As I scraped up the last drops of my hummus yesterday with a salty pita chip, I couldn’t help but think that the empty container looked like it had housed peanut butter.

Then I immediately opened up the peanut butter jar and gingerly spread some on my getting-soggy chip, right next to the hummus.

Curiosity got the best of me.

And it was delicious!

Next thing I know, I’ve got an open can of chickpeas drained and rinsed, about to be pulverized in the food processor with a few globs of peanut butter and a sprinkling of smoked paprika.

If it didn’t work out, I would have to tread back to the grocery store, making my second trip in one day. I didn’t want to start Monday off without any hummus in the fridge. This would inevitably lead to 3-5 more trips this coming week. It’s just how I do things here.

But it worked. Over and over again.

I tried it with a pita chip. I tried it on toast. I tried it right off the spoon. I tried it on a sandwich. I tried it with a pretzel. I tried it with an animal cracker. I’m weird.

I even tried it with a red pepper. That’s a vegetable in case you didn’t know. Even weirder.

Last Spring, I fell in love with hummus, but was not a fan of the flavored varieties so much.

Things have changed. And no, I’m not talking about my jeans size.

This is not a sweet hummus. Yes, it pains me to say that… but it is worth it.

It is quite savory with just a hint of peanut flavor – almost like a peanut dipping sauce or peanut satay sauce. It is perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner… or if you’re anything like me, all 3.

Don’t be afraid. The combination may sound odd, but I promise with one swipe of a pita chip, you will be addicted too.

Peanut Butter Hummus

makes about 1 1/2 cups

1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed

2 heaping tablespoons of peanut butter

1/4 cup olive oil

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika

Shell chickpeas if you wish. Add chickpeas to food processor and process until finely ground. Add peanut butter and mix until combined. With the food processor on, stream in olive oil through the top. You may need to add more to meet your desired consistency. Add salt, pepper and paprika and mix.

Garnish with a sprinkling of smoked paprika. Serve with veggies and pita chips.

Go ahead. Dive right in.

140 Responses to “Creamy Peanut Butter Hummus.”

Blog is the New Black — January 3, 2011 @ 11:57 am

Jessica, I’m intrigued. At first I thought you went off the deep end, until I got to the part about it not being sweet… more like a peanut satay sauce… incredible!

Hannah — January 3, 2011 @ 11:58 am

Oh, I’ve been doing this for months! It’s utterly awesome. I’ve also roasted chickpeas with peanuts (and, would you believe, smoked paprika?) for the crispier version :)

• Jessica — January 3rd, 2011 @ 12:01 pm

I love roasted chickpeas so much so I will need to try that!

• Hannah — January 3rd, 2011 @ 12:12 pm

In all honesty, I like it even better with pistachios and/or cashews, and of course all kinds of spices work well too!

• Jessica — January 3rd, 2011 @ 12:16 pm

Good to know – thanks girl!

Nourhan @ Miss Anthropist's Kitchen — January 3, 2011 @ 11:59 am

What a weird combination! When I read that it wasn’t sweet I was slightly confused but I think I can imagine the taste now! I will definitely have to try this. :)

Blond Duck — January 3, 2011 @ 12:10 pm

See, I’ve never liked hummus because it always seemed too bland. I was just missing the PB!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — January 3, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

You are a genius. Peanut butter instead of tahini? I’ll totally take that!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — January 3, 2011 @ 12:32 pm

This sounds amazing! My friend makes this. Its so delicious :)

Jane B — January 3, 2011 @ 12:39 pm

I’m a hummus nut and this version sounds fantastic. I’ve had a roasted pumpkin peanut butter hummus before and it was delicious, a bit sweet with the pumpkin and salty with the peanut butter…it’s worth experimenting with the idea anyway!

• Jessica — January 3rd, 2011 @ 2:05 pm

That sounds incredible!

Salah@myhealthiestlife — January 3, 2011 @ 12:43 pm

oh my goodness…this sounds weird but amazing all at the same time!! haha

Lauren at KeepItSweet — January 3, 2011 @ 12:46 pm

I’ll eat anything with peanut butter, so I am really interested in this! Happy New Year:-)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — January 3, 2011 @ 12:52 pm

Oh I LOVE hummus, and I obviously love PB. My two favorite condiments. This is such a good idea!!

Erica — January 3, 2011 @ 1:06 pm

Broccoli hut has TONS of recipes for hummus on her blog and I think one of them is for a peanut buttery hummus. I have yet to try it but have always wanted to. Yours looks super creamy. Hummus….so good.

Julie @SavvyEats — January 3, 2011 @ 1:18 pm

I’ve made dessert-like hummus, but never a savory PB version. I need to try this ASAP!

Tiffany @ Conor & Bella — January 3, 2011 @ 1:19 pm

Sounds interesting! I love hummus and I love peanut butter, so why not??

