Sunday morning, I woke up with an unreasonable craving for granola bars. It probably had a bit to do with the statement Mr. How Sweet made on New Year’s Day… something along the lines of wanting to buy Fiber One bars in bulk? I raised an eyebrow.
He does not need any more fiber. Trust me.

Why won’t he eat my own granola bars?

I’m sure if I could create a granola bar out of chicken and steak, he’d go to town on that.
But now that I’ve left you with that digusting image in your head , let me tell you about the deliciousness that is these peanut butter granola bars.

They may just be the simplest bars you’ll ever make!

You only need five ingredients to begin. They will create a simple, perfect peanut butter granola bar, but I also like to think of it as a base for a packed peanut butter granola bar.
Since I’ve made six batches of these bars since Sunday, I can tell you what works: chocolate chips, dried cherries, almonds, wheat germ, dried figs, and dried banana.

Yes, dried banana. A peanut butter, honey and banana granola bar! Mmmmm. I think I’m in heaven.

Into this particular batch went a boatload of chocolate chips, because well… we all know nothing is better than chocolate and peanut butter.

I know I don’t need to explain myself to you guys. You know me.

And since you know me, many of you are probably wondering when I’ll cave and add bacon. Honestly, I just thought about it for the first time as I was writing this post. Perhaps I need to make an Elvis granola bar? I am giddy at the thought.

I might need to be committed after that one.

The best part? You don’t even have to bake these bad boys. I baked 3 batches and left 3 other batches as no-bakes. I can’t decide which I like better, but I do love that the chocolate gets a bit melty in the oven.
Have you ever bit into a warm granola bar? You need to experience this.

The funniest part of these granola bars is that before I perfected this easy concoction on Sunday afternoon, I had 3 failed attempts – all more complicated and full of fluff. Sometimes simple is better, no?
At least I’m off to a good start with 2011 recipe disasters. Nothing like getting ahead.

5 Ingredient Peanut Butter Granola Bars

makes 12-16 granola squares

4 cups rolled oats

2 tablespoons chia seeds (these are optional, I just love the texture they give)

1/2 cup unsalted peanuts, chopped

3/4 cup natural peanut butter, melted

1/2 cup brown rice syrup (honey works too!)
add ins:

chocolate chips

wheat germ

flaxseed

dried fruit (I made some with cherries!)

other nuts

seeds
coconut
Preheat over to 350.

In a large bowl, combine oats, chia seeds and peanuts. Add brown rice syrup (or honey) and mix to combine. Add melted peanut butter and mix until moistened. This works as a perfect, simple granola bar, but you can also throw in any add-ins at this time. Fold them into the dough. You may need to get in there with your hands and work the granola dough! If dough is still too dry (this can depend on your ingredients) add more peanut butter or syrup (or honey) 1 tablespoon at a time until moistened.

Press dough in a greased (non-stick spray) 9 x 13 baking dish. Bake for 25 minutes.

These would also work as a great no-bake granola bar, but I liked how they came together and the chocolate chips melted as they got warm. If you want to make no-bakes, simply press the dough into the pan and refrigerate for 60 minutes.

Off to dream of bacon granola bars. Don’t hate.

274 Responses to “5 Ingredient Peanut Butter Granola Bars.”

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun — January 5, 2011 @ 11:54 am

Whoa – bacon granola bars would be amazing! Bacon and cheddar cheese bars would be the BOMB! :-)

Erica — January 5, 2011 @ 12:00 pm

They look fabulous! I make granola bars pretty much ever week and am always looking for a new recipe! We used to be big fans of the fiber one bars until I realized they’re laced with HFCS. Now some things are worth HFCS (like sweet baby rays bbq sauce), but not granola bars!

• Jessica — January 5th, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

We love Sweet Baby Rays!

• Brandy — January 6th, 2011 @ 4:03 am

I 2nd the sweet baby rays. I have about 6 bottles in the pantry. Gotta love the bogo deals. Gonna make these granola bars tomorrow…

Anon — January 5, 2011 @ 12:03 pm

Jessica, I LOVE YOU! I was searching for granola bar recipes last night and the recipes I found called for ingredients i didnt have on hand.

