I think I have the 56th recipe you must add to your New Year’s Even menu.

Why do we get so intimidated by risotto?

There really is no need. I promise. It is simple. And this dish can be made in 30 minutes! Even Mr. How Sweet classifies this as a full meal since it has two types of meat.
But I wouldn’t be surprised if he added a steak on the side.

A few weeks ago, Victoria mentioned in the comments about making risotto with bacon drippings. It has been on my mind ever since.

I love bringing out the Mother Lovett in me. Bacon grease makes it better.

As crazy as it may sound, I think risotto is nearly foolproof. I simply add a little bit of liquid to cover the rice, let it simmer until the rice absorbs it, then add a little more liquid. I don’t even add hot liquid. I don’t even measure my liquid. I’m probably not doing it right. But it’s delicious. And easy.
You must try it!

And the dish really does have it all.

Bacon.

Wine.

Seafood.
What else do you need? Cheese?

Now you’re just getting greedy.

Shrimp and Bacon Risotto

serves 3-4

1 cup arborio rice

4 slices bacon, chopped

1 cup dry white wine

2 cups chicken stock + more if needed

1 clove garlic, minced

6 ounces cooked shrimp

2 tablespoons chopped parsley

Heat a saucepan on medium heat. Chop bacon slices and add to pan, frying until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel, leaving bacon drippings in pan. Measure one cup of rice and add to pan, along with minced garlic. Stir to toast rice, about 2-3 minutes.

Pour in one cup of white wine and turn heat down to a simmer, and allow rice to soak it up. Add chicken stock one cup at a time, allowing rice to absorb it. The easy way for me to do risotto is to pour enough liquid in so it is about 1/4 inch above the rice, let it absorb, then taste it for doneness. If it is not soft, add another 1/2-1 cup.

Stir in shrimp (I used pre-cooked shrimp since I was pressed for time – using raw shrimp and sauteing it in a bit of olive oil, wine and garlic before adding it to the risotto would deepen the flavor even more!) and fold in bacon, reserving a few pieces for garnish. Stir in parsley. Serve immediately.

I’m really not sure how I could ever make risotto without bacon now.

74 Responses to “Shrimp and Bacon Risotto.”

Estela @ Weekly Bite — December 29, 2010 @ 11:44 am

I need this dish in my life!!! Looks incredible :)

Blog is the New Black — December 29, 2010 @ 11:56 am

Ok, I don’t do seafood, but my bf does… so this looks like a great dish to try to make for him since I don’t even know how to cook seafood!

• Jessica — December 29th, 2010 @ 1:34 pm

Well, you still must try it with the bacon! Leave out the shrimp. :)

• Kim in MD — December 29th, 2010 @ 3:23 pm

I have life threatening shellfish allergies that I developed very suddenly (and sadly) several years ago. When I make a dish that uses shellfish, I substitute the shrimp, crab or lobster for either chicken or white fish (usually tilapia or monkfish). For this risotto, I would use small pieces of chicken…I think it would be amazing!

Thanks for sharing, Jessica! :-)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — December 29, 2010 @ 12:40 pm

I love that you made this the traditional way. Cheesy risotto is good, but the original is AWESOME and it’s so underrated!!

Katrina — December 29, 2010 @ 12:41 pm

Very cool. I love how easy this is!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen — December 29, 2010 @ 12:44 pm

This looks so good!!

Erica — December 29, 2010 @ 1:03 pm

I was just talking to my Dad about how delicious risotto was and how easy it is to make. He agreed….and then I found out he uses a boxed mix! Hahah- dad’s are funny :) This looks perfect. Especially with all that shrimpy goodness.

• Jessica — December 29th, 2010 @ 1:33 pm

LOL! My husband likes it from a boxed mix too.

Cara Craves... — December 29, 2010 @ 1:26 pm

Shrimp and bacon: Yes please!
    My husband would adore this…mostly for the bacon.

Pixie — December 29, 2010 @ 1:46 pm

Wonderful and I love it on the new plates!

Krystina (Basil & Wine) — December 29, 2010 @ 1:54 pm

Not gonna lie, I would add a nice hefty 1/2 cup of grated romano to this dish.

Biz — December 29, 2010 @ 1:56 pm

I love how you try to sneak bacon into every dish Jessica! :D My MIL taught me how to make risotto – and since I don’t like onions she diced up granny smith apple and it makes for a great sweet/savory combo – I add apples every time I make one.

Here is my recipe (and also happen to have a recipe for falafel on the same post!)

Have a great day!

• Jessica — December 29th, 2010 @ 1:57 pm

Apples sound so delicious in there! And oh man… I’ve been wanting to make falafels forever! Thank you. :)

Elizabeth — December 29, 2010 @ 2:26 pm

I love making risotto… it is perfect comfort food. I do have to admit that I almost always add cheese. I just can’t stop myself!

