas. It’s so sad, but I am grateful for all of the happy memories of Christmas I have with her and I know you are too.

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2010 @ 2:40 am

Isn’t it weird?! Some days I can’t believe my grandma was actually here for Christmas last year, and other days I feel like I just saw her yesterday. So weird.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — December 22, 2010 @ 2:38 am

I love that movie! Gets me everytime! Sorry you are missing your grandmothers. Baking is a great way to remember them!

Jess — December 22, 2010 @ 2:54 am

Ahhh, 16 and pregnant. One of my favorites–except all the guys on that show are IDIOTS. Stupid, teenage guys who do not respect their women.
    Well, I’ve seen a couple episodes, and that’s how it is so far. ;)
    Delicious looking baking!

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun — December 22, 2010 @ 2:59 am

Ohmygosh. I have heard amazing things about Primanti Bros! I wanna go there! :-P

Mama Pea — December 22, 2010 @ 3:00 am

I feel you.

I burst into tears in the Costco parking lot today thinking about my grandma.

I came home and made four dozen cookies.

Who needs therapy?

Lisa @ Dishes of Mrs. Fish — December 22, 2010 @ 3:15 am

Grandma’s are the best. My grandma makes those butterballs too.

I love my grandma especially when she wears her sweatshirt that says:

“There’s another name for Santa: Grandma” that she wears every Christmas day.

Hugs to you!

Natalia - a side of simple — December 22, 2010 @ 3:22 am

I love The Family Stone! Such a great holiday movie :) Mother Lovett is a baking goddess. I’m convinced she reached for the butter, not milk, when she came from the womb. I hope you don’t consider that blasphemy.

Amber — December 22, 2010 @ 3:31 am

The cookies look DELISH! I made the cake mix chocolate bark…AMAZING!! I also made peppermint bark, oreo balls & white chocolate dipped pretzel rods!

I lost my only grandparent when I was 12…feel fortunate that you have so many years of memories with her!! :) I am facing the first Christmas without my Daddy….he’s been gone 10 mths & it seems like yesterday! That might be one of the reasons I’ve been going absolutely crazy in the kitchen…busy work!

I’m ready for the savory recipes you speak of….my sweet tooth needs a break from all the “taste testing”!!! lol

Ashley — December 22, 2010 @ 4:06 am

I’m a western PA native … you are making me drooool!

Alaina — December 22, 2010 @ 5:27 am

I remember watching a show on the Travel Channel about the best places to pig out and Primanti Bros was on it. Looks delish! And definitely something my husband would love to have.

Those thumbprints look good. Is that coconut?? Pretty much anything with coconut is the best. :-)

Jenn L @ Peas & Crayons — December 22, 2010 @ 5:41 am

The pizza is seriously making me want to wake up the hubs to ask for a pizza run… at midnight… wow. hungrryyyyy

Wei-Wei — December 22, 2010 @ 8:40 am

Butterballsssssssssssss. And I love it when married couples take each other out on dates. It’s really cute ;)

the blissful baker — December 22, 2010 @ 9:08 am

mm i love primanti bros! but i love cookies more!

Lauren at KeepItSweet — December 22, 2010 @ 11:13 am

i hated the Family Stone the first time i saw it, but find it very rewatchable, weird

Kristi@eatdrinkloveandexercise — December 22, 2010 @ 12:21 pm

Your house is probably filled with so many goodies…. Can I move in? :)
    I can’t help but to watch 16 and pregnant and feel so sorry for those girls who have no idea what they just did to their lives!

Chrissy — December 22, 2010 @ 12:28 pm

Awwww, Primanti’s… I miss Pittsburgh! I started my baking early today! I am making doggie treats (which don’t do much for you and me, but dogs LOVE them!!!), mint brownies, pumpkin cheesecake, and sweet ‘n salty Toll House cookies. Wanna come over and hang out?

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2010 @ 12:43 pm

Would love to!

Kat — December 22, 2010 @ 1:15 pm

That movie is great! I love the family dynamic

diane — December 22, 2010 @ 1:51 pm

I am sooooo jealous!!!! I love, love, love Primanti’s. Used to live near Pittsburgh and miss their food! I try to recreate the sandwiches and have come very close but….. I enjoy your site, the part of your life you share with us and your wonderful recipes!

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2010 @ 10:19 pm

Maybe I’ll try to recreate one…

Lynda@meandmypinkmixer — December 22, 2010 @ 2:38 pm

I have never seen that movie ~ I’ll have to check it out soon. My Grandma used to make a delicious Banana cake for Christmas Eve every year – I’m going to try to make it this year and surprise my Dad – hope it turns out! Your thumbprint cookies look so pretty ~ love the colors! We went to Primanti’s in the Strip District when we were in Pittsburgh last month – gotta love french fries on a sandwich!!

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2010 @ 10:18 pm

A banana cake sound divine! Do you have a recipe?

Kacy — December 22, 2010 @ 3:00 pm

That movie gets me too. I totally know what you mean.

I can’t believe I forgot about 16 and Pregnant last night…

Megan H — December 22, 2010 @ 3:07 pm

That movie gets me every time….I’m such a sap that I sometimes refuse to watch the sad parts….I leave the room, especially if I’m watching with my husband because he makes fun of me when I cry at movies! I feel your pain.

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels — December 22, 2010 @ 5:46 pm

Oh my word, I seriously want to eat all of your cookies. They look sooo good. I wish I lived next door to you! :)

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2010 @ 10:10 pm

I wish you did too!

Lauren — December 22, 2010 @ 6:23 pm

My brother went to Pitt and spent many a nights at Primanti bros! I suppose you could say it’s the stuff dreams are made of. Well, that and cookie dough dip!

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2010 @ 10:10 pm

Combine those two… pure heaven.

Rebecca Meier — December 22, 2010 @ 8:42 pm

Primantis!!!! My husband & I discovered Primantis when we moved to Fort Lauderdale, FL. We go AT LEAST twice a month. I LOVEEEEEE their pizza!!!! IMO, it’s some of the best I’ve ever had. I’ve yet to eat one of their infamous sandwiches, but those I know that have said they’re delish :)

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2010 @ 10:05 pm

Mr. How Sweet is OBSESSED with their pizza!

Melissa @ Delectable Living — December 23, 2010 @ 6:55 am

If you’re ever in DC you have to go to Taylor’s–http://www.taylorgourmet.com/. You and your husband would pass out from their amazing sandwiches and risotto balls.

Di — December 24, 2010 @ 3:21 pm

Those cookies all look so amazing!

The Family Stone gets me every time, too. Like you said, I don’t usually cry at movies, but I sob when I watch that one!

• Jessica — December 27th, 2010 @ 12:45 pm

Tell me about it. Something about that movie…

Torrie @ a place to share... — January 6, 2011 @ 9:50 pm

I had a similar experience with this movie. When I originally watched it, I wasn’t extremely moved. Now, it is one of my absolute favorites- and I LOVE Craig T. Nelson & Diane Keaton!

Lauren — February 7, 2011 @ 3:09 pm

Jessica,
    I have so enjoyed reading through your archives of HowSweetEats, and the more I go through this, the more I’m convinced that we may be twins separated at birth! So glad to know you’re out there.
    -Lauren

• Jessica — February 7th, 2011 @ 3:11 pm

Thanks Lauren!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Nostalgic Night. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com