Just 1 question – are they chewy or crunchy? :)

• Jessica — January 5th, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

Very chewy! :)

• Anon — January 5th, 2011 @ 12:28 pm

Exactly what I wanted, thank you! :)

Ami @ beyondpeasandcarrots — January 5, 2011 @ 12:03 pm

Yum! So excited to try these!!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — January 5, 2011 @ 12:04 pm

I love how simple these are. I’m all for simple food tasting great! I’m a fan!

Kristina @ Life as Kristina — January 5, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

WOW! How quick and easy?! Those pictures are amazing-I just want to swoop my finger through the peanut butter and give it a taste! I too wondered if they are chewy or crunchy?

• Jessica — January 5th, 2011 @ 12:07 pm

They are chewy!

Blog is the New Black — January 5, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

Looks AWESOME! And I love that these only have 5 ingredients.

• Jessica — January 5th, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

Thanks for your post on Facebook! :)

VeggieGirl — January 5, 2011 @ 12:06 pm

Make bacon ones too! :D

Liz @ LBBakes — January 5, 2011 @ 12:07 pm

Oh, I’m going to dig out my candy stash and make candy granola bars. :)

• Jessica — January 5th, 2011 @ 12:10 pm

That is brilliant!

Katrina — January 5, 2011 @ 12:14 pm

These look lovely. I’m such a fan of homemade granola bars!

Lauren at KeepItSweet — January 5, 2011 @ 12:31 pm

Definitely saving this recipe!!

Blond Duck — January 5, 2011 @ 12:31 pm

LOVE all the PB goodness you’ve been having.

Emily — January 5, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

nothing is better than peanut butter and chocolate? Amen Sistah.

Hannah — January 5, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

Oh, brilliant! Never thought of putting chia seeds in my granola, so I certainly have ot make these. Particularly as I’m a die-hard pb fan ;)

I only wish I’d had this recipe when I had dried bananas in the kitchen. Funnily enough, I made dried banana peanut butter granola, but stupidly left the honey on the counter. Your recipe would clearly by the tastier of the two :P

Holly — January 5, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

Another one I can’t wait to try this weekend. Craig goes ‘ooooooo football snacks’ when he saw the pictures :)

Estela @ Weekly Bite — January 5, 2011 @ 12:35 pm

These look delicious Jessica! We love homemade granola bars!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — January 5, 2011 @ 12:36 pm

I love making my own granola bars. They are so much better homemade (like everything else!) These looks so good and I love that they only have 5 ingredients.

Mackenzie @ The Caramel Cookie — January 5, 2011 @ 12:42 pm

I just bought some brown rice syrup and was looking for a new way to use it. YUM!

Julie (Food & Other Things) — January 5, 2011 @ 12:48 pm

These look amazing! I’m always on the lookout for a good homemade granola bar recipe. I love that these have five ingriedients!

Ashley — January 5, 2011 @ 12:49 pm

Chia seeds? As in the Chia Pet? I just saw that you can eat those on “The Doctors” the other day! Can you buy those at a health food store?

• Jessica — January 5th, 2011 @ 1:10 pm

Yep – and they have them at Whole Foods… I actually saw them in my local grocery store the other day too. Love them!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — January 5, 2011 @ 12:53 pm

These do look awesome. The only problem with me making my own granola bars is that I eat the whole pan in a day. They’re too good :)

• Jessica — January 5th, 2011 @ 1:09 pm

I know!

Heather — January 5, 2011 @ 1:00 pm

these sound awesome! i have to say bacon sounds a little amazing…you need to send me some of those :)

Tiffany @ Conor & Bella — January 5, 2011 @ 1:01 pm

I always add chia seeds when I make granola. Love it! PB and chocolate chip granola bars sound awesome.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — January 5, 2011 @ 1:16 pm

Simple is DEFINITELY the best sometimes!!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — January 5, 2011 @ 1:19 pm

Bacon would just up the protein right? I can only see that as a positive.