Victoria (District Chocoholic) — December 29, 2010 @ 2:32 pm

Oh swoon. Bacon grease risotto immortalized on your blog. My life is complete.

Though it would be better if I had some bacon/corn/swiss risotto in front of me instead of this pear.

No offense, pear.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — December 29, 2010 @ 2:33 pm

I don’t measure my risotto liquid either…I just keep adding until it’s right! I agree– people get so intimidated by risotto, and it’s really not very hard at all!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — December 29, 2010 @ 2:36 pm

Yummmm! I have eaten my bodyweight (well, close) in shrimp this month and I am still not sick of them! Sounds like a great recipe. :)

megan @ whatmegansmaking — December 29, 2010 @ 2:38 pm

I’ve been thinking about making risotto. Just found a recipe in cook’s illustrated for quicker, easier risotto – although it seems like you’ve already got that down! I must say, I don’t cook much bacon, but coming here everyday has me craving it!

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun — December 29, 2010 @ 2:52 pm

Mmmm. That sounds (and looks) delicious! Thanks for the reassurance – I was always to afraid to make risotto. :-P

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — December 29, 2010 @ 2:56 pm

My boys would all like to know if they can come and live at your house? This is beautiful!

Healthy chocoholic — December 29, 2010 @ 3:01 pm

That looks incredible!!!!!!! seafood + bacon? Delish!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — December 29, 2010 @ 3:13 pm

risotto is one of my all-time favorite recipes to make for parties…even though i sit in the kitchen stirring, others can join me and a glass of wine always makes it better ;)

EatLiveRun — December 29, 2010 @ 3:28 pm

yum!! Risotto is by far, one of my favorite things on earth. I’ve never made it with bacon and shrimp though!!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — December 29, 2010 @ 3:32 pm

Oh wow Jessica you make the best dishes ever! I just had breakfast but I’m already getting hungry just looking at these pictures!!

Amy — December 29, 2010 @ 3:37 pm

Speaking of bacon…they just showed Bacon flavored Jones Soda pop on the Regis and Kelly show today! Wondered if you have tried it? :)

• Jessica — December 29th, 2010 @ 3:45 pm

Hahahah I saw that!! Nope, not tried it…yet.

Edward - If You Can Read, You Can Cook — December 29, 2010 @ 3:37 pm

I had never even heard of risotto until I started watching Hell’s Kitchen. Then I was terrified of it. On the show, EVERYONE messes up the risotto.

Then I tried making it myself. On my first attempt, the rice was a little underdone, but otherwise it was great.

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather — December 29, 2010 @ 3:38 pm

You totally went there! Mmmmm yum!

I accidentally made risotto when using my pressure cooker for the first time with wild rice. A bit too much liqud made it perfectly creamy and delicious!

• Jessica — December 29th, 2010 @ 3:46 pm

Hehe oops! Good thing it was still delicious!

Steph@stephsbitebybite — December 29, 2010 @ 3:58 pm

I was watching 30 Minute Meals the other day and Rachel was making risotto and she said “People, it’s just rice!”

I love all the flavors you have going on! I made risotto a long, LONG time ago, and was just reminded that I need to revist it. And maybe add some bacon :)

marla {family fresh cooking} — December 29, 2010 @ 4:03 pm

Bacon, wine, seafood & carbs – you have it all covered in this fabulous risotto! xo

Moni'sMeals — December 29, 2010 @ 4:12 pm

looks great!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — December 29, 2010 @ 4:19 pm

We must be on the same wavelength because I had planned to make risotto last night, but realized I didn’t have any white wine. The snow decided I should stay in and find something else to make :)

Tracy — December 29, 2010 @ 4:28 pm

I love the idea of cooking risotto with bacon grease! I’m definitely going to have to try it!

Sarah @ Long Legs Healthy Life — December 29, 2010 @ 6:01 pm

I love all your recipes!! I’ve only been reading for about a month, but I want to make every recipe you post! First shrimp scampi, and now shrimp risotto? Awesome.

• Jessica — December 30th, 2010 @ 2:20 am

Thanks so much Sarah!

Megan (Braise The Roof) — December 29, 2010 @ 8:35 pm

I made risotto on Christmas Eve! I do every year- I make red risotto and green garlic bread (yes, it’s cheesy, I’m aware) and it really is easy to make. It doesn’t even really take that long! I haven’t thought off adding bacon, though- I’ll have to try that out.

• Jessica — December 30th, 2010 @ 2:19 am

That sounds awesome!

Ashlee — December 29, 2010 @ 8:41 pm

OH my husband would love this! He loves shrimp (I do not), so I try to make him something with shrimp every so often…maybe I will be making this for him!

Michelle @ Find Your Balance — December 29, 2010 @ 8:52 pm

Jamie Oliver has a recipe for risotto that made me a believer! He roasts a head of garlic until the cloves are soft, then mixes them straight into the rice. The whole head of garlic. It’s amazing.

