If you checked out the what we ate page I created, you probably noticed that we had salmon for dinner one evening. Well… it wasn’t just any ole’ salmon!

It was salmon encrusted with pecans and cinnamon. It was perfect.

Since I can’t do anything like a normal person, I had to add some kind of twist to traditional pecan crusted salmon. Cinnamon it was!

I also coated the salmon with some of our favorite glaze so the pecan mixture would stick. I thought it would add a good bit of flavor instead of coating the fish in an egg or egg white mix.

If you have never tasted Daddy Sam’s glaze, now would be a good time to immediately close your computer and pick some up. It is insanely delicious, even when used on salmon alone. It’s also fabulous on shrimp and chicken. And Mr. How Sweet would probably like to eat this with a spoon, as any form of BBQ sauce is his drug of choice. But I try to restrain him.

I know. He has odd habits.

He also doesn’t like pecans. Which meant that I had to serve this to him strategically – when he was starving – so he would eat it without looking and realize it was coated in pecans.

Mission accomplished! I watched him devour the salmon and claim how delicious it was. Then with a giant smirk on my face I told him it had a pecan crust while laughing hysterically.

I love tricking him.

So why is this salmon so incredible you ask? The fish is buttery and savory and the crust is crunchy and with a bit of spiced sweetness. I was skeptical of the outcome but it is probably now one of my favorite ways to make salmon. Very different, but very good. Even good enough to put on a salad. Who am I?

Cinnamon Pecan Crusted Salmon

serves 3-4

1 pound of salmon, cut into 4 pieces, or 4 salmon filets

1/2 cup BBQ or mustard sauce/glaze (I used Daddy Sam’s)

2/3 cup pecans, finely ground in a food processor

1 teaspoon cinnamon

2 tablespoons olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Add ground pecans to a large plate and stir in cinnamon. Brush salmon pieces with BBQ sauce/glaze. Coat with pecan mixture, pressing so the mixture sticks.

Heat a skillet on medium high heat and add a tablespoon of olive oil. Brown salmon on each side until pecan crust is golden. Remove and put on a wire rack placed on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, or until salmon flakes with a fork.

Serve with rice or vegetables, or on a salad.

At least I know one thing about myself. I am the person who ate all of the brownie cupcakes.

95 Responses to “Cinnamon Pecan Crusted Salmon.”

Salah (My Healthiest LIfestyle) — January 14, 2011 @ 6:33 pm

this looks so bomb!!!

Leslie — January 14, 2011 @ 6:39 pm

This looks wonderful. I have been looking for a recipe for Tuna steaks. Do you think I could do this with Tuna? Or do you have another suggestion?

• Jessica — January 14th, 2011 @ 7:05 pm

I’m not really sure. Unfortunately, I’ve never made (or even had!) tuna steaks.

Ash — January 14, 2011 @ 6:52 pm

That looks DELICIOUS. Totally my type of recipe. I’ve been wanting to eat salmon in a different way for a while…

Except I don’t have any type of BBQ sauce or glaze in the house.

Aw, pooh. =(

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy — January 14, 2011 @ 6:58 pm

That looks delicious…and that’s a lot for me to say, having never been a huge fan of seafood. In the past couple of years salmon has slowly made it’s way into my diet though, and I think the incorporation of cinnamon and pecans might have just won me over :).

Abby — January 14, 2011 @ 7:22 pm

I dont even like seafood and a bookmarked to make this! I think Dave would LOVE it. Where do you get Daddy Sam’s?

SEE YOU TOMORROW :)

Aimee — January 14, 2011 @ 7:43 pm

If I didn’t know better, I would think I was reading something I had written. Mr. How Sweet seems to have quirks similar to those of my husband. I, too, love to expand his palate (torture him) by tricking him into eating things he would never even sniff under normal circumstances.

Thanks for the entertainment and great recipes!

Blond Duck — January 14, 2011 @ 8:19 pm

I would love it. Ben wouldn’t touch it.

WenDee Riffe — January 14, 2011 @ 9:24 pm

hmm~~~jessica!!! i am trying to decide if i should trust ya on this one!!!!??? cinnamon??pecan?? ok–you did it!! you have never disappointed me before so i am gonna put this on the weekend menu!!! i will update ya on how it turns out!!!!

Kelly — January 14, 2011 @ 10:29 pm

Mmmm. Sounds delicious. I guess I’ve never thought of cinnamon with salmon but now I don’t see why not. It sounds like an absolutely lovely combo.

Kim in MD — January 14, 2011 @ 11:05 pm

Your creative culinary mind never ceases to amaze me, Jessica! I must find some of that glaze a.s.a.p.! :-)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss — January 14, 2011 @ 11:24 pm

Ohhh I bet that was glorious!

