I made a big batch of chunky chili!

Not to eat for dinner. But to eat over the next few days and to freeze. Chili is so much better after it sits. Tonight, we are having beef tenderloin with apricot. But I’m not telling Mr. How Sweet what’s in it until after he’s done eating.

And as usual, I’m out of cumin for the chili. But if I went to the store to get some, it would be my 7th trip there since Sunday. I feel so dirty. And poor.

Want a sneak peek into my Christmas playlist? I know you do. How could you not when I jam out to such hip music?

There is also some N*SYNC and Jessica Simpson in there to quench my inner 16-year old. And if you haven’t been listening to Kristen Chenoweth, you need to start… pronto. It has been my (and Mr. How Sweet’s!) favorite Christmas album for 2 years now.

In case you haven’t heard, we also have bingo on Wednesdays at 2 here in the How Sweet Retirement Home. Be there or be square!

51 Responses to “On A Cold Snowy Day.”

Jennifer — December 8, 2010 @ 9:41 pm

I love Kristin Chenoweth! She is so amazing!! Along with Josh Groban’s Christmas album. One of my husband and I’s favorite Christmas album. Plus, the few Christmas songs Michael Buble has done.

Maggie Cubbler — December 8, 2010 @ 9:45 pm

Funny you mention bingo–a new bingo hall opened up right down the road from our house and I keep begging my husband to take me. And it’s not because they have a huge inflatable dragon on the roof.

You jam to N’Sync, I kick it at bingo! LOL :D

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — December 8, 2010 @ 9:46 pm

Chili is definitely best when it sits for a while!

Bethany @ More Fruit Please — December 8, 2010 @ 9:46 pm

I love Kristin Chenoweth’s Christmas album! I’ve also been rocking out to the Glee Christmas album and Straight No Chaser one. I’ve had them playing nonstop for the past week and half and it’s been heaven!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — December 8, 2010 @ 9:46 pm

sign me up for bingo! but only if we can eat dinner at 3:30…

• Jessica — December 8th, 2010 @ 9:49 pm

3:30 it is! Who doesn’t love a good early bird special?

maggie — December 8, 2010 @ 9:59 pm

Ohhh no! Cumin is my favorite spice – it’s worth the trip! This chili looks yummy – I hope you post the recipe!

Liz @ Blog is the New Black — December 8, 2010 @ 10:04 pm

I’m coming to bingo just to hear you sing!

Cathy B. @ Bright Bakes — December 8, 2010 @ 10:11 pm

you’re a girl after my own heart with all this soup goin’ on! :)
    love,
    cathy b. @ brightbakes

Sarah — December 8, 2010 @ 10:12 pm

We have very similar taste in Christmas music ;) I haven’t heard Kristin Chenoweth’s album yet though. I guess I should check it out!

EatLiveRun — December 8, 2010 @ 10:12 pm

yay for beef!! Let me know what you think!

Natalia - a side of simple — December 8, 2010 @ 10:13 pm

Party bus day trip to your retirement home!!

Amanda — December 8, 2010 @ 10:22 pm

I love Kristen Chenoweth! I didn’t even know she had a Christmas album. I’ll have to check it out.

Chrissy — December 8, 2010 @ 10:25 pm

Have you ever put chipotle peppers in the chili? It makes it so spicy and smoky and wonderful.

I was rocking out to Neil Diamond’s Christmas album today. He’s my absolute favorite. Can I join your Old Soul club?

• Jessica — December 8th, 2010 @ 10:38 pm

Nope! And that sounds delish. I often add smoked paprika but I need to get some chipotles!

And of course you can – you’re in!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — December 8, 2010 @ 10:30 pm

I LOVE chili on a cold day :)

Sana — December 8, 2010 @ 10:33 pm

Will you be providing the dessert for these bingo events?

• Jessica — December 8th, 2010 @ 10:37 pm

Of course!

Krystina (Basil & Wine) — December 8, 2010 @ 10:51 pm

This is the first day since Sunday that I haven’t been to the grocery store. Being that I’m currently on a baking mission, I’ll be visiting the store tomorrow. And for many days to come.

I pulled out a frozen tub of chili that had been there since October and ate it for lunch the other day. I’ll be damned if it wasn’t BETTER than when I made it two months ago.

• Jessica — December 8th, 2010 @ 11:20 pm

It always is!

Kristina @ spabettie — December 8, 2010 @ 11:04 pm

I will arrive in time for bingo and early dinner ;)

um… (I feel like I may have told you this before…) we actually go play bingo every now and then. now that Oregon has a no smoking anywhere rule, it’s actually not bad… before, there was a big glass partition between the non smoking + smoking rooms. it was like a CLOUD over there.

but last time we went?? I drank 3 cups of bad coffee and won $100! :D

• Jessica — December 8th, 2010 @ 11:20 pm

I think you’re my soul mate.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — December 8, 2010 @ 11:12 pm

Ohhh I loooove Kristen Chenoweth but didn’t even know she had a Christmas album! Checking it out asap.

jessicaisbaking — December 9, 2010 @ 12:22 am

just downloaded Kristen Chenoweth’s xmas album – excellent recommendation!! She is fabulous. So is your blog!!

