If you checked out the what we ate page I created, you probably noticed that we had salmon for dinner one evening. Well… it wasn’t just any ole’ salmon!

It was salmon encrusted with pecans and cinnamon. It was perfect.

Since I can’t do anything like a normal person, I had to add some kind of twist to traditional pecan crusted salmon. Cinnamon it was!

I also coated the salmon with some of our favorite glaze so the pecan mixture would stick. I thought it would add a good bit of flavor instead of coating the fish in an egg or egg white mix.

If you have never tasted Daddy Sam’s glaze, now would be a good time to immediately close your computer and pick some up. It is insanely delicious, even when used on salmon alone. It’s also fabulous on shrimp and chicken. And Mr. How Sweet would probably like to eat this with a spoon, as any form of BBQ sauce is his drug of choice. But I try to restrain him.

I know. He has odd habits.

He also doesn’t like pecans. Which meant that I had to serve this to him strategically – when he was starving – so he would eat it without looking and realize it was coated in pecans.

Mission accomplished! I watched him devour the salmon and claim how delicious it was. Then with a giant smirk on my face I told him it had a pecan crust while laughing hysterically.

I love tricking him.

So why is this salmon so incredible you ask? The fish is buttery and savory and the crust is crunchy and with a bit of spiced sweetness. I was skeptical of the outcome but it is probably now one of my favorite ways to make salmon. Very different, but very good. Even good enough to put on a salad. Who am I?

Cinnamon Pecan Crusted Salmon

serves 3-4

1 pound of salmon, cut into 4 pieces, or 4 salmon filets

1/2 cup BBQ or mustard sauce/glaze (I used Daddy Sam’s)

2/3 cup pecans, finely ground in a food processor

1 teaspoon cinnamon

2 tablespoons olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Add ground pecans to a large plate and stir in cinnamon. Brush salmon pieces with BBQ sauce/glaze. Coat with pecan mixture, pressing so the mixture sticks.

Heat a skillet on medium high heat and add a tablespoon of olive oil. Brown salmon on each side until pecan crust is golden. Remove and put on a wire rack placed on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, or until salmon flakes with a fork.

Serve with rice or vegetables, or on a salad.

At least I know one thing about myself. I am the person who ate all of the brownie cupcakes.

98 Responses to “Cinnamon Pecan Crusted Salmon.”

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun — January 14, 2011 @ 11:49 am

That sounds SOOO good! I would have never thought of using cinnamon and pecans to crust a fish. Just goes to show you how creative I am….not! ;-)

Lauren at KeepItSweet — January 14, 2011 @ 11:56 am

Cinnamon pecans remind of of dessert. Yes, I would love this!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — January 14, 2011 @ 11:56 am

You are so creative! I need to find me some of that glaze! Can it be found at a regular grocery store, or a specialty store?

• Jessica — January 14th, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

You should be able to find it at any grocery store in the condiment aisle.

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — January 14, 2011 @ 12:02 pm

How do you think of these recipes?? I’ve never even heard of salmon glaze, but I’m not very experienced in glazes and bbq sauces. Another great recipe!

• Jessica — January 14th, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

Many, many hours in the kitchen!

Blog is the New Black — January 14, 2011 @ 12:03 pm

I love tricking Lloyd, too. I don’t like salmon, but I love the idea of this crust!

Hannah — January 14, 2011 @ 12:06 pm

Oh my heavens. BRILLIANT. My family and I used to (before I moved out) have salmon almost every Sunday, but we rarely strayed from Asian lime/chilli/soy/coriander marinades. I must email this to mum!

Gen — January 14, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

Yum!!!! That looks amazing and I don’t even like pecans! =D

Nourhan @ Miss Anthropist's Kitchen — January 14, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

Whaat? That’s crazy! Awesome idea! :)

Katrina — January 14, 2011 @ 12:21 pm

This is so strange sounding! I love the idea though. Neat recipe.

Cathy B. @ Bright Bakes — January 14, 2011 @ 12:31 pm

I know you may not want to hear this(as your first preference would be sweets, right? ;) )….but i love LOVE these “savory” posts…always help me get more creative with dinner!
    love,
    cathy b.

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen — January 14, 2011 @ 12:52 pm

This sounds so good – and that glaze sounds great, too! Looking for it the next time I hit up the grocery storeee.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — January 14, 2011 @ 12:54 pm

I love pecan-crusted ANYTHING. I’m pretty sure you could crust dog crap with pecans, and I would love it. But this looks especially delicious :-)

Sara — January 14, 2011 @ 1:02 pm

This look SO good! it’s an unusual combination, but it definitely sounds tasty. Do you think it would work w/ frozen salmon fillets? I was thinking I could cook the frozen fillet about halfway, then put the coating on?

• Jessica — January 14th, 2011 @ 1:08 pm

I think it would definitely work, but I wouldn’t cook them halfway. I would let them completely defrost, then pat them dry and start from there!

Sommer J — January 14, 2011 @ 1:14 pm

What an interesting twist! This looks delicious, I love anything with pecans.

Amanda (Eating Up) — January 14, 2011 @ 1:24 pm

Cinnamon salmon is a winner in my book every time!

Heather — January 14, 2011 @ 1:25 pm

love this dish…i don’t know if nate would dig the cinnamon, but i know i would! i’ll just eat his piece ;)

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — January 14, 2011 @ 1:25 pm

This looks so good! Love the use of pecans and cinnamon!

