If you have never tasted gooey butter cake, well friends… I’m sorry to say that you haven’t lived.

Pop on over to The Pioneer Woman’s Tasty Kitchen to see my post on Gooey Butter Cake and instantly gain 10 pounds. It’s worth it. I promise.

87 Responses to “Gooey Butter Cake.”

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner — January 20, 2011 @ 3:44 pm

Scrumptious!

Kristen — January 20, 2011 @ 5:23 pm

I’ve made this a few times – heaven. The best variation… like makes your teeth hurt but you eat half of it before you even know it … is chocolate base w/ toffee bits and toasted pecans stirred into the filling. DO IT! I’ve even gone as far as to add cocoa powder to the cream cheese layer. I have dessert issues.

Katie W — January 20, 2011 @ 7:42 pm

If you like gooey butter cake, you should try gooey butter cookies! So soft and equally as delicious!

Carrie — January 20, 2011 @ 9:01 pm

In the south we call these Chess Squares – sinfully delicious!

Maris (In Good Taste) — January 20, 2011 @ 9:20 pm

These sound fantastic. Yum!

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — January 21, 2011 @ 12:31 am

Oh girl, I’ve made several of these cakes myself! There’s a restaurant near where I live called Bonge’s Tavern and they make this in a chocolate variety too. Sinful!

ryan — January 21, 2011 @ 6:44 am

I just finished making two batches… felt slightly guilty about springing this on my friends but eh they’ll get over it :) my trainer thanks you for a portion of my pudge!

Jane B — January 21, 2011 @ 11:27 am

Congrats on being a contributor for Tasty Kitchen! That’s awesome news.
    I just want to pick this cake off the screen and eat it…it sounds incredible.

natalie (the sweets life) — January 21, 2011 @ 7:38 pm

I live in St. Louis and we take our gooey butter cake seriously! :) I’ve never tried making it from scratch, I can’t wait! Thanks Jessica!

Manu @ Chez Manu - Italian Home Cooking — January 22, 2011 @ 8:10 am

Looks sooo yummy! Will surely try it! Thanks for posting!

AnnotatedLA — January 23, 2011 @ 4:02 pm

As a native St. Louisian, gooey butter cake pretty much is s staple. What I love is the bakery down the street which makes nothing but the stuff and in unimaginable flavors.

The original rocks the socks off, and should be experienced first, but other flavors definitely work well too.

Makes me want to nom some this morning.

SherRon — January 24, 2011 @ 9:16 pm

This was you?! I’ve been fantasizing about this cake ever since I read the post. I’ve been experiencing some very vivid (pregnancy) dreams that include this cake.

gooeybuttergirl — July 31, 2011 @ 2:26 am

Hey there Gooey butter cake is Amazing! St. Louis is the home of it all. I actually have a small dessert business and have my own personally created recipes for gooey butter cake and cookies in over 25 flavors! Omg its so good! absolute must try

virginia taylor — August 8, 2011 @ 4:01 pm

i am looking for an old gooey butter cake recipe that has yeast in it. can anyone help me

Caitlyn — August 28, 2011 @ 9:18 pm

Look’s delish – where do I find the recipe?

MissMeshow — February 2, 2012 @ 2:07 am

Sounds delicious. I began searching for a recipe after having a Gooey Louie butter cake. Thanks for taking the initiative to change it from a cake mix version, because I didn’t want one that starts with a mix. Can’t wait to surprise my co-workers with one of these babies!

Amanda — January 29, 2013 @ 11:35 am

I’ve never had gooey butter cake before and this was good – almost too sweet for our taste though. I liked it much better after it had been sitting for a while and gotten totally cold.

aysh — March 23, 2013 @ 7:58 pm

Should you keep it in the fridge if there are any leftovers?

Sharon Johnson — September 10, 2013 @ 9:18 pm

Thank you so much for printing the recipe for Gooey Butter Cake. I have had this recipe for over 30 years but recently I misplaced it. My mother-in-law found this recipe in the newspaper in Corpus Christi, TX. The name of it was “Better Than Sex” cake. And trust me, many people I’ve served have totally agreed with that name. I, like some others who have commented, have made this using chocolate. This has gone over well since most of my family and friends consists of ‘big time’ chocoholics. I have never added anything such as chips, nuts, etc. and see no reason to do so. As the old saying goes ‘if it ain’t broke, why fix it?’

Tom — March 7, 2014 @ 11:15 am

I’m looking for a recipe for a butter cake made by an old German bakery that was about a 1/2 inch high with a delicious butter sauce running all across the top.

1. Pingback: Apple Peanut Butter Snack Bars | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: Tweets that mention Gooey Butter Cake | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

3. Pingback: Uh Oh. | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: Inspiration in Abundance « A Fox In The Kitchen

5. Pingback: Don’t Miss a Beet! | The Healthy Apron

6. Pingback: Gooey Butter Cake | See Layne…

7. Pingback: Gooey Butter Cake | livelovepasta