I’m fairly convinced that the world would be a better place if more sprinkles were involved.

Cake Batter Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

I know. I just made pancakes. It seems I have an unnatural obsession with cake batter. Well I do.
But hear me out.

Cake Batter Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

When I develop recipes, I try to make all of them for a purpose. We really hate to waste food in this house. Crab cakes for dinner, cake for a birthday party, quinoa as a side dish… it all works out. I get to share it with you and we get to eat it.
Then sometimes, I get ideas in my head. Ideas that get me so worked up that I must attempt the recipe and give it a shot as soon as possible, even if it isn’t something we will eat every day. Otherwise, I cannot stop thinking about it. These are the things that keep me up at night.

Case in point: it isn’t anyone’s birthday. It’s not even really close to anyone’s birthday.

Cake Batter Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

But I don’t need an excuse to eat cake and sprinkles. I believe it should be a daily occurrence.

Cake Batter Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

And because pancakes always need some sort of topping, I went with a sprinkled glaze.

Cake Batter Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

Because nothing goes better with cake than more sugar!

Cake Batter Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

These are just plain fun.

Sure, they would be best for a special occasion like a birthday, but they also work on a random Saturday in January when it’s -2 degrees outside and all you want to see is some sunshine.
And you don’t feel like getting on the treadmill, so you decided to eat cake instead.

Cake Batter Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

That wasn’t me. I swear.

Cake Batter Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

And yes, this means you will have an open box of cake mix, just like you did with the cake batter bark. This is okay. You will manage. Sure, you may find yourself mixing cake mix with odd ingredients, but so what? Mother Lovett always had an open box of cake mix in her pantry. Given hers were usually about 4 years old… but still.
Just do it.

Cake Batter Pancakes I howsweeteats.com
Cake Batter Pancakes

makes about 12 pancakes

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

2/3 cup yellow cake mix

1 tablespoon sugar

3/4 teaspoon baking powder

pinch of salt

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1-2 cups milk (I used vanilla almond milk)

assorted sprinkles

Combine flour, cake mix, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl and mix. Add 1 cup of milk, egg and vanilla extract and stir until smooth. You want the batter to look like regular pancake batter; not too thin, not too thick. This will vary greatly on the brand of cake mix you use. Start with 1 cup of milk and add more if needed. I suggest a small taste test as well to see if the pancakes are flavored enough.

Preheat a skillet on medium heat (I use an electric grilled and turn it to 250 degrees). Fold desired amount of sprinkles into batter. Pour batter in 1/4 cup measurements onto skillet and let cook until bubbles form on top, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook for 1 minute more. Serve with vanilla glaze.
Glaze

1 cup powdered sugar

1/2 tablespoon milk

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

assorted sprinkles

Mix milk, extract and powdered sugar until glaze forms. You may need to add a little more sugar or water/milk to reach desired consistency. Mix into glaze and drizzle on pancakes.
Cake Batter Pancakes I howsweeteats.com

Maybe the secret to choking down broccoli is throwing sprinkles on top?

Wishful thinking…

625 Responses to “Cake Batter Pancakes.”

RandomTroll — June 8, 2011 @ 7:34 pm

:O I made these and they turned out salty…so can I not add salt? Or shall I add less salt.? Also, when would be a good time to flip them. I want them to turn out like yours. All yellowish…but it turns brown. Please help me?

• kristina — June 29th, 2011 @ 1:37 pm

hi, with all pancakes you flip them when you start to see a lot of air bubbles. also make sure your heat isnt too high because that will speed up the cooking significantly. hope i helped :)

• Shanna — September 27th, 2011 @ 1:21 pm

I bet you used self-rising flour and still added salt.

• RandomTroll — September 29th, 2011 @ 9:10 pm

No. O: i used all purpose flour.

kelsey — June 12, 2011 @ 5:14 pm

I LOVED this recipe. I have a complete sweet tooth so it was amazing for me. It was honestly my first time making pancakes and they turned out so pretty and yummy <3
    thank you!

Lemons and Louboutins — June 14, 2011 @ 11:52 am

O.M.G. What a great recipe! I can’t wait to surprise my fiance with these on Sunday!! Thanks for sharing.

Bus for Hire — June 15, 2011 @ 7:40 am

what a nice recipe. i also share it my family and friends.