• Jessica — December 9th, 2010 @ 1:01 am

Isn’t it awesome!? I sing into my wooden spoon every day.

Leah @ Why Deprive? — December 9, 2010 @ 12:22 am

I LOVE your playlists. They always seem so similar to mine. Im such a nerd, even my running playlists make people laugh. Last time I made one, I was so proud of it so I wanted my boyfriend to listen to it. He said “I want no part of this” and left the room. :(

• Jessica — December 9th, 2010 @ 12:59 am

Don’t worry… my husband does the same.

Jennifer — December 9, 2010 @ 12:40 am

I love to know I’m not the only one with Nsync and Jessica Simpson on their Christmas playlist (I even have 98*!).

• Jessica — December 9th, 2010 @ 12:59 am

I still have a huge crush on Nick Lachey.

Low — December 9, 2010 @ 1:32 am

I don’t think I’ve ever run out of a spice. Meaning, all of my spices are probably about 5 years old except for the new ones I buy because a recipe calls for one I’ve never heard or can’t find… Scary.

Lisa @ Dishes of Mrs. Fish — December 9, 2010 @ 1:46 am

I accidentally bought a metric ton of Cumin at Sam’s. I thought I was getting the metric ton of cinnamon, but after an exhausting day of teaching, apparently, I forgot how to read. :)

• Jessica — December 9th, 2010 @ 1:48 am

Oh my gosh… lol. I once put cumin in a baked good instead of cinnamon… blah! Easily mistaken.

Jenn L @ Peas & Crayons — December 9, 2010 @ 2:01 am

aww fun playlist! I need to make some chili – you have me craving it hardcore now! <3

Anna — December 9, 2010 @ 2:12 am

I just got the Glee Christmas album and it is amazing! I made the best mix of NSync, Mariah Carey and Glee Christmas. What makes it even better is I teach 3rd grade and my students love singing along.

Cheryl — December 9, 2010 @ 2:20 am

I’ll have to take a listen! I made/froze turkey chili recently to have after the baby is born – I can’t wait for it!!

Jess@atasteofconfidence — December 9, 2010 @ 2:50 am

I love the NSYNC christmas music!

Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life — December 9, 2010 @ 3:09 am

I love Kristen Chenoweth! I have to listen to her at work though because they husband isn’t the biggest fan of her Christmas music! I love how upbeat her Christmas album is and think her voice is heavenly!

Healthy Chocoholic — December 9, 2010 @ 3:50 am

I looooooove me some chili!!! It is better after a day or more, though! =D I hava a friend who makes it the night before, and eats it for breakfast! =D

Alaina — December 9, 2010 @ 5:16 am

Hmm, chili. :-) My mom makes the best hoosier chili.

I love Christmas songs sung by Josh Groban. And I definitely have the *N Sync CD too. Brings me back to HS.

Ashley — December 9, 2010 @ 5:45 am

Such an old fart you are!! ;) I made a super delicious + successful chili cumin free! It was Ashley [neverhome] pumpkin chili recipe. SO good. Sometimes I get sick of cumin in chili. :)

Rachel — December 9, 2010 @ 12:48 pm

Hahaha, I LOVE ‘NSync Christmas music, and I’m not even embarrassed!!! Okay… maybe just a teeny bit. Love your other choices too, and I didn’t even know Kristin Chenoweth had a Christmas album, but now I’ll have to check it out, I love her voice!

Paul jennette — December 9, 2010 @ 12:50 pm

I hate it when I’m missing one key ingredient… but it seems to happen almost every time I’m trying something new, I’m always like oh yeah I have cumin at home. Only to realize I don’t. Love your Xmas music!!!
    P.S. I holding a Holiday GIVEAWAY in my neighborhood!!

Kat — December 9, 2010 @ 1:53 pm

I’m planning on making chili too! Something about the cold, the snow, and a bowl full on Chili by the fire.

Alison — December 9, 2010 @ 2:25 pm

I love everything Kristin Chenoweth touches! Did you ever watch Pushing Daisies? Short-lived but awesome show. Last night we watched her in 12 Men of Christmas on Lifetime movie channel… not quite as awesome but she’s still so cute! :)

• Jessica — December 9th, 2010 @ 2:42 pm

I think I only watch it once or twice, but I love everything she does too!

Jihane (Sinful Sundays) — December 9, 2010 @ 3:17 pm

Just curious–what did you use instead of cumin in the chili?

• Jessica — December 9th, 2010 @ 10:31 pm

I actually didn’t use anything else… I had maybe 1/2 a teaspoon (which was nothing since I made a huge pot). I just added a ton of extra chili powder and a cocoa chili blend I have. Oh, and extra smoked paprika!

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen — December 9, 2010 @ 7:11 pm

Your chili looks delicious – and I agree it is so much better the day after, or een another day after that!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention On A Cold Snowy Day. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com