And I survived!

For some reason, roasting a chicken has scared me to death. Most likely because I despise touching raw meat. But today, I conquered those fears, even if I was screaming like a little girl the entire time.

Sometimes I get an idea in my head and it does not leave until I accomplish the task. I’ve been obsessed with the idea of roasting the chicken since last week, so I finally picked one up yesterday.

Maybe not my wisest decision, since this has already been quite a traumatic weekend. But I don’t regret it now.

After asking for lots of help via Facebook and Twitter, I loosely followed Ina’s recipe but decided to shove a can of beer up it’s rear.

I also saw a picture of beer can chicken with an apple shoved down it’s neck, so after stuffing 7 garlic cloves down there, I put in half a lemon. I figured it would work too! I also mixed about 1/3 cup of butter with some thyme, and rubbed it throughly under the skin and all over the top. That was fun.

I chopped some potatoes, fennel and parsnips to add to the bottom of the pan because it was what I had on hand. I also dumped about half of the can of beer in the bottom.

Mr. How Sweet and I clearly are four years old because we could not stop laughing at how funny this looked. He kept bringing up the episode of Friends where Monica puts the turkey on her head.

I roasted it at 425 degrees for about 1 1/2 hours.

I didn’t take many photos because we were too lost in the moment, but it was so delicious. Mr. How Sweet is still moaning over how good it tasted. He gave me the best compliment ever: “you just make this look so easy.” The crispy skin is amazing. If you haven’t roasted a chicken, you must do so soon.

I’m emotionally exhausted. Happy Sunday!

81 Responses to “I Roasted a Chicken!”

Chelsea — January 24, 2011 @ 1:45 am

Haha, right as I saw this I thought of Monica! That does look super funny. And Mr. How Sweet (aka Bradley Cooper) is right on — you make it look ssooo easy!

• Laura @ GotChocolate.com — January 25th, 2011 @ 6:26 am

That does look easy! Makes me want to try to make it this weekend!!!

Sooo, what was for DESSERT????? Something Chocolaty???

Evan Thomas — January 24, 2011 @ 1:45 am

My favorite thing about Thanksgiving was stuffing 3 onions up that turkey’s tush. I’ve never tried a beer can before, but now I want to.

Courtney — January 24, 2011 @ 1:46 am

This looks delicious!! I’m still terrified of touching Turkey on Thanksgiving. I’m not I’ll ever overcome that fear.

Lauren at KeepItSweet — January 24, 2011 @ 1:47 am

We have only roasted a chicken once but you are inspiring me to try it again soon. Love that episode of Friends:-)

Blog is the New Black — January 24, 2011 @ 1:47 am

I’m scared to roast a chicken, too… but now I’ll try it, since you did! :)

Rebekah — January 24, 2011 @ 1:49 am

This looks amazing! I think I am gonna have to try it!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — January 24, 2011 @ 1:49 am

I love that Friends episode!!!

I hope the insides were already cleaned out for you. That is something I cannot do.

• Jessica — January 24th, 2011 @ 1:52 am

They weren’t. :( I had to do that. That was the hardest part. I absolutely can’t handle raw meat because all I think of is the veins/gristle/etc. This is a huge reason I can rarely eat the meat I make Mr. How Sweet.

Angela@RecipesFromMyMom — January 24, 2011 @ 1:49 am

I think that chicken looks proud to have come out of your oven. Bravo!

Someone recently told me about doing a chicken on the grill with a root beer – I’m not so sure about this idea.

• Jessica — January 24th, 2011 @ 1:52 am

It sounds really good to me!

Katie — January 24, 2011 @ 1:50 am

Good for you!! Meeker loves roasting chicken, so we’ve done it a few times. My favorite was is on the grill (on low heat) because it doesn’t have to be in the house and raw chicken kind of skeeves me out, too. But it always ends up tasting delicious in the end.

Hope you get some rest tonight, and glad Mr. How Sweet is doing better!

Alaina - The Jogging Concierge — January 24, 2011 @ 1:50 am

I’ve never roasted a chicken either. Although I successfully made a turkey a couple of weeks ago. Not clearly as dressed up as yours though. :-)

Jess — January 24, 2011 @ 1:53 am

YAY you did it :D

Missy — January 24, 2011 @ 1:53 am

I have been waiting/hoping for pictures and a post after seeing all the tweets on Twitter! I loved roasted chicken – nothing like that crispy skin or how it carmelizes on the bottom of pan, especially with onions!
    Great job!