• Jessica — January 5th, 2011 @ 1:41 pm

Excellent point!

steph@stephsbitebybite — January 5, 2011 @ 1:34 pm

These look so delish! …but the minute you figure out how to add bacon, please let me know :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — January 5, 2011 @ 1:34 pm

Oh wow, I need these right.now. I’ve been eating peanut butter like it’s my job lately and I will eat granola at any time of day without complaints. Great recipe! :)

brandi — January 5, 2011 @ 1:50 pm

Idea:

Bacon + Honey Roasted Peanut bars.

And please send me some if you make them! :)

Healthy chocoholic — January 5, 2011 @ 1:50 pm

Yuuum! I’ve actually been looking for a granola bar recipe!!!! thanks!

Bethany @Bridezilla Bakes — January 5, 2011 @ 1:51 pm

Love these. I really needed a simple granola bar recipe, since the long ingredient lists of other recipes make me tired just looking at them!

Kristina @ spabettie — January 5, 2011 @ 1:53 pm

yes, please add bacon and report back ;)

I totally laughed and choked on my tea when you said you’ve already made 5 batches. because I know. I love to make my own granola bars, but I can also eat the whole pan before Jason even gets home :)

Amanda (Eating Up) — January 5, 2011 @ 1:54 pm

I love that these are so simple! The possibilities are endless.

shelly (cookies and cups) — January 5, 2011 @ 1:57 pm

My kids LOVE homemade granola bars…I will definitely have to try them :)

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — January 5, 2011 @ 2:01 pm

These look DELICIOUS! PB & granola!? Really – we love.

Jennifer (keepitsimplefoods) — January 5, 2011 @ 2:01 pm

5 ingredients = awesomeness

Paige (running around normal) — January 5, 2011 @ 2:03 pm

What a request from Mr. How Sweet! haha
    Those granola bars look amazing. I shall be trying my own hand at these :D And I love incorporating chia seeds into my bars – love the texutre and hold they give (man I sound like I’m talking about hair gel…)

• Jessica — January 5th, 2011 @ 2:32 pm

Hahahah! No, I know exactly what you mean!

Camille — January 5, 2011 @ 2:04 pm

Yum! I always have problems getting my granola bars to stick together. These look pretty darn sticky, if you ask me :)

Victoria (District Chocoholic) — January 5, 2011 @ 2:10 pm

“He does not need any more fiber. Trust me.”

Bahahahaha

Krystina (Basil & Wine) — January 5, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

Delicious! I agree, simple usually is best, but my mind likes to overcomplicate everything.

• Jessica — January 5th, 2011 @ 2:31 pm

I know… it’s terrible isn’t it? So does mine.

Brittany — January 5, 2011 @ 2:14 pm

At our house we absolutely love granola/museli bars! They vanish as soon as they’re out of the oven. I’m impressed that your bars only have 5 ingredients.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — January 5, 2011 @ 2:15 pm

just saved this recipe in my recipe bookmark page!! :) love it!

Kate @ahealthypassion — January 5, 2011 @ 2:17 pm

these sound so awesome!

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) — January 5, 2011 @ 2:19 pm

YUM! These look awesome and I love how few ingredients they have. I have all of them on hand!

xo

Katie — January 5, 2011 @ 2:25 pm

these look amazing!!!!

Lauren — January 5, 2011 @ 2:27 pm

I love how simple & healthy these granola bars are! So many homemade versions call for oil, butter, and sugar… this recipe is right up my alley :).

Katie — January 5, 2011 @ 2:31 pm

Yes! I can’t wait to make these! Gluten-free, too…you’re a yummy-food-genius.

Gina @ Skinnytaste — January 5, 2011 @ 2:32 pm

These look great Jessica, I love your blog!

• Jessica — January 5th, 2011 @ 2:38 pm

Thank you!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — January 5, 2011 @ 2:33 pm

These look delicious! I love making homemade granola and granola bars. They are so much better than store bought! Growing up, we used to make an oatmeal cookie with bacon and cheese in it. It sounds strange, but it was really good. You should definitely add the bacon!

