If you’ve been hanging ’round these parts for a while, you know there are an abundance of the following items in our house: chicken, steak, chocolate, bacon, rice, chicken and more chicken. And chocolate chip cookies.

If Mr. How Sweet could eat one food for the rest of his life, it would probably be steak. But if he was granted a second choice, he would wash that steak down with chocolate chip cookies.

And if he was really lucky, he’d stand over the sink shoveling said cookies in his mouth and drinking Diet Coke.

But there are only so many cookies a girl can eat. And trust me, I can eat a lot of cookies.

So I decided to shake things up a bit… but take it slowly. After all, I didn’t need any tantrums. How about presenting Mr. How Sweet with a cake that tasted like a chocolate chip cookie?

With a bit of a salty glaze. Because if there is anything I love more than chocolate and peanut butter, it’s chocolate and sea salt.

Which probably explains why I chased a Snickers bar with three Pringles in my younger years. Courtesy of Mother Lovett’s snack cupboard of course. I started early.

I asked Mr. How Sweet how he felt about the cake bars, and he threw out a few “happy” obscenities that just aren’t appropriate for this family friendly blog. But he did say that they don’t really taste like cake, since he doesn’t love cake. And they obviously aren’t cookies… but they are gooey, almost pastry-like… and really, really delicious.

And they must have been great, because at 10 o’clock on Saturday night, they were gone. Like… completely gone. A mere 10 hours since I had first baked them. We had no guests. We don’t have pets. I guess we just have bottomless pits?

At least I can blame Mr. How Sweet on this one.

Chocolate Chip Cake Bars

slightly adapted from allrecipes

6 tablespoons butter, softened

3/4 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 cup white sugar

3 eggs

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour

2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup milk (I used vanilla almond milk)

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350.

Cream butter and sugars in the bowl and of electric mixer. Add vanilla, and add eggs one at a time. In separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt. Add half of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, alternating with the milk and ending with the dry ingredients. Toss chocolate chips with a tiny bit of flour and them fold them into the batter.

Spray a 13 x 9 cake pan (or baking dish) with non-stick spray. Layer with parchment paper and spray again. Pour batter in pan and spread evenly. Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until knife inserted in middle comes out clean.

Salted Chocolate Glaze

8 ounce high-quality chocolate

1/4 teaspoon sea salt (or more if you’d like)

Melt chocolate in a double boiled or in the microwave (in 30 second increments). Stir in sea salt. Pour over chocolate chip cake.

I’ve never been more thankful for our treadmill.

127 Responses to “Chocolate Chip Cake Bars with Salted Chocolate Glaze.”

Holli — January 18, 2011 @ 4:13 pm

Wow wow wow!!!

Michelle — January 18, 2011 @ 4:13 pm

These look soooo good. I’ve never tried salted chocolate, but it looks like I will be soon- these are going on my must-bake-soon list. Thanks for the recipe and beautiful pictures!

Moni'sMeals — January 18, 2011 @ 4:28 pm

Wow! I need this today, Must have it. I think this is my next sweet recipe for the week to make. :)

The Menu Mama — January 18, 2011 @ 4:28 pm

Yummy! I need to make these. You always have such amazing recipes!

Jennifer (keepitsimplefoods) — January 18, 2011 @ 4:40 pm

Love the salty and sweet combo. I’m a big fan of salted pretzles dipped in chocolate and chocolate chips in salty popcorn. Love it!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — January 18, 2011 @ 4:43 pm

This looks like pure perfection, but I bet you could even use various chips to change it up…like, peanut butter chips, for example…

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — January 18, 2011 @ 5:00 pm

Gooey cake with salty chocolate glaze? I can’t imagine anything more wonderful right now!

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) — January 18, 2011 @ 5:06 pm

How come my fork won’t go through this computer!!! Gimme!!! :)

Salah@myhealthiestlife — January 18, 2011 @ 5:21 pm

omg. I’m salivating everywhere….at work.

Lauren — January 18, 2011 @ 5:47 pm

I too, have a bottomless pit. If you figure out where to disregard yours…kindly let me know.

mary (what's cookin' with mary) — January 18, 2011 @ 5:51 pm

That cake looks like heavan! I love it ;)

Natalia - a side of simple — January 18, 2011 @ 5:53 pm

Treadmill = sweat. So these are the perfect recovery food because of the salt…yes/yes?