Caitlin — June 18, 2011 @ 7:08 pm

From reading this post I have concluded that:
    1. We must be the same person.
    2. If we are not the same person (but I’m fairly certain we are) then you are my hero.
    3. I’m walking to the kitchen as soon as I hit “Submit” to make these from one of the 5 boxes of back-up cake mix I always have on hand.
    (Also, please tell me you’ve tried Nutella-Swirl cupcakes and/or any variation of Rainbow Cake/Cupcakes.)

Tylynn — June 20, 2011 @ 8:13 pm

I LOVE cake batter! I remember as a child opening cake mixes and dumping some of the mix in a bowl and mixing water in it and eating it with a spoon. YUMMMMM! I have to try these out. Thanks so much!

spankle — June 25, 2011 @ 7:24 pm

seriously? you seem you seem to love cooking so why are you flying the flag for ready made cake mix? it is the work of evil! so lazy and never tastes as good as the real thing, gross

• Jessica — June 26th, 2011 @ 8:39 am

As I wrote in this post: http://www.howsweeteats.com/2011/03/cake-batter-cinnamon-rolls/, it has been nearly impossible to recreate the “cake batter” flavor WITHOUT using cake mix. I have spent countless hours trying. Making a mix from scratch (flour, sugar, etc) does NOT replicate the flavor, even though when baked it obviously tastes like cake. If you are aware of how to make the cake batter flavor another way (besides a $20 extract that must be purchased on the internet), I would love to hear it. Otherwise, I suggest you stop judging.

• Mandee — July 12th, 2011 @ 11:43 am

Kudos! I agree! I was going to say the same thing

• JP — August 5th, 2011 @ 6:00 pm

Amen! Sometimes even the most seasoned chefs need to turn to store-bought or pre-made items and then jazz them up to make them their own. This is the perfect recipe for cooks of all levels and the pancakes taste amazing! I even tried using strawberry cake mix to change it up.

• Lori — September 26th, 2011 @ 6:10 pm

Ooo… strawberry cake mix…

• ALS — October 7th, 2011 @ 4:36 pm

Ditto on the judgement call… please refrain from “yucking” others “yums.” A very elementary manners lesson.

Brandy Thixton — June 25, 2011 @ 10:24 pm

Wow. Found this post on StumbleUpon, and I’m so excited about trying this recipe! I happen to have a box of Marble Cake Mix that’s been sitting in my cabinet for months. So glad to have a reason to use it! Thanks for the great idea!

• Chelsea Kathryn — June 29th, 2011 @ 8:34 pm

I found this on stumble upon too!!! So fun. and this is officially my new favorite recipe

• kc — August 22nd, 2011 @ 9:15 am

meee tooo! i love this recipe ! im glad i stumbled upon it ! see what i did there!

Haley from Nick&Haley — June 26, 2011 @ 3:41 pm

I love eating cake batter. ha. I can’t wait to try these. I want to try it with funfetti cake mix, since that is my favorite kind. These just look magical.

Kelsi — June 30, 2011 @ 5:36 pm

I made them! And they are sooooo good. They didn’t turn out as pretty as your picture but they were amazing. I made them for my siblings and they loved them. Thanks!

curly-headed-one — July 1, 2011 @ 9:28 pm

wow i just found them on stumbleupon and can’t wait to try them. hope i have cake mix l0l. they look soooo decidant and delicious. makin me hungry:)

Jennifer — July 5, 2011 @ 12:33 pm

Thanks for sharing – I made these on the 4th using the Cars molds from Williams-Sonoma for my nephew. I must say these pancakes were delicious!!!!!

Lisa — July 12, 2011 @ 4:43 am

How FUN! I’ve always had it in the back of my head to try making pancakes with cake mix.. thanks for sharing yours! Love the little pops of color from the sprinkles.

Vanessa Nicole — July 12, 2011 @ 4:07 pm

I don’t care how many calories are in these bad boys! I can’t wait to make them :)

Jennifer — July 13, 2011 @ 1:36 pm

This sounds like a good birthday breakfast for my husband or son :)

Wendy Blackheart — July 13, 2011 @ 5:14 pm

OMG! I found you via a link in my feed reader (I forgot which blog though.) These are PERFECT! My fiancee’s birthday is coming up, and nothing would be more perfect than cake batter pancakes. Perhaps I will try it with chocolate, since he does love that so much. I’ll let ya’ll know if chocolate works well! Thanks!