• Jessica — January 5th, 2011 @ 2:38 pm

Doesn’t sound strange to me – sounds amazing!

thehealthyapron — January 5, 2011 @ 2:38 pm

as always, another genius recipe! I found chia seeds (finally) but they are so flippin’ expensive!! I did try the xmas bark you made………..I don’t think I can make those again if I want my jeans to continue to fit! lol

• Jessica — January 5th, 2011 @ 2:41 pm

They are expensive, but I find that they last a long time – a little goes a long way! Glad you liked the bark. :)

shannon — January 5, 2011 @ 2:41 pm

The BF gave me a Bacon Cookbook for Christmas. I drool over it almost everynight.

I love the sound of these bars and I LOVE the thought of you making some with bacon.

1 2 3 4

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Easy and Healthy Peanut Butter Granola Bars | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: welcome to ABBYnormally.com

3. Pingback: The Elvis Granola Bar. | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: Just Call Me: Martha. | Elephant Ears

5. Pingback: Super Easy Granola Bars « its the cookie monster!

6. Pingback: Formula Blog

7. Pingback: Apple Peanut Butter Snack Bars | How Sweet It Is

8. Pingback: Fun Food Saturday: Granola « Jolly Tomato

9. Pingback: Time for rest |

10. Pingback: Happy Nutella Day! « Strawberry/Maasikas

11. Pingback: Ready | Yes, I want cake.

12. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #23 – 5 Ingredient Peanut Butter Granola Bars « Ella Rose Entertaining

13. Pingback: Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia! Not just for your pet… | WebRD

14. Pingback: Peanut Butter Granola Balls | Two Peas & Their Pod

15. Pingback: no-bake granola bars. | simply chic.

16. Pingback: Brown Rice Granola Bars | The Lean Green Bean

17. Pingback: 31 Recipes « loseitin30days.com

18. Pingback: 31 Recipes » Get Healthy

19. Pingback: In The Kitchen Challenge » Get Healthy

20. Pingback: In The Kitchen Challenge « loseitin30days.com

21. Pingback: 31 Recipes » Get Healthy

22. Pingback: 31 Recipes « loseitin30days.com

23. Pingback: Chocolate Peanut Butter Craisin Granola Bars

24. Pingback: WHOLE FOODS March 2012 Menu | OAMC from Once A Month Mom

25. Pingback: Tasty Granola with Flax Seeds and Cranberries | ashleylovesbaking

26. Pingback: Freezer Cooking Breakfasts « humble adoration

27. Pingback: Power Peanut Butter Granola Snacks « What will I cook today?

28. Pingback: Foodgawker « My California Life

29. Pingback: No-Bake Peanut Butter Granola Bars | Homemade Granola Bar Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

30. Pingback: Peanut Butter Granola Bars « thebitesizedbaker

31. Pingback: Recipe Sunday’s: New Recipes this week | Fit Fly Mamas

32. Pingback: WIAW #3: On a Very Long Day… | After the Ivy League

33. Pingback: Peanut Butter Granola Bars « Baking Kate

34. Pingback: {chewy no-bake peanut butter dark chocolate granola bars}

35. Pingback: Homemade Chewy Granola Bars {Recipe} | Home Sweet Here

36. Pingback: The BEST Granola Bars EVER! | littlepickyeaters

37. Pingback: Real Food Meal Plan: May 13-19 | LiveSimply

38. Pingback: Real Food on the Go | LiveSimply

39. Pingback: Real Food Meal Plan: May 27-June 2 | LiveSimply

40. Pingback: Real Food Meal Plan: June 3rd-8th | LiveSimply

41. Pingback: Chia Seed Granola Bars | Talking Tart

42. Pingback: No-Bake Granola Bars | six at 6

43. Pingback: Jewish Watch Australia » 5-Ingredient breakfast granola bars [Vegan, Gluten-free]

44. Pingback: Fit, Fed and Happy