Bethany @Bridezilla Bakes — January 14, 2011 @ 1:29 pm

I’m like your Mr — no pecans for me! But I love fish with a crunchy coating, and I can see how this wouldn’t really even taste pecan-y at the end. Looks great!

brandi — January 14, 2011 @ 1:32 pm

That sounds (and looks) SO good! I love making crusts for fish and chicken, but I would never think to use cinnamon.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — January 14, 2011 @ 1:36 pm

Pecans? Salmon? Both two things I adore. This sounds awesome Jess!

Victoria (District Chocoholic) — January 14, 2011 @ 1:40 pm

Next in the lineup: Cocoa-pecan crusted salmon. Or beef. I’m undecided.

Kristina @ Life as Kristina — January 14, 2011 @ 1:50 pm

Wow..I don’t even like salmon and this still looks really good!!!!

Matt — January 14, 2011 @ 1:51 pm

GENIUS.

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — January 14, 2011 @ 1:59 pm

Cinnamon and pecans are two ingredients that I use ALL the time in baking, but would never have thought to use them with fish! This sounds great!!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — January 14, 2011 @ 2:08 pm

I’m pretty sure I would give up m y vegetarian habits to eat this fish.. just saying.

Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl — January 14, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

This sounds so good! And it doesn’t sound overly sweet so I might be able to fly it under the husband’s radar :)

Heather @ Side of Sneakers — January 14, 2011 @ 2:26 pm

That sounds insanely delicious. I need to find some salmon asap.

Katie — January 14, 2011 @ 2:31 pm

Holy cow…this is awesome. I would have to trick my hub into eating it, too -but no doubt he would love the end result. As would I. :-)

amanda — January 14, 2011 @ 2:35 pm

I love salmon but never had it sweeten before…

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — January 14, 2011 @ 2:46 pm

This sounds so different!! I love salmon, pecans, and bbq sauce- so something tells me I will love this :)

Stephanie — January 14, 2011 @ 2:47 pm

Salmon is my very favorite…this recipe looks amazing!!!

Jennifer (keepitsimplefoods) — January 14, 2011 @ 2:47 pm

Love salmon. Looks delicious!

Maria — January 14, 2011 @ 2:50 pm

Love the crust!

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life — January 14, 2011 @ 3:08 pm

Delicious-looking recipe. I continue to be impressed with your creativity.

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean — January 14, 2011 @ 3:08 pm

i MUST try this…maybe next week since i just had salmon…but yum….sounds so good!

Jeanette — January 14, 2011 @ 3:23 pm

Yum, this sounds fun, like having candied nuts for dinner!

Erica — January 14, 2011 @ 3:24 pm

Cinnamon is an interesting add in! I wouldn’t think to put cinnamon with fish. I love how you sneak certain ingredients to your husband…I do the same with Josh

Moni'sMeals — January 14, 2011 @ 3:40 pm

This is so clever! I am dying to know what this taste like. So creative.
    I hope to try is soon.:)

Sruthi @ Exercise, Food & Beyond — January 14, 2011 @ 3:49 pm

This looks delicious, I have never thought of using pecans for crust.

Chicago Cuisine Critique — January 14, 2011 @ 3:54 pm

Wow, this looks beyond incredible. I don’t know that I would have thought to add cinnamon, but the combination sounds incredible. I need to try this asap!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — January 14, 2011 @ 3:59 pm

I love tricking mine too. It’s always amazing to see the look on his face when i say, oh that was make with kale and beans, or whatever…lol

This fish looks amazing! just the cinny/pecan mixture would be fantastic!

Natalia - a side of simple — January 14, 2011 @ 4:17 pm

All I got from this was butter and cinnamonn and I’m still swooning ;)

amy — January 14, 2011 @ 4:33 pm

that looks ridiculously good!! definitely going to try that one! thanks!

Lisa @Thrive Style — January 14, 2011 @ 4:37 pm

That looks amazing!

Krystina (Basil & Wine) — January 14, 2011 @ 4:38 pm

The rich buttery flavor of salmon would mesh PERFECTLY with cinnamon. I bet it’d be awesome with some lovely whipped sweet potatoes.

Amy (Sing For Your Supper) — January 14, 2011 @ 5:21 pm

Wow, this looks so delicious!

Lisa — January 14, 2011 @ 5:35 pm

Wow, that salmon looks fantastic. You did a great job making it.

• Jessica — January 14th, 2011 @ 5:38 pm

Thanks!

Ann — January 14, 2011 @ 5:43 pm

This salmon looks fabulous. I’m going to have to find some of that BBQ sauce. It’s one of my drugs of choice too.

Amy @ whatjewwannaeat — January 14, 2011 @ 5:46 pm

Yes please! You could nut crust pretty much anything and I would be all over it.

Heather — January 14, 2011 @ 6:20 pm

So mad at myself! I picked up that glaze TWICE at Whole Foods the other day, but put it back! This recipe looks great! One of my New Year’s resolutions is to eat more fish. Can’t wait to try this out…guess I’ll be using regular BBQ sauce! :(

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Cinnamon Pecan Crusted Salmon. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #2 – Cinnamon Pecan Crusted Salmon « Ella Rose Entertaining

3. Pingback: year of the rabbit « wild world

4. Pingback: TRADITIONAL March 2011 Menu (OAMC, Once A Month Cooking, Freezer Cooking) | OAMC from Once A Month Mom

5. Pingback: Gluten-free Cinnamon and Pecan Crusted Salmon | The Queen of Quinoa | Gluten-free + Quinoa Recipes

6. Pingback: piece of cake: not as if | de novo

7. Pingback: Cinnamon Pecan Crusted Salmon | Home Recipes Catalog

8. Pingback: five baked faves | de novo

9. Pingback: Marge Burkell – 11 Low-Carb Salmon Recipes to Drool Over!