Meagen — July 17, 2011 @ 3:06 am

My fiances birthday is coming up also, and he hates cake, but loves pancakes! So I was googling how to bake a pancake (my first idea was to make a big square pan-birthday-cake but this idea is so much better, I know he’s going to love it. Thank you!

Aleacia — July 18, 2011 @ 8:58 am

I just wanted to share that I make pancakes every Sunday and made these after seeing them pinned on Pinterest :) Thanks for sharing the recipe, I love your blog, now following :)

~Aleacia

Miranda — July 19, 2011 @ 12:03 pm

Those pictures honestly made my mouth water, even though I just ate dinner! One can never have too much sugar in their life. D: Just, one question. I’m not in the US, and I probably won’t find the same products as you… In that case, what should I use instead of “yellow cake mix”? What kind of cake mix is “yellow”? It’d help a lot if you can help specify this, thank you!

• Jessica — July 19th, 2011 @ 12:18 pm

Any boxed vanilla cake mix should work!

Kristin — July 19, 2011 @ 3:16 pm

Would it be anywhere the same if i just added cake mix to pancake mix? or is it essential that the rest is from scratch. i realize this takes all the fun out of it and is way too simple, it is just a thought i had and wondered if it would work.

• Jessica — July 19th, 2011 @ 4:45 pm

I think so! I haven’t tried it so you’d have to play around with the measurements but I think it would work!

Keely — July 23, 2011 @ 3:10 pm

Hi! I’ve recently stumbled on your food blog and I love it! My dad is a chef. I’m 15 and I love cooking. I guess it’s in my blood. Looking through recipe books got frustrating so I started searching for food blogs. I was wondering if you could recommend any other blogs to me. Thanks!

Jules — July 29, 2011 @ 8:40 am

I used chocolate cake mix and substituted chocolate chips for the sprinkles. Kid (and mum and babysitter) approved! Deeeeeeeee-licious!

FGilmore — August 2, 2011 @ 3:58 pm

I made these and they were a hit with my daughter and two nieces. Thank you for this recipe!

ALEXANDRA — August 3, 2011 @ 6:00 pm

This is genius!! What a great idea & it does certainly look fun!!

Samanta Golcher — August 8, 2011 @ 7:15 pm

Thanks for this recipe, I can´t wait to do it for my kids.

mike — August 17, 2011 @ 12:19 am

yeah its 12am and i wanted cake but seeing this i think i will just make pancakes but with glaze :) yum thanks

hype — August 17, 2011 @ 5:56 am

Diabetes and obesity for tha people !!!!

NIIICE

Jasmine — August 17, 2011 @ 1:38 pm

Um, YUM! These would be great for a birthday breakfast too! I’m definitely not waiting until the next birthday to try them though!

Ekho — August 19, 2011 @ 11:09 pm

Mmmm… made these tonight for supper for me and my 2 year old. They’re definitely going into the rotation- very good, and now I have an open cake mix for cake batter ice cream!

• Ekho — September 5th, 2011 @ 10:24 pm

Just made these again tonight. I increased the amount of cake mix and decreased the flour, they tasted more cake-like. Also, try almond flavoring in the pancakes instead of vanilla, so good!

AlishaR — August 26, 2011 @ 8:44 am

My mother’s birthday is today. I showed it to her on stumbleupon one day and she loved the idea. I think I’ll surprise her with them when she comes home from work!

Kelly — August 28, 2011 @ 6:00 pm

oh my heck. these look amazing! I found you on pinterest because of these, and have been reading your blog and will now make these pancakes and probably everything on here! you are fantastic!

Beth — August 30, 2011 @ 9:49 am

I made these for breakfast on Sunday. Hubby thought the frosting was a little too sweet for breakfast so we ended up using syrup. I would def make them again, maybe as a fun dessert instead of breakfast next time. I love your recipes!

Kim — August 30, 2011 @ 6:06 pm

Tonight it was schedule to have Brinner. I saw this and sai Prefect! Then I was disappointed that I had run out of cake mix boxes! I keep about 2 to 3 on hand! SO off the store I go! Looking forward to it! Will post a pic later on FB!