Cara — January 15, 2011 @ 12:44 am

I love how crunchy it looks!

• Jessica — January 15th, 2011 @ 4:05 am

That was my favorite part too.. it was so crunchy!

Julie — January 15, 2011 @ 12:46 am

I LOVE your blog. Thank you for being a REAL girl who eats REAL food sans guilt, but also balances it with fitness. Will be back for more!
    Feel free to peruse mine =)

Kat — January 15, 2011 @ 3:34 am

Yummy pecans, cinnamon, and salmon! How can it get any better?

Jane B — January 15, 2011 @ 4:19 am

The flavours make my mouth water at the thought. Salmon it is this week (now I’ve just got to find pecans that don’t cost an arm, a leg and my firstborn child).

megan — January 15, 2011 @ 4:03 pm

I just seem to love everything you make. This salmon included! Mr. How Sweet, your a lucky bum!!
    I’ll give you a big fat thumbs up for sure! :) Have a great weekend!

Sherrie — January 15, 2011 @ 4:41 pm

Not that your salmon looks like it needs something more, but have you ever tried blueberry compote with salmon? (Like you say, there’s something about the sweetness, so good!) One of our favorite restaurants (Stonewood Tavern and Grill) serves “Pacific Cliffs Salmon” with brandied blueberry compote on top, which seems strange, but it has to be tried. I can only imagine it goes something like this…

Lora — January 15, 2011 @ 10:17 pm

My husband is also very anti-pecan (also walnuts, brazil nuts, and any other nut he deems “woody-tasting”) so I can’t wait to try this out on him to see if he’s as smitten with it as Mr. How Sweet was.

marla {family fresh cooking} — January 16, 2011 @ 2:15 am

I really cannot believe how amazing this looks. Fun way to prepare my FAVORITE food in the world ;) xo

Anne Marie — January 16, 2011 @ 4:15 pm

This looks absolutely delicious! I bet the combination of flavors is amazing :)

Debbie — January 16, 2011 @ 7:48 pm

Oh yum. But my husband doesn’t like pecans OR salmon. Got any tips for how I could trick him into eating this salmon without realizing that it’s salmon? ;-)

Maura — January 17, 2011 @ 9:07 pm

This is my first time commenting, but this looks incredible. I am not a huge salmon fan unless prepared very well. I need to try this!

• Jessica — January 18th, 2011 @ 3:07 am

Thanks Maura!

Lindsay — February 9, 2011 @ 8:29 pm

Looked all over the internet that had a salmon recipe that looked good that we had the ingredients for, and yours was it! Although I do not have the glaze, I’m thinking I can make it with some substitutions (ginger, molasses, any other ingredients/flavors I need to know about?). Definitely sounds interesting though and now I want to order some! Btw I love your blog, it’s great!!!

• Jessica — February 9th, 2011 @ 9:00 pm

Thanks! Let me know if you like it.

Molly — April 12, 2011 @ 1:01 am

I tried this tonight for dinner, and I think I used too much bbq sauce (or not enough pecans) because my crust wasn’t really crunchy. It was still good though!

Courtney — June 1, 2011 @ 11:28 pm

I made this last night with a honey mustard bbq and a little bit up maple syrup and cooked it on hickory planks on a charcoal grill..it was one of the best things i’ve ever had!

brittany — June 29, 2011 @ 2:33 pm

Do you think this would be good on chicken?

• Jessica — June 29th, 2011 @ 5:56 pm

Alyssa — October 4, 2011 @ 7:52 pm

I just made this recipe and I have to say, this was by far the BEST salmon recipe I have ever made. I tweaked it a little, using whole grain mustard as my “sticking” ingredient and added some smoked paprika for a kick. Divine! Seared the crust onto the filet then baked it in the oven for 10 minutes. It was super moist and perfectly seasoned.

I love you blog and you have fantastic ideas! I am definitely coming back for more inspiration. Thanks for sharing!

mike — January 19, 2012 @ 4:49 pm

I have had this recipe several times at a local resturant. Best salmon dish ever. I will be cooking it tonight.I will let you know how it turne out.

Alyssa — February 20, 2012 @ 12:12 am

My boyfriend and I made this for his mom. Really delicious. Mouth smacking/noise inducingly good.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Cinnamon Pecan Crusted Salmon. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #2 – Cinnamon Pecan Crusted Salmon « Ella Rose Entertaining

3. Pingback: year of the rabbit « wild world

4. Pingback: TRADITIONAL March 2011 Menu (OAMC, Once A Month Cooking, Freezer Cooking) | OAMC from Once A Month Mom

5. Pingback: Gluten-free Cinnamon and Pecan Crusted Salmon | The Queen of Quinoa | Gluten-free + Quinoa Recipes

6. Pingback: piece of cake: not as if | de novo