• Jessica — January 18th, 2011 @ 5:55 pm

I love how you think.

the country cook @ Delightful Country Cookin — January 18, 2011 @ 5:55 pm

Why, why, WHY must you put that recipe up in the morning?? I’m trying to lose weight here! :-)

Kacy — January 18, 2011 @ 5:56 pm

Could you please teleport a slice of that to me for my birthday?? ;)

• Jessica — January 18th, 2011 @ 5:59 pm

How I wish I could! Happy Birthday! :)

A Tablespoon of Liz — January 18, 2011 @ 5:57 pm

These look amazing!

Ellen@FirednFabulous — January 18, 2011 @ 6:05 pm

I die. #1 for this crazy-delicious dessert that is neither cookie or cake. #2 for Mr. How Sweet. When you were talking about cookies in the beginning, I was like Waaait, what about the DIET COKE?! Haha…should have known you wouldn’t leave that out ;)

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — January 18, 2011 @ 6:07 pm

Mmm those look pretty amazing even if they’re not cake like. I would love a chocolate chip cake with chocolate frosting right now – thanks for that lol

Paige (running around normal) — January 18, 2011 @ 6:20 pm

hmm…this is a great idea! Like a big fluffy cake cookie! :)

Lauren from Lauren's Latest — January 18, 2011 @ 6:39 pm

Oh mama. This looks absolutely divine. YUM.

Mr. How Sweet It Is — January 18, 2011 @ 6:46 pm

In case anyone is wondering, this recipe makes approximately 1 serving.

Megan (Braise The Roof) — January 18, 2011 @ 7:24 pm

You are like a magician with your chocolate. If I didn’t have plans tonight, I’d totally be leaving work and immediately making these. (Incidentally, I bought all the ingredients for your white bean hash at the grocery store last night…can’t wait to make it!)

• Jessica — January 18th, 2011 @ 7:33 pm

Mmmm… enjoy!

Alyssa @ Life of bLyss — January 18, 2011 @ 7:31 pm

you’re awesome. you’re the jam, the bomb, the monaaayyyy.

and i love the fact that it’s not cakelike. cookies > cake any day.

i’m suddenly reminded of my childhood fave, the chocolate chip cookie cake. woohoo!

Natalie @ While I Breathe — January 18, 2011 @ 7:42 pm

i need you to be my personal chef fyi :) and chocolate is fine for a major food group!

Blond Duck — January 18, 2011 @ 7:48 pm

How do you eat all these delicious things without looking like one of my beloved hippoes?

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — January 18, 2011 @ 7:48 pm

never a day goes by that i am not in love w/ something on your screen that i see. DELISH!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — January 18, 2011 @ 7:53 pm

Stop. Just stop. I’m craving chocolate right now, and I blame you!!

Kidding, kind of :) Needless to say, these look AMAZING!

Nichole @ Flirting with Food, Fitness & Fashion — January 18, 2011 @ 9:05 pm

So delicious and creative – as always :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss — January 18, 2011 @ 9:37 pm

Can I move in with you? :P

• Jessica — January 19th, 2011 @ 4:05 am

Sure! :)

Lisa @Thrive Style — January 18, 2011 @ 9:37 pm

These are beautiful, just like all of your pictures….but this is something that is totally right up my alley. As in, I could go for one right now and totally eat too many after that!

Caitlin (EatFeats) — January 18, 2011 @ 9:50 pm

Oh my gosh–that batter! It looks like fluffy butter quicksand. The kind of quicksand that I would eagerly sink into so that I could eat my way out.

Kayla (Little Miss Healthify) — January 18, 2011 @ 11:03 pm

I’m surprised you haven’t made a bacon brownie yet! :)

Cara Craves... — January 18, 2011 @ 11:57 pm

Beautiful!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — January 19, 2011 @ 12:12 am

That chocolate sauce looks like the perfect compliment to the cake! YUM!

eliz@the sweet life — January 19, 2011 @ 12:53 am

OH.MY.GOODNESS. Definitely making these this weekend.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 19, 2011 @ 1:01 am

This one is a must-make for sure!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — January 19, 2011 @ 2:24 am

Oh, yum! Of course I love the chocolate chip cake bars, but the salted chocolate glaze? Yes, yes! I love all things salted and chocolate.