Karen — August 31, 2011 @ 9:39 am

OMG…..this will be my new obsession until my bday (which is only about a week and a half away). I will have to get my husband to make these for me for my bday breakfast!!! After that I will just keep pretending it’s my bday and make them every so often :D

karla — September 16, 2011 @ 2:47 pm

Question: Do you think this would this work with a gluten free cake batter mix?

• Jessica — September 16th, 2011 @ 5:22 pm

I would think so, but I can’t say for sure as I am completely clueless when it comes to gluten-free products.

Steph-a-nie — September 20, 2011 @ 7:40 pm

OMG…saw a pix of these on http://www.cutestfood.com and came over looking for the recipe. These sound YUMMY!! I’m posting a link on my blog to your post because this is just too good not to share!! After I go grocery shopping, I will be trying these out!! THANKS for sharing!!

Angela — September 24, 2011 @ 10:16 am

OMG. I am without words. My best foodie buddy shared your blog with me yesterday and sadly that is all my family has heard about since. I have drawn them in with my full belly laughs and giggles at the comedy of your writing. You are truly gifted at your prose! I am addicted, and now for putting up with my new obsession, they get Cake Batter Pancakes for breakfast! I think it is a fair trade off!

laura panfilio — October 3, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

these look scrumptious…cannot wait to try them! thanks for sharing. love your pics too! xoxo *laura*

Lesli — October 4, 2011 @ 10:40 am

I was sooo excited to try these out! Today is my daughter’s 3rd birthday. So there was no better day to try them out! Unfortunately, it was a flop for me. It has nothing to do with your recipe!! My daughter has Celiac Disease so i had to do some substitutions (gf yellow cake mix and gf all purpose flour) that just didn’t pan out! For some reason, they never bubbled like pancakes and never cooked all the way through. No matter how then i made them, they remained gooey in the middle :( If you ever do it gluten-free, i’d love to know!

mrsblocko — October 15, 2011 @ 11:18 am

I made these and wrote about them here. Thank you so much for posting this recipe so I can be “the best mom in the world.” Cause while pancakes for dinner are wonderful, cake batter pancakes are fan flippin tastic!

antonio jadens — October 17, 2011 @ 7:39 am

It has nothing to do with your my blog will be my new cooking school keep hosting and organizing events at various places obsession until my bay to your post because this is just too good not to share!!

Karen — October 17, 2011 @ 9:03 pm

I tried these pancakes tonight! They were a big hit! I definitely needed close to the 2 cups of water. My 6 year old daughter helped me and when she started mixing asked if we were making a cake! I used a 1/4 cup measuring cup and doubled the recipe. I wonder what other flavors of cake mix would be like.

Rachel — October 19, 2011 @ 11:06 am

My daughter is having a Pajama Party for her 4th Birthday and I have been relentlessly searching for the perfect cake! And I think I’ve found it!! I usually make cakes the night before the party, do you think this recipe will be ok to sit overnight? Or is it more of a pancake than a cake cake??

• Jessica — October 19th, 2011 @ 11:08 am

It’s definitely a pancake – not a cake recipe. I wouldn’t advise making them the night before just because they will probably get a bit soggy and gummy like leftover pancakes do.

Kitt — October 19, 2011 @ 7:52 pm

This is wonderful! My son will be 6 on Friday- and this is going to be his birthday breakfast! *love*

Mama B — October 21, 2011 @ 9:40 pm

I just fell in love. There – I said it.

Mellisa — October 28, 2011 @ 10:26 am

I think my kids would freak out over these pancakes! This would make the perfect birthday breakfast.

Elizabeth Norton — November 3, 2011 @ 12:14 am

Can not wait to try these!

Alli Morris — November 3, 2011 @ 11:27 pm

Absolutely amazing! Thank you!!I read an earlier post about hers being too salty so I reduced my salt and added a little more cake mix after a “taste test” ;)

Kristy — November 9, 2011 @ 10:11 am

Did anyone try it in their waffle iron? We are this morning for my hubby’s birthday and they are great! Just so you know!

Eileen — November 14, 2011 @ 1:06 pm

Do you think that I could use this cake batter pancake recipe to deep fry candy bars?!

• Jessica — November 14th, 2011 @ 4:54 pm

Yikes… honestly not sure. Never fried anything before with a pancake batter!