Jenn L @ Peas & Crayons — January 24, 2011 @ 1:53 am

lol the chicken is just sitting there like a little cartoon character — it’s cracking me up! sooo golden and yummy looking!

Aimee Shugarman — January 24, 2011 @ 1:54 am

That is so funny, I just hacked up my first whole chicken in preparing to make coq au vin tomorrow for dinner. It was not a pretty sight, and Julia Child would laugh if she saw what I did to this poor thing! In my defense, it had a neck still attached, and I just was so creeped out I wanted to be done with it!

Lisa@ Dishes of Mrs. Fish — January 24, 2011 @ 1:57 am

Once my husband gets back from this two week long business trip. I’m buying myself a chicken, roasting one too! I have seen where you can do it in the crockpot too, but this sounds so much better!

Sherry Greek — January 24, 2011 @ 1:58 am

Way to go! Hope your coming week gets easier.

Andrea — January 24, 2011 @ 2:01 am

I’m so glad you tried it! I’ve yet to roast a chicken…but I think I’ll be terrified the first time I try it. I don’t like touching raw meat either. :/
    It looks terrific, and the ingredients you used sound delish.

Lisa — January 24, 2011 @ 2:06 am

I love roasted chicken. Have for dinner one night, use any leftovers for chicken salad, and then make stock with the bones.

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean — January 24, 2011 @ 2:08 am

i know how you feel! i roasted my first chicken this past year. it was scary….but it turned out well and made it all worth it! makes you feel proud doesn’t it?!

Autumn @ Good Eats Girl — January 24, 2011 @ 2:09 am

Haha! That’s a great episode of Friends!

When I roast a chicken, I cannot bring myself to touch the chicken. My husband always does it while I tell him exactly what to do. I never have problems touching meat, but when it comes to a whole bird, I don’t do well!

Stephanie — January 24, 2011 @ 2:13 am

Roasted chicken is seriously the best ever! Makes the house smell amazing too! I usually roast w/ onion, lemon, butter and thyme – so very similar to this recipe – can’t go wrong with classic flavors. Great job on the crisp skin too, you definitely do make it look easy :)

Karly — January 24, 2011 @ 2:19 am

I can roast them, but only if I buy the chickens without the neck and whatnot shoved up their rear. Ew. Just ew.

Also, the part about rubbing stuff UNDER the skin? Really? How do you handle that?

Krystina (Basil & Wine) — January 24, 2011 @ 2:20 am

Oh man, that chicken looks GOOD!

ashley@quasichick — January 24, 2011 @ 2:20 am

I’ve never roasted a chicken..I have done a turkey though “in a brown bag” and it was delicious! I am gonna have to give it a try even though raw chicken does kind of freak me out! It looks delicious!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen — January 24, 2011 @ 2:32 am

Roasted chicken is the best, and the skin…mm soo good!

iamthewitch — January 24, 2011 @ 2:33 am

LOVELY roasted chicken! I did something similar before too, showing the lemon up it’s a** and I think it makes ALL the difference! Well done! :)

Hannah — January 24, 2011 @ 2:42 am

Next stop, beer can chicken? :D

Marla @ 180turning30 — January 24, 2011 @ 2:44 am

I also roasted a chicken for the first time recently, and when I blogged about it totally pictured poultry on Monica’s head too! Here’s the ridiculously simple and amazingly juicy recipe I used: http://180turning30.com/2010/12/22/cooking-new-foods-28-kimmy-giblet/

Sana — January 24, 2011 @ 2:46 am

Bahahahahahaha! I am soo with you guys! That looks too funny!

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews — January 24, 2011 @ 2:53 am

Roasting a chicken has always scared me too! It looks like you did a great job though : )

Katie — January 24, 2011 @ 2:57 am

I was giggling about how the chicken looked too. I’m immature, its okay.

I’ve never roasted a chicken and I am scared also. I also don’t like dark meat, so half of it would go to waste anyway. Or at least that’s my excuse.

Bianca @ south bay rants n raves — January 24, 2011 @ 3:17 am

The whole day I’ve been hearing about how good “beer in the rear chicken” is so I guess I need to get over my fear of working with a whole chicken & trying this one out!