Ingrid — January 19, 2011 @ 2:46 am

This looks wonderful! As always!

Kris | iheartwellness.com — January 19, 2011 @ 3:40 am

shut.the.front.door! This looks so amazing.

See, this is my issue with baking at home…..we eat, eat, eat all the cookies, cake or loaves in a day. Not good.

The funny thing is I am starting up a stinking bakery! Better workout harder :|

xxoo

• Jessica — January 19th, 2011 @ 3:58 am

You are?! Yay! How fun is that?

• Kris | iheartwellness.com — January 19th, 2011 @ 4:20 am

Its my passion and i love it, but it is boat loads of work.

We are starting online first with selling to local shops and then will open our own location later this year :)

All gluten-free and vegan…..pure joy!

xxoo

Mandy (theamazonprincess) — January 19, 2011 @ 3:45 am

Hey Jessica! I’ve read your blog for a while, but just created my own so I thought I would comment.

But YUM. That’s all I can say. I’m not a big fan of cake either. But choco chip cookies? YES PLEASE! :) I need to make these a.s.a.p.

Kat — January 19, 2011 @ 4:06 am

Thank you Jessica, you make me feel so much better after eating cookies, a cupcake, AND ice cream.
    May I come visit you and help you eat all of your yummy treats? We can exercise afterwards too if you like.

Sana — January 19, 2011 @ 6:11 am

Your blog needs to come with a warning label to not read late at night! I now have to go look for sweets!!!
    <3 youuu!

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — January 19, 2011 @ 12:50 pm

I want one of these bars for breakfast, ASAP!

Have you tried the Lindt Excellence dark chocolate bar with a touch of sea salt? It’s yummy too!

• Jessica — January 19th, 2011 @ 12:55 pm

Oh heck yes. I should buy stock in those things.

Heather — January 19, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

Not a big fan of chocolate with salt but that looks amazing! Beautiful pics!

PattyM — January 20, 2011 @ 3:26 am

These look awesome I can’t wait to try them!

Claire — March 4, 2011 @ 3:43 pm

I made these last night, except I omitted the glaze for powdered sugar. They are A-FREAKING-MAZING. Thank you for sharing!!

bryanna c a — March 11, 2011 @ 12:58 pm

made these last night, everyone at work LOVED them! (i also added a little Kahlua to the batter, amazing.)

Denise — April 7, 2011 @ 10:34 am

Have you tried using butterscotch morsels before? And also, could kosher salt work in the place of sea salt? Thanks, and they look delicious :) !!!

• Jessica — April 7th, 2011 @ 1:12 pm

I’m not a huge fan of butterscotch but I am sure it would work. And yes – that salt will be fine!

Lindsay — May 30, 2011 @ 11:03 pm

Just made these….. better then I imagined, I didn’t know that was even possible!!! You are seriously my favorite food blog. Everytime you post something, I want to run to my kitchen and make it :)

emily — November 27, 2011 @ 2:40 am

Your recipe looks amazing!But how much will it make?

Julie S. — August 24, 2012 @ 11:21 pm

Had an extraordinarily bad week. Like think bad week and multiply it by a million and your half way there. Stumbled across your blog and this recipe caught my eye. My husband has been under far too much stress and I’m hoping this cookie/cake will cheer him. It’s all his favorite flavors in one bite. Thank you for having such a wonderful witty blog. Making your BBQ beer chicken tomorrow!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Chocolate Chip Cake Bars with a Salted Chocolate Glaze | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Latest Chocolate Auctions | Chocolate Recipes for You

3. Pingback: Apple Peanut Butter Snack Bars | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: Chocolate & Cookbook Scharffen Berger giveaway for Valentine’s Day — Family Fresh Cooking

5. Pingback: Homemade Chocolate Caramel Cups | How Sweet It Is

6. Pingback: Foodie Friday: Salted Chocolate and Pecan Cake Bars | The Realistic Nutritionist