Haleigh — January 3, 2011 @ 1:23 pm

I will definitely try this recipe, if only for it’s uniqueness :)

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life — January 3, 2011 @ 1:26 pm

Sounds (and looks) delicious! I always think chickpeas really smell when they come out of the can and that has prevented me from making hummus so far but you’ve inspired me!

• Jessica — January 3rd, 2011 @ 2:04 pm

You can buy the dry ones and make them yourself too. No smell. :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — January 3, 2011 @ 1:28 pm

This is such an amazing recipe!! I love hummus, and PB (who doesn’t??) I wonder if peanut flour would make it a little more nutty in flavour. Definitely going to have to try this one!

• Jessica — January 3rd, 2011 @ 2:04 pm

Oooh it might!

Kylie @ A Hungry Spoon — January 3, 2011 @ 1:30 pm

I absolutely love peanut sauce with veggies, so I imagine that peanut butter hummus would be right up my ally :) Unfortunately I’ve never been that creative with hummus before, and have yet to stray from the chickpea-tahini-garlic variety.

• Jessica — January 3rd, 2011 @ 2:03 pm

You gotta try it!

Katrina — January 3, 2011 @ 1:39 pm

This is so creative!! Awesome idea, I’m going to try it today!

Krystina (Basil & Wine) — January 3, 2011 @ 1:45 pm

I think this sounds fantastic!

Kristina @ Life as Kristina — January 3, 2011 @ 1:47 pm

This sounds deadly and oh so fabulous!!!!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — January 3, 2011 @ 1:49 pm

Were you in my kitchen yesterday? I was just talking about making a peanut hummus, but I want to try it with boiled peanuts. They are a nut so I thought the combination of boiled peanuts and chickpeas would be good. I am definitely trying it now. I am a homemade hummus kind of gal. I have tried the store bought stuff and it has too much going on and the flavors always taste fake to me. Yours looks delicious and I am so proud of you for eating your veggies!

• Jessica — January 3rd, 2011 @ 2:03 pm

Funny! And I’ve never had a boiled peanut. Would love to try one!

Healthy chocoholic — January 3, 2011 @ 1:52 pm

You are a genius!!!!!!!! This looks amazing! And guess what I happen to have in my pantry right now? Chickpeas!

megan @ whatmegansmaking — January 3, 2011 @ 1:54 pm

I haven’t made hummus in what feels like forever. I’ve got a can of chickpeas in the cupboard just waiting to be made into hummus (or roasted…i can’t decide). Your peanut butter version intrigues me. It makes me a little nervous, but you haven’t steered me wrong yet…

shelly (cookies and cups) — January 3, 2011 @ 1:59 pm

This sounds so great…completely unusual, but I think I would love it!

grocery goddess jen — January 3, 2011 @ 2:01 pm

Mmmm…I have added peanut or almond butter to chickpeas to make hummus before, but the addition of smoked paprika is very tempting!

maggie — January 3, 2011 @ 2:06 pm

I wasn’t sold until you compared it to a peanut satay sauce…I’m known in my family for liking unusual food combinations though, so I bet this is awesome! Hummus is a major weakness of mine…I can plow through a container in about 15 minutes.

Victoria (District Chocoholic) — January 3, 2011 @ 2:13 pm

This would be awesome with grilled chicken tenders. Absolutely awesome.

• Jessica — January 3rd, 2011 @ 2:18 pm

Mmmm yes it would.

Jennifer — January 3, 2011 @ 2:17 pm

Interesting! My fiance is a peanut butter junkie. I’ll have to make this for him sometime.

Camille — January 3, 2011 @ 2:22 pm

This is definitely a crazy idea, but I am intrigued! I have had a can of chickpeas sitting in my pantry for like, 2 weeks, so I think they may now have a home!

• Jessica — January 3rd, 2011 @ 2:25 pm

I hope you try it!

Liana @ femme fraiche — January 3, 2011 @ 2:25 pm

Seriously, write a book. Your mind is so ingeniously creative!!

Kacy — January 3, 2011 @ 2:34 pm

That sounds really good! Maybe similar to tahini?

• Jessica — January 3rd, 2011 @ 2:35 pm

A little bit! But definitely more peanuty.

Noelle — January 3, 2011 @ 2:36 pm

I believe you. I am working on my batch of hummus I made 2 days ago! I made a mediterranean pizza I will feature on website tomorrow. I think you would LOVE it. :)

• Jessica — January 3rd, 2011 @ 3:37 pm

I can’t wait!

Kate @ahealthypassion — January 3, 2011 @ 2:42 pm

Never would have ever thought to combine peanut butter with hummus, but I love them both so I think ill give it a try!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — January 3, 2011 @ 3:08 pm

Yum! I love savory peanut dishes– I’m sure this would be a big hit with me!

Alaina — January 3, 2011 @ 3:10 pm

Another dish to fuel my peanut butter addiction? Love it! :-)

Caitlin — January 3, 2011 @ 3:23 pm

Considering I love me some peanut sauce on my Thai, this might be worth the effort of finding my Mum’s food processor and getting down and dirty. I can’t believe you just whipped it up like this! Amazing.