• Jessica — December 30th, 2010 @ 2:17 am

I LOVE roasted garlic!!

carlee — December 29, 2010 @ 9:10 pm

Anything with bacon = yes!!
    That looks fabulous, but then again shrimp is to me as vegetables are to you! :/

• Jessica — December 30th, 2010 @ 2:17 am

Throw in something else! :)

Rach — December 29, 2010 @ 10:11 pm

I have to admit, I’ve always been intimidated by risotto because I used to watch one of Gordon Ramsey’s tv shows and he would always tell people that they had made the risotto all wrong! This recipe looks delightful, though, so I think I need to face my fears and just go for it! :)

• Jessica — December 30th, 2010 @ 2:17 am

I think you do too!

• Rach — December 30th, 2010 @ 2:19 am

My husband’s been telling me for ages that we need to try it. Maybe it will be a family cooking night sometime next week! Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — December 29, 2010 @ 10:35 pm

Risotto is one of the greatest foods in the world!

Ellen@FirednFabulous — December 29, 2010 @ 11:02 pm

Ohh this looks delish! I love risotto, but rarely ever eat….I’m too scared to attempt making it myself!

• Jessica — December 30th, 2010 @ 2:16 am

It’s not hard – you gotta try it!

Melissa — December 29, 2010 @ 11:50 pm

If — I mean WHEN — I make this, I’ll prob sprinkle grated parm on top. Mmmmm :)

• Jessica — December 30th, 2010 @ 2:15 am

Delish!

Travel Food Phil — December 30, 2010 @ 2:10 am

Love the recipe, I don’t cook with risotto very often and this is a great guide for someone like myself.

nico — December 30, 2010 @ 5:53 am

I love how bacon grease really does make everything better! I was cooking bacon wrapped dates with crostini for a customer today, and the customer left before I served him … so I decided to further “toast” his crostini in the bacon grease and … ate it. It was so good.

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — December 30, 2010 @ 6:55 am

this risotto looks yummy! i am actually not a huge bacon fan, but i do admit that it does add amazing flavor to so many dishes! although i wouldn’t choose to eat bacon strips for breakfast, i’d definitely add it to salads, soup, risotto, pasta, etc. :)

Caitlin — December 30, 2010 @ 1:56 pm

The photo of the wine pouring is so gorgeous! I am loving these super clean shots.

And I hate wine, so that’s saying something!!

Summer — December 30, 2010 @ 2:22 pm

i’m a self-proclaimed risotto master. and adding the delicious creamy pasta with bacon? and SCRIMPS? i must fix this and eat it all before anyone gets home.

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — December 30, 2010 @ 3:01 pm

Yummy! My husband would think he’d died and gone to heaven if I made him this meal, ha!

kate — December 30, 2010 @ 4:16 pm

Risotto used to frighten me, but now its one of my favorite things to make!

Allison L — January 18, 2011 @ 11:17 pm

So I made this tonight for the weekly potluck and it was gone inside 15 minutes i’ve been instructed to always make it.

• Jessica — January 19th, 2011 @ 4:02 am

Awesome!

Jill D — August 24, 2011 @ 9:21 pm

I’ve been saving this recipe in my inbox for some time and I finally decided to try it out! DELICIOUS and my husband loved it. Love your blog- thanks for all the great ideas!

Tandi — December 28, 2011 @ 11:47 pm

Ok, I know you posted this a long time ago, but I am new here and just discovering all of the wonderfullness that is How Sweet It Is…I can’t even sleep I am so excited to make this and your red velvet brownies for my girlfriends tomorrow! But more importantly…what would you drink with it besides white wine? something light but fun…got any ideas?

Meghan — July 9, 2012 @ 4:35 pm

This was my first attempt at risotto and not only does it ROCK, I didn’t ruin it!! Now can you stop making all these recipes I want to try? I haven’t touched my cookbooks in months because of you… ;)

anne — April 30, 2013 @ 9:01 am

This was delicious! I had to add chicken broth 4 or 5 times which took about 25 minutes, but that’s pretty standard for a risotto. I also added hot red pepper flakes to give it a little kick, and some parmesean (sorry, I caved). it made a perfect meal, and leftovers for the next day :)

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Shrimp and Bacon Risotto: -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Serious Deliciousness! « This Italian Family

3. Pingback: Shrimp, Shrimp, & Cake! But not all together | looptoloop

4. Pingback: Shrimp and Bacon Risotto

5. Pingback: Bacon Shrimp Risotto

6. Pingback: Back to the Kitchen – Shrimp and Bacon Risotto « Time for Renewal

7. Pingback: Back to the Kitchen - Shrimp and Bacon Risotto | Cake 'n' KnifeCake 'n' Knife

8. Pingback: Shrimp and Bacon Risotto Review | Food & Products Sans-gluten