Vanessa — January 24, 2011 @ 3:34 am

Crispy chicken skin is so amazing!! The chicken looks like it turned out well!

Natalie — January 24, 2011 @ 3:41 am

Haha! I loved this. Someday, I will get up the nerve to touch raw meat. Until that day, it’s pre-cooked meat and tofu for me!

okac — January 24, 2011 @ 3:42 am

oh man, now I’m craving chicken. That looks yummy!
    Congrats for trying something new!!

Jaryn — January 24, 2011 @ 3:46 am

Next step: dump the carcass in a pot with some carrots, an onion and some celery and boil it for many an hour to make some amazing, healthy stock! (I typically boil mine for about 12 hrs… Until the bones crumble in my fingers to get every last bit of gelatin out of it!)

Cynthia (It All Changes) — January 24, 2011 @ 4:16 am

I shoved onions in the chicken I made for Hunni and my mom after reading Evan’s post :-)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — January 24, 2011 @ 4:17 am

Following anything by Ina is a good start. She and Jeffrey are the roasted chicken Mr & Mrs :)

I was seriously going to email you. Glad to see a post from you. Been thinking about you all weekend :)

Beth — January 24, 2011 @ 4:28 am

It looks delicious!!! I just ventured in to a new area of roast chicken…flattened roast chicken. Now, you do have to cut out the backbone, but…it was divine. Check the Mad Hungry blog for flattened chicken. Amazing.

Kristina @ spabettie — January 24, 2011 @ 6:37 am

I LOVE that episode with Monica + the Turkey On Head… although I could never do it… I am the same way, the thought of touching a raw chicken freaks me out.

*shudder*

I always thought if I could do it, I’d do the beer can… so, does it make it awesome? tender? beer-tasty?

it looks fabulous (and funny…)

thought of you two over the weekend… hope the Mr. is all better, and things are back to normal. <3

Gen — January 24, 2011 @ 10:46 am

Sounds delish! Beer can chicken is really tasty! =D

marcellina — January 24, 2011 @ 11:42 am

Roast chicken is my husband’s favourite meal! I love the way yours sits up eager to be roasted! So cute!

Kristy — January 24, 2011 @ 11:45 am

Your chicken looks great! Roasting a chicken still scares me, my biggest problem is not knowing if it’s cooked through unless it has the little pop up timer! Lol great job!

Becca — January 24, 2011 @ 12:32 pm

*standing up and applauding your brave nature and “go get ‘em” attitude*

Incidentally, beer can chicken is INCREDIBLE when made on a charcoal grill. Want to kick it up to the next level (it’s how I live…how I roll…par for the course)…. wrap that bad boy bird in BACON the next time you make it.
    You can thank me later… :-)

Erica — January 24, 2011 @ 12:53 pm

yayyyyy! I think even roasting just the breasts on the bone makes a huge difference in the taste. I plan to do more roasting in the upcoming months

megan @ blackberries for jam — January 24, 2011 @ 1:12 pm

I have been both obsessed and terrified of the idea of roasting a chicken for a while. I have the same issues with raw meat. But I think it’s time I put on the big girl panties and step up to the challenge. Thanks for the nudge, and the recipe!

Amanda — January 24, 2011 @ 1:52 pm

Great job girl… looks fantastic! And I bet tasted even better!

brandi — January 24, 2011 @ 1:54 pm

yay! I knew you’d love it :) And it’s SO easy, right? It seems like it would be so complicated and time consuming, but it does most of the work itself.

PS: my favorite risotto combo so far? Bacon + butternut squash + parm. YUM.

• Jessica — January 24th, 2011 @ 2:11 pm

That sounds amazing!

HappyWhenNotHungry — January 24, 2011 @ 1:59 pm

I’ve never roasted a chicken, but I def need to get on that b/c yours looks delicious!

Kim in MD — January 24, 2011 @ 2:45 pm

Yum…I love beer can chicken! My husband and I love to grill it (indirectly) during the warmer months. I have never tried it in the oven, though. I will definately be trying this! Thanks, Jessica!

Oh-and the chicken does look funny sitting on that beer throne, doesn’t it? LOL! :-)

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention I Roasted a Chicken! | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Apple Risotto with Toasted Pecans | How Sweet It Is