Jennifer (Savor) — January 3, 2011 @ 3:32 pm

Awesome! we are huge hummus fans – in fact, I will be sharing a sweet potato hummus this week.

• Jessica — January 3rd, 2011 @ 3:37 pm

Sweet potato hummus sounds delicious!

Di — January 3, 2011 @ 3:33 pm

I actually have all of those ingredients and since this sounds absolutely amazing, I may have to give it a shot.

…after I finish the 3 tubs of hummus that currently reside in my fridge. :)

• Jessica — January 3rd, 2011 @ 3:37 pm

I need to learn to start buying 3-4 tubs at a time.

• Di — January 3rd, 2011 @ 3:39 pm

I actually inherited these by having a few gatherings at my place. Someone always brings at least one tub…and they’re all party sized. I’ve got Roasted Red Pepper, Original, and Garlic Lovers. Just let other people buy them for you! ;)

Katie — January 3, 2011 @ 3:34 pm

I love anything savory, peanut flavored, and hummus. I’ve tried hummus with almond butter instead of tahini too, but I didn’t like it so much. Turns out I think I just don’t like almond butter. I bet it would be great with cashews though – super creamy.

• Jessica — January 3rd, 2011 @ 3:36 pm

A girl after my own heart! I think almond butter is disgusting.

Peggy — January 3, 2011 @ 3:43 pm

Sounds like you’ve struck gold here! Can’t wait to try this out!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen — January 3, 2011 @ 4:03 pm

Love the idea of the peanut butter in there!

Shanna, like Banana — January 3, 2011 @ 4:04 pm

Hmm, hesitant at first, but I think I may be on board! Nice combo! I bet you could add some salty peanuts for some extra crunch too!

• Jessica — January 3rd, 2011 @ 5:13 pm

I wanted to add some crushed peanuts on top but was out of them. I think that would be delish.

Laura @ Meet Virginia — January 3, 2011 @ 4:12 pm

Just another reason why I need a food processor, darn!

• Jessica — January 3rd, 2011 @ 5:12 pm

Oh Laura… you do!

megan — January 3, 2011 @ 4:56 pm

Who would of ever thought? Well…, besides you? ;) Looks very interesting!And delicious!!

Heather — January 3, 2011 @ 5:08 pm

What a great idea! I’m allergic to tahini (and peanut butter) so store bought hummus is out of the question for me. I could sub soy nut butter in for peanut butter though. I’ve tried making my own hummus but it is never as smooth because it is missing the fat.

Thanks for posting!

• Jessica — January 3rd, 2011 @ 5:12 pm

Heather, do you take the shells off the chickpeas? That helps make the hummus really smooth and creamy!

Lisa @Thrive Style — January 3, 2011 @ 5:38 pm

Wow! A combo I would never think of, but a definitely eagerly going to try! Thanks for experimenting and sharing :)

I’m a huge fan of hummus, so it wouldn’t be hard for me to want to try and hummus-y recipe, but suggest adding peanut butter (one of my other loves)…and I’m practically out the door on the way to the store!

~Lisa

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather — January 3, 2011 @ 5:51 pm

Peanut butter instead of tahini?! Sounds so yummy. I love satay sauce, it’s one of my favorites.

Lauren — January 3, 2011 @ 5:56 pm

I think this sounds heavenly! Peanut butter and hummus are my two favorite condiments, and pairing them together must be delicious. Great idea to sub in pb for the traditional tahini! I have a spicy peanut butter at home waiting for inspiration, and this recipe is the perfect use for it :).

lindsay — January 3, 2011 @ 5:56 pm

I like the spice added! I was going to make a nut butter hummus with honey and banana. YOu’ve totally inspired me. Thanks for sharing friend!
    LC

• Jessica — January 3rd, 2011 @ 6:17 pm

Oh my gosh I LOVE peanut butter, banana and honey! That would be incredible.

Jess — January 3, 2011 @ 6:09 pm

Oh my word, you’ve combined two of my fave foods..i must try this! Thanks!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Peanut Butter Hummus | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Friday Favorites – Episode 76 | my kitchen addiction

3. Pingback: Peanut Butter Hummus | Foodbeast Peanut Butter Hummus | Because We're Hungry.

4. Pingback: Fruity Asian Salad «

5. Pingback: Hummus Obsession | Happiness is a warm oven.

6. Pingback: How To Make Peanut Butter Hummus | UniqueDaily.com

7. Pingback: Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bread | How Sweet It Is

8. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #16 – Creamy Peanut Butter Hummus « Ella Rose Entertaining

9. Pingback: Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus Recipe: Healthy Chickpea Dip, Tortilla Chips — Family Fresh Cooking

10. Pingback: WIAW: A Confession | The Tie Dye Files

11. Pingback: Weekend Round-up (17.04.11) « Fixations of a Canadian Twentysomething

12. Pingback: Peanut Butter Hummus